Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
katsumoto03 said:
Because I needed another reason to hate Mondays...
I feel like I have to agree with you here. Yeah he had good points BUT they have been around since games started being somewhat taken seriously. I don't think the f-bombs helped at all with delivering his point and were just thrown in there for the hell of it.

If he gets some better questions and gets better at these shows I will watch it but if it stays the way it is now DEFINITELY a MISS.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Woodsey said:
As in, you're putting him on a pedestal when he failed. I mean, his writing ability isn't anywhere near the top of what other games have.
Eh, I don't quite see how I said that, but fair enough. I intended it to be more of a jab at his ego, but whatever.

"Is it that hard to imagine that Heavy Rain, whether or not it's a good or bad, successful in it's vision or not, also does this?"

Should we hold up Daikatana as an awesome experience because that's what the creator's vision for it was?
I didn't say anything about the creator's vision, and I'm pretty sure I said "successful in its vision or not".

There are many things we can learn from Daikatana, and I'm thankful of its existence based on how epically its marketing failed. Something we can take from anything.

GloatingSwine said:
Quite frankly, yes. And I don't mean that all games should strive to be open world complete freedom types, but that games should not compromise the fact that they are games to try and emulate films. Which, shock motherfucking horror, was the point of this video.
Eh, this video wasn't much to my liking. It was rambly, didn't have a single main point among the ramble (as I said earlier, he said "stop giving a fuck what Ebert says" when that is a completely different topic (games as art)), and pretty unprofessional. But anyway...

I get what you're saying, and I do agree with it to a point. But I also think that games should experiment and innovate in areas where we wouldn't expect them. Whether that's trying to emulate movies in certain areas, or imposing various rhetorical devices in their scripts (and somehow into the environment), I really don't care. It's just one aspect of many.

There are other, better ways to blend narrative into games that do not sacrifice interactivity. The interrupt actions in Mass Effect 2, for instance, allow you to control cutscenes to better impose your version of Shepard onto the universe. The scene in Metal Gear Solid where Gray Fox is trapped against a wall by Metal Gear and although you can line up a shot Snake refuses to fire and kill Gray Fox along with Liquid, but you still have to pull the trigger.
And those are great examples of interactivity and narrative. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fusing narrative and interactivity (I think Shadow of the Collosus does it phenomenally well, there's a lot of stuff in the environment that you can easily overlook), I just don't think it must be the only way.

That kind of interactivity with a narrative is what games can do that other media can't, and they do it without sacrificing the rest of the game.
And it's still one aspect of it. It's just one side of a spectrum. At least that's how I see it.

If you pare the interaction down to the absolute minimum as in Heavy Rain and it's predecessors in the interactive movie sphere (because no, it's not innovative, the old Blade Runner game did branching narrative and was still more of a game. This stuff has been done before, it didn't catch on because it turns out it's not very good), you've lost all of what makes games worthwhile and interesting, and all you've done is made a crap movie with multiple endings.
Yes Heavy Rain is innovative, its branching narrative is much more extensive than the Blade Runner game I'm sure.

And anyway, I think we're focusing a bit too specifically on the narrative aspect of it. Other aspects of Heavy Rain, like the darker themes (fatherhood, how far you'd go to save someone you love, drugs, etc...) show off what topics games can touch upon. It doesn't go too deep into those subjects, but I think it does them well enough (key word: well enough, not good, just okay). Whether it was successful in its message(s) to you or not I don't think matters as it still touches on those issues and it because of it, I suppose.

I dunno, I just think we can learn from anything, good or bad. Personally, I enjoyed Heavy Rain, though David Cage and his enormous ego can be a handful to say the least.

There's another reason why I'm glad Heavy Rain exists; If it didn't, many people wouldn't be motivated to prove how shit it is and one up Cage :D

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
brah you need to get a green screen up in that background, maybe put some graphics behind you... just a suggestion, but okay show for what it seems

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
so... yeah... about that.

Videogames aren't movies. Cool, good point. So why does it sound like you're having an argument with a school yard chum rather than an intellectual discussion with a peer?

Not to mention he sounded winded from his rant. If you've got a lot to say, you ought to make sure you've got the lungs to say it first. If you can't say it, then write it.

Overall impression: decent points but needs work on delivery. Needs polishing.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Bit of needless swearing there, I'm not against a fuck or shit here and there, but after a while that just gets grating. Otherwise, just fine.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Oh, and lose the damn sunglasses.. At least Yahtzee has some class with his fedora.

It's like The Escapist has started contradicting themselves.. "Let's bring in Extra Creditz for intellectual discussion on video games, with Yahtzee on the other side of the fence with hilarious, bitter reviews of video games... Now let's bring some guy from another website with a known controversial history (I've honestly never heard of him and wish I didn't now) and let him basically abuse EVERYTHING about the other shows."

Extra Creditz completely loses their following thanks to the brutal insanity of this guy.. As Yahtzee prepares his epic pimp-slap to show him who the REAL British guy on The Escapist is.

CAN YA STEP TO THIS, BRO?

