Jimquisition: Too Cool To Be Cool

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Too Cool To Be Cool

What does Duke Nukem and Sonic The Hedgehog have in common? Let Jim Sterling, a literal graduate of the School of Cool (it does exist), explain.

Watch Video

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
Totally agree, we need a life in the shitter sonic.
Can somebody explain whats with the black lines on the background?

emusega

Jan 17, 2011
Alright you've got a point. Not bad this episode.
I think it's a little sad that you need to point out that your persona is meant in an ironic way. Not because you want to, but because people wouldn't get it.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
"Badical" needs to be a real word. Also, I do agree. I remember hearing one quote: "Cool has a shelf life, and if that's all your character has, so do they." Loved the knock at the people who take this a little too seriously. It's kinda sad that some people probably needed it pointed out...

Not much else to say. Keep doing what you're doing.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I thought the section where he analysed Sonic was by far the most interesting part of the show.

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
What I basicly got from this is - Sarcasm is the best tool to introduce characters and keep them fresh when used in moderation. And I agree!
But 8 minutes of saying it and never expanding on it was a waste...

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
I cant think of an icon i might have who would not like to have his knob sucked by 2 schoolgirls

joeman098

Jun 18, 2007
at first when i started watching these I was all like
Whos this fat guy Whats with the background why is he rambling

now im all like
LOL jim LOL even started reading or well noticing his stuff on destructoid and the review of the new PS3 firmware was great keep it coming jim

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 26, 2020
Country
🇬🇧
Great, these episodes just get better and better, I agree that Sonic is seriously annoying how he tries to be cool all the time. Keep 'em coming Jim!

motyr

May 24, 2010
i think this series is leaps and bounds beyond what it was in the first few weeks.

I more-or-less agree with Jim, however, irrelevant 90s sonic in the 2010s? That's way too meta for Sonic's core demorgraphic.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Whiile i could agree on the Sonic point, i don't really see Duke as Jim describes him. I mean, ever since Duke Nukem franchise started it was a very obvious satire and DN3D probably was the pinncale of it. It was absurd, over the top, it was the bad-assery on the level of action movies featuring the 'manly-man' like Stallone or Van Damme creations.

Sure, you might say, times moved forward and the perception surely has changed, but a quick look at recent action flicks says "Hell no!". We still get the same type of movies in cinemas, the same type of ubermench that gets the chick, blows stuff up and saves the world, and that's why Duke fits in it. I don't see seriousness in the franchise at all, and satire does not need a giant, flashing clue in terms "OH LOOK IM FAILING TO BE FUNNY" to be satire.

Ishiro32

Mar 28, 2011
Not bad... Not good... Avarage, which means. You make progress, keep up.

BTW i never saw Duke as serious character. Come on "I've got balls of steel" couldn't be taken seriously.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
People take Duke Nukem seriously? God, I hope not o_O

Maybe in they idolize him in an ironic sense, but I can't see people actually thinking he's the ideal man. I've always thought it was an exaggeration for lame laughs, kind of like Chuck Norris, where the joke consists in how straight faced it is and how far people take if. I really hope I'm not wrong about that...

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
I can see where you are coming from when it comes to Sonic The Hedgehog, but a little less so with Duke. The guy's been gone for 15 years, and showing he hasn't changed a bit I think is a gold star, because the games themselves were supposed to be relatively light-hearted and not meant to be taken seriously. It's videogame high camp, not some serious story about some misogynist prick. Sonic on the other hand has been like watching your home town slowly get blown apart, one shitty game at a time, and him seen in a self-deprecating fashion is like watching someone clumsily apologize for all of the chaos upto this point.

All things considered, I am starting to warm up to your show, personal highlight was on "Weird is Not Enough," though some of your other episodes were very grating by comparison. Grating as they are, it is a different kind of opinion to be heard and glad to see you're trying your best to defend it.

CINN4M0N

Jan 31, 2010
I disagree, Jim, I think you're missing the point of Duke.

His jokes are supposed to be shit, but he's still not supposed to be called out for it or portrayed as unfunny or less cool because of it. He's meant to still be idolised in his world, which makes the joke funny for us outsiders looking in. We don't idolise Duke, we laugh at him and the morons in his universe for still idolising him, and get to feel kinda badass that that's our character.

We go into the game already knowing that he's a total doofus. If the game took the time to tell us this, it would lose some of its impact. We just accept the world as silly and fun, and love it for that.

Also, just because Sam Stone was made out clearly to be an idiot, doesn't mean Duke has to be. I'm all for games varying from one another, otherwise they bleed into a one flavour formula that never does anything different.

In an age where "realism" is becoming more and more predominant, some games just need to get more and more outrageous to be pure fun. I don't play games to see my character do something I can do in real life, I wanna see him curbstomp,punch through heads, and have a three-way with a school twins.

And I've never played Devil May Cry, but it seems like a whole nother kettle of fish. Sounds like a serious drama, where Duke is a light-hearted comedy. You're not supposed to read into anything too much.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I agree with your Sonic analisis, Everything else tough, is just wasting time.

Jun 5, 2010
Mr. Omega said:
"Badical" needs to be a real word. Also, I do agree. I remember hearing one quote: "Cool has a shelf life, and if that's all your character has, so do they." Loved the knock at the people who take this a little too seriously. It's kinda sad that some people probably needed it pointed out...

Not much else to say. Keep doing what you're doing.
i think thats an overthinker quote

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
The thing about Sonic was surprisingly good, because it's true. I didn't really understand anything else that you were getting at though.

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
Did you play Bulletstorm? It was almost anticipating the return of Duke and parodied the fuck out of the "too cool to be cool" character. Many dismiss Greyson as simply a "generic bad-ass space marine" but frankly in the games he's the only person who thinks he is cool. Everyone else thinks he's the dick he definitely is, and rather than being the god of his world he often causes catastrophic fuck ups based on his rash and indefensible behaviour. Bulletstorm, despite being a comedy at heart, is also quite a strong piece of character satire.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Glad to see the series has started to return to what it was before on Destructoid, and people are starting to catch on that Jim has a lot of good points to make, whatever his presentation may be. I like the irony jokes of this one. I missed the disgusted cursing at gaming fools, and I miss throwing the microphone at the end.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Littaly said:

Maybe in they idolize him in an ironic sense, but I can't see people actually thinking he's the ideal man. I've always thought it was an exaggeration for lame laughs, kind of like Chuck Norris, where the joke consists in how straight faced it is and how far people take if. I really hope I'm not wrong about that...
Beautifully said. I don't need a self-conscious duke who's aware of his 'faults' according to some feminazi in an alternate dimension. Duke is over the top ... to the extreme. And there are almost no character like him in video games (Think, Gordon Freeman, and the rest who all happen to have had some form of military training, and roots in cliche (-cough- "Hello, My name is Inigo Montaya, and you killed my father's sheep. I am here to get the sheep skin. Prepare to ... barf!"). Almost all of the rest, are down to earth with a little extra that set them apart from the rest of the inhabitants of their world. Like regenerative health.

Sonic, why do they even bother with him? Let him die, create a new character, a new game.

brick

Apr 14, 2009
Think Jim has missed the point of the DUKE here a bit, I think it's not meant to be indicated as a joke at all, but how serious and OTT it is is infact what makes it so hilarious? The serious sam guy was indicated to be stupid, therefore taking some of the humour away? Kinda agree about Sonic, maybe just leave him as a mute character that is just there for some old school speed platforming. IMO anyone that thinks DUKE is a serious protagonist is looking at it too seriously and needs to have another go at the game with a DUKE mentality.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
Pretty true with Sonic there, but the recent games seem to be so bad, that the lame state of the character isn't noticed that much.

Venereus

May 9, 2010
PoweD said:
Totally agree, we need a life in the shitter sonic.
Can somebody explain whats with the black lines on the background?
He just explained it! It's from V for Vendetta:

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
cainx10a said:
Littaly said:

Beautifully said. I don't need a self-conscious duke who's aware of his 'faults' according to some feminazi in a alternate dimension. Duke is over the top ... to the extreme. And there are almost no character like him in video game. Almost all of the rest, are down to earth with a little extra that set them apart from the rest of the inhabitants of their world. Like regenerative health.

Sonic, why do they even bother with him? Let him die, create a new character, a new game.
CINN4M0N said:

His jokes are supposed to be shit, but he's still not supposed to be called out for it or portrayed as unfunny or less cool because of it. He's meant to still be idolised in his world, which makes the joke funny for us outsiders looking in. We don't idolise Duke, we laugh at him and the morons in his universe for still idolising him, and get to feel kinda badass that that's our character.

We go into the game already knowing that he's a total doofus. If the game took the time to tell us this, it would lose some of its impact. We just accept the world as silly and fun, and love it for that.

Also, just because Sam Stone was made out clearly to be an idiot, doesn't mean Duke has to be. I'm all for games varying from one another, otherwise they bleed into a one flavour formula that never does anything different.

In an age where "realism" is becoming more and more predominant, some games just need to get more and more outrageous to be pure fun. I don't play games to see my character do something I can do in real life, I wanna see him curbstomp,punch through heads, and have a three-way with a school twins.

And I've never played Devil May Cry, but it seems like a whole nother kettle of fish. Sounds like a serious drama, where Duke is a light-hearted comedy. You're not supposed to read into anything too much.
Basically what they said, Duke is supposed to be idolized within his own world, which to US is funny. That and Duke is essentially a parody of just about every Macho man persona depicted in TV and movies.

yellowhead

Nov 18, 2009
I'm trying to give this series a chance, but Jim has completely missed the point of Duke Nukem.

Duke has NEVER been a serious character. He's a B-Movie star. A steriotype of 80/90s action movies like Arnie, Stallone etc. but pushed to the nth degree. It's all tongue in cheek and at no point are we supposed to take it seriously. We're supposed to enjoy the ride.

Also, i half agree about the Sonic argument. Sonic DOES cool stuff and he does awesome and stylish moves. The problem is when he opens his mouth. That's why i love Super Sonic because he hardly talks in that form and does awesome stuff.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Am I alone here? I never felt Duke was intended to be taken seriously, but more of a tribute to/parody of 80s action heroes. It's not that he should be idolised or considered "cool" in any way, but simply be thoroughly entertaining with his completely over-the-top badassery. It's the same kind of appeal as making a villain a playable character - you get to have fun blowing crap up without any sense of duty.

I agree that Sonic is put out there as a "cool" character, but I always felt Duke was so ridiculous it wouldn't need to be spelled out with dopey jokes in order for the audience to get it. I think playing it straight edge works in Duke's favour, rather than against it.

EDIT: Seems I'm not alone. A lot can happen while you're writing a response :p

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Jim sure likes to call out his nay-sayers.

As to the actual subject matter, it's nice to see what people view as "cool", and how it changes as time goes on.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
No one takes Duke seriously, I think it's you and maybe a few other idiots, but that being said you do have a good point with Sonic and Dante was a prime example of how to explain yourself. Also this was a generally funny episode.

Zabriskie Point

Nov 22, 2010
I don't think I've met a single person who actually takes Duke seriously. Gearbox definitely doesn't. I mean, come on, you can throw literal shit in the game. You can pick up turds and throw them. That may be the least serious game mechanic I've ever seen.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I liked the episode, but I can't help but disagree.
In my opinion, Duke isn't taken seriously.

He's so over the top macho that he IS a parody.

But that is just my opinion.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Throughout the whole first half I was constantly muttering "DanteDanteDanteDanteDanteDante". Almost cheered when he put the spotlight on the right character. But I would disagree that Duke is being played straight. The game being all about "his world" was misinterpreted here I feel. It's all about his ego, he plays everything straight because he honestly thinks he's that awesome, which makes him ironic because we know how dated he is.

