Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
MB202 said:
Well, actually, the Extra Consideration columns don't update on schedule, so maybe he just doesn't have enough material to work with for another episode yet...
Yeah, but that's what it says it is: extra. The actual show Extra Credits sticks to its schedule, just like any other show here.

This (I assume) wants to be a regular show like Zero Punctuation, Extra Credits, and Escape To The Movies. I understand that it's currently under renovation, but if the breaks in schedule start to become a habit with him, then he probably isn't ready to branch out to videos.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009

I thought I would mix it up today,the same Panty and Stocking pic for this kind of gets old after a while

This guy is ok,nothing we haven't seen before on The Escapist though,like what most people are saying,this guy seems to have a Yahtzee humor tactic,only less funny. I'll probably see this to see if it gets any better or more diverse,but for now,my not-giving-a-fuckness stands.

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
He is a fat douchebag (self proclaimed, I might add) with a terrible camera and microphone. And he's right.

I love it. Let's see more of this, Escapist.

Isaac Andoh-Kesson

Apr 27, 2011
Video games are not Movies. Who the fuck didn't know this so much so you had to ***** about it. The video games industry is fine its not going to take a hit just cos some developers want to make their games like movies, He makes the game, people decide to buy it if they like it. you decide not to spend your precious money on the games the industry takes a hit

majormaple

Sep 6, 2010
I feel like Jim will have a hard time competing with Yahtzee and Moviebob (and EC, for that matter) for relevance on the Escapist. Sure we should let him stand by himself, and I don't think that Escapist should feature only one authority on games/movies (I assume Jim is geared towards games?), but he will really need to up his...game...to offer something meaningful to Escapist viewers. Yahtzee, Moviebob and ExtraCreditz offer with each week a POLISHED episode which is consistently entertaining and insightful. The Jimquisition was underwhelming--as the comments point out, most people (on Escapist, anyways) recognise that games and movies are different mediums; if Jim wants to inform the less-informed about video games, a slick Youtube channel would be more appropriate. Moreover, his rant was not concise, insightful, nor particularly well-delivered. I don't mean to denigrate, but the likes of our Escapist heroes have set a standard that Jim does not look well-equipped to meet.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Wait...people this Video has low production values compared to what? Yahtzee? your actually maintaining that Yahtzeee has good production values? its a bunch of cartoons doing weird little things that sometimes have to do with the subject at hand...with Yahtzee doing a voice over it all...Thats not high production...

rogue_trdr

Dec 5, 2008
I couldn't even get to the end of the video, does it get any better?
Seriously I have seen more coherent and clear rants from mentally ill homeless men on a street corner. What is he trying to do? Be funny or get an actual point across because he is doing neither, he is just blowing hot air for the sake of it.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
WilliamRLBaker said:
Wait...people this Video has low production values compared to what? Yahtzee? your actually maintaining that Yahtzeee has good production values? its a bunch of cartoons doing weird little things that sometimes have to do with the subject at hand...with Yahtzee doing a voice over it all...Thats not high production...
Yes, Sure.
But he does them all by himself (apparently anyways)
And what i think people mean with production values on yahtzee is that his reviews are actually meaningful and polished before being released.

LordofPurple

Oct 4, 2010
"Let gaming's biggest douchebag explain to you how games aren't films, films aren't games, and David Cage will never be a moviemaker."

The term "biggest douchebag" further points out that this man is trying far to hard to have the same appeal we find in other angry people (kinda like Yahtzee or House), but the difference between them and him is that they show some kind of personality other than "FUCK I SAY FUCK A LOT." He's gonna need to spice it up a bit if he still wants people to be interested.
"Fuck" and trying to become a caricature are not the way to be entertaining if supported by nothing else.

Chrysocollus

Wandering Umbrella Fiend
Sep 7, 2009
You know, after watching this, I wasn't totally impressed either; not the classiest thing I've ever seen, and neither was it clever to at least make up for it's lack of class. And he does kind of (totally) seem like he's trying to rip off Yahtzee or at least have the same kind of niche appeal.

