Jimquisition: Tomodachi Strife

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Tomodachi Strife

Nintendo has had to apologize for excluding gay people from Tomodachi Life. The exclusion was a shame, but that wasn't the bit that got me. We've got to stop with this attitude that inclusivity is some sort of Herculean effort, some bold statement. Other games have managed to do it without it being so - a company like Nintendo can.

Watch Video

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Let's see gays an accepted part of society, even in video games. I'm heterosexual, but I don't mind one bit if there were gay options in relationship games or any game. I'd play more lesbians if I could.

Big_Isaac

May 24, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the "We didn't intend any social commentary" bit of the apology directed at people saying Nintendo is homophobic?

Press: "Nintendo is against homosexuality!"
Nintendo: "We did not intend to say any such thing"

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
"Not entirely straight"? Huh, I always assumed the homoerotic stuff was 100% faked for humor. Considering I do the same thing all the time, I never considered Jim was actually anything but straight. [sub]Not that it really matters.[/sub]

The more you know, I suppose :p

More on topic: That game looks really horrifying. The big Mii heads rising out of the sea are going to give me nightmares.

Dec 14, 2009
Gah I wanna have sex with Jim's big sexy brain.

You gotta stop being so right all the time, I can only be so erect.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I always treat Nintendo as some sort of autistic kid, they know one thing, do it well and make a mess of anything else.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
So how long until someone throws up the whole 'danger of inclusion' argument like what happened with Mass Effect?

"If we allow the Gay Tomadachis, then we have to allow PEDOPHILE Tomadachis as well!" or what not?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Nintendo has always taken the path of least resistance, if it sees someone yelling about something, it will usually try and either avoid or tone down the issue, like the blood in mortal kombat thing, they heard people bitching about the violence, they censored it, then they got yelled at louder so they let all the blood back in mortal kombat 2. They are one of those companies you have to yell at to get them to do anything.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
They were trying to be neutral. The problem is there isn't really a neutral side in the matter of representation. In fact, so many people trying to be "neutral" is part of the problem. Discrimination isn't always blatant or cartoonishly evil like those idiots crying out "religious freedom!".

Also, as mentioned above, Nintendo tries to make people not get mad. Get mad at them and they'll get the message.

Big_Isaac

May 24, 2012
Just checked again and, yeah, unless I'm missing or misunderstanding something, this is how the whole thing went:

- Nintendo releases the game with the gay marriage thing
- The devs patch it away because it wasn't intentional
- The press starts going on about Nintendo being against homosexuality
- Nintendo responds, saying "this isn't what we were trying to say. We were just fixing a glitch"

Basically, the fault lies with whoever moron thought that patching gay relationship out of the game was necessary

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:
This is not true and we both know it. All those endless nights in the lab should have taught you otherwise. The upper-limits of your erectile density are incalculable.

And arousing.

NightsOwl

May 12, 2014
So, pretty much what this is saying is that Gay relationships should be in any game with relationships by default now?

I agree. And I feel it should be the standard by now too. Even if I'm not gay myself or even if I am, I might get a bit of enjoyment seeing the main character of a game swing both ways. Really, it only helps make everyone happy, unless they're homophobic, which at that point, they can go shove it.

Inclusion of every party cannot hurt if it's a party that does no harm.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Part of the reason Tomodachi Life didn't intend have gay marriage in the first place was because Japan doesn't accept it as a whole, thank you Gaijin Goomba for pointing that out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50f8mLfTzwQ

Also, as an extra piece to point out, The Sims 4 is actually given an AO (Adult Only) rating in Russia because of the fact that it includes gay marriage:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/russia-gives-the-sims-4-an-adults-only-rating.365855/

I'd say that when it comes to content like this, people have become more intolerant rather than actually being tolerant about stuff like this.

You pointed out about how there's an issue in a state in the US about turning away customers due to the owner having a religuous belief against homosexuality. Well, that's their own fucking right. Owners should have the right to turn away whoever the hell they want. It may not cause their business to do well, but that's the point. America is supposed to be a place where people can say, do, or believe whatever they want and not get attacked for it. We can't force people to believe something because we disagree with them, all we can do is not support the company or the person. The minute we start telling people how their supposed to think, we become no better than Germany and the Nazis in WW2.

EDIT: The original reason gay marriage was patched was because it was part of a game breaking bug.

Dec 14, 2009
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
This is not true and we both know it. All those endless nights in the lab should have taught you otherwise. The upper-limits of your erectile density are incalculable.

And arousing.
The world isn't ready for this information, we can't just start throwing my penis about all willy nilly, but if you insist...

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I have to wonder if the sales would increase by any significant amount by adding more options for relationships? I understand that is not the point this video is trying to make, but the game concept sounds rather boring to me.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well at least now we know those sex related jokes weren't entirely fake, thank God for Jim! Oh yes and these ties are looking more and more arous-... attractive as the weeks go by.

And I think I agree, might have to watch over it again to get some vital points and think them over.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Big_Isaac said:
Just checked again and, yeah, unless I'm missing or misunderstanding something, this is how the whole thing went:

- Nintendo releases the game with the gay marriage thing
- The devs patch it away because it wasn't intentional
- The press starts going on about Nintendo being against homosexuality
- Nintendo responds, saying "this isn't what we were trying to say. We were just fixing a glitch"

Basically, the fault lies with whoever moron thought that patching gay relationship out of the game was necessary
The gay relationships weren't the issue they were patching out, it was one effect of a game-breaking bug that also prevented you from saving your game, among other things.
I agree they should have allowed gay relationships after patching out the bug and their entire handling of the fallout was dismal, but they didn't strictly speaking "patch gay relationships out of the game".