StrangerQ

Oct 14, 2009
I found episode amusing and seeing show getting better and better every week.
I loved the ending :p

On more serious things.
Sonic analysing and dante as example on parody coolness were great.
I was not able to phrase anything special about DN stuff since i find both agreeing and disagreeing sides right but i find nothing to complaing when
people do shows about own opinion on subject whether fact is truth or not.

beniki

May 28, 2009
I kind of thought that the muscle head, over the top, all singing, all dancing, all fucking, egomaniac being played straight WAS the joke...

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
While I do agree with Sonic (I haven't really touched any late Sonic-games though), you completely missed the point of Duke. Nonetheless, good episode. The series is getting better.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
In all honesty, Duke Nukem Forever still portrays Duke far too over the top for him to be anything but a straight-out satire. And that's what makes the character cool. I mean, how seriously can you take a character who instead of a rechargable shield/health bar has an ego so strong that it protects him from damage and needs to be recharged from time to time? He's intended as a joke, and even if he wasn't, he'd still be funny because he's so ridiculous.

Also, Jim, I'm going to out-hipster you and say that your attempts on douchebaggery are far from subtle enough to actually be funny. It's like, so mainstream. Work on them, as they are now they just make me facepalm.

May 17, 2010
I always thought some of the best parody was when you are completely sure if the creators were actually being serious.

That said I quite like this video, one of the best of the series so far, IMHO.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Sonic's "attitude" was cool when it consisted of him getting bored if you were just standing still for too long and he started looking at the screen while tapping his foot impatiently. Once he got voice acting, it did get embarrassing. Need I say more? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0tuHtLFeDE&t=52s]
(Jim's right, BTW. It's funnier if other characters point out how stupid that is instead of taking it seriously. [http://www.themysticalforestzone.com/insonicnia/?id=190])

The difference between Duke and Sonic though is that at least Duke Nukem Forever has a chance to be good and make the Duke franchise one worth continuing after so long.

emusega said:
I think it's a little sad that you need to point out that your persona is meant in an ironic way. Not because you want to, but because people wouldn't get it.
Indeed. That zing right in the middle towards all those people who take the video persona to seriously was great.

CINN4M0N said:
If what you say is true, it's everyone else who is missing the point of Duke. Pretty much all of his fanbase does take him seriously and act like he's a great character. People parrot off "I've got balls of steel." and "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta gum." like they're scripture or something. People do treat Duke as an idol, so if you're sure that they aren't supposed to, then nearly everyone is missing the point.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Espsychologist said:
Jim fails at funny again.
I agree whole heartedly. I believe there was even a poll that asked the escapist if they wanted to keep this feature, and the highest vote was "NO".

And here we are, so poll = petition, and no one takes internet petitions seriously.

Dice Warwick

Nov 29, 2010
don't agree, Duke is already a parity on himself, It's just that in his world he is a hero, so he is taken very seriously. If he was self deprecating, it would take away from what people love about that character. Duke is not an idiot, but he a shovanistic jackass who save the world, so everyone just roles with what he dose.

BTW the game has yet to come out, so we don't exactly know where the comedy will go.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
A man who likes to get sucked off by 2 school girls? If we're talking legal here, then he isn't an Icon... he's a legend!

Besides, I think (as some above have pointed out) you're missing the point. It's not just the Duke who's a (supposed) parody, but the entire world of Duke Nukem. Everyone in the game follows duke like he's some sort of messiah, yet we as the observers see them worshipping a Macho moron. Compare to all those other games were you play as some sort of unstoppable badass who saves the world or kills enemies in legendary numbers, but at no point do you get recognition for it (Gears of War, Call of Duty [any "realistic" war game really] generic shooter A and generic shooter B). In Dukes world, the complete opposite happened and everyone reveres him as a living Deity. It's part of the parody.

The bad jokes are just an old aesthetic they carry over... in a sense it's almost parodying itself by doing so.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I don't mind Jim. I agree frequently, and disagree with him in reasonable ways the rest of the time. And I would agree with his idea about coolness...but seriously, you think that Duke Nukem is played straight? No, not a chance. The point was brought up about Pitchford saying that Duke was supposed to be taken seriously, but I believe I remember that statement, and that was not what Pitchford was saying. He was saying that the game you are playing is basically from the perspective of a loudmouthed, arrogant, testosterone overdosed, arrogant meathead, so naturally, that's how you, the player sees him. Your looking at the world through this egomaniacs eyes. But the player sees the satire...well, maybe Jim doesn't. And you know that's fine, I'm sure there's an interpretation I believe of something that is downright stupid, I won't fault Jim for missing one example of the obvious. But I do have to point out that what Jim is saying is hurt by the absence of irony and self-mocking is positively dripping irony and self-mocking out of every pore.

Of course, if Duke were being played straight, it would be a pretty terrible game, ill give you that.

::Edit:: it just occurred to me...Jim doesn't see the satire behind a person acting like an arrogant idiot in self-parody? The irony of that is almost enough to make me think that this entire episode is just an excersize in meta-humor. Maybe he does see the irony in Duke Nukem, and this is all just a clever joke.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I respect the show is getting better. Hell even this ep is not bad. I pretty much disagree with it, but doesnt make it bad.

I think what you have to consider about Duke is the epoch from which it came from. Back then it was social commentary. There was a distinct thread of emasculation and Duke to some degree stood to remind people of what masculine traits were. It did so by over exaggerating it, because part of the problem was that men had became too diminished as it was and far too long had been ignored.. Its sort of what culminated at the end of the 1990s with the film Fight Club, which was the testament of railing against emasculation.

This is a big reason why Duke nowadays seems so comical. Hell even in the 90s his over the top antics were in fact comical, but in this day and age there is no possibility it will play off to the same type of response. This is because society in the decade since the last installment has vastly changed. Specifically we are in a society that both accepts and applauds emasculation. Every day we come a step closer to the point when men and women are (at least mentally, though some guys are trying real hard to look like flat chested women for some reason) indistinguishable. In a society that cheers faux enlightenment and blind acceptance, Duke seems little more than an unevolved knuckle dragging troglodyte relic of a bygone age. Its a shame that people dont realize the point of Duke was to try to steer masculinity back onto the proper course and avoid exactly what society has since become.

Either that or we can stop trying to apply relevance and symbolism to video games, and take Duke for what he was always supposed to be... a caricature, and remember, ITS JUST A GAME!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
I agree whole heartedly. I believe there was even a poll that asked the escapist if they wanted to keep this feature, and the highest vote was "NO".

And here we are, so poll = petition, and no one takes internet petitions seriously.
Because a poll that not all viewers of the show will see and be able to vote in should be taken seriously, amirite? For example, I don't think I saw that poll. Where is it? I'd love to vote for keeping the show, because I've been enjoying it.

If you want it to go away, stop watching. Shows go away when they don't get enough views (I still miss you ENN [yes I know about Checkpoint already, no need for 50 people to quote this and link me kthx]), not when people who don't like it come together and complain. Watching it week after week to keep whining in the comments about how much you hate it is only helping keeping it alive because you're giving it more views.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Ya know, I think this is the point where I actually like his videos. Sure, they're somewhat trollish, and his attitude gets in the way, but it's a valid point to be made. And hell, whether you agree with it or not, at least it's something we don't hear most people talking about.

The 4th episode is where I didn't want to crush my skull in at the videos, because it started becoming more of a different view on lesser talked topics, rather than the same thing being ranted upon by everyone. You can't deny that at least the topics are new and interesting.

And as gamers, especially in the fight we're in now, sometimes having different perspectives like this give us an arguing point. Or at least someone to quote as different than us, because not all games are mindless kiddies killer simulators that will cause us to be rapists because we all think exactly the same

Jan 27, 2011
Wait, we're supposed to take Duke seriously? Huh?

Why would anyone take him seriously? I mean...your argument makes perfect sense, but I never took him seriously to begin with.

And I don't know about Sonic being more "lame" in Colors. I prefer the term "real". As in he's not a flawless superhero, he's the ADD ridden child-like totally-not-serious hero that we knew he always was. And that still makes him one of my favorite characters.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
I feel as if his episodes are getting better.
His topics are more relevant and he actually has something to say unlike his first couple of episodes.

Gentleman_Reptile

Jan 25, 2010
Fucks sake....you know Jim I might actually listen to what you say when you stop referencing yourself in every episode.

It's not funny, your not being self aware or clever, your just wasting your breath.

The subject matter and your opinions on them are not my biggest problem with your show. It's the fact that you are just completely fucking unfunny.

It's too painful to watch, this is the last time I am ever clicking the play button for a Jimquisition.

Valthek

Aug 25, 2008
Compared to the other episodes, I liked this one far better. The obvious undertone of self-parody worked perfectly and I couldn't help but snicker at some of the comments.
Jim's... eh... unique style works really well here, underlining the (occasionally valid) points he makes.

If this series continues in the way that it's going, it'll end up being good. (I sense a hyperbole or possibly a bell curve here)

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
yesjam said:
i think this series is leaps and bounds beyond what it was in the first few weeks.

I more-or-less agree with Jim, however, irrelevant 90s sonic in the 2010s? That's way too meta for Sonic's core demorgraphic.
this is still the first few weeks.

I don't see how duke nukem is played straight, the game isn't saying we should admire him, it's saying the whole world is stupid for following such a man. I honestly don't think duke is played straight, but whatever. I still don't think duke is a character that anyone would actively look up to.

As for sonic- what do you people expect? they're trying to reach the 8 year old market.

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
I agree, the forced coolness is getting old in this day and age. I loled at the self-targeted irony. And the calmer mood of the episode seems much more fitting to the series than the previous ranting.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
I played Duke on N64 when I was just a kid, the world that duke lives in is ridiculous the whole thing seems pretty tongue-in-cheek to me. Duke's goal of 3d was to save babes, not the world just the good looking women.

I see the point Jim is making, that Duke while being this over the top character is taken seriously in his own world. but from the outside Duke's world looks just as ridiculous as it really is.

I agree with Sonic though, it's why the Ninja Turtles hasn't aged well since the 80's or 90's. but I've considered sonic dead since the 90's anyway.

Gentleman_Reptile

Jan 25, 2010
viranimus said:
I respect the show is getting better. Hell even this ep is not bad. I pretty much disagree with it, but doesnt make it bad.

I think what you have to consider about Duke is the epoch from which it came from. Back then it was social commentary. There was a distinct thread of emasculation and Duke to some degree stood to remind people of what masculine traits were. It did so by over exaggerating it, because part of the problem was that men had became too diminished as it was and far too long had been ignored.. Its sort of what culminated at the end of the 1990s with the film Fight Club, which was the testament of railing against emasculation.

This is a big reason why Duke nowadays seems so comical. Hell even in the 90s his over the top antics were in fact comical, but in this day and age there is no possibility it will play off to the same type of response. This is because society in the decade since the last installment has vastly changed. Specifically we are in a society that both accepts and applauds emasculation. Every day we come a step closer to the point when men and women are (at least mentally, though some guys are trying real hard to look like flat chested women for some reason) indistinguishable. In a society that cheers faux enlightenment and blind acceptance, Duke seems little more than an unevolved knuckle dragging troglodyte relic of a bygone age. Its a shame that people dont realize the point of Duke was to try to steer masculinity back onto the proper course and avoid exactly what society has since become.

Either that or we can stop trying to apply relevance and symbolism to video games, and take Duke for what he was always supposed to be... a caricature, and remember, ITS JUST A GAME!
Why do you not have your own show? That was so well worded and intelligent that you make Jim look even shitter by comparison.

