Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Finally a GOOD video series on this site. I hate most of the videos here (Yahtzee and EC in particular) but thank God someone realized that Sterling is honest in what he says (unlike the other British guy that bitches for the sake of views) and gave him a slot here.

Matt8Bit

Aug 11, 2009
Not a very original theme, but well put. Would like a little more engagement than just a guy wearing some glasses in-front of a wall...if that's part of the charm, i missed it completely.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Woodsey said:
LiquidGrape said:
Woodsey said:
[...] David Cage; that man is such an egotistical twat.
At this year's GDC, Cage held a presentation called "Creating an Emotional Rollercoaster in Heavy Rain". He proceeded to dismiss the entire history of the medium by reducing virtually every game preceeding Heavy Rain to a collection of ten verbs.
Jump, run, shoot, roll and six others he didn't seem interested in specifying.

Yes, Cage is delusional dick.
Mind you, people treat Heavy Rain like its the go-to game for wonderful writing, so at least he does get it from somewhere, no matter how retarded that somewhere might be.
Honestly, while I do like David Cage, even I admit that he can be a pretentious twat once in a while. I like to think that you need a little bit of pretentiousness to move any medium forward, and few developers are as passionate (or loud) as Cage about trying to move this medium forward. Still, he never really knows when to shut his mouth or what should come out of it.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Slangeveld said:
O.0 Intriguing person. Uh. And yes, video games aren't movies/otherwayaround.

Was this rant inspired solely by Heavy Rain? :O
Given how much Jim rags on Heavy Rain, it would hardly be surprising.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
An overweight british guy in front of a white background holding a mic...

Yeah...

This wasn't funny (as moviebob and yahtzee tend to be) nor was it particulary smart (as Extra Credits tends to be), and the points he made have already been done (and better) by many people on the Escapist not so long ago... and the throwback to Ebert at the end, by now that's practically ancient history.

Not impressed at all. Guess we'll see if it picks up next week.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
I needn't say much more then I agree hole-heartedly.
Also I think the new guy is a keeper ; ).

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Not as funny as Yahtzee or the Unskippable guys, not as insightful as James Portnow or MovieBob, and the presentation style is godawful.

I will be giving this one a miss. And why does Extra Consideration keep getting posted so late?

Lissa-QUON

Jun 22, 2009
So...uh. Okay.

I really didn't like the presentation of this. I watched it for a few minutes or so and decided to move on to another tab leaving the audio on. So I missed...badly drawn penises apparently. I DID happen to catch a glimpse of the bad MS Paint work. As an artist I am neither impressed or amused by bad MS Paint. You could probably find someone to draw decent graphics for you cheaply if need be.

But anyway, ramble aside I definitely don't feel like I missed anything by ignoring the visual aspect of this. I agree with folks that this could be an article or a pod cast rather than a video. You COULD probably polish this up to be a good video but right now as is, not feeling it.

Also I found the choice of topic rather odd one to bolt out of the starting gate with. The whole Ebert, games and movies debate is something that seems rather old news now.

Just my brief two cents, it is the first video so I'm going to keep an eye out and see if this gets better.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Brainst0rm said:
So...it's entertaining because he says "fuck" a lot?

'Cause, otherwise, I feel like I've missed the joke.
Don't worry about it, there wasn't a joke to miss.

OT:I don't think the fact that games are inherently different to films means that they can't take inspiration from film. For instance, films make incredible use of visuals.

dante brevity

Apr 15, 2009
On first blush, I'm not a fan. Why did this need to be a video, instead of an article? Did the visuals add anything to the ideas he was putting across? C- at best.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Watching a pasty and abrasive douche-bag from what is categorically & demonstrably the biggest cesspool of misogyny in the gaming sphere making self-evident points without the least bit of eloquence, grace or manners? Not my idea of a good time. And who the fuck wears sunglasses inside? Honestly, The Escapist should not support this man.

Jim Sterling said:
That says films has better stories. Look at some of the films out there; that ain't fucking true most of the time.
Yes it is, unfortunately.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Jumplion said:
Woodsey said:
LiquidGrape said:
Woodsey said:
[...] David Cage; that man is such an egotistical twat.
At this year's GDC, Cage held a presentation called "Creating an Emotional Rollercoaster in Heavy Rain". He proceeded to dismiss the entire history of the medium by reducing virtually every game preceeding Heavy Rain to a collection of ten verbs.
Jump, run, shoot, roll and six others he didn't seem interested in specifying.

Yes, Cage is delusional dick.
Mind you, people treat Heavy Rain like its the go-to game for wonderful writing, so at least he does get it from somewhere, no matter how retarded that somewhere might be.
Honestly, while I do like David Cage, even I admit that he can be a pretentious twat once in a while. I like to think that you need a little bit of pretentiousness to move any medium forward, and few developers are as passionate (or loud) as Cage about trying to move this medium forward. Still, he never really knows when to shut his mouth or what should come out of it.
But he's not moving it forward - if he was then yes, I might stomach him a bit more.

As for him being passionate about it, I'm pretty sure I've heard him actively shun the idea of being called a game developer. He wants to be a film writer/director, and his lack of talent means he never got to do that.

Its just a shame that we put him on a pedestal.

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
You have got to be kidding me. After gaining a significant level of justified backlash for his absolutely inane "Casual Gamers are Better Than You" article, you guys went and gave him a show? Not only that, but a show that uses the same style as The Big Picture with inferior execution? Sorry, but this is a horrible mistake. You have gaming commentary down to a perfect little trifecta with Extra Credits, Zero Punctuation, and MovieBob/Big Picture. This guy will only detract from your site.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I agree that games need to find their own voice, but we'd be crazy to throw out everything learned from over a century of film-making. We can't ignore basic cinematic techniques just because we're worried about seeming inferior. I agree that we need games that embrace the inherent interactivity of the medium and focus on player agency in ways that films (as a passive medium) cannot. But I also believe that games that tell stories in a cinematic fashion have an important place as well. I think we'd be throwing the baby out with the bathwater if we reject those methods in an foolhardy bid for "purity" in game storytelling.

Also, this video makes me wonder if all I need to get featured on a site like this is a British-y accent. I didn't watch the video, only listened, but he basically sounded like the average tl;dr forum post. MovieBob brings his knowledge of films and comics to the table and Yahtzee is funny and critical in ways we don't always expect (with fun videos to boot). I have to wonder what this guy brings to the table. I suppose time will tell.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
No.

Just no. I started out by going "wtf...?" at the intro bit, and slowly falling asleep as he began talking. By the time it was 1 minute in I was literally about to faceplant into my keyboard. AND I HAVE A CUP OF COFFEE NEXT TO ME I'VE BEEN DRINKING. There is absolutely no humor here, and any points of value he DOES touch on, he barely does so, and are points that have already been covered by better, more talented people.

There was absolutely no leadup, and the content was so painful I couldn't sit through the whole thing. I was extremely skeptical just by looking at the title, but my rule is to give everything on this site a chance. If this thing improves over time, fantastic, but I simply won't be returning to it.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
ALSO: Jimquisistion is an absolutely TERRIBLE name. It's impossible to say without awkwardness.
It's inquisition, as in in the Spanish inquisition, but replace the 'n' with an 'm', and start with a 'J'...

It's a terrible play on words, but it's not difficult to say.

ChibiKaji

Feb 5, 2011
I enjoyed it but I do agree that you could try and make it a little more visually interesting.