Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

VenusInFurs

Nov 27, 2010
JackSparrowSucks said:
VenusInFurs said:
Thank you for sending me words I've already read, and guess what? I find nothing wrong. I guess I'm a misogynist too and I guess I treat every girl I dated with disrespect. Again, you prove nothing.
I prove nothing by proving that Jim has an issue with women.
Ok.

I hope you know that you and I aren't misogynists for disagreeing with a woman, or not liking a woman. Hell, even calling a women a "*****-flavored assface" doesn't make you a misogynist.(although, you may have another, more serious issue if you actually even thought of saying that)
Jim hates the woman. If Jim ruled the world, I don't doubt that they'd be reduced to second-class citizenship.

You're a smart guy, you know that he has a bit of an issue with chicks.
""*****-flavored assface" doesn't make you a misogynist.(although, you may have another, more serious issue if you actually even thought of saying that)"

Wow, that is the most ludicrous thing I ever heard! You never had fight with a significant other? Worse words have vomited out of my mouth! And Vice Versa, of course. It happens. Read the comments, I'm not the only who agrees with him. I've listen to podcast where women said that he's not a misogynist.

I respect your reply. You answered without the typical "he's fat" and "ugly" comment. Thank you.

Theremin

Apr 14, 2009
VenusInFurs said:
Hahaha, really? Please, enlighten me! What has he done/said that make him an misogynist.
I had never heard of the the guy being accused of misogyny, so I investigated and found a post from a blog about gender in gaming about the whole incident.

http://gomakemeasandwich.blogspot.com/2011/02/in-his-words-why-jim-sterling-is-in.html

I think it's better than the links you've been given because it doesn't cherry-pick quotes, has varied sources, cites those sources, and acknowledges that the exchange that incited the whole incident was not an *entirely* one-sided affair.

That said, from reading this and a couple of other things, I'm pretty convinced that it's a legitimate complaint. I understand that he often uses comedy in his writing, but some of the stuff he comes out with goes beyond hyperbole. The guy definitely comes across as really revolting in a lot of ways and I'm avoiding any projects he's involved in the future.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
...Really? You're doing this, Escapist? After I just REPAID MY $20 SUBSCRIPTION.

We already have a foul-mouthed, sarcastic British person making videos for this site. His name is Yahtzee Croshaw. We do not need a replacement. There's "having a sarcastic, but rather humourous attitude" and "being a complete and utter fuckwit". Yahtzee is the first one. Sadly, this "Jim" guy is the latter.

THIS is the kind of shit you throw in to replace GREAT shows like ENN and Good Knight's Quest? I didn't realize The Escapist went all business and no fun, deciding to bring in "experts" from other sites to raise viewership. Try being original, rather than rehashing or making new series which consist of needless bitching.

I now also know where Glenn Beck went after FOX News. He's here at The Escapist, bringing the quality of content down. Monday is already perfectly fine with Unskippable, LoadingReadyRun and Daily Drop, putting this new tripe on the front page doesn't help.

EDIT: Okay, so I started watching (I have places to be today, shut up..) and I hated the whole "pimp/rapper" act. Then Thorn & Zorn's theme from FFIX started in the background. But why is there some twat talking over the top of such an awesome OST? Le sigh..

And upon reading more comments, this show was on Destructoid? ...Like, the actual same show? Huh. Way to rip stuff off, Escapist. Scrambling for material? I know, you want other dickwits who think they know everything to host a show? I'll definitely give that persona a go..

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Can't say I'm a fan of the new guy, but so long as they aren't forcing me to watch his videos he's free to rant as much as he pleases.

Omega Deuse

Sep 4, 2009
I can't say I particularly liked this. He came off as far to repetitive for my taste, and the topic was either blindingly obvious (game=/=movie~rock=/=tree) which isn't particularly useful or a rant against various marketing buzzwords, which is likewise not particularly useful. The lack of any solid references made this seem less than credible and the frequent swearing and occasional drawing of hairy genitalia appearing on the screen did not help it's case.
It could be that I'm comparing this to much to Extra Credit, but honestly I see no reason I shouldn't. Both talk about similar topics but one uses well reasoned discussion while the other reeks of sensationalism.
I'll give this show a second chance, maybe this was just a bad topic or something, but honestly if all his shows are like this I'm going to be a bit disappointed in the Escapist.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
On the other hand, games able to really deliver a strong narrative as games have not been around for a particularly long time. The field from which really good narratives can be drawn is much smaller.