Yeah I'm not his biggest fan. He annoys the hell out of me.

9Darksoul6

Jul 12, 2010
So the costume, the sunglasses, the background and all that... it's not your ego after all, it's a joke.
Let me tell you something: you're not funny, at all - to a point which people get confused about whether or not you're actually trying to be funny (you must get really frustrated for having a total lack of sense of humor, which is by the way the main problem of this specific video; you wouldn't call your audience "fucking idiots" otherwise) - being a joke makes even it worse.

Also: 'being ironic about being ironic' can easily be interpreted as being 'ironic about being ironic about being ironic'; I know speaking like that makes you a happy man, but maybe you should consider adding a fourth layer of irony; that way maybe you won't even know if you mean something or the exact opposite...
...or maybe both - right? that would make perfect sense; like saying "I'm the perfect life form".

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
And here I thought we were passed getting outraged by Duke Nukem till the game at least came out. Whine Whine, he's such a jerk, I don't like him, he isn't ironic enough, whine whine. If you take Duke seriously, you are mentally deficient. I have never seen or played a Duke Nukem game (and I've been playing them since the first ones came out) where I thought he was so bad ass. I mean, in the first games, he didn't even have a character really. By 3D he did, but at no point did anyone actually think he was cool. The character of Duke enhanced the gameplay experience, but it wasn't the end all be all of the game. I would imagine this is gonna be the same with DNF. Sonic Colours did well, not because Sonic all of the suddenly was less serious or idiotic, but because it's the first game in a while that didn't do 3D. It was a 3D world, but Sonic moved on a 2D plain. You should pick up a review because they all mentioned how great Sonic is on a 2D plain and that is why the game is fun.

I think you missed the point completely, games aren't movies or novels or any other medium where character is the primary focus. In games, the characters always hold second fiddle to the actual game play mechanics. Sonic failed for years because it didn't translate to 3D well at all. Duke is a character that will gladly punch the aliens in the balls to get a job done, but it's all about getting the job done and how fun it is to get it done. I remember the good old days when the only characterization was what you read about them in the game manual. That is not to say that better characterization hasn't enhanced games, but it's still not the primary focus.

Once again, if you take Duke seriously, you're a complete dumbass. Because, at no point was Duke ever actually cool. He did cool things and was mostly lucky not to get killed in the end.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
I agree with your point, but not the example. Duke Nukem works because they play it straight. He becomes ironic because he acts like a total douche, and no one calls him out on it. He is the main character in his world and the fact that he is aloud to be that without "reality" calling him out on his ridiculousness is what makes him funny.
Otherwise, great episode.

OblivionSoul

Oct 19, 2009
I agree with a bunch of his points here, but as a couple other people here have also said, I do not agree with his vision of Duke Nukem. I think by supposedly playing the character straight, they make a great satire of the genre he mocks.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
I liked it.
I certainly find Jimquisition MUCH easier to stomach than a lot of the stuff on this site. (Not ZP, Movie Bob or Extra Credits though)

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
This is pretty much what I've been thinking for a while now. I really don't like Duke Nukem as a character, and it's not just because he's a misogynistic douchebag, but because he's a misogynistic douchebag who never receives and karmic backlash for being a misogynistic douchebag. If bad things were to happen to him for his bad behavior, a bit like a video game equivalent of Johnny Bravo, then I'd be fine with the idea of him being some sort of parody. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen, so all we're left with is an asshole who we're apparently supposed to admire for all the things that make him so horrible and it just doesn't work.

Slash47

May 10, 2010
Leveling... Tbh I don't think Duke Nukem should be 'explained' and I don't think you should point out you're not 100% serious. I do agree that Dante in Devil May Cry 3 was spot on in this regard, although I somewhat doubt it was on purpose.

Skyy High

Dec 6, 2009
I honestly can't decide if this video was serious, in which case it hilariously missed the point of Duke Nukem, or if it's supposed to be so awfully wrong that it's obviously not supposed to be taken seriously.
If the former: hell no, we don't need hipster "irony" seeping into anything else. It should be possible to know to not take something seriously without the creators winking at you the entire time. I don't know if it's just people trying to be PC, or the saturation of our culture with terrible attempts at being "ironic" that subtlety is completely alien to most people, but seriously, just because Duke isn't self-deprecating doesn't mean he's supposed to be an "idol".
If the latter: well played. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt and going with the latter interpretation, because a) it's funnier, b) I like the Escapist and I don't think they'd give airtime to someone who seriously wants to "cheese up" Duke, c) it fits with the rest of the video, and d) it'd be some of the goddamn best trolling I've ever seen.

daftnoize

Aug 23, 2010
JoJoDeathunter said:
Great, these episodes just get better and better, I agree that Sonic is seriously annoying how he tries to be cool all the time. Keep 'em coming Jim!
I completely agree. I'm so glad that Jim has blatantly stated that he is portraying an uber arrogant image. As for duke nukem, i'm still really ashamed by it. I think that its ultimate lack of irony (which "gamers" will try and defend until the sun explodes)and its willfully stupid nature is appalling. I don't want to play that game its designed for an immature mind and if you try and defend it as satire then you fully deserve the title pretentious.

I feel really strongly about this and am not simply trying to flame. We need less of duke nukem figures in gaming.

Iff it were blatantly ironic then maybe i'd have time for the game.

Well done on the episode Jim you've earned a loyal follower.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Gotta say, you've really gotten better with these videos lately, Jim. While I do agree with you on the Sonic thing, I'm sort of uncertain regarding the Duke. Because while being openly sarcastic would work great for Sonic, Duke isn't really about that. The absurdity of everything, Duke's jokes, and twin-girl blowjob, is played straight, but only from Duke's perspective. Everything that happens in Duke's world happens because it makes sense in there. It's when we apply our filter of reality to whatever the fuck is going on in the game does it become amusing, humorous, and sarcastic.

Randy Pitchford doesn't really expect us to idolize Duke Nukem, but more to play along with the Duke, humoring his corny one-liners and extreme alien prejudice. I know this doesn't make alot of sense, but open sarcasm and self-deprecation may not turn out too well for Duke. At most you might have the EDF troops that accompany Duke going "Eh, that's a little weak" to one of Duke's lines or something without it getting too bad. It's sort of like how Metalocalypse can be seen as a show that openly mocks and attacks celebrity worship and the trouble it brings.

Overall, good episode, but I don't really agree with you in regards to Duke Nukem.

alexbaxthedarkside

May 21, 2009
Nice Episode Jim, i admire your guts in pointing this out. Calling out the haters that they are reading to much into it is great :D

Myabe more winkin at camera would be nice from Duke, we shall see.

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
The point Jim is trying to raise (which I think he could have done better by the way, not a nay sayer, just saying the video could have expanded better in this area) is that although Duke is the King of his world, no one questions him, not a single person, not even the enemies.

Before I go one, I would say the humor is better as of now, I liked it MUCH better.

Take for example Malcom in the Middle, that show is the perfect example of what I mean, craziness usually called out by something more realistic or crazier to the crazy before hands, and Duke doesn't have this, they go for the middle ground formula without an aid to help the humor, which is very dangerous as it can stale pretty fast, and Borderlands is the proof for this, save for the fact that the player doesn't have a persona, so that enables personal proxy to the game.

Another example: having a Chief Commander say how impressive Duke's strategy is when he drew a dingle berry on the white-board, only then to have the player hear by proxy that soldiers are dieing and Commander still insisting they use Duke's phallus as their holy guide, or a soldier, rookie, questions Duke's strategy only to have the Commander smack talk him, are other examples of how Duke's humor can be aided in being funnier and by proxy, being something the player can relate to in someway to our world. Hell, if a boss which can speak asks Duke on why he does what he does, and shakes it's head in dismay, or tries to out-rude Duke only to have Duke mock himself and the enemy in turn, that's another way to get to it, and work wonders.

It's funny how people thought this was the best episode so far from Jim, when for me, while he had a good points, didn't expand to much. Not blowing my own horn here, but honestly, between the Facebook comments and the one in this thread about the points he made, are people misunderstanding Jim, or has my brain grown so much overnight that I'm living in the world of Idiocracy and I'm the last hope to sire a capable offspring?

NOTE: If you're going to quote me for the last paragraph of my post to have a battle-royale, I suggest you save your clicks for something else.

Dec 27, 2010
I dont think people understand what he's saying about DN, its not that he's a serious character, it's that in the game world he's taking to seriously, as in nobody in the world looks down at him. Anyway, I'm not saying to agree with him, I'm saying to discuss what he meant, not what you misunderstood.

mronoc

Nov 12, 2008
If irony is too obvious, why bother? Irony is only funny if it has it's brief moments where it fools you into thinking it's being completely serious. Duke Nukem's irony spreads beyond the character and into the entire universe. Duke Nukem is like Captain Hindsight from the Coon and Friends trilogy in South Park. We all realize that his powers are completely useless, but no one in the show ever acknowledges that fact. Seriously, does Jim really need other characters to tell him how he's supposed to feel about Duke Nukem?

dontlooknow

Mar 6, 2008
As Jim Stirling stumbles blindly towards his conclusion, I can?t help thinking about the biggest problem I had with the Jimquisition in pervious episodes, and this one in particular ? the complete lack of evidenced irony. Stirling is not a man we?re meant to pity or laugh at or be discussed with in anyway; he makes awful jokes and he?s a podgy fool with no sense of taste. But rather than make that a point of comedy with the character, we?re supposed to actively think he?s a brilliant and wonderful guy. To me this is the fundamental difference between Stirling and Yahtzee. One is played straight, the other not so much; Yahtzee actually is an arrogant dick and we?re not supposed to think otherwise, when Stirling makes a terrible joke, he?s never called out on it, the joke is played straight and we?re meant to laugh. I think it?s embarrassing to see a character with such forced arrogance that we?re supposed to think is cool.

Indeed Mr Stirling, I must be a fucking idiot.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
I find this hard to take seriously.
Duke is the ludicrous fantasy of macho man-ism. The absolutely right way.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
mjc0961 said:
CINN4M0N said:
If what you say is true, it's everyone else who is missing the point of Duke. Pretty much all of his fanbase does take him seriously and act like he's a great character. People parrot off "I've got balls of steel." and "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta gum." like they're scripture or something. People do treat Duke as an idol, so if you're sure that they aren't supposed to, then nearly everyone is missing the point.
You honestly take Duke seriously? The things Duke say are things that get repeated around friends when no one is being serious. That should give you some kind of clue that it's not meant to be taken seriously. No one idolizes Duke, it's a strange concept all together.

Also, he parroted that line from an action movie starring Rowdy Roddy Piper. I mean, if you just watch the movie They Live, it's pretty much Duke on film. Big muscular guy, rough around the edges, doesn't give a damn what anyone thinks. His character was created after the 80's action movie started losing popularity. He isn't trying to keep it alive, he is a parody of it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Zabriskie Point said:
I don't think I've met a single person who actually takes Duke seriously. Gearbox definitely doesn't. I mean, come on, you can throw literal shit in the game. You can pick up turds and throw them. That may be the least serious game mechanic I've ever seen.
That's more game mechanics though, not the character himself. The character himself takes himself seriously and is viewed in a positive light seriously in the game.

OT: I kind of agree. I think people do view him as a cool character - a fucking stupid one too, but nevertheless cool. He could definitely do with the whole self-parody thing now though, given how irrelevant what he's already parodying now is.

