Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

webby

Sep 13, 2010
vivster said:
i smell a new entry to extra consideration
I truly hope not. Nothing was said here that about 95% of the escapist population couldn't have said given a microphone and some aviators. In fact, I have aviators so just give me a microphone and a paycheck and I will crack one of these out as regularly as you like. Hell, 2 a day seems plausible.

May 5, 2010
Kinda felt like he was just stating the obvious. I mean, he didn't say anything that hasn't been said a million times already by Yatzee, Extra Credits, or Moviebob. Kind of like how what I just said has already been said by about a million other viewers.

Also: Tommy Wissau's dick? Kind of unnecessary. And hypocritical of the Escapist, since I was once but on probation for using the phrase "my wang". Fun fact.

ALSO: Jimquisistion is an absolutely TERRIBLE name. It's impossible to say without awkwardness.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Not really sure what the show's supposed to be about. I mean in general. Is he going for an Extra Credits-esque commentary? He doesn't really have the charisma to pull off a video show. I'll give it a few more weeks to get focused, but i'm not terribly impressed.

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
Hmmm... Jim's monologue went on for too long and my attention span has its limits. (I hated the monologue in Apocalypse Now)
He also made some mistakes. "Hideo Kojima is being called the Spielberg of films" Shouldn't that be 'of games'?

But as I started to stare into the screen out of boredom, without blinking my eyesight became blury. And them Jim looked like a big fly with those glasses! That cranked me up!

He has talent, the movies just need more effects/funny pictures and less "chubby guy in glasses doing a monologue".

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Glad to see Jim Sterling doing more than a column here now. Hopefully, this is weekly show.

I do agree with his statements concerning Heavy Rain and the fuss about "movie-like experiences" in games. Not all films are good, and trying to sell a game as one, much less banking on it, is a huge mistake.

The same can be said of developers who say that their games are like films. Films have next to no involvement by the audience, outside of discussing the plot of the next sequel. However, if you give us an interactive experience that surpass films of a similar caliber, why not lean on that a bit? Show that games are better than films in their own ways?

May 5, 2010
Radoh said:
Alright, there was way too much genitalia in this.
I'm glad someone else thought that. I thought it might have been my American Squeamishness acting up.

I really hope you aren't American, too.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Wow.......And people around here call MovieBob a pretentious, opinionated dickhead?

Try and say something New and, in any way, interesting without sounding like a pretentious badass-wannabe, and maybe I'll watch after the second episode....

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Well, this one came out of nowhere. The show could be interesting. It seemed like Yahtzee suddenly got fatter and put himself on camera reading Extra Punctuation. The guy did fumble a couple of lines, so he should work on that. He did make some good points though. Overall, decent first effort. It will be interesting to see where the series goes from here.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
I can't stand Sterling's approach.
I do agree that David Cage is an affront to self-respecting game designers everywhere, and I do agree with the fundamental point of interactivity and cinema being two entirely disparate media.
But I can't stand Sterling's approach.

It's trite, it's exhausting, and due to the sheer hyperbole of the delivery, I find myself rejecting what arguments are presented.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
There was, um, slightly more cock in this video than I was prepared to see.

Also, he didn't really say anything that Yahtzee hadn't been saying in a more coherent way for the last three years, did he?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:
Wow.......And people around here call MovieBob a pretentious, opinionated dickhead?
What, do people not call Yahtzee the exact same thing either?

Nov 5, 2007
Not that I disagree with the point being made but... god damnit Jim Sterling. I left Destructoid and never looked back after Anthony Burch left because there wasn't anything for me left there and I absolutely hate Sterling's attitude (whether I agree with him or not). I don't really see him fitting the "escapist" style but whatever. I guess I will just ignore it.

Damn.

Serving UpSmiles

Aug 4, 2010
Cavouku said:
Alright, first off, I wanna' say, I like this guy's character, or at least, it's fun to watch.

But he doesn't belong in front of a screen like that, holding his microphone, preaching to the choir. He needs to be this kind of reckless, crazy person that's throwing eggs at big development buildings, and demanding an interview with their CEOs while the police take him away.

He needs to go and poll the populous, hold a press rally, and have a little towel to wipe his brow, like Louis Armstrong, just because that works with him.

I want to see this guy outside, getting in people's faces. Because this is the right man to do it.
Exactly, i can fully imagine this person asking random people on the street what they think of the games industry and what it can achive, hilarious and intrigueing

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Kinda preaching to the choir weren't ya now, fella?

Did the Escapist just fish up some random video from Youtube or what? It's a little too late for April Fools, people!

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
webby said:
vivster said:
i smell a new entry to extra consideration
I truly hope not. Nothing was said here that about 95% of the escapist population couldn't have said given a microphone and some aviators. In fact, I have aviators so just give me a microphone and a paycheck and I will crack one of these out as regularly as you like. Hell, 2 a day seems plausible.
just because his first rant was rather generic doesn't mean he hasn't some good ideas about other stuff
i'm looking forward to see more of him

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
What, do people not call Yahtzee the exact same thing either?
They call him "opinianated", yes (and rightly so). But he's neither pretentious nor a dickhead.....well not to viewers who aren't Developers, Publishers or Fanboys anyway....

madriani

Jul 16, 2009
He should do something to make the videos more visually appealing. An interesting backdrop would be nice.
Other than that, I think he could do well on this site.