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
I'm looking forward to seeing his rants on things I hate, but god help him if he hates what I like. >.>

WarCorrespondent

Sep 27, 2010
While I like new things, there 2 things I want from this movie if I'm gonna watch it regularly:

1- At one point Jim says "movies" in stead of "games" or something. Around halfway mark. The lack of polish here kind've killed it for me. Also the fact that a small fast-cut (like how Youtubers cut to the next sentence quickly) could've actually fixed it without much work.

2- I think you should ALWAYS use moving media when you're making a reference mid-video, because the MS-paint images also ruined the experience for me. ALTHOUGH the credits image did have it's charm!

Because when I watch these videos, my head starts to kill itself if it sees something that I, myself could've made. Then I start thinking about why I wasn't asked to get paid to do this and yadda yadda.

Other than that, I'll see you next week

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I started my career in Hollywood and transitioned into the industry of games, I'll agree video games are not movies and movies are not video games.

Then after that first point, I couldn't even suffer through half the verbal stupidity that followed.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
That music in the background while he is talking has to go. I thought it was something else on my computer for a minute and couldn't figure it out. It's just loud enough to be annoyingly distracting and I couldn't make it through the whole video because of it, I'm sorry.

From what I did see though, it shows promise, but there needs to be something other than him standing there talking with a few cartoony pop-ups. If that changed later in the video I apologize, but like I said I couldn't get through it with the music and him at the same time.

Borigrad

Oct 5, 2010
wow i actually gotta make my first post to say this, that was just flat out annoying. At least hearing Jesters of the Moon made me smile for a second.

P.S. Can you go back to making ENN instead of promoting this garbage?

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Although he makes good points, I don't really like this new series. A british guy... Rambling on and on... About certain video games... And certain traits that aren't very good in video games... Who doesn't really like movies.

How does the Escapist come up with these ideas?

In all seriousness, keep trying. It took extra credits a few episodes to really net me.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I get the feeling that this guy is just more of the same, with less. I'd much rather listen to Moviebob rant, because he isn't self-centered enough to force me to look at his face the whole time. And I like Yahtzee not only because of his accent and love for vulgarity, but for the interesting graphics he uses to portray his ideas. This Jim person doesn't have much to look at, and I feel that he suffers from it.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Oh, I should also state that I DID listen and DO understand what Jim's saying.

But it's not about making games into movies at all. It's the "popularity" aspect. Movies are popular, games are kinda niche.

What people are TRYING to say (at least the way I see it..) is they wish games were AS POPULAR as movies. The hype, the big premiere, etc. Movies are glorified with big red carpet premieres, etc, and games aren't. It's one thing I LIKE about Jimmy Fallon's Late Night. He treats game designers as if they're actors or other famous people. He WANTS to promote their games on his show. Uncharted 3 was on there, the 3DS, Gears of War 3.. Sadly, he's the only one pushing the medium forward to common people.

Like.. The last game my step-dad played was Pong as a kid. It just doesn't interest him. My mother is doing university units related to Games Design/Programming and she plays quite a few games.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Frizzle said:
That music in the background while he is talking has to go. I thought it was something else on my computer for a minute and couldn't figure it out. It's just loud enough to be annoyingly distracting and I couldn't make it through the whole video because of it, I'm sorry.

From what I did see though, it shows promise, but there needs to be something other than him standing there talking with a few cartoony pop-ups. If that changed later in the video I apologize, but like I said I couldn't get through it with the music and him at the same time.
Are you kidding? That was the ONLY good part of the video. Final Fantasy IX's Jesters of the Moon is fantastic and Nobuo Uematsu is GOD. >.<

Borigrad said:
wow i actually gotta make my first post to say this, that was just flat out annoying. At least hearing Jesters of the Moon made me smile for a second.

P.S. Can you go back to making ENN instead of promoting this garbage?
Yes, yes, and again yes. Wait... Also, yes. Welcome to insanity~ Thanks for reminding me what the theme was called too, I just said Zorn & Thorn's theme..

And yes! MOAR ENN!! >.<

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
Wow, I just watched some overweight tosser recite "movies are not videogames" for more than five minutes and insult people who try and create new and intriguing experiences for the medium. This would have been bearable if he was humorous or had a properly structured argument about the subject matter - which is an area with many point in favour for his position - rather than think he's somehow more important than everyone else and thus people should listen to him.

Not watching again this twat again, and I'd reccomend you find something that isn't painful to replace this fuck with.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
And here I thought he was going to ***** about cinematics in games instead of games trying to emulate a movie experience.

Pleasantly surprised he actually made a good point. Also, kudos for the FF IX music.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
WarCorrespondent said:
While I like new things, there 2 things I want from this movie if I'm gonna watch it regularly:

1- At one point Jim says "movies" in stead of "games" or something. Around halfway mark. The lack of polish here kind've killed it for me. Also the fact that a small fast-cut (like how Youtubers cut to the next sentence quickly) could've actually fixed it without much work.

2- I think you should ALWAYS use moving media when you're making a reference mid-video, because the MS-paint images also ruined the experience for me. ALTHOUGH the credits image did have it's charm!

Because when I watch these videos, my head starts to kill itself if it sees something that I, myself could've made. Then I start thinking about why I wasn't asked to get paid to do this and yadda yadda.

Other than that, I'll see you next week
If I remember correctly, all of the previous ones on destructoid, and I assume this one, are completely unscripted, and done in one take.