Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Radoh said:
Alright, there was way too much genitalia in this.
I'm glad someone else thought that. I thought it might have been my American Squeamishness acting up.

I really hope you aren't American, too.
I don't think that it matters if I'm an American or not, I just want to hear intelligent conversation, with as little nudity as possible, is that too much to ask for?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Is it considered gauche to respond to your own feedback here? I don't know. Ah well. Too late now.

Thank you all for the feedback thus far, even the negative stuff. It's obviously important to hear why you suck from people who will properly explain it to you. Having isolated the key criticisms, I will address them:

1) Obviousness of subject: Not every episode is going to be something hotly contested. Sometimes it's just stuff that pissed me off and hopefully people can feel cathartic in hearing it voiced by someone else. That said, future episodes will have more debatable and touchy topics to discuss, so it won't just be a fat man stating the obvious.

2) The visual presentation: One of the reasons I went with having me on the camera is the very fact that we have shows like Extra Credits and Zero Punctuation. I don't want to look like those. Future episodes will strive for more cut-away content and I will be getting better lighting up in this business as soon as I can. I'll be working hard to make it both different and interesting.

3) That line flub: Dunno how I let that slide. No, that was shit on my part.

ZeroAE

Jun 7, 2010
I agree with you Jim.
Movies are not "superior" to games or vice-versa because you cant compare them. They are totally different , one is a 2 hours video and the other one is a 10 hours game in which you can play with your friends.
Seriously , why compare them?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Interesting video, but do we really need yet another guy going off on a tangent and yelling from their pedestal? Because we've already got three [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation] of [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits] those [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies].

While this is probably the guy's style, I don't really see how it helps anyone. It's ramble-y, doesn't really have a main point (at the end when he said "Stop giving a fuck what Ebert says", I couldn't help but think "We're not talking about 'games as art' though"), and it is literally just a guy standing on his pedestal. We've got plenty of that on YouTube (and enough here).

Overall, while I agree with some points that the video made (games should try to elevate themselves above other mediums), I don't really see the point behind it all. All he has said in this video was "stop trying to be movies", he doesn't go into depth about how they are trying to be movies, why they are trying to emulate movies, and what can be done to stop them from copying movies. You don't have to address all of those questions at once, but as it all the guy said was "Stop being movies, it's detrimental to everything!" and it never goes beyond that.

Calling yourself "Gaming's biggest douchebag" doesn't go well for your image. All it shows is that you want to make noise, and you want to make a lot of noise. It makes it look like you're just another pretentious douchebag who thinks he is right about everything instead of willing to discuss and develop concepts and ideas further.

And it is just a guy on his pedestal. He's just as pretentious as David Cage is, as far as I'm concerned.

Still, it's an interesting video. Could turn up something worthwhile, but I'm a little skeptical of it. I'll give it a few more episodes before deciding. At least it'll give me something to do on Mondays.

EDIT: Added some stuff, god I love the edit button.

Ukanef

Jul 5, 2009
Oh crap... The reason I don't go to Destructoid is now on The Escapist... I really don't like this.
He is an opinionated dick but without the wit of Yahtzee nor the knowledge of MovieBob he just comes across as an angry spoiled brat. Yes, games are not movies, I thought The Escapist had a higher level of content than this.
Extra Credits, Yahtzee and MovieBob is miles ahead of this guy. Anthony Burch also, shame he left dtoid.
Anyway, thats one show I won't be following. Hope it crashes or gets (a whooooole lot) better.

May 5, 2010
Radoh said:
Radoh said:
I'm glad someone else thought that. I thought it might have been my American Squeamishness acting up.

I don't think that it matters if I'm an American or not, I just want to hear intelligent conversation, with as little nudity as possible, is that too much to ask for?
Um, you know I was agreeing with you, right?

justforkix

Sep 2, 2009
Where's the "don't like" button? The idea was alright, but the content was meh ... and the delivery was terrible. Definitely not one to stand up next to the likes of Yatzee, the Extra Punctuation team, MovieBob, Lisa ... hell even the Daily Drop.

Jim, if you're going to force your opinion on the world, stick to print. Oh and swearing is a poor substitute for wit and a well thought out argument.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Brainst0rm said:
So...it's entertaining because he says "fuck" a lot?

'Cause, otherwise, I feel like I've missed the joke.
What joke?

OT: He's right. He also seems to be on cocaine, but he's right.

Especially about David Cage; that man is such an egotistical twat.

It might work better if he did videos in the style of Movie Bob (I'm aware of the irony given the subject), since:

a) Bob hasn't got a clue what he's talking about when he's let on to games ("no one wants to use a PC for gaming when they can buy 20 devices for £3000+, all with lesser functionality! That's the Big Picture!")

b) It feels rushed like this, and like I said, he seems to be on cocaine, which is a little unnerving to watch

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Damn it. It's hard enough avoiding Jim's articles on Destructoid.

I'm not saying that (some of) his points are not valid or true, but the manner in which they are presented is like a child would on Xbox LIVE, complete with the attitude.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Radoh said:
Radoh said:

Um, you know I was agreeing with you, right?
Yeah I know you were, I'm just qualifying my stance on it is all. It doesn't seem necessary or even really warranted to have that kind of stuff in the video.

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
yeah no. Just because games aren't movies (duh, chairs aren't bicicles either, why don't you make a video about that?) doesn't mean there aren't any parallels between them.

Why all the ranting about heavy rain? It was an experiment trying to combine two different media, what's so bad about that?

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
I don't think I've ever seen anyone on this site with less charisma.
The fact he seems to have some sort of fetish for Paint'd penises makes matters worse.

The fact he spoke for five minutes when the title more or less summed up everything everyone already knew in under a second was quite amazing though.

Here's a little snippet where I definitely disagree though, game stories are inferior to film stories.
As an example I've only really played one game that dealt with the emotion of war in a good manner, and it did it using mostly cutscenes, which most people can agree is the worst way of telling the story.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
FFIX! =D

But yeah, I was worried this guy would just be a jerkalurk with how the title described him. I was proven wrong! And I wish he had went on about Heavy Rain a bit more. God forbid that game ever became a movie exactly the same way the game made the plot.

"Heavy Holes" is what it'd be called.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Did anyone else feel like the guy didn't seem comfortable in front of the camera? It was the way he was standing, holding that microphone - made him look uneasy.

He also repeated himself a lot and seemed to choose a fairly easy subject for his first video here. Could have been better.

I'll watch the next episode anyway but I hope it gets a lot better and more focused.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Well i found that kinda dull he didnt really seem to go anywhere with it.Just him going on about the same part of the arguement way too many times and the delivery at some points was hard to watch.

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
This guy has potential but I was not impressed with this episode. First of all this guy needs to edit/pace himself. Often he is stuttering and saying um um um, not good when trying to present. Also what the heck with the random Microsoft paint pictures? Seems unnecessary and just thrown in. Finally, this guy isn't interesting to watch. He just stands there waving his hand. He is wearing sunglasses so you can't see him make eye contact. It is very boring to watch. I felt the topic and such was good it was just really boring to watch and I can see it getting old very quickly. This show needs a lot of polish. In my opinion ;)

Rafe

Apr 18, 2009
Yay Jim's here! Now I don't need to go to destructoid as much.

I've enjoyed your work since I found your Deadly Premonition review, hope to see more here. I've been a fan of Jimquisition for a while too so the only feedback I can give is that I enjoy it.