This segment has grown on me considerably by the way - several laughs along the way in this video.

jhlip

Feb 17, 2011
emusega said:
Alright you've got a point. Not bad this episode.
I fully agree with this statement.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
The first episodes were dreadful to me, but I'm appreciating them now, keep at it!

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
bibblles said:
Espsychologist said:
Exactly.

Jim, I hope you read this you pretentious fuck. You are not funny, you are not entertaining, you are a bigger hippie than MovieBob, and because of your pretentious-ness you have failed to be even bearable to watch yet again.
Then dont watch and go away...Or would that be too simple?

messy

Dec 3, 2008
OK the Rosa Parks line made me laugh. I do think your getting better but the over the top arrogance etc. I think is going to be a bit old. Since the start of each episode, for me, is just waiting for arrogance to end so the show can properly start.

Also pretending to be a character who is self-indulged is even going to be taken the wrong way by some people. Especially if this is the first time they have seen you, and I really don't think you should refer to them as "fucking morons." Even if this is meant to be "in character" it doesn't really come of as that because your "character" won't care what viewers think only the "real" Jim who has crafted such a character.

FelixG said:
bibblles said:
Espsychologist said:
Exactly.

Jim, I hope you read this you pretentious fuck. You are not funny, you are not entertaining, you are a bigger hippie than MovieBob, and because of your pretentious-ness you have failed to be even bearable to watch yet again.
The Escapist makes money via the publishers club and adverts. The level of publisher club members and adverts is directly linked to the number of people who view the site. If there's a video not "pulling its weight" then its in the Escapist best interests to be told of this. Of course not watching would have a similar effect but by posting it gives some indication of where a particular went wrong and The Escapist can use these feedback when deciding what new videos to put on its site.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
AceAngel said:
The point Jim is trying to raise (which I think he could have done better by the way, not a nay sayer, just saying the video could have expanded better in this area) is that although Duke is the King of his world, no one questions him, not a single person, not even the enemies.
He is supposed to be the undisputed best thing ever in his world. Like all macho men, they feel that way too. This is the point. Clearly the enemies don't see that, or they wouldn't be doing it. He is not a good character, he is just a character that propels the gameplay, which is over the top, like Duke. He would be a much worse character if he was more serious without all the stupid lines, and did all those over the top things. And I know people think it would be cool if he was lame thinking he was over the top, but that would be a different game.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
bibblles said:
Espsychologist said:
Exactly.

I don't even...

... how is Movie Bob a hippie? xD How is Jim a hippie even? Have you seen a hippie?

In fact, calling someone a pretentious fuck and a hippie is rather contradictory. And if he was unbearable previous times, why are you still attempting to watch?

CINN4M0N

Jan 31, 2010
CINN4M0N said:
I wouldn't say they take the character seriously, just the franchise and the love of it. They like the fact that it's ridiculous and so referencing his corny lines is meant to be funny in an ironic kind of way.

They love the character, but I don't think they seriously take him seriously.

ThatDaveDude1

Feb 7, 2011
CINN4M0N said:

My sentiments exactly.

Woodsey said:
bibblles said:
Espsychologist said:
Exactly.

I don't even...

... how is Movie Bob a hippie? xD How is Jim a hippie even? Have you seen a hippie?

In fact, calling someone a pretentious fuck and a hippie is rather contradictory. And if he was unbearable previous times, why are you still attempting to watch?
I think he meant to say "Hipster," but failed because he hasn't even the most rudimentary grasp of the concept.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
This would actually have to be the very first Jimquisition I've agreed with, kudos this makes sense.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Son of a...

Jesters of the moonless sky!

Nobuo Uematsu's "Jesters of the Moonless Sky" from Final Fantasy IX is playing in the background. Dear God, the nostalgia, the awesomeness...

Hmm, whazzat?
The episode?

Eh, I like both the Duke and the Hedgehog, but I never took either of them seriously.

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
I dont think people understand what he's saying about DN, its not that he's a serious character, it's that in the game world he's taking to seriously, as in nobody in the world looks down at him. Anyway, I'm not saying to agree with him, I'm saying to discuss what he meant, not what you misunderstood.
Basically what you said.

Anyways, I completely agree with both analyses. And Jim--er, his "persona" in this episode is a perfect example of why. He's intentionally insufferable, but it's done in such a way that he's still insufferable, instead of amusing.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
I don't see what's wrong with the show. Maybe some of you guys need to step off your high horses and stop taking everything so seriously.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Jim's style of comedy is slowly growing on me.

However, I don't really agree with what was said in this episode. I think Duke is fine as he is, a character so outrageous that he has no need for any actual in-game irony to not be taken all that seriously. He's essentially the Chuck Norris of gaming.

stewox

Dec 25, 2009
WTF is this doing on Escapist ?!?!

troll more ?

stopped watchign after i cleand my eyes to realize what's going on

EDIT:

I don't know wtf - but why google linked Jim Sterling with CONDUIT 2 ... google gone mad ?

I re-checked that the conduit 2 review was not done by jim sterling ... u have my apologies

Deathkingo

Aug 10, 2009
Littaly said:
This. I always thought Duke was such a great parody that we (as the audience and the real world) simply became part of it an played along. There's no way he is meant to be taken at face value, and he is so overblown as a stereotype that the only thing someone can really do is accept and play along with this gimmick. If you don't, then you don;t really understand the Duke.

Nabirius

Dec 29, 2009
I liked his points on Duke Nukem, but its really just the same point that Yahtzee made about people giving characters to much 'respect' I really think that Yahtzee should have been the one to talk about this, not Jim.

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
Espsychologist said:
Wait a sec, he was trying to be FUNNY?.. I thought the whole thing of his show was to be as much of an unlikable.. Arg.. if i finish that sentence i fear the mods will have something to say, short version: If hes trying to be funny then this attempt is just sad, if hes trying to alienate 80% of his viewers hes doing a spot on job at it, ive given this show a fair chance, ive forced myself through every ep up to this point, albeit on my ipod where the resolution is low enough that i cant tell that hes wearing sunglasses inside (seriously?) and i have not enjoyed a single moment of it, maybe im not the target audience maybe im looking at it the wrong way or maybe jim just does NOT belong on this site.

With reguards also to the "fucking idiot" comment, you say that we've missed the point but its clearly the otherway around, no one was EVER taking you seriously, we ALL know this is a persona that you've made up to get your point across, the PROBLEM is that this persona is so extreamly unlikable and downright iritating to watch that we just simply dont like you, i believe it was our own loud mouth brit (You know, the good one) who said that delibratly trying to be annoying is still annoying, and the fact that you know your doing it just makes it 10 times worse, so now not only do you make terrible videos, but you've also demonstrated arogance to a point my mind fails to comprehend, i dont just dislike your videos anymore jimmy boy, i dislike you.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
This episode rather more entertaining than usual, although I'm a bit sad that he broke down and explained the whole shtick of his character, presumably, for everyone who's been blissfully ignorant of the intensive air traffic that's been going on above their heads. Alas, poor Jim, though I know in your heart of hearts you just want to be loved, this style of humour is not for everyone.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
This is the first time I laughed out loud at a Jimquisition. I hope the trend continues.

Jerram Fahey said:
Am I alone here? I never felt Duke was intended to be taken seriously, but more of a tribute to/parody of 80s action heroes. It's not that he should be idolised or considered "cool" in any way, but simply be thoroughly entertaining with his completely over-the-top badassery. It's the same kind of appeal as making a villain a playable character - you get to have fun blowing crap up without any sense of duty.
Duke Nukem doesn't have nearly enough homoerotic subtext to be a parody of 80s action heroes.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
I've been a fairly harsh critic of Jim Sterling in the past. I'll likely continue to be so, all things considered, and I'm still not very fond of his format.

But on this particular point, I must say I agree 100%.

There is nothing about DNF which has led me to believe Gearbox knows what they're doing
Press conferences at strip clubs, "capture the babe" with butt-smacking to boot, idolising a character which was never intended to be perceived as anything but a satirical exaggeration of male chauvinist tropes...

I do think it's problematic, and I find it rather sad that anyone could seriously believe this approach is relevant in this day and age.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
And now here's Jim Sterling giggling at Jon St John's Duke one liners:

While I agree for the most part with his points, mostly towards Sonic, I'm not really sure what he thinks of Duke Nukem a little.

TheAngryMonkey

Nov 18, 2009
Funny episode, they are getting better and better.
Nice rip on all the Trolls, laughed out loud a bunch of times.
I love all the people who want you gone, I was wondering why when I went to the stable today they were all out of High Horses.
Keep improving, because it's showing.
Looking forward to the next one.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I'm actually quite a fan of this show by now.

While the points brought up aren't as good as in Extra Credits and MovieBob the complete lack of pretentiousness in this show makes it quite refreshing (not saying EC and MB are very pretentious, but there's definitely some of that there and watching it too much can get tiring.)

He can't compete with Zero Punctuation but overall I think he's filling a good niche on this site.

itomeshi

Nov 20, 2009
In response to one of the Facebook comments:

I'm not generally offended by him, I'm just not amused by him either. It's strange, because I was reading something I thought was funny (about how vapid Final Fantasy has become), and it was spot on with a good tone. Then I saw his pic at the bottom and realized it was him on Destructoid.

I think Sterling is or at least can be a good writer, and if his videos weren't such grating self-aggrandizement - even if it is with tongue planted firmly in cheek - I'd enjoy them quite a bit more. Contrast this with Zero Punctuation: it sounds like Yahtzee has a big head, except for, well, the dozens of times that he makes self-deprecating remarks.

In short, I seldom feel his content is wrong or bad. But the tone of his obviously fake persona is so grating, I can't seem to enjoy it. The Rosa Parks comment? It's not funny, it dragged on far too long, and it sounds like it's too honestly denigrating her work. That's a horrible trio.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Jim you are starting to grow on me (and thanks for getting rid of that terrible yellow hat you had on the last episode). I think I'll watch your show more often. But here is something I don't get...why...do people do things Ironically? Or like stuff ironically? I don't get that at all.

Also, am I the only person who is totally not impressed by Duke Nukem and probably won't get it? (This is coming from a guy that totally Bulletstorm and freaking loved it).

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Apr 8, 2020
Country
United States
This was actually a pretty good video, normally I'm neutral with his past few ones, but I liked this one.

I agree with what he has to say about DNF, I've been wondering about it for a bit since the game is going to be coming out soon. Maybe I'm a little nervous since that game has been in production hell for years, and as much as I like Gearbox, I'm wondering if they know that he's supposed to be a parody of all the macho man tropes.

I also wonder if it's still gonna be just as funny as it was back then, I don't know, and that's worrisome to me. Duke isn't supposed to be taken seriously, but I wonder if that's going to be in conflict with the player a lot during the game.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Duke is comedy without the writers needing to resort to any self-depreciation; that would actually make it less entertaining.

Duke should be played straight, because the humor comes from just crossing the line of what is acceptable and good taste.

Wrong is fun, within a certain narrow bandwidth.

The best thing is, we all play a part in the joke, like ALWAYS BET ON DUKE.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Wait, he actually thinks that Duke Nukem is played straight? That he's meant to be taken seriously? Duke Nukem is a PARODY, you can tell that from the goddamn trailer.

Oh, and check out my CAPTCHA:

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
While you make good points and you manage to touch certain sensitive spots in gaming lately, your humor is kinda off.

If I were you, I'd focus on arguments rather than humor.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
vxicepickxv said:
2xDouble said:
Indeed, Jim. What kind of arrogant cock would say "Thank God for me"?

Meta.
The guy who says it in the ironic hipster way?
Jim himself is living proof that saying it "ironically" doesn't automatically make it any more endearing.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I thought it was alright. I think this latest incarnation of Duke is supposed to be somewhat ironic and self-depricating, as compared to the original. Whether or not it actually pulls this off though, we'll have to wait and see?