Games do have an inherent advantage over films though, which is the interactive component. The player is far more personally involved in a story that they've contributed to by their actions, even if those actions are as simple as walking a character from point A to point B so they can have a cutscene and a bossfight (which is why you'll occasionally hear people saying that the confused messes that comprise the average JRPG story are "good").
I'll concede the point that games have the potential inherent advantage over films. But honestly, how many games truly exploit that advantage beyond giving the player the opportunity to exercise copious amounts of violence on their foes? Most modern games, like films, rely almost solely on cinematics to drive their narratives forward, only rarely as good. That for me does not a immersive narrative make. If anything, it only makes for a badly paced one.

That was actually the one thing I truly enjoyed about Heavy Rain; the dialogues. They weren't well-written, clever, insightful, or anything like that, but they did place a lot of the responsibility on the player, which was a refreshing change beyond the "press X to proceed"s, or Bioware's 'wheel', which lacked the depth and uncertainty, which could have made it great. Heavy Rain's dialogues were actually interactive, and in a very human sense.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Sad but true: I recognized the Final Fantasy IX track looping in the background within the first ten seconds.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
So, I don't think I'll be watching this video series any further. Not that I don't agree with his points but I didn't find the style or presentation very entertaining.

cononor

Jul 21, 2009
Quite an enjoyable first video. I'll definitely be seeing how it goes next week. Two criticisms, though:
1. Not the best choice of topic. If you're posting on the escapist "games are different from films" really isn't going to enlighten anybody here. We've figured that out for ourselves.
2. Bloody hell, you seemed nervous. You need to relax a little, man.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
a well put argument, although it's nothing we haven't heard before. This show needs a little more personality for it to succeed to be something other than monday filler.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
teknoarcanist said:
Sad but true: I recognized the Final Fantasy IX track looping in the background within the first ten seconds.
This. Totally this. As I edited in my comment above, first thing I noticed. And the first thing I hoped would stay. The rest isn't required..

EDIT: WAIT. WAITWAITWAIT. What's this? The Escapist watermark is just the "e"? Oh. So what about shows like ZP and Unskippable? They have to have a MASSIVE watermark with the whole website address? Awesome. Good to know.

Ris

Mar 31, 2011
Nimzar said:
So, I don't think I'll be watching this video series any further. Not that I don't agree with his points but I didn't find the style or presentation very entertaining.
As much as this is entirely your choice - and I'm not so much addressing you as I'm addressing everyone who have made similar comments - I don't think it's very fair to dismiss anything like this on first watch. All shows grow and find their own styles, that's evident from watching early episodes of pretty much any show or webcomic. It may take a while for this one to find it's feet.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Revrant said:
"reviews editor for Destructoid.com and a game media gun-for-hire who appears regularly at GamePro, GameFront, GamesRadar"

The guy who let the site give Dead Space 2 one of the highest scores in the industry, which GamePro also did, and is associated with GamesRadar on top of that?

And I never watched anything he did ever again
What do you mean by "let"? Is he an editor for any of the sites you mentioned?

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Well that was pretty rubbish. There wasn't a point to it even, he just said words. Videogames are not movies. What a revelation. Shitty pictures and poorly sequenced cutscene-quotes to cover up the breaks in continuity. And the complete LACK of mic control: sometimes too quiet, at other clipping horribly. A general obnoxiousness.

I actually can't find anything good to say about this shite.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
brownstudies said:
Nimzar said:
As much as this is entirely your choice - and I'm not so much addressing you as I'm addressing everyone who have made similar comments - I don't think it's very fair to dismiss anything like this on first watch. All shows grow and find their own styles, that's evident from watching early episodes of pretty much any show or webcomic. It may take a while for this one to find it's feet.
Apparently it tried to find its feet. On Destructoid. Maybe that failed, so now it's on The Escapist? Aren't they competing websites anyway? o_O