Jimquisition: The Past Is Not The Future

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
The Past Is Not The Future

They say history repeats itself, but that's not always true. Just because something happened with a videogame console over five years ago, that doesn't mean it'll happen again. The past is not the future, and the present is a very different animal.

Watch Video

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Certainly improved after the first few episodes, this was awesomely funny in places.

Also is it just me or is Jim Sterling abit like the Jeremy Clarkson of gaming?

[sub]...probably not, but it sounded clever in my head[/sub]

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Good episode Jim, can't say I've got a good word to say about the 3DS so far.

Togs said:
Certainly improved after the first few episodes, this was awesomely funny in places.

[sub]...probably not, but it sounded clever in my head[/sub]
Nah, Jeremy Clarkson is actually a knobhead...

Strife2GFAQs

Apr 13, 2009
I'm proud to have avoided that horse**** landmine called the 3DS launch. Sure, at the time, I had money to pander to it, but I've kept saying that ports of games I've already played is not justification to buy a new platform. If you already own the original (Snake Eater), buying a NEW console, then BUYING the new version is just wasted money. It's times like these I'm glad Enix has decided to not port DQX to Wii U just yet.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Togs said:

[/sub]
Hes starting to sound that way to me too, good or bad?

Good points this week Jimmy boy, console argument/ranting is still bad enough, but Nintendo (and fans) must know that the 3DS is a very slow cooking turkey. Either it will, as you said, take its time and slow roast to perfection, or they'll serve it too early and we all wind up with salmonella.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I have to wonder, is it really worth getting worked up about, or responding to, the arguments of fans?

I mean... they're fans. Expecting them to speak sense is a something of a lost cause.

PS. Incidentally, I somehow seem to have gone from downright loathing The Jimquisition to rather enjoying it. Hm. Perhaps it's an acquired taste.

quantumcat

May 6, 2011
It's like a love letter to Stealth!

@Zhukov: I think it's a combination of getting used to Jim and I really do think he's improving with each episode.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
We get it, "Fuck Nintendo". It seems at this point you're cherrypicking random unpopular arguments to stick it to them some more. Give it a rest.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Great points all. I really am pretty much coming to the Escapist now for Jimquisition and Miracle of Sound.

Great stuff, keep it up.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
it's about time sony does something right with the PSP2(i refuse to use the stupid pastel-polo-shirt-wearing name it has). I just hope the uncharted title is not the only strong one avaible at launch, i hate uncharted.

also: SUCK IT nintendo fanboys.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
The past is the future. 3Ds is the new PS3 and the Ps3, at its time, was the new N64. So you are wrong. Because of that, take off your shirt and show your sex torso.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Jim, you are starting to make good points on all sides about the 3DS. When the price drop happens, I have been thinking about getting a 3DS, but as someone put it, if I own Snake Eater (And I do, Subsistence and the Original), then Snake Eater 3D is just wasting money.

I wish I could feel for the 3DS, but it still feels like a gimmick and less like an actual gaming system to me. While SNES was my first gaming console (I was 3 when I got mine), it can only serve so much in the way of actual argument for Nintendo's later systems and their expected quality.

I don't know. Now that you've said it, I will probably put 3DS on the backburner until they release at least five or six games I haven't played. So Ocarina of Time doesn't count. They have to release something original, clever and fun in order for me to buy it.

Now, they need to do it at least five more times.

ALSO: Jim, why is it when you bring up your "Thank God" things at the end do I laugh the hardest?

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Good points.
Come to think about it, we have like, 2 approaches here - cheap, smaller games for iOS devices or more expensive large HD games for PS vita. 3DS basically failed because they failed at providing anything really special or superior. They relied on 3D... And nobody fucking want 3D on a mobile platform! FFS, I don't want it in games at all, it makes your perception less sharp. Don't mind it in movies though.

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
Not really surprised. I mean, I kinda figured Nintendo was in trouble when all it did was make sequels. I mean, when was the last time Nintendo came out with an original game concept? They've kinda become the DC and Marvel of game studios, starting out with some great hits but only hashing and rehashing the same things over and over again. (I don't care how good Legend of Zelda is. I want to play something other than that blond freaking elf guy they call Link)