Drake666

Sep 13, 2010
ShadowKatt said:
Espsychologist said:

You know, if you watch his show, you're saying to the Escapist that you want to see more... it's the same thing if you watch shitty movie, play shitty video games or go to a bad restaurant...

A petition means nothing if there's no intention behind it :)

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
Haha, excellent video. I love the fact that you've actually had to spell out your approach to the viewers here so they can get it, and yet you still manage to keep it in context.

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
dunnace said:
Did you play Bulletstorm? It was almost anticipating the return of Duke and parodied the fuck out of the "too cool to be cool" character. Many dismiss Greyson as simply a "generic bad-ass space marine" but frankly in the games he's the only person who thinks he is cool. Everyone else thinks he's the dick he definitely is, and rather than being the god of his world he often causes catastrophic fuck ups based on his rash and indefensible behaviour. Bulletstorm, despite being a comedy at heart, is also quite a strong piece of character satire.
And more than that, it has a shockingly effective character arc for Greyson, as he slowly comes to realize just how badly he fucked up, and how many lives he's ruined. He actually grows as a character, as do the two supporting ones.

I actually really enjoy Bulletstorm's story UNIRONICALLY, because while it does have a lot of campy fun...it also has actual character, actual character growth, and I wasn't expecting that at all.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Funny enough, when I was a kid, in my hometown everyone treated Duke as an idol - the amount of graffiti concerning him was huge, some signs are still left.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
I really like this episode. He made his point in a clear and concise way and his humor was actually quite funny this time. I admit, I was squeamish about this series at first, but now I like it.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
It would be cool to have a game with a Duke like character at your side, only he's completely incompetent while you did all the work. Like a big trouble in little china videogame where your wang and Jack Burton is your npc partner

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I guess the irony of Duke runs too deep for these tykes. Good point on Sonic, though.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
I think it's a bit too early to tell what Duke Nukem will be from just the trailers. That said, this episode was well made and clearly argued, so good work with that.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
In a way I agree, but on the other hand I am terrified of change in any shape or form. Child of the 90s at work.

Still, I think Duke Nukem IS funny... probably just unintentionally so, which might be where he thinks the problem lies, but there's a certain charm to playing a bad played out joke straight. Watch a movie like Airplane, you'll see what I mean. If you wink at the camera, per say, it may take away from the comedy.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
That was badical. This series is getting better, but it needs higher production values. Please, Escapist, send the good man a better camera.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
dunnace said:
As much as the gameplay of Bulletstorm was most definitely not made for me (it bored me, I watched my roommate play through), the story and characterization was actually really well done at times. And yes, Greyson was definitely a send up of all those "shoot first ask questions later" types. Showing how much of an asshole these archetypes would really probably be (yeah crashing my ship into their ship sounds like a pretty good idea).

Best comedic moment of the game was being stuck in a room with a bomb, but wait! We've found a way out. Going through some vents, going through some vents, you know I really think we'll make it out of this oh we're back in the room with the bomb. Fuck, how did that happen. Great moment. Great comedic timing, which is hard to do in a game in the middle of gameplay.

In the end though, the Duke works for me too. I like how it doesn't take time to wink to the camera. We're getting a glimpse into the kinda world where a guy like Duke would be a national hero. And it's a completely absurd world. This character isn't taken seriously in the games, but the games aren't obvious about that fact.

I good analogy would be the Evil Dead movies. Ash started out too cool for school, and only by the time we got to Army of Darkness was the series very obviously poking fun at his character. And I enjoy both approaches.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Today was the first time I lol'd at Jimquisition.

Also, it's good to see someone saying something negative about Duke Nukem. I didn't get why people liked Duke in the 90's, let alone now.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Looking for character depth and undertones in Duke Nukem.lol. Couldn't miss the point harder if he tried. What's next? Trying to improve a chess game with a backstory on the feud between the Kings? Pimping Tetris with emotional tension between the differently shaped blocks? Some things are worth for what they are doing in a straight and simple fashion, complicating and convoluting them just detracts from it.

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
Keava said:
Whiile i could agree on the Sonic point, i don't really see Duke as Jim describes him. I mean, ever since Duke Nukem franchise started it was a very obvious satire and DN3D probably was the pinncale of it. It was absurd, over the top, it was the bad-assery on the level of action movies featuring the 'manly-man' like Stallone or Van Damme creations.

Sure, you might say, times moved forward and the perception surely has changed, but a quick look at recent action flicks says "Hell no!". We still get the same type of movies in cinemas, the same type of ubermench that gets the chick, blows stuff up and saves the world, and that's why Duke fits in it. I don't see seriousness in the franchise at all, and satire does not need a giant, flashing clue in terms "OH LOOK IM FAILING TO BE FUNNY" to be satire.
i completely agree with this post Duke is never meant to be a serious game and ur not meant to actually like him as a person which is shown by his obvious douche baggery. there is no seriousness in this seriess. and thats where the comedy derives.

theres always a thing about jokes within christmas crackers. they're not meant to be funny, as that splits people who find them funny adn those that don't. but because their intentionally unfunny everybody is agaisnt the joke and comes together. thats where i think duke nukem comes in where all in it together in dukes unfunniness.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Oh, wow Jim, don't worry. No one is taking you seriously.

How to make an episode of Jimquisition:
1. Pick a random topic
2. Invent a side to that topic contrary to your opinion
3. Make fun of your audience for not liking your show
4. Now make fun of that contrary opinion even though it barely exists
5. Attempt to be ironic in a self-referential way... AGAIN
6. Rinse, Repeat for next week.

Apr 28, 2008
People actually take Jim's whole podium shouting narcissistic persona seriously?

Really?

Thats just fucking scary.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
A more thoughtful, understated outing that didn't make me want to smash a 2x4 into his face repeatedly. However, I think Jim has the Alanis Morissette definition of irony stuck in his head, as there's nothing ironic about a fat blogger with a whiny British accent dressing up in a trench coat and sunglasses. It's mostly just a sort of sad affectation.

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
So basically any character that tries to be cool has to recognize that he is doing himself a disservice and ultimately appearing uncool?

Big old fat Jim doesn't seem to quite get it that Duke is also funny because the character is played straight, or even understand the inspiration of the character. You're supposed to be reliving the life of the ultimate 80s action star. Why would a bit of self-detriment add to it? It's supposed to be over the top and his world is supposed to be going along with it; he did save it after all.
­
­
And why is Jim's suit so over-sized? Did he recently lose a hundred pounds or something?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I thought that episode was better presented, at least he's dropped the crap paint art. Getting there Jim.

I don't agree with him about Duke Nukem, I pretty much think of him as a joke, but then again anyone with ovaries would. I completely agree with him about Sonic however that would make the character work much better.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Not rushing to defend Duke Nukem or anything (as I am *gasp* not a big fan), but just because the irony that is Duke isn't signposted in glowing neon lights doesn't mean it doesn't exist. We are supposed to laugh at the absurdity of the action-hero archetype.

The idea that a character who has built statues to himself and has an autobiography entitled Why I'm So Great is supposed to be taken seriously is absurd, especially in this age of gritty brown realism.

And unfortunately Jim, pointing out the shortcomings in the production of your show does not excuse them, or improve them at all. Get a better mic, and learn to use it. The differences in quality between the VO and non-VO parts of this show are shockingly bad.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Jim Sterling said:
Too Cool To Be Cool

What does Duke Nukem and Sonic The Hedgehog have in common? Let Jim Sterling, a literal graduate of the School of Cool (it does exist), explain.

Watch Video
There is, of course, the opposite problem in many cases: situations in which we're beaten with the "drumstick of irony" a little too hard. It gets to a place where we say, "Yeah, we get it, he/she thinks he/she is super awesome, but really they're the laughing stock of the enlightened masses."

There's a balance to be struck. And as with any balance beam, it's possible to fall off either side. Perhaps the folks behind Duke Nukem Forever are working out a better balance than we all think.

Duke isn't meant to be "idolized." He's meant to be a "guilty pleasure." He's all id. He's living out all of the adolescent-boy-power-fantasy garbage that we all used to think would be "so awesome." And on one level, we're supposed to eat it up--blow things up! make wisecracks while blowing things up! get lots of hot girls for blowing things up!

And on another level, I really think the intention is that we see just how ridiculous it really is. Everyone in the game is all about Duke. But we, as the audience, are intended to be part of the "enlightened masses" mentioned earlier. We realize how ridiculous it all is, without having to have a surrogate character in the game telling us to realize it.

In the end, we're not supposed to laugh at Duke as much as we're supposed to laugh at the other people/characters who don't. They're the real butt of the joke here, I think. Is it a great joke? Eh, not really. But I think it's clearly there.

Duke Nukem generally trusts its audience a bit more to find the irony for themselves... and, of course, they don't mind making "boob money" off of the few that don't. Really, though, with all the free boobs (and boob mods for games) to be had on the internet, do we honestly think there are people buying this game solely for the womanizing element?

So basically, yes, you have to make a character like this ridiculous enough that people can't take him seriously (check), but you also can't go the other way and beat your audience in the face with the fact that you're not being serious by going too far over the top. (Finding that balance, in fact, is the main thing that is slowly and gradually improving your own videos. Keep dialing that in by not trying so hard.)

Static Jak

Mar 15, 2011
Sonic thing is absolutely spot on. As it is, Sonic is a parody of himself, but in a way that we laugh "at" him rather than with him. What he needs is to have more of that Dante flair, where he considers himself a parody or those around him consider this.

With Duke, it seems like some guys here missed the point. It isn't that we take him too seriously, it's that the games world does. It's trying to be a comedy but then tries to make Duke out as a serious badass at the same time. And while that worked once upon a time, not so much now. Exact same thing that happened to Sonic.
The humour they represented has either changed completely or just stopped being funny. Both characters are stuck with humour that this society doesn't fully care about anymore.

But, you have to be careful not to go too far. Which is also a possibility. It's more or less finding the right mix. Btw, love to see a weekly write up on a subject too from Jim. Maybe one that comes out after the video that lets Jim go into more detail about the subject.

Funny side note: The way Jim portrays this show is satire, not to be taken seriously in that sense like others have said they don't with Duke. But with a topic starter and point mixed in with that form of satire to portray it.
Yet they end up taking this super cereal :D

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
EvilPicnic said:
The differences in quality between the VO and non-VO parts of this show are shockingly bad.
Yeah it's like Eastenders and NCIS are having a rap battle. Need to sort the sound out in the video parts :<

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I get the sonic part, but Duke isn't supposed to be idolized. He's more of a satirical anti hero than a heroic role model.
Duke Nukem is an egocentrical, over the top, womanizing badass. However, this is in an ironic sense, the most ironic sense it can be, as he is basically every 90's action star combined into one single one liner spewing being. You are right about the fact that you're supposed to laugh when he makes the jokes, but it's not because they're supposed to be funny: it's because they're ridiculous, and you think "What moron would actually say that!?", and whether we like to admit it or not, morons are funny.
This is only hightened by the fact that everything in the game has some type of innuendo to it that could only be written by someone with the maturity level of Beavis and Butthead, such as a town called "Morningwood" or a chinese resturaunt called "Noodle King" with the slogan "Until you've slurped the king's noodle, you haven't tasted anything!"
It's all funny because it thinks it's funny when it isn't, and that's what the developers intended it to be.

