Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Alright, Jim's on this site now. This episode quite nicely expands on points that were touched on before, but I think he does so quite well. Jim did make a couple audio flubs, though, such as: "Hideo Kojima is the Steven Spielberg of film." I recommend that Jim be a little more careful in the future.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
You're like an odd mix of Smithy from Gavin & Stacey and Bulk from Power Rangers. Either way it's nice to see another Brit doing something here. I want to see this man in a threeway debate between himself, Yahtzee and Moviebob. Throw him in the deep end. The Extra Credits crew can host and commentate and we'll all sit back with the corn of popping.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
There seemed to be a lot of dicks around this video.

Also, I liked it, though perhaps an introduction may have been better to start off. Just half a minute might've been nice.

Calumon: I like his glasses. :3

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
He makes a good point but the show doesn't look very inviting. It's just very simple and stark with a guy in front of a wall. That's perfectly fine for getting the message acrost and can work as a show but I find it kind of off-putting when combine with a personality that rubs me the wrong way a bit.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
What the hell? I don't need a rambling rant about video games not being movies. I already knew that.

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
I think this would work better as an article.

He makes some very good points and conveys his ideas quite well, but it was slow, lacked much appeal outside of his argument and overall was pretty bland. I'd personally prefer to read what he has to say instead.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
The content of the video? Good, if not anything at all new to The Escapist. As much as I love the intelligent discussion of videogames and welcome new faces to The Escapist it would be great if they at least brought something new with them.

The video itself? Meh.. sorry, but it's just terrible. There's a reason why Yahtzee, MovieBob, the EC crew, etc. don't just stand in front of a video camera recording themselves for their video segment each week.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Eh. He made good points, but this just wasn't as entertaining as Extra Credits or Movie Bob. I'll keep watching though, coz it looks like it might get better.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
Welcome Jim! I hope this turns into a long and healthy relationship between you and The Escapist. As for the commenters...*runs to fallout shelter*

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Good points, horrible presentation. I don't want some self-righteous internet persona getting on top of a soapbox, turning on his webcam, and yelling at me for 6 minutes while standing still. Terribly preachy and driven by an unlikable host. I've seen better on youtube.

I have to go watch some Ashens to get this guy out of my head.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
Alright, first off, I wanna' say, I like this guy's character, or at least, it's fun to watch.

But he doesn't belong in front of a screen like that, holding his microphone, preaching to the choir. He needs to be this kind of reckless, crazy person that's throwing eggs at big development buildings, and demanding an interview with their CEOs while the police take him away.

He needs to go and poll the populous, hold a press rally, and have a little towel to wipe his brow, like Louis Armstrong, just because that works with him.

I want to see this guy outside, getting in people's faces. Because this is the right man to do it.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
Ugh. I detest Jim Sterling's style and delivery, but;

1. My preferences do not matter a damn if everyone else disagrees; and,
2. He's right.

My only gripe would be this: He should have brought up the developers doing it right. You can't bring up this topic and not discuss Clint Hocking, or Jason Rohrer. These guys have been eloquent voices for making games their own art form.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Meh, it was ok I guess. I will decide whether I like him or not after a few more episodes.

Also, I thought he was supposed to answer user-submitted questions? :S

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
Have to agree with some of the others here, your points are fine, but I feel an article would be equally effective in this situation. Also it'd help to begin delving into certain ideas and examples of video games using their unique features for artistic expression. Otherwise a great listen, so I'll continue to follow, even if you just feed us what we've already and wanted to hear.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Maybe for the next video, try actually making some points. The entire video was just "games aren't films" repeated over and over. Well, aside from the fact that most people can pretty much figure that out on their own, how about illuminating how they're different, and how certain approaches to films don't work in games, and why they don't. Because as it is, this episode wasn't funny in the slightest, and didn't make a single interesting point that added to the whole video games v films discussion. It's neither here nor there.

Yahtzee does troll humour ten times better and Extra credits does insightful commentary ten times better, so right now this show seems pointless.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Games are not films and films are not games, yeah, what else is new? I`ll wait till he has something interesting to say.