Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

webby

Sep 13, 2010
MB202 said:
brinvixen said:
MB202 said:
So... Isn't this supposed to be updated on Mondays?
I was thinking the same thing! Does the lack of new video mean no more from the Jimquisition then? (honestly though, I can't say I'm too disappointed...)
Well, actually, the Extra Consideration columns don't update on schedule, so maybe he just doesn't have enough material to work with for another episode yet...
Really though?? If his plan is to do random rants then I honestly could get through one of these a day without too much effort. If it's answering questions I'm sure he got a few dozen that are worth discussing so say it takes a day to sort through the list of questions it's still a weekend task. I'm aware he will have other things to do (probably), but if you're being paid to produce something on a certain day "not having enough material" is not an acceptable reason for not hitting your deadline.

Also, Extra Consideration is something that people from this site do in addition to their other duties, I see it as more them doing an extra service than anything and since it's apparently done via email delays are inevitable. When you're not keeping up with your main task for the site you're not doing your job, simple as.

Maybe he has a good reason though, what do I know??

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
I'm going to comment as I watch so I can coherently take notes.
-Okay, that background music is a BIT irritating...
-Dude, rehearse first. I stumble less ad-libbing and I have a stutter.
-Heavy Rain was a poor target, being labelled as an interactive film as opposed to a game. I'd have gone after Metal Gear Solid or Xenosaga personally.
-You start calm and collected, but degrade into frantic rambling. Losing points here and I'm not even to the halfway mark.
-There's a good way to use the word "fuck" and a bad way. Using it in every other sentence is the bad way and makes you sound like a twit who forgot his lines.
-There's only a tiny window in which you can insult the audience before you stop sounding ironic and/or joking. You broke that window and ran.
-We GET that games aren't played on celluloid and movies are rarely seen on cartriges. Get off it.
FINAL NOTE: I agree with your facts and points, the only reason I don't like the review is, well, you. People on this forum compare you to Yahtzee. Bull. The only thing you have in common is the accent. He has superior delivery, actual wit, and the ability to keep a constaant and coherent tone throughout a review. But even worse than that, ANGRY JOE has better delivery, and Angry Joe literally just sounds like an average Joe to me if you forgive the pun. You're a first time submitter though, and you have time to improve. Make note, however, that if this is going to be your style from here on, I pity you, and if I could afford a decent camera and mic I would personally be making reviews myself.

Reishadowen

Mar 18, 2011
I agree with your point, that video games are not movies, should stop being compared to them, and hardcore gamers who are getting so riled about about that old lunatic Ebert need to calm down and treat him the way they would an internet troll. Ignore him. Feeding him hate only gives him strength.

Though...do you have to use such lewd and disgusting images like MS-painted cocks? That's just....really creepy...and if more of that kind of stuff gets thrown into your future stuff, I probably wouldn't watch it no matter what it featured.

tunderball

Jul 10, 2010
After my first attempt I've finally bothered to sit down and watch this the whole way through. Not my cup of tea, it's like an awesome show but without the hilarity of Zero Punctuation, the intelligence of Extra Credits and the insightfullness of Movie Bob and theres not a great deal left except from a self proclaimed 'douchebag' shouting a pretty obvious point down a camera for five minutes. Yeah the production values aren't very high but I honestly wouldn't have minded as long as what the guy was saying was in anyway clever.

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
WesternGamer said:
I'd listen to Jim's stuff any day over Movie Bob. That guy is a complete waste of space for the human race.
Bob may spew bullshit like a septic tank that someone just threw eighty pounds of dynamite in, but he has an excellent voice for an all audio show, a sense of creativity (if not the skills for it), and a true understanding of the film-making process.

This Jim guy is just a fat foghorn.

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
Cheeesus said:
Looks like no more of this series...

at least I hope to god that's the case.
He delayed a week to boost his production values :D
Expect Avatar-level special effects for his next outing on Monday :)

Magnesium360

FDA Approved!
Mar 9, 2010
Cavouku said:
Alright, first off, I wanna' say, I like this guy's character, or at least, it's fun to watch.

But he doesn't belong in front of a screen like that, holding his microphone, preaching to the choir. He needs to be this kind of reckless, crazy person that's throwing eggs at big development buildings, and demanding an interview with their CEOs while the police take him away.

He needs to go and poll the populous, hold a press rally, and have a little towel to wipe his brow, like Louis Armstrong, just because that works with him.

I want to see this guy outside, getting in people's faces. Because this is the right man to do it.
You mean doing some Moore-esque stuff but about gaming? That would be... That would be epic actually.

DjembeTheBard

Sep 13, 2010
I find it worrying the amount of support this "contributor" is getting. I mean, I'm all for giving the new guy a chance and all that jazz; but the new guy is kind of expected to be, you know...not shit.

Like a few people have already said, we get our fill of people ranting really fast already. And they do it a lot better than this guy. His video is boring to watch (fat guy, white wall...yeah, what else you got?),his voice is grating (I'm not ragging on the Brits, just him), and his subject- this week, at any rate- is dead and buried.
The last point I could deal with: I mean, the internet is just one big free love-in for literary necrophilia, after all; but what I can't deal with is how he delivers the argument, and that is by being a complete twat.
Note to Jim here: just because you acknowledge you're a twat, it does not justify or help us to ignore the fact that you are nonetheless a twat.
Between Extra Credits, ZP and MovieBob, I normally think the Escapist has a pretty good content standard. This video makes me rethink my opinion.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
Magnesium360 said:
Cavouku said:
Alright, first off, I wanna' say, I like this guy's character, or at least, it's fun to watch.

But he doesn't belong in front of a screen like that, holding his microphone, preaching to the choir. He needs to be this kind of reckless, crazy person that's throwing eggs at big development buildings, and demanding an interview with their CEOs while the police take him away.

He needs to go and poll the populous, hold a press rally, and have a little towel to wipe his brow, like Louis Armstrong, just because that works with him.

I want to see this guy outside, getting in people's faces. Because this is the right man to do it.
You mean doing some Moore-esque stuff but about gaming? That would be... That would be epic actually.
See, it'd work, because it wouldn't be serious or anything, right? It's a comedy show, practically a parody. But it wouldn't try and show itself as one, you as the viewer gotta fill it in.

You listening, Jim? Take a shot with it, make it your own!

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Ughhhh he is tedious to watch and the background music sucks, I don't need someone to make videos about things I already know about games.

Hey,if everybody can like him then I can dislike him.

wagglelance

Oct 3, 2010
Well, I Like the points you make, and the feel of the start of the show. However when the show actual starts to get to it's meat and potatoes, it loses me. The character is okay, better then most that I have seen on the net when it comes to shows similar to yours. But the main thing that loses me is the audio. You have to get that fixed. Turn your levels down a little bit and it will help you get a crisper sound. Maybe a little de crackle as well.
Now with that out of the way. You might be a good fit for the escapist but you might not be. I think your more suited for TGWTG. It just seems your style fits there a bit better and probably would draw you a bigger crowd seeing how your format is and all. On the flip side I like the contrast of your videos to this site. Adjust your audio and I look foreword to seeing more.