Jimquisition: The Best Looking Game of This Generation

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Why do people think I am in some sort of arms race with Extra Credits?
Apparently we're not allowed to like Extra Credits on this website anymore, so we get a sort of perverse glee imagining you destroying them on a weekly basis.
Extra credits took our donation money and left our site. I view it as a giant slap in the face to the community.

On topic, I love how wind waker aged. I always believed it to be a gorgeous game. I hope cell shading makes a come back. WoW and SWTOR have their own art styles over raw graphical power and I think its the right way to go for long term projects.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
budokai 3 (NOT TENKAICHI) may not be the best looking game, but it should deserve credit for one of the best looking fighter games

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
You say I'm wasting my HD display playing Battlefield 3 (or under-utilizing it or something). I say I wouldn't be able to pick out enemies from the blurry background if I didn't have HD resolution. But I CAN see big blobs of bright-ass colors on an SD screen... hmmmmm.

Personally I don't feel vibrant colors are required to make great visuals, and certainly am not going to play Pinata whatchacallit. Little Big Planet was colorful- bored the snot out of me.

As a middle ground between grisly monochromatic shooters and candy-colored kiddy games, what about Halo Reach? Look up in the sky to see that you are on a moon orbiting a gas giant, the backdrops in that game looked awesome. And some of the enemies wore purple.

I emphatically disagree with you that most colorful/cartoony = best graphics.

android88

Jul 21, 2011
I'm still playing SNES games on my Wii, Call of Duty on the other hand I traded in as soon as I could. That says everything when I find Donkey Kong Country 2 more apealling than a current gen game.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
Sorry Jim, that isn't how you spell Mirror's Edge, which continues to be the most beautiful game I've ever played. Plus, Crysis 2 had a good color scheme as well, and is easily the most technically advanced game in regards to it's graphical capabilities. Not to mention Journey, which on the Descent level literally brought tears to my eyes and made me want to get a giant print of the scene I was watching. (see ~3:20 of the video) Hell, what about Rayman: Origins, or even TF2?

I do agree with your other points though. But really you're just preaching to the choir at this point. I've been ardently complaining about the Grimdarkness that has infested many games lately for years now.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
See, I was going to agree with you 100% on Viva Pinata, but now there's other examples like Rayman Origins, Just Cause 2 and Mirror's Edge amongst others that have been suggested and I just can't choose.

I do agree the Wind Waker is the best looking game of last gen though. And I vaguely remember people doubting the graphics of it when it came out. Fools!

And now I want to play Wind Waker, which I don't have any more. I am sad now. And I want a new Sonic Generations, Mirror's Edge and Viva Pinata. A man can dream, can't he?

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
See, I was going to agree with you 100% on Viva Pinata, but now there's other examples like Rayman Origins, Just Cause 2 and Mirror's Edge amongst others that have been suggested and I just can't choose.

I do agree the Wind Waker is the best looking game of last gen though. And I vaguely remember people doubting the graphics of it when it came out. Fools!

And now I want to play Wind Waker, which I don't have any more. I am sad now. And I want a new Sonic Generations, Mirror's Edge and Viva Pinata. A man can dream, can't he?
Better than having Wind Waker but not being able to finish it because Gamecube memory cards corrupt after so many years =(

I'm in concurrence, though, Wind Waker was incredible in many ways, and it's easily in my top 5 favorite games of all time. Though I may be a little biased.

K84

Feb 15, 2010
Woah, that ending turned me off.
Really? a Lucas joke?, how....un-Jim.
*seeing his gloves*

It's Imposter Jim!

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
A game which I recomend graphically for the same reasons that Jim praises Viva Pinata is Kameo: Elements of power (which funnily enough was also made by Rare)

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
well said jim. This is why Kingdom Hearts looks so amazing to me still

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
Lol! Jim is so full of shit. This point has been made 1000s of times over the years, jim aping it now isn't going to get him any cookie points. And his content is silly as well. All i heard was some rambling about bright colors & cell shaded animations. All the bright colors in the world won't make your game pretty if your character models are poo poo. There is a lot more to the subjects of game aesthetics than bright colors. a lot more. Yet when deciding the best looking of this generation, all we hear is some clique rambling about bright colors.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
amazing, you managed to discuss a topic which has been discussed at extraordinary length in the games industry from many perspectives and do it completely sub-par when compared to any talk.

I could take viva pinata, change the textures and shaders so it is rendered entirely in greyscale and the graphics would be pretty much identical because i would have modified the aesthetics, not the graphics.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Poor Ratchet & Clank, never gets any credit when it comes to articles like these. I still love you, Ratchet & Clank.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
I've always preferred stylized graphics over those that try to be photo-realistic, and this is probably the biggest reason.

Okami and Zelda: Wind Waker still look great by current standards, and they will still look great years and years from now.

I can understand why some people subjectively dislike "cartoony" aesthetics, but objectively speaking, realistic aesthetics age so fast it's almost disorienting.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
H31neken said:
What about The Witcher 2?
witcher 2 is a PC game,

American people like Jim Sterling plays xbox games.

he mentions gears of war, killzone and uncharted first and foremost. because american gamers are exposed to those console games each day, and don't know and even care PC games.

Witcher 2? bah! it is a PC game and holy american gamers should not even consider it...

(btw, my favorite looking game: bastion)