Now, the Sonic thing really is a good idea. A Sonic game where he thinks he's the best when nobody else does would really bring the character some new meaning.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Jim had a bad main point and an excellent side point. I haven't met a man or boy who takes Duke Nukem seriously. Yes, he's a hero in his own world, but it's not our world. It's in the same spirit as no-one going "WTF ARE THOSE" in the pokemon world.

However, the side point that sonic needs to be fun again is very true. Don't give him a gun or make him a werehog Hogwolf again...

Slightly better this week all in all. Jim hit out at critic and swapped out his glasses for a cooler set, which weirdly wins him more points that what he had to say this week. Did he really have to labour the meta point though? It doesn't really work as irony if you point out being an arse is your character to the point were you become an arse...anyway, what happened to hated pretentiousness all the way back in last week?

Weasker

Sep 16, 2010
Every monday I think to myself "I'm done with this dude" and every monday the toppic I see in the video makes me go "oh no you didn't... again... stupid mother frapper"

You have failed in every video so far.
-You have failed to make yourself funny: I know you're joking when you praise yourself, it's still not funny, it's very, very annoying. Sotp it. It makes me wanna kick you in the teeth.
-You have failed in DNF: Duke is not Sam or Dante, nor he's to be taken serious, and yet he's funny in his own way, unlike you.
-You have failed in Sonic: you weren't even close to where the problems in the game are.

Here's what I think of you: a fat bastard who starts every episode praising himself and choosing every toppic just to piss off people is just a troll.

And don't come again to me with "don't indiscriminately pick on fat people", I know what's like to be fat, that doesn't make him more appealing or intelligent.

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
Jim, I will watch as long as it takes until you finally turn about and tear open that huge wrapped present behind you. Don't wait too long, however, there could be a pony in there! And that would be bad. I'll keep watching, keep them coming.

Fuhjem

Jan 17, 2009
Duke is a personification of the absurdities of super-masculine macho men. He's meant to be a satire, a good satire, too. One that's hard to tell if it's satire or not; quite unlike the Jimquisition where his satire on the self-indulgent arrogant game critic is so blatantly obvious it falls short of being funny and is just watchable, if not amusing.

I like that you're bringing arguments to the table that most critics haven't touched yet, or have touched very little and/or mishandled, but it seems that you don't have much of an understanding of what Duke Nukem makes fun of: The meat headed, sexist, guns-a-blazin' macho man who uses women as objects of lust and collects them as a sign of dominance. The fact that he's taken seriously in his universe amplifies the stereotype of a male dominated society and just makes everything seem more ridiculous.

But other than that, decent show. It's aging finely, barring a few missteps.

ZeroAE

Jun 7, 2010
Now that you saiy it Jim, Im starting to notice.
Great episode as always.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Thank god for the Jimquisition!!

You brighten my mornings, Jim, keep at it.

mionic

May 22, 2011
I think this show would be better of if Jim would try to be less "ironic"

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Christ, the bit at 1:57 made me snort out my drink. That was honestly one of the funniest responses you could give to the people on here.

messy said:
FelixG said:
bibblles said:
Espsychologist said:
Exactly.

The Escapist makes money via the publishers club and adverts. The level of publisher club members and adverts is directly linked to the number of people who view the site. If there's a video not "pulling its weight" then its in the Escapist best interests to be told of this. Of course not watching would have a similar effect but by posting it gives some indication of where a particular went wrong and The Escapist can use these feedback when deciding what new videos to put on its site.
So, erm, how is that relevant when the guy telling him to stfu and go away was doing so because the only thing the original poster said in the way of criticism was, and I quote "Jim, I hope you read this you pretentious fuck. You are not funny, you are not entertaining, you are a bigger hippie than MovieBob, and because of your pretentious-ness you have failed to be even bearable to watch yet again."

I don't even think that counts as criticism. That is not feedback. That is flaming.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
I dunno Jim, in a world of Marcus Fenix's, Master Chief's, Nathan Drake's and god knows how many other overly worshiped 'badasses' I think someone like Duke really isn't all that harmful.

As for the 'ironic' approach for Sonic, I dunno how to feel about that. I think maybe this whole 'coolness' thing is something not worth taking so seriously. Taking your commentary seriously, this is the response I have.

Taking it as satire... Well for this episode at least, that's a tad bit difficult for me.

Still entertaining vidya nonetheless.

EDIT: Also, I think I know the 'perfect' way to describe my appreciation for a character like Duke and it's because the whole thing is so damn campy. Duke doesn't have to be a total dumbass and he doesn't need to be ridiculed, because he's so cheesy it's amusing.

Just because there's no one in the game to call him out on his behavior doesn't mean he's a bad character. We KNOW Duke Nukem's a total dick/asshole but again, in a world of 'gold hearted' badasses, it's nice to occasionally see a parody/total opposite to make us appreciate them.

Fumofu

Nov 11, 2010
In my opinion it's the most original and insightful episode of his yet. Once again the best parts are when he is talking over gameplay (those were really good) and the worst are when he's talking in front of the camera (those were meh). The talking in front of the camera parts have improved since the start (and reduced too) but I still don't like it as much as when he talks over gameplay.

It's probably because he brings up serious points when during those parts and just tries (sometimes too hard) to be funny in front of the camera. If the Jimquisition sticked to the serious parts then it would be an excellent series.

Ursus Buckler

Apr 15, 2011
I do agree with the point about Sonic, putting an Austin Powers-esque kind of spin on him would make him a far better character... even a die-hard Sonic fan like me can't help but cringe at some of the dialogue he comes out with.
But, I have to say I'm pretty tired of these videos. After seeing what Jim is like in a column, I really am wondering why he hasn't been given one. His humour really isn't well timed or well delivered. I'm just saying, there's a lot of potential being wasted here.

Grevling

Oct 11, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfGGAYy1xYk

I wonder if the video title is a coincidence:p

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Pretty good episode, but maybe your claim that you are a parody in these videos would work a bit better if you didn't have the exact same attitude in your written articles on Destructoid.

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
I like how this episode made a point, some of the other episodes were over-saturated in sarcasm to the underlying message was completely drowned-out. The series is definitely finding its voice.

Espsychologist

Sep 30, 2010
You're right. I've been selfish. I should take my JimQuil with a spoonful of sugar and like it!

XD

(Made in good fun as I know you were being facetious as well)

:)

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Good show. Really enjoyed your take on the Duke, but I've always thought it was more self aware than you give it credit for. Maybe like we're seeing the world through the Duke's eyes, where he is the big macho man awesomest guy ever. Maybe if we saw it from a different perspective it'd be completely different, but since we're playing as Duke everything is colored by his perspective.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
brainslurper said:
He just pwned all of his haters without half of them even knowing it.
And that's why this is the best video series on the Escapist.

Great as always Jim. Ignore the haters, they're just angry because you say sensible things.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
Well he finally explained to some of the slower member of the escapist that he is a persona, cant belive the number of people who thought it was genuine.

SlugLady28

Feb 24, 2011
Your ideas for sonic sound great... but i don't think Duke is as similar to the hedgehog as you say. I assumed that Duke's games were satire. Everyone IN the games love him, he's stereotypically handsome and macho, and he kicks alien butt. But he objectifies women, he's got a huge ego and he's rude. But it's all in satire. We love him too because we're in on the joke. He's like the Companion Cube from Portal!

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Either misunderstanding things is part of your persona. Or you royally screwed the pooch on this one.

The vids have been getting better. But this episode just makes me think you really don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Nukem is the gaming equivalent of Chuck Norris. Infact, he's the logical next step. His character takes the absurdity of the 'ultra cool badass' to such a high level that you are supposed to take it strait faced as part of the implied irony. As if you're part of his world.

How can you not get that?

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Drake666 said:
ShadowKatt said:
Espsychologist said:

You know, if you watch his show, you're saying to the Escapist that you want to see more... it's the same thing if you watch shitty movie, play shitty video games or go to a bad restaurant...

So, just ignore it and it'll go away? I don't know why I didn't think of that, it works every time, right? Try ignoring me, see if I go away. The point here being that if youwant change, you have to take an active part, so I will continue to speak out against it.

Feb 7, 2009
I didn't have a problem with the Jimquisition set of humor. I knew he was not being serious in his over-the-top sort of way and that it was meant in an ironic way. For me, the show just wasn't entertaining. Nothing against Jim. I just don't have the same reaction when I watch his show as when I watch, say, Loading Ready Run.

I did, however, feel that the description of his video last week (though it was meant to be ironic) was just going a little too far. Oh well, at least he had the sense to not do it on Memorial Day. (Yes, I know it's only and American holiday.)

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
I think it's kinda sad the way he's portrayed in DNF.I actually agree with Jim in that aspect because DN is much akin to Johnie Bravo.Except nobody takes Johnie seriously whereas Duke is taken seriously in his own world.That made Johnie so likable because he was some super satire,Duke is supposed to be the same.Getting sucked off by 2 schoolgirls is wrong in a lot of countries as well.

Unless the game is there to fulfill everyone's self desires of being a douchebag who's not only awesome but gets everything he wants.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
while i agree with him i am not entirely sure dante was meant to be this over-the-top-ridiculous in DMC4. I always had the feeling they started out trying to play him straight but at some point realized nobody would like him that way and so they stopped dancing on the edge and just jumped.

Also who takes Duke serious? he was never meant to be serious, and Randy Pitchford imho does a brilliant job at selling that.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
pokepuke said:
So basically any character that tries to be cool has to recognize that he is doing himself a disservice and ultimately appearing uncool?

Big old fat Jim doesn't seem to quite get it that Duke is also funny because the character is played straight, or even understand the inspiration of the character. You're supposed to be reliving the life of the ultimate 80s action star. Why would a bit of self-detriment add to it? It's supposed to be over the top and his world is supposed to be going along with it; he did save it after all.
­
­
And why is Jim's suit so over-sized? Did he recently lose a hundred pounds or something?
Character don't go out of their way to do cool stuff.They just do stuff and you find em cool.

The ultimate 80s action hero was Jack Slater from Last Action Hero.He was awesome,he was cool.He still got knocked around and got his nose rubbed by the department chief who yelled a lot.He wasn't the ultimate badass in his world who got whatever he wanted.There was also a point where he crossed over in the real world and noticed just how fragile he was despite the persona he had in the movies.

Hey still gunna play Duke Nukem but there's points that need mentioning and could've made awesome comedy.But hey I haven't seen it yet.Everything can't be perfect.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
The point you made about Duke Nukem is precisely the problem I have with your show, Jim: You're not giving us enough material to make you seem like a doofus when you pretend to act cool. It seems more like you're playing a straight character. You changed that some in this episode, and it worked; I found this to be a pretty funny episode compared to your earlier ones.

Obviously no one thinks you ACTUALLY think you're as cool as you pretend to be, but when you combine intelligent opinions with a character who thinks he's awesome, it comes off as more of an annoying jerk than a bumbling fool. So yes, your persona seems to conflict with the content of your show.

I hope you can find a good balance. This episode was definitely a step in the right direction.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
"With a background that makes it look like he's in a bad production of V for Vendetta"

I KNEW IT!

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Active Schizophrenic said:
Keep it up jim! others may hate you but you are great at your style of comedy!
This. Some people are just too uptight to lighten up and take his satire for what it is. Personally, i find it funny. And regardless, his snippets of self-glorification are kept to a minimum and his insight is generally worth listening to, so people writing him off solely on the fact that they don't enjoy his style of comedy really need to pay attention to the fact that only 1 minute of the 6 minute videos are dedicated to it.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
Drake666 said:
ShadowKatt said:
Espsychologist said:

So, just ignore it and it'll go away? I don't know why I didn't think of that, it works every time, right? Try ignoring me, see if I go away. The point here being that if youwant change, you have to take an active part, so I will continue to speak out against it.
So you're basically an annoying protestor that won't shut up until they get their way?

