Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

SFMB

May 13, 2009
I hope this guy ups his ante. Lately Escapists new weekly entries have been quite dull, save Extra Credits, which is quite awesome and well done. Jim doesn't add anything new to the roster...

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
I... what?

... well, obviously, I just... what?

It would have been an interesting article, if a kind of obvious one, but the video felt sloppy, like a YouTube rant. Splicing in random clips doesn't make it entertaining enough to watch.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
TheSkaAssassin said:
o...k...

I don't get it. Why do we need more videos people rambling into a microphone and calling it "commentary"? We have Yahtzee, Movie Bob (twice a week), and Extra Credits.
Well.. Maybe because more is better? Because people want something to chose from or even *grasp* watch it all.

webby

Sep 13, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
Yay, a yahtzee and a movie bob hibred. cause that wont be troll feed.

Anyway, this one didnt impress me, but I dont like the argument. I'll have to wait and see with the next vid.
I thought the same thing if I'm honest.

On to the video though... Hideo Kojima is the Steven Spielberg of films you say?? Then what is Steven Spielberg the Steven Spielberg of? Think you meant games there. I'm done randomly nit picking, onto the more important stuff.

Iron Lightning said:
Jim did make a couple audio flubs, though, such as: "Hideo Kojima is the Steven Spielberg of film." I recommend that Jim be a little more careful in the future.
Damn ninjas...

This seemed like a rant that anyone with any insight into gaming could have made. The fact that Nintendo started as a toy/card company is well known and you simply spend more time saying that everyone is stupid for wanting games to be like films as opposed to explaining how games could go in their own story telling direction. You basically ranted on for 6 of my precious life minutes calling me an idiot for an ideology that I don't share. Assuming it wasn't aimed at me then and you've just spent 6 of my precious life minutes telling me things I already know only in a patronising and condescending manner.

Swear less, flesh out ideas, stop repeating the same basic concept using different words, improve editing and talk about things that people may not know about and you may become worth watching.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Maybe I missed something, what where his points? I mean his original point that are new and not 5 years old and I already knew? Because basically all I heard was a slurred English accent cussing about fucking films and games for 5 fucking minutes. Games aren't fucking film, fuck.

That is not a new or original point, and a waste of an intro video.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Good lord, that was awful. I would give up my Silent Hill collection to see Yahtzee physically spank this man. He stumbled over his words, pretended to be angry so poorly it made me sad, and the glasses look like a completely transparent attempt at creating a signature "look."

I'm not usually the person to be snotty about these types of things, but I've come to expect a certain level of quality from Escapist shows, and GOOD GOD THAT WAS TERRIBLE. I even AGREE with him and I hated the show.

You know what? Scratch that. I want to see Lisa Foiles hit him with the Irritating Stick. This guy takes himself WAY too seriously. I will give this show another episode to be fair, but that was truly awful.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Hmm. Ok, I'm on board.
The only problem with that video was it seemed a little too long, ended up repeating himself a bit, but good points well made. Let's see what happens when he gets some questions to tackle.

Matthew Wilson

Apr 27, 2010
Don't know what to think at the moment, he seemed a little condescending to begin with but about half-way through that changed. He does seem a bit too much like Yahtzee and that will probably hold him back here. Also his first video does seem like an easy topic to cover but as a first effort, not bad.

I'll wait until future videos before I judge him.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Interesting note, you said that hojeo ko- however you spell his name was called the steven spielberg of movies. Wouldn't that make more sense to say he's called the steven spielberg of games?

capin Rob

Apr 2, 2010
Pretty good for a first episode, but if he wants longevity on this site he will need to diversify his topics of choice, I've heard the Video game movie argument on thee Escapist before. But overall I'm happy with this. He Could tone down the rage a bit.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Also why is it cool for the video to have crudely drawn penises in them, but a poster gets banned for that? I'm not saying I want to be able to post crudely drawn pictures of penises. I am say I don't want see any while hearing about the finer points of the artistic medium of games.

foriamthefool

Jun 7, 2010
id say meh at best IMO

topics been kinda beat to death

and at least in my mind when they say say "more like film" its about the prestige factor more then any thing cuz you talk to some one about a story in a game a lot of people are just gunna pifft it with out taking a look or if they take a look its almost a "awwww look what hes trying to do" *pats developer on the head* sorta deal..

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Brainst0rm said:
So...it's entertaining because he says "fuck" a lot?

'Cause, otherwise, I feel like I've missed the joke.
lol yeah my thoughts exactly. I mean he has some interesting points I guess... but no more interesting then the general populace on this website.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
It's kind of a shame that the point you are making was already clear after five seconds. Or, well, simply after reading the title and thinking about it for a few seconds, since it's bloody obvious. The video was okay, for someone who is saying the exact same thing for five minutes.

If you want to remain interesting though, you'll need some better topics, and some better thoughts about those topics. This might sound elitist, but the Escapist has been spamming us with in depth content for years now, so simply stating something provocating is not going to be enough.

..At least, for everyone who doesn't just watch Zero Punctuation. But that's still 10% of the whole community!

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I probably won't make many friends with this statement. Why does everyone on this site have to ramble about how "video games are art"? I'm not saying they aren't, I'm just really, really, tired of hearing it.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Sorry but not a fan, a guy standing in front of a wall with a mic and random MS paint art is something I'd expect on the lower tiers of thatguywiththeglasses and not the quality of stuff on the escapist.