Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I dont really like this new show...I guess I would call it a show. Even though he makes some excellent points I found him unentertaining. Perhaps the biggest problem was the excessive swearing which didnt add anything and in fact made him more bland for me. I know its hard to do in a sort of ironic/witty way like Yahtzee does it but it seems like he could have done something with it or left it out entirely.

Another issue was it just seemed like he was stating opinion and those who disagreed with him be damned. For example when he said video games and movies have developed completely differently I sat there continuing to listen to the rant and waiting for him to quanitify his opinion with the word because

So for me, I had a bland guy standing in front of me talking about a subject I already know and somewhat agree with that was giving us nothing except crudely drawn guy with his pants around his knees and video of him humping a stuffed animal. Those were really just "WTF am I watching?" moments. There was no humor, no educational value, nothing to even back up his claims

As is, Im not a fan but Ill check out the next one to see if anythings changed. If not then I just wont watch from then on. To those that did like it, hey more power to you. Im glad you found a show you like, its just not for me

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
Cavouku said:
Alright, first off, I wanna' say, I like this guy's character, or at least, it's fun to watch.

But he doesn't belong in front of a screen like that, holding his microphone, preaching to the choir. He needs to be this kind of reckless, crazy person that's throwing eggs at big development buildings, and demanding an interview with their CEOs while the police take him away.

He needs to go and poll the populous, hold a press rally, and have a little towel to wipe his brow, like Louis Armstrong, just because that works with him.

I want to see this guy outside, getting in people's faces. Because this is the right man to do it.
second'd. As an in-yo-face reporter down on the streets, he could really do an awesome show.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
On one hand, I do frequent Destructoid and I do enjoy the video-content on that site because this style of game commentary is common; the way articles are presented and the general community suits it nicely. It's a good site, for the most part, and it's fantastic because it's style of presentation and the way it interacts with the audience is so different to The Escapist.

On the other I don't think this style of video suits The Escapist particularly well; at the end of the day, however the content is presented, it's still another soap-box show explaining often condensing points about games to the very people whom already hold an opinion on that area and will then argue about it in the comments. It's another show in which the content creator deliberately speaks down to his audience in an attempt to garner additional, often flame-like arguments - it's another MovieBob essentially. Except Jim Sterling understands and is much more knowledgeable regarding video-games than Bob will ever be.

If the content is more analytical than previous Jimquisition's found on Destructoid [often the videos themselves are hilarious, but, much like this video - the core points made are few and far between] then I'm sure it'll be worth watching, even if they tend to be very inconsistent in their level of quality; but as it stands the content is to rant-like without the comedy to back it up, and the points made to condensing and lacking strong supporting arguments to really appeal to me.

Still it is nice to see The Escapist gathering new content that isn't mediocre.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
TheSkaAssassin said:
o