Are these videos really hurting you? Why do you want this to be taken off so badly, it's not like you are being forced to watch it every time it comes out. It's not like it's restricting your abilities to enjoy this website or anything. You personally disliking it doesn't mean that it's ruining the whole site. Please just jump off your high horse for a second.

kikon9

Aug 11, 2010
I don't see why everyone hates Jimquisition so much. If you don't like it then don't watch it. Seems simple.

Sharalon

Jan 19, 2011
I don't think that duke is supposed to be taken seriously, but you when you say it... Randy pitchford always seemed a little too... Into it when is was talking about duke.

I really like the show, and it's good that you made it clear for all the stupid people that you are a little bit sarcastic.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Jim has got a fair point. I'm not big on the whole "ironic" thing. However, I won't say it wouldn't work. Maybe this is why I don't like Duke Nukem... it takes itself seriously.

Servantes

Jul 12, 2010
I have to thank you for putting some thought into Sonic, because I personally just gave up on him after Sonic Adventures 2, I thought about it once for a good 2 hours " how can they fix sonic..." and came up with nothing.

As for Dante he came off as a great character who evolved into what I think he was meant to be, I mean think about his character for a moment, his mother was a priestess and his father was a demon general, he killed his own brother who went crazy for power and only thing he has for "friends" is a hot demon chick who looks like his mother and another hot chick who often wants to kill him, I always waited for the moment he would just snap and go demon on people.

Its no surprise he comes off as insane or ridicules at times.

I am a fan of The Duke, but you have a great view point of his persona kind of out of date.

I think way too many people are acting like they never seen a self-centered wisecracking womanizing asshole.....maybe they haven't.... probably why so many people are pulling their hair out asking WHYISTHISGAMECOMINGOUTOMG?! is because they just cant comprehend his attitude.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
This is actually my favorite episode so far. It has the Sonic mention, the Dante mentioning, someone mentioning that Duke isn't as grand as others make him out to be (Who cares: If you're buying the game, you think he's good enough), and a complete knockout on those who take your persona/attire seriously. I thought that was the best part.

Though I still get the feeling that a "games as art" argument may very well be the place where we disagree the most.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Oh good, I'm glad to know I was supposed to think Jim was a moron whose every word should be disregarded as nonsensical pompous rambling, because I was worried that he actually believed what he was saying. Phew, that's a relief.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Hristo Tzonkov said:
I think it's kinda sad the way he's portrayed in DNF.I actually agree with Jim in that aspect because DN is much akin to Johnie Bravo.Except nobody takes Johnie seriously whereas Duke is taken seriously in his own world.That made Johnie so likable because he was some super satire,Duke is supposed to be the same.Getting sucked off by 2 schoolgirls is wrong in a lot of countries as well.

Unless the game is there to fulfill everyone's self desires of being a douchebag who's not only awesome but gets everything he wants.
Err. Wait, which countries exactly, except of course the ones ruled by religious doctrines, in which majority of games would actually be illegal? If i recall correctly "school girl porn"makes up big part of porn overall. Dressed like schoolgirl is not the same as underaged....

Now as for the Duke part, why wouldn't he take himself seriously in his won world? It's not like you relaly interact with many non strippers/monster sin that game. You don't have the reference point of "world treating Duke".
It's a game where over the top action hero goes to blow aliens up, throwing around cheesy one liners and acting extremely sexist towards women. If you don't see the satire on manliness, action flicks and American Way of Life there, then i'm not sure if we played the same games.

Satire, as a genre, doesn't have to be funny in "straight-forward" way at all, it often isn't even meant to be, it's all about throwing random food for thought in a very exaggerated and ludicrous form. One of most known satirical works is "Gargantua and Pantagruel" and i doubt many of people here would find it tasteful or overly 'funny'.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
So... A character has to be actively screaming "WHURR DURR, I'M A MACHO COOL MAN BUT NOT REALLY 'CUZ I'M REALLY LAME! MY LEGS ARE MADE OF PURE LIQUID IRONY!" or have some snarky character cutting their jokes down constantly in order for Jim to think that they're funny? The very fact that Duke is played so unrelentingly straight is what makes him funny!

A minority of people not understanding and taking things too far contributes to the comedy. Steven Cobert is funnier BECAUSE there are people who actually think he's a Republican. Having an outside voice reminding the audience of the central joke constantly MURDERS any merits something has in the first place.

It like telling any joke...

(Comedy begins)
"How many surrealists does it take to screw in a light bulb?"
"I don't know! How many?"
"FISH."
(Comedy ends)

At this point, the comedy as ended for 90% of your audience. If someone didn't get it, they get left behind. It's too bad, but you have still gotten a laugh out of most of your consumers.

If you stand there after you finish the joke and go "Well, you see, 'surrealism' is an artistic movement where things not making sense and being out of place is kind of the point. You were expecting a number of people to be the punchline, but instead it was something random that made no sense!" People will lose interest and you've LOST 90% of your audience at that point. It's why laugh tracks have fallen so far out of style. If you need to be REMINDED why something is funny, it wasn't funny in the first place.

Once again, awful show, awful argument and central point, awful and forgettable personality, awful presentation, awful, ham-fisted attempts at irony... Just BAD.

Boo.

I do like the glasses better this week, though.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Damnit Jim, here I was hearing about your name from sites like GJAIF and coming to the conclusion you must be all that's wrong with gaming journalism today....and then you have to go and do something so freakin' brilliant like this that I have to officially say I am a fan now. Great stuff! And right on the money too with Duke Nukem....helps to explain why I don't now, nor have I ever cared for this character.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Drake666 said:
ShadowKatt said:
Espsychologist said:

So you're basically an annoying protestor that won't shut up until they get their way?

Are these videos really hurting you? Why do you want this to be taken off so badly, it's not like you are being forced to watch it every time it comes out. It's not like it's restricting your abilities to enjoy this website or anything. You personally disliking it doesn't mean that it's ruining the whole site. Please just jump off your high horse for a second.
Ah, so now having a poor opinion of something is simply having a superiority complex(the "high horse") you refered to. I dislike the Jimquisition, but you offend me with your accusations.

No, I'm not being forced to watch it, but whether you like it or not(which I'm sure is heavily the 'not') I'm just as much a part of this community as you are and I have just as much a vested interest in this site maintaining a certain standard of excellence that I feel the Jimquisition does NOT stand up to. That's why I speak out against it, because when you compare it to other columns like Extra Credits and The Big Picture, it falls very short in terms of contant and presentation.

And I'm not alone. It's not one person that isn't satisfied with this kind of content on the site.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.287959-Poll-do-you-like-jimquisition

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Harry Mason said:
So... A character has to be actively screaming "WHURR DURR, I'M A MACHO COOL MAN BUT NOT REALLY 'CUZ I'M REALLY LAME! MY LEGS ARE MADE OF PURE LIQUID IRONY!" or have some snarky character cutting their jokes down constantly in order for Jim to think that they're funny? The very fact that Duke is played so unrelentingly straight is what makes him funny!

A minority of people not understanding and taking things too far contributes to the comedy. Steven Cobert is funnier BECAUSE there are people who actually think he's a Republican. Having an outside voice reminding the audience of the central joke constantly MURDERS any merits something has in the first place.

It like telling any joke...

(Comedy begins)
"How many surrealists does it take to screw in a light bulb?"
"I don't know! How many?"
"FISH."
(Comedy ends)

At this point, the comedy as ended for 90% of your audience. If someone didn't get it, they get left behind. It's too bad, but you have still gotten a laugh out of most of your consumers.

If you stand there after you finish the joke and go "Well, you see, 'surrealism' is an artistic movement where things not making sense and being out of place is kind of the point. You were expecting a number of people to be the punchline, but instead it was something random that made no sense!" People will lose interest and you've LOST 90% of your audience at that point. It's why laugh tracks have fallen so far out of style. If you need to be REMINDED why something is funny, it wasn't funny in the first place.

Once again, awful show, awful argument and central point, awful and forgettable personality, awful presentation, awful, ham-fisted attempts at irony... Just BAD.

Boo.

I do like the glasses better this week, though.
Well if it helps any, that's what I got out of his show: that the Duke is now having to remind us of why he's funny, essentially, and it shouldn't have to do that; it's telling us the same joke that's already been done to death a thousand times since, essentially...it needs comedic irony, something....anything!....to make it notable in some way today, outside of the fact that its a vaporware game finally coming to life.

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
I think you've got a point here with Duke Nukem, although I'm not entirely sure I agree with the specifics. Whether he's supposed to be an over the top parody or played straight, I just never found the whole concept funny. It's actually one of those situations where not only is it not funny, I'm not even sure what's SUPPOSED to be funny about it.

You'd totally right about Sonic though. Jesus, I can't believe there was ever a time when people thought Sonic really was cool. The 90's were a strange time.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
kikon9 said:
I don't see why everyone hates Jimquisition so much. If you don't like it then don't watch it. Seems simple.
There's a pretty loud minority online that doesn't seem to understand that the best way to protest someone is to stop talking about them, stop listening to/watching them, and stop making them relevant by virtue of ignoring the subject of their ire.

Luckily, they go right on bitching about Jim and that makes him more relevant than he ever would have been if they had simply disregarded him entirely!

Honestly, the first time I ever heard of the guy it was on some web sites that regularly held him up as the poster child for all that is evil about the internet. Now that I've seen a few of his shows, I think its pretty safe to say that those people need to chill out and maybe focus on real problems in the Real World that deserve more attention than trying to smear Jim's own ironically besmirched name. The guy is a developing talent, he's not nearly as vile as his online persona makes him out to be, and he's got some decent observations....and I fully expect him to continue to get better and more polished at the webcast thing over time.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
Keava said:
Hristo Tzonkov said:

Err. Wait, which countries exactly, except of course the ones ruled by religious doctrines, in which majority of games would actually be illegal? If i recall correctly "school girl porn"makes up big part of porn overall. Dressed like schoolgirl is not the same as underaged....

Now as for the Duke part, why wouldn't he take himself seriously in his won world? It's not like you relaly interact with many non strippers/monster sin that game. You don't have the reference point of "world treating Duke".
It's a game where over the top action hero goes to blow aliens up, throwing around cheesy one liners and acting extremely sexist towards women. If you don't see the satire on manliness, action flicks and American Way of Life there, then i'm not sure if we played the same games.

Satire, as a genre, doesn't have to be funny in "straight-forward" way at all, it often isn't even meant to be, it's all about throwing random food for thought in a very exaggerated and ludicrous form. One of most known satirical works is "Gargantua and Pantagruel" and i doubt many of people here would find it tasteful or overly 'funny'.
Well there's a difference between schoolgirl and women dressed as schoolgirls which was something I might've missed :p.

The point of Jims video was that.The world treating the character.Which is most important for an over the top character.I personally don't find the intrigue in Duke being himself and people being glad about him being himself.It's a really warped reality and you lose the satire and interesting likability about the character being flawed despite perfect.It slowly turns into a wank fantasy.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Who is Jim to say what is cool?!
He wouldn't know cool if Jack Frost bit him.

I think of Duke as... The "Anti-Jim"!

Think of it; Duke is witty, physically fit, adored by women annnnd looks GOOD in sunglasses.

Unlike a certain circus tent wearer I could mention.

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
Jim seems to have confused cool with comic. It is the essence of comedy to have a man think he is cool/smart/charismatic when is actually uncool/dumb/uncharismatic. The tragic clown. We love them because they are tragic, we find them funny because everyone likes to laugh at the pomposity of an arrogant fool. The best example of this is Rigsby in Rising Damp.

