Jimquisition: Too Cool To Be Cool

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Too Cool To Be Cool

What does Duke Nukem and Sonic The Hedgehog have in common? Let Jim Sterling, a literal graduate of the School of Cool (it does exist), explain.

Watch Video

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
Totally agree, we need a life in the shitter sonic.
Can somebody explain whats with the black lines on the background?

emusega

Jan 17, 2011
Alright you've got a point. Not bad this episode.
I think it's a little sad that you need to point out that your persona is meant in an ironic way. Not because you want to, but because people wouldn't get it.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
"Badical" needs to be a real word. Also, I do agree. I remember hearing one quote: "Cool has a shelf life, and if that's all your character has, so do they." Loved the knock at the people who take this a little too seriously. It's kinda sad that some people probably needed it pointed out...

Not much else to say. Keep doing what you're doing.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I thought the section where he analysed Sonic was by far the most interesting part of the show.

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
What I basicly got from this is - Sarcasm is the best tool to introduce characters and keep them fresh when used in moderation. And I agree!
But 8 minutes of saying it and never expanding on it was a waste...

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
I cant think of an icon i might have who would not like to have his knob sucked by 2 schoolgirls

joeman098

Jun 18, 2007
at first when i started watching these I was all like
Whos this fat guy Whats with the background why is he rambling

now im all like
LOL jim LOL even started reading or well noticing his stuff on destructoid and the review of the new PS3 firmware was great keep it coming jim

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Great, these episodes just get better and better, I agree that Sonic is seriously annoying how he tries to be cool all the time. Keep 'em coming Jim!

motyr

May 24, 2010
i think this series is leaps and bounds beyond what it was in the first few weeks.

I more-or-less agree with Jim, however, irrelevant 90s sonic in the 2010s? That's way too meta for Sonic's core demorgraphic.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Whiile i could agree on the Sonic point, i don't really see Duke as Jim describes him. I mean, ever since Duke Nukem franchise started it was a very obvious satire and DN3D probably was the pinncale of it. It was absurd, over the top, it was the bad-assery on the level of action movies featuring the 'manly-man' like Stallone or Van Damme creations.

Sure, you might say, times moved forward and the perception surely has changed, but a quick look at recent action flicks says "Hell no!". We still get the same type of movies in cinemas, the same type of ubermench that gets the chick, blows stuff up and saves the world, and that's why Duke fits in it. I don't see seriousness in the franchise at all, and satire does not need a giant, flashing clue in terms "OH LOOK IM FAILING TO BE FUNNY" to be satire.

Ishiro32

Mar 28, 2011
Not bad... Not good... Avarage, which means. You make progress, keep up.

BTW i never saw Duke as serious character. Come on "I've got balls of steel" couldn't be taken seriously.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
People take Duke Nukem seriously? God, I hope not o_O

Maybe in they idolize him in an ironic sense, but I can't see people actually thinking he's the ideal man. I've always thought it was an exaggeration for lame laughs, kind of like Chuck Norris, where the joke consists in how straight faced it is and how far people take if. I really hope I'm not wrong about that...

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
I can see where you are coming from when it comes to Sonic The Hedgehog, but a little less so with Duke. The guy's been gone for 15 years, and showing he hasn't changed a bit I think is a gold star, because the games themselves were supposed to be relatively light-hearted and not meant to be taken seriously. It's videogame high camp, not some serious story about some misogynist prick. Sonic on the other hand has been like watching your home town slowly get blown apart, one shitty game at a time, and him seen in a self-deprecating fashion is like watching someone clumsily apologize for all of the chaos upto this point.

All things considered, I am starting to warm up to your show, personal highlight was on "Weird is Not Enough," though some of your other episodes were very grating by comparison. Grating as they are, it is a different kind of opinion to be heard and glad to see you're trying your best to defend it.

CINN4M0N

Jan 31, 2010
I disagree, Jim, I think you're missing the point of Duke.

His jokes are supposed to be shit, but he's still not supposed to be called out for it or portrayed as unfunny or less cool because of it. He's meant to still be idolised in his world, which makes the joke funny for us outsiders looking in. We don't idolise Duke, we laugh at him and the morons in his universe for still idolising him, and get to feel kinda badass that that's our character.

We go into the game already knowing that he's a total doofus. If the game took the time to tell us this, it would lose some of its impact. We just accept the world as silly and fun, and love it for that.

Also, just because Sam Stone was made out clearly to be an idiot, doesn't mean Duke has to be. I'm all for games varying from one another, otherwise they bleed into a one flavour formula that never does anything different.

In an age where "realism" is becoming more and more predominant, some games just need to get more and more outrageous to be pure fun. I don't play games to see my character do something I can do in real life, I wanna see him curbstomp,punch through heads, and have a three-way with a school twins.

And I've never played Devil May Cry, but it seems like a whole nother kettle of fish. Sounds like a serious drama, where Duke is a light-hearted comedy. You're not supposed to read into anything too much.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I agree with your Sonic analisis, Everything else tough, is just wasting time.

Jun 5, 2010
Mr. Omega said:
"Badical" needs to be a real word. Also, I do agree. I remember hearing one quote: "Cool has a shelf life, and if that's all your character has, so do they." Loved the knock at the people who take this a little too seriously. It's kinda sad that some people probably needed it pointed out...

Not much else to say. Keep doing what you're doing.
i think thats an overthinker quote