Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
The people saying that Sterling's point is too obvious to make a video about clearly didn't notice the path that the videogame industry has been threading in the last decade.

The drawings were completely unnecessary.

Jikuu

Mar 3, 2010
Up front, I gotta say that the glasses make me think of Tony Clifton.

Like a lot of other folks here, it does feel that the visual direction of the movie can be lacking. However, I can see the appeal of it being a movie rather than a written article. His current style suggests, at least to me, stand up comedy. So perhaps the visuals of the movie could be tailored towards that direction for some zest? I can understand not wanting to be yet another Escapist animation or slideshow movie.

I've also never heard of this fellow before, so I don't have any ideas going into this one (although I will watch his other stuff later). The argument is sound if a bit slow in its arrival. Maybe it's just me, but I felt like the nerdrage over videogames not being movies or not being art died out after Ebert apologized. I don't think many here would argue with Jim about his statement. A is not B. It's a good tautology.

So I'm going to leave neutral. Thanks, Jim, and good luck with the new venue!

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
I like this guy.

Also, I wonder how many people didn't know who Bertolt Brecht was and then googled him?

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
interesting.
I feel that you need a desk and a boom mic. maybe a better presentation.

rickvhoeij

Feb 8, 2011
Not to be rude, but I rather see The Big Picture then this. My reasons why are as following. At least get some decent audio going on. The music and the bad mic makes it hard to listen to. And the subject of this episode has been done to death. Just my two cents.

emusega

Jan 17, 2011
The first impression is that he says what had been said already (e.g. by moviebob) in a denser and more interesting way. It appears that he tries ranting like yathzee, which might explain the britishy accent (I'm no accent expert).
He also chose an issue which is known to hurt the little feelings of so many insecure gamers ;)

But oh well, I also didn't like Lisa at first, but I'm watchin her now. I'll give him a few more tries. He didn't blow my brain like zp, extra credits or the big picture did, though.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Ukanef said:
katsumoto03 said:
Because I needed another reason to hate Mondays...
You Sir, were 30 times better than this video :D
Seconded. I will be the 100th or so person to point out that this guy is a new, non-established loudmouth on a soapbox, preaching to an imaginary choir, while there are other, already-established loudmouths on taller soapboxes with several gospels written by and for them.
...I really should stop posting late at night, I sound wasted.

May 5, 2010
Draconalis said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
ALSO: Jimquisistion is an absolutely TERRIBLE name. It's impossible to say without awkwardness.
It's inquisition, as in in the Spanish inquisition, but replace the 'n' with an 'm', and start with a 'J'...

It's a terrible play on words, but it's not difficult to say.
I....know that?

I just think the 'M' and the 'Q' right next to each other is really awkward.

I got the play on words. That's not my problem with it.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Jim is a badass. Since he is now here he has knocked off ZP as my sole reason for coming to this site (Other then the community.) Can't wait for more.

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
Brainst0rm said:
So...it's entertaining because he says "fuck" a lot?

'Cause, otherwise, I feel like I've missed the joke.
I'm sort of in the same boat. I don't get what was supposed to be interesting about him. He didn't say anything that I haven't read/heard/seen somewhere else before.

My only thought during this whole thing was "ok, he's clearly supposed to be kind of a jerk, but he's not likable in any way." And I still feel that way.

I'm sure he's probably got fans, but I'll probably be skipping Jimqusitions from now on.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
... Ugh. The best thing about this show is the background music.

He has some valid points there, but this gig would probably work better as an article; That way he could avoid making me want to pull my own teeth out.

kiltmanfortywo

Jul 14, 2008
I watched it, but to be frank I wish I hadn't. He didn't really hash out anything MovieBob hasn't said, he just went on the same point, "movies/games are different", and swore a lot when he did it.

When the tag line for a new segment is "industry's biggest douchebag", I don't think you are trying to entertain or inform, just going for shock value.

I will not be watching this series and sincerely hope that the Escapist chooses to not run it anymore.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
emusega said:
The first impression is that he says what had been said already (e.g. by moviebob) in a denser and more interesting way. It appears that he tries ranting like yathzee, which might explain the britishy accent (I'm no accent expert).
He also chose an issue which is known to hurt the little feelings of so many insecure gamers ;)

But oh well, I also didn't like Lisa at first, but I'm watchin her now. I'll give him a few more tries. He didn't blow my brain like zp, extra credits or the big picture did, though.
Umm....the accent might possibly be explained by the fact that he was born in the uk and moved to America. Not that hard to figure out how someone could possibly have an accent.

BaconPunch

Mar 24, 2011
Well to be perfectly honest it seems a bit pointless when put next to Extra Credits.
That sounds a lot more horrible than I meant.
I am aware that he will improve, it's only his first video and I probably will be checking back. He seems to be definately will become awesome and it's not like he's making the site worse, unlike... SOME... shows that I could mention.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
He's not moving the medium forward though, he's moving it backwards by removing freedom of interaction. Heavy Rain is just an animated equivalent to a Visual Novel, not a game in any real sense of the word.
Heavy Rain is just a different style of game, nothing more nothing less. I am sick of people going "It's a movie/visual novel/one long QTE" because it's still a game. I has its shining moments and its faults, but it is a game no matter how you skew it. There are certainly some things that can be taken from Heavy Rain that can benefit gaming, like how you don't need to have a gritty space marine with a "mature" story to sell, you can have a darker, more adult game with a mature story. Whether or not it succeeds to you personally is beside the point.

Gaming does not only evolve by "removing the boundaries" or giving more interaction to the world. That is merely one aspect of the evolution of games. If you genuinely think that (which I'm pretty sure you don't), then you're more restricting to the medium than Cage is.

Sorry if I'm sounding hostile, I'm just sick of the same talk that I see about Heavy Rain and Cage.

David Cage needs to be picked up by a snatch squad in the middle of the night and taken to the secret facility where the hideous mutated thing that used to be Chris Roberts' career is kept, so he can understand the consequences of diving into the "I am a repressed movie maker honest" pit.
Or just duct tape his mouth, throw him in a room for a few hours, and let him realize that for himself :D

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Aah. Okay. I see what you mean. I'll admit, when I first saw this title, I thought it was just going to be a rant about cutscenes or saying Heavy Rain is just a movie you have to press buttons to watch (which is to me like saying old-school adventure games are just cartoons you have to click the screen or enter text to watch, but I digress) but once I watched the video I understood your point completely.

The game industry isn't going to progress at all if it tries to be more like Hollywood and become a part of that industry. I mean, look at what the mess that is Hollywood as done to film as a whole - studio mandated, focus group oriented, lowest common denominator garbage.

Gaming emulating film =/= innovation. I'll agree with what I think Yahtzee said in that the most original, novel and innovative games I've played recently have been iPad games (as well as some indie XBLA games). The story telling in these games is as far away from film as you can possibly get, but I would say these seemingly inconsequential games by their very existence have contributed more to the growth and evolution of gaming as a whole than any triple A title released in the same period, simply because they're doing something different. They are something different. And this is a very good thing.