But the man does have a personality to him. It's just not...evident in the video here. I hopped on his channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/DTOID#g/c/4C68FCCCD3E13304) that a poster before me was kind enough to link to, and picked the video with the most views. That happened to be a rant on people complaining about decent games coming out on the Wii (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_KSAQBxFlo). And while comparing graphical elitism to racism is not cool (no really, it isn't, not even on the same scale), I think he made some good points about the entire argument and got me to think about it in a new way. So as long as he sticks to things that aren't blatantly obvious to his audience (hey gamers, games =/= movies!) and avoids being stupidly crude (MS paint penis drawings, racism and graphics elitism) I think he has potential.

Course that's only based off two videos. And he is kinda annoying at times. xD And he goes on a bit too long with his points...past the point where you're going...yeah I get it, thanks. But he does have the capacity for original and thought-provoking points.

So um...yeah. Let's get another week of it. I've seen what this guy can do. Let's get something good.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
The first Escapist video I actually felt the need to turn off half way through. I'm sorry guys, but this guy isn't insightful or amusing, just obnoxious... really obnoxious. And a jerk, and... yeah... don't like this guy.

I like that you're trying new shows though, hope you find something awesome.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
This segment needs a hell of a lot of work.

Unfocused delivery. Central idea doesn't come about until halfway through the rant. Central question never addressed-Videogames aren't movies-OK please demonstrate or at least address how, if a videogame is telling a story, the narrative structure-used since fucking Homer-ought to be subverted/changed/is inapplicable or can be integrated in ways heretofore unseen. Ideas started and left unfinished.

Sorry, but if you want me to pay attention, you'll have to do more than just rant like a teenager. I can get that walking downtown.

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
I think he misjudged the demographic of the site. "Hmm, science, gaming and general well thought out topical discussions? What this site really needs is A FAT MAN YELLING AT A CAMERA! GENIUS!"

cyrogeist said:
MercurySteam said:
Mr. Peabody said:
HEY MOVIEBOB! YOUR DAD'S HERE! HE WANTS TO MAKE AMENDS!
What the fuck was that?
i agree
What the fuck was that?
I'll just go ahead and third that.
What the fuck WAS that?

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Prof.Beany said:
I think he misjudged the demographic of the site. "Hmm, science, gaming and general well thought out topical discussions? What this site really needs is A FAT MAN YELLING AT A CAMERA! GENIUS!"

cyrogeist said:
MercurySteam said:
Mr. Peabody said:
What the fuck was that?
i agree
What the fuck was that?
What the fuck WAS that?
Probably someone who disagrees with Moviebob's opinions. Unfortunately that reply was childish and tasteless and made him look like a total idiot. It's funny how stupid people have trouble expressing themselves, so they find that they need to insult other people to make themselves feel better about their own insecurities.

That's my theory anyway.

evilstonermonkey

Oct 26, 2009
Prof.Beany said:

cyrogeist said:
MercurySteam said:
Mr. Peabody said:
What the fuck was that?
i agree
What the fuck was that?
What the fuck WAS that?
What the fuck was that?
(I don't really care, I just felt the need to say fuck so I could be cool like Jim. Yay! I'm fucking with friends! Wait...)

I'll admit I'm mildly disappointed that their wasn't a second vid. I really, REALLY didn't like the first one but I would've liked to have seen if he could take the criticism under his wing, improve his product and try again. Still, I don't exactly feel like the lack of a second clip has left a hole in my life.

Gameonicon

Apr 21, 2011
"I don't think we will ever grow this industry and help it evolve..." Sorry what? Does he really believe that he is a part of the "video games industry"? Has he ever played any part in the development of a video game? I mean I play games and I have an opinion too but does this make me a part of the game industry?