Jimquisition: The Saga Scrolls: Edge of Candy

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
The Saga Scrolls: Edge of Candy

People really wanted a Jimquisition about the Candy Crush thing. This episode exists simply for the purposes of vindication and to stoke the already hot outrage over exploitative bullies and broken legal systems.

Watch Video

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Fun side note. Banner Saga was already done with their Kickstarter before Candy Crush was even out.........
So they are claiming they were copied BEFORE their game came out.

I hate lawyers....

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
An excellent article on this issue, with quite a lot of detail about the laws involved, was on the Guardian [http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/27/candy-crushed-lawyer-view-king-v-stoic] today.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
CrazyFikus said:
Wear nothing but the mask? My good man, share some pics.
My foreknowledge of Jagi and Fist of the North Star in general have really got me curious about weather or not Jim sharpied-on the seven scars Jagi also has...

on topic though...trademarking single words is utter bullcrap though I'm tempted to walk the streets while shouting words with trademarks just to see what happens.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
I think the punishment for patent trolls should be the loss of all patents / trademarks they own, even the legitimate ones. It would be the only way to stop it from happening.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Wow, he actually used the title someone suggested somewhere in the comment section of... Something, I can't remember right now (but the idea for the title stuck with me because it was so hilariously silly).

Anyway, vindication for the win! It might not have been necessary, but it's always nice to hear more people point the obvious absurdity of it all (although it would probably be nice if politicians would be the ones discussing about copyright and/or trademark laws).

themilo504 said:
Is this a American thing or is the copyright law this broken in most nations?
I am from Italy, and as far as I know, the law is different over here.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I'm going to make a game called "The Candy Scroll Saga of Edge"

Set in a nation where Candy making is considered an artform and the scroll is the collected recipes of the greatest candy Chef Ramsey Edge. You play a young Chef named Apple who has left his home seeking to become the very best candy chef the world has ever known, to bake them is his test, perfection is his cause.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
themilo504 said:
Is this a American thing or is the copyright law this broken in most nations?
What goes on in America tends to go for the rest of the world, since if you're say a Swedish game company like Mojang you still want to sell in the US. Unless you're a country like China that mostly does it's own thing.

Anyways, if we had sensible trademark and copyright laws how would the lawyers make any money? We need to keep these valiant souls busy and working hard!

Abnaxis

Aug 15, 2008
I'm really not sure what I think about King games.

On the one hand, saying you have a tradmark on "candy" is a dick move.

On the other hand, when I search for "candy" in the games on the google play store, I get Candy Star, Candy Blitz, Candy Boom, Smash Candy, Candy Blast, Candy Rescue...note that all these results are in the top ten for the search, with many, many more farther down. Clearly, just like any time anything is ever successful on the internet, there's no shortage of dicks trying to leech off the success. I can see where King games might be upset at this.

On the third hand, if you name your product something generic like "Candy Crush Saga," this is just going to happen. I know it's helpful to have something simple and memorable for a brand, but that makes it much easier to copy. Intenet trolls seems like a reasonable price to pay for generic branding.

So yeah, I'm kinda ambivalent on this instance of trademark trolling, which is weird. Tim Langdell can go fuck himself though...

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Another interesting thing to note, the US actually has little respect itself for things like international copyright and trademarks. Everyone's heard the name of stuff like Kobe beef or Champagne. I forget all the details here but these are actually long standing international awarded trade marks for products created in specific regions in the world. The US never used to give a shit for these things though so they just ignore it and have let their own business use the names to sell their products.

I'm Canadian and we pretty much do the same thing, but at least we're not going around the world cock slapping everyone else with copyright & trademark laws that are important to our own businesses.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
You may have trained in darkness mister Sterling but I was born in it!

Butt cereal, copyright laws are a freaking joke. This stuff is so bloody toxic I seriously hope these guys and gals get dogged by online trolls, see how they like struggling every step of the way.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
The trademark and copyright laws desperately need an update; not only to keep creativity alive and well but to keep money-grubbing douche-bags like King.com from pulling shit like this. It's the same kind of greed-fueled idiocy that has led to Donald Trump trying to trademark the words "You're fired" and Marvel & DC Comics trademarking the word "Super Heroes". This shit needs to stop like yesterday.

RandV80 said:
Anyways, if we had sensible trademark and copyright laws how would the lawyers make any money? We need to keep these valiant souls busy and working hard!
If the trademark and copyright lawyers wanna make money, then they should be turning tricks like any honest, hard-working street-walker. Hell, they already got the art of fellatio down to a science.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
canadamus_prime said:
I would like to know who granted King a trademark on the word "Candy" and punch him.
Well, that's the problem with the bureaucratic system that exists in the trademark, patent, and copyright offices. They're some of the lowest funded offices within most governments and deal with heavier traffic than just about anything in either the public or private sector. To simply get these offices in the US alone would ensure pretty much no employment issues but would increase it's budget ten fold. And that's just staff payments which doesn't even include offices and other expenditures. To that end, these offices tend to simply look at it, see no technical issues with the application itself (the equivalent to red marks on an essay sort of thing) and approve it simply because they have no time to any real research in it. Because of this lack of time they simply rubber stamp it and let the lawyers fight it out.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
LordLundar said:
canadamus_prime said:
I would like to know who granted King a trademark on the word "Candy" and punch him.
Well, that's the problem with the bureaucratic system that exists in the trademark, patent, and copyright offices. They're some of the lowest funded offices within most governments and deal with heavier traffic than just about anything in either the public or private sector. To simply get these offices in the US alone would ensure pretty much no employment issues but would increase it's budget ten fold. And that's just staff payments which doesn't even include offices and other expenditures. To that end, these offices tend to simply look at it, see no technical issues with the application itself (the equivalent to red marks on an essay sort of thing) and approve it simply because they have no time to any real research in it. Because of this lack of time they simply rubber stamp it and let the lawyers fight it out.
Still to rubber stamp the trademark of a single commonly used word when the word isn't even the full title, the person must be pretty damn rushed or jaded to let that pass.