Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

VenusInFurs

Nov 27, 2010
JackSparrowSucks said:
VenusInFurs said:
Hello, I came here over from Destructoid to support Jim, if it wasn't for that, I would have never step foot inside this elitist camp filled with nonsensical ramblings about a writer who has more talent then the pretentious Movie Bob or the tiring Yahtzee. Really, I wasn't going to leave a comment, but strolling down one page on this very comment section reminds me why I left The Escapist and never looked back.
Yeah, high standards suck.
No, wait, I meant:
hi-standerds suk.

Exactly, elitism rules this site. Disgusting.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Heres an idea. Want to advertise a newcomer to The Escapist? Don't be egocentric and fill the screen and prevent you from clicking on anything else with your advertisement! I'm not going to even give this video a second because of this.

Alden Hou

Mar 19, 2010
perfect compliment to my zp and extra credits, please add some more jokes please, being witty attracts attention, and keeps the viewer more into what you're saying.

Icaruss

Mar 24, 2011
I'm gonna be honest the only reason i gave it a shot was because the pic with the word lesbian on it..not bad all in all though his voice is somewhat annoying he did have a few good points....i still still feel tricked.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Not bad for a start, I suppose. I wish him the best of luck.

Also, how did Tommy Wiseau's Paint balls get past the censors?!

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
I like him. An open, honest approach, less special effects than Yahtzee and Extra Credits, that takes courage.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
I started off holding my breath on this video. The title had me thinking it was another one of those "Games are toys" people. But I was pleasantly surprised. Heavy Rain was just a giant choose your own adventure quick time event. If you want good character writing (that's what I hear people clamoring on about in defense of HR) Then you should go try Mass Effect 1 & 2. It still has really good character and story writing AND you get to actually play a game.

NeoShinGundam

May 2, 2009
Hey Jim, finally ditched those losers at Destructoid?

I'm just joking :p Nice to see you here though. Hope it's not a one time thing ^_^

kelarius

May 30, 2008
as much as i appreciate the effort he feels a little brash which kind of takes away from his argument a little i will probably not watch again

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
VenusInFurs said:
Exactly, elitism rules this site. Disgusting.
I'm sorry, I realise there is a lot of mud flung across the isle from both "sides" here, but I feel compelled to address this.
Is it really as simple as that? Can an overwhelmingly negative response simply be attributed to some kind of resident "elitism" without taking the expressed impressions of the users in mind?

I'm not saying every comment here deserves scrutiny (there's been a fair amount too many cheap "fat" remarks to suit my fancy - of course, that also serves to dispute the alleged elitism), but by reducing everyone to that one label, you aren't helping whatever angle you are advocating yourself.

Personally, I think Sterling is a very problematic commentator due to his hyperbole and less than wholesome history of slurs regarding gender politics.
If those objections render me "elitist", point me to the nearest ivory tower.

Azulito

Jan 1, 2009
Admittedly, I don't like him and it's disappointing. He brings up some very good points but the whole "Angry Ranter" persona just doesn't cut it for me.

He's a little like 'Extra Credits' with the word "Fuck"/"Fucking" thrown in.

If he tones down his attitude and gives a much more polite performance, he'll do well. Throwing "Fuck", "Fucking" and "Penis" into an argument makes him lose all credibility and will end with people disregarding every word.

Cooperblack

Apr 6, 2009
Wait if they had stated the "Heavy Rain is the Cadillac of video games" would this guy be making a vid that games aren't cars?

Honestly it's fucking sales hype, Those guys would tell you that Heavy Rain is the new fucking Jesus if they believed it would sell more games, Everybody knows that and the marketing departments knows that everybody knows it, So in the end all there is left is references to Hollywood in a marketing paper.. and you know what considering the game it's not all that weird.

I don't think the gaming industry has any type of inferiority complex to the movies nor do the gaming community get presented as such.

I the end it's seems more like this dude is presenting his own sense of inferiority.

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
so we reached the point where any generic fat guy can put on a tie, make shit up and call it a day. A part of me just died. That being said, I'll pass this, whether the dude's right or not