Anyway, where was I? O yeah, Jim has a point that it is very difficult and foolhardy to say 'let us make a story about a cool character who goes around doing cool things and everyone thinks hes cool'. It is much easier to have a supporting character as the cool guy, because we see less of him. You follow someone round long enough and the lose their mystery and 'coolness'. Hobbes said every man must sleep and so therefore no man is invincible (I'm paraphrasing). It much the same way, nobody looks cool on the john (toilet).

I guess James Bond is the inspiration, forever cool and forever a murdering wiseass womanizer. But Bond has class, Nukkem has no class whatsoever. No class, no humour, no style - how can he still be cool? Actually Schwarzenegger is probably the inspiration. But at least he had a funny accent.

So make Nukkem Austrian and keep the same script? Yep.

^ I just typed a complete pile of shite but oh well.

Apr 24, 2008
The humour in Duke Nukem is too dry?

It's pastiche more than it is parody anyway, so it makes sense for the delivery to be fairly straight.

Duke is fine, I definitly don't want him to be just another idiot-savant character, that's seriously been done to death in recent years.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Hristo Tzonkov said:
Well there's a difference between schoolgirl and women dressed as schoolgirls which was something I might've missed :p.

The point of Jims video was that.The world treating the character.Which is most important for an over the top character.I personally don't find the intrigue in Duke being himself and people being glad about him being himself.It's a really warped reality and you lose the satire and interesting likability about the character being flawed despite perfect.It slowly turns into a wank fantasy.
I really have to disagree. I see it as a satire on wank fantasy actually. Whatever Mary Sue fanfics can achieve Duke just does more of, in more 'cool' ways. That's the point. To find the boundaries and push them even further.

Satire gained it's 'funny' part only in modern times, but books like Orwell's Animal Farm, 1984, Burgess's Clockwork Orange or even Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 and American Psycho by Ellis are in fact satire. Neither of those books is really 'funny', some of them are disgusting, cruel, extremely violent or simply terrifying.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Littaly, CINN4M0N, cainx10a, WaaghPowa have already said what I was going to say about duke nukem. Now on to Sonic the Hedgehog.

I agree on the terms that sonic should not be saying certain things to be "cool". Now if we go back and play the games Sonic 1 - Sonic & Knuckles you would see that the "90's" era sonic is still timeless. It has more on how he acts in the game and the platforming over seeing a cutscene of him talk or do something we have no control of. Could you imagine playing a Mario game where Bowser, Mario, or Luigi are talking in between levels? It is such a stab at the flow of the game. So less talking and more playing the character.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Drake666 said:
ShadowKatt said:
Espsychologist said:

Ah, so now having a poor opinion of something is simply having a superiority complex(the "high horse") you refered to. I dislike the Jimquisition, but you offend me with your accusations.

No, I'm not being forced to watch it, but whether you like it or not(which I'm sure is heavily the 'not') I'm just as much a part of this community as you are and I have just as much a vested interest in this site maintaining a certain standard of excellence that I feel the Jimquisition does NOT stand up to. That's why I speak out against it, because when you compare it to other columns like Extra Credits and The Big Picture, it falls very short in terms of contant and presentation.

And I'm not alone. It's not one person that isn't satisfied with this kind of content on the site.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.287959-Poll-do-you-like-jimquisition
I'm aware that YOU think that it falls short in "contant" and presentation, that's pretty obvious. And yes, I know you're not alone. There are always at least two people in the world that will share the same opinion. Boo hoo, more people voted "No" than "Yes" on a poll that didn't receive much attention.

I never said weren't a part of the community, just remember that there's a part of this community that does enjoy the content Jim Sterling puts out. Look at this way: would it be better for members of the community to have the ability to watch the content on the site and the members that don't want to watch it to ignore it? Or should it just be removed entirely so only one camp is happy? The latter seems to be the way you function.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
A thoughtful and funny series. I quite enjoyed today's especially the idea with SOnic - devalue the franchise in order to increase its value and relevance. A curious and insightful idea.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
Keava said:
Hristo Tzonkov said:

I really have to disagree. I see it as a satire on wank fantasy actually. Whatever Mary Sue fanfics can achieve Duke just does more of, in more 'cool' ways. That's the point. To find the boundaries and push them even further.

Satire gained it's 'funny' part only in modern times, but books like Orwell's Animal Farm, 1984, Burgess's Clockwork Orange or even Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 and American Psycho by Ellis are in fact satire. Neither of those books is really 'funny', some of them are disgusting, cruel, extremely violent or simply terrifying.
Thanks for snipping my quote :D.

I guess I'm used to certain types of those overly cool characters.And they usually fail despite being so cool(already mentioned Bravo and Slater,might as well throw in Ash from Evil Dead).I find it hard to imagine a world where everyone agrees with you.If they did it would be quite boring.

You seem very learned on the subject...I've just heard about those books and watched the movie on the last one.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Drake666 said:
ShadowKatt said:
Espsychologist said:

I'm aware that YOU think that it falls short in "contant" and presentation, that's pretty obvious. And yes, I know you're not alone. There are always at least two people in the world that will share the same opinion. Boo hoo, more people voted "No" than "Yes" on a poll that didn't receive much attention.

I never said weren't a part of the community, just remember that there's a part of this community that does enjoy the content Jim Sterling puts out. Look at this way: would it be better for members of the community to have the ability to watch the content on the site and the members that don't want to watch it to ignore it? Or should it just be removed entirely so only one camp is happy? The latter seems to be the way you function.
Yes, even when that one camp is the majority, we have to have EVERYTHING so EVERYONE is happy ALL the time. I find it amusing that you want to attack me for trying to deny a part of the escapist their Jimquisition, well the same could be said of the Jimquisition occupying the monday slot and taking up the space that could be used for something better.

You want to criticize me for having some kind of false moral high ground, my "high horse", and you're doing no better mocking the numbers of people that aren't satisfied with the content.

The escapist and its community deserve better being the best gaming site on the internet. I feel insulted that when the people that want to criticise and tear down gaming come here to look for more fuel to use against gaming as a hobby and a culture, the Jimquisition is right there on the front page to emphasise the same old arrogant, ignorant, immature stereotype.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Drake666 said:
ShadowKatt said:
Espsychologist said:

Yes, even when that one camp is the majority, we have to have EVERYTHING so EVERYONE is happy ALL the time. I find it amusing that you want to attack me for trying to deny a part of the escapist their Jimquisition, well the same could be said of the Jimquisition occupying the monday slot and taking up the space that could be used for something better.

You want to criticize me for having some kind of false moral high ground, my "high horse", and you're doing no better mocking the numbers of people that aren't satisfied with the content.

The escapist and its community deserve better being the best gaming site on the internet. I feel insulted that when the people that want to criticise and tear down gaming come here to look for more fuel to use against gaming as a hobby and a culture, the Jimquisition is right there on the front page to emphasise the same old arrogant, ignorant, immature stereotype.
That one camp isn't even a huge majority anymore. It's starting to get closer and closer, whether you like it or not. And whether or not something is "better" is kind of subjective, of course I wouldn't expect you to address that or anything. I haven't noticed the same amount of foaming-in-the-mouth comments in this video as the previous videos.

Reallink

Feb 17, 2011
I actually didn't mind this one. But going on about how he was essentially a parody? Ugh.

Show, don't tell. If I, a member of the general public, can't tell you're pretending to be annoying without you having to tell me, it isn't being done well enough

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Drake666 said:
ShadowKatt said:
Espsychologist said:

That one camp isn't even a huge majority anymore. It's starting to get closer and closer, whether you like it or not. And whether or not something is "better" is kind of subjective, of course I wouldn't expect you to address that or anything. I haven't noticed the same amount of foaming-in-the-mouth comments in this video as the previous videos.
According to that poll that I liked that majority is still better than half the site and more than 1/5 the active community than those that actually like this. Liking or disliking may be subjective, but if you want to watch it so badly, go watch it somewhere else. This site as spoken and they don't want it. You tell me how the numbers are now suddenly subjective.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Balobo said:
ShadowKatt said:
Drake666 said:
ShadowKatt said:
Espsychologist said:

According to that poll that I liked that majority is still better than half the site and more than 1/5 the active community than those that actually like this. Liking or disliking may be subjective, but if you want to watch it so badly, go watch it somewhere else. This site as spoken and they don't want it. You tell me how the numbers are now suddenly subjective.
I didn't realize that every single user took that poll. Sorry.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I don't see how people hate him, he plays a "character" like colbert does... except for video games and more swearing

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
go back to not addressing the haters. this last one was terrible. your delivery for faux arrogance and conceit is a little off too. you failed in the same way you were talking about duke failing.

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
While I don't think there's anything wrong with this video such at is and the point, can't help to think that we are already bit overloading on the "Ironic looser hero" can't help but feel that it is somewhat asking to characterise characters by how good their franchise are doing overall.

Sonic isn't doing to well? well let's make him a loser in game! (I'm parodying a bit here since Jim does bring out the fact that Sonic attitude a bit a victim of Totally Racial! although I don't think its that bad)

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Mike Laserbeam said:
I liked it.
I certainly find Jimquisition MUCH easier to stomach than a lot of the stuff on this site. (Not ZP, Movie Bob or Extra Credits though)
This. Extra Credits is so pretentious it hurts to watch.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
dibblywibbles said:
go back to not addressing the haters.
Of course, before this he was addressing the haters with cringe-worthy tweets haha. Man is really thin-skinned for some reason, which is really odd given his persona.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Seems Jim and Duke have a lot in common.

The joke of Duke is he's sort of the natural extrapolation of all those Cool Dude shows and video games of the late 80s and early 90s (instead of having the character dress and act super kewl, he's just treated as the coolest thing ever within the game world. The joke is always played extremely straight with no knowing wink to the audience, much like no one in South Park acknowledges that Terrance & Phillip is the dumbest show ever to appear on television. The audience is trusted to know that a womanizing meat-head who constantly cracks stupid jokes he cribbed from the equally stupid "They Live" is not to be taken seriously... much as Jim considers his entire persona as so far over the top to be taken as satire without him winking to the audience that it's all a big joke.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Loved the call out on the V for Vendetta comment about the background

You're doing well

+1 Fan

And internet cookies to you :D

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
Espsychologist said:
I keep watching, hoping that something funny will be said and yet every time I'm disappointed. I want to like this guy, I really do but I just don't. He may make some good points from time to time, but overall I'm just bored with this series.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Ace IV said:
Mike Laserbeam said:
I liked it.
This. Extra Credits is so pretentious it hurts to watch.
Wow I'm glad that's only you with that opinion during my lurking. And that includes the post you quoted. He was saying that he can stomach Extra Credits, not that it was so pretentious it hurts to watch. Not to mention they're technically not acting like they're more important than they actually are...which is the meaning of pretentious. I take it they said something you disagreed with? Was it the time they took a clip from Fox News that put them in a bad light on the Escapist?

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Nurb said:
I don't see how people hate him, he plays a "character" like colbert does... except for video games and more swearing
We get that. It's a bad character. It's derivative and not funny.

I consider this episode a disaster. Sterling must be the only person on the planet who thinks Duke Nukem is played straight and meant to be taken seriously. If he had ever played a Duke Nukem game, read any article, or just watched a fucking trailer, he would know different. Why didn't he learn something about this subject before writing this episode? Why does the escapist provide a platform for this junk?

Sterling's bad criticism of Duke Nukem is really just a bad criticism of satire in general. I don't mean to be cruel, but I wonder if he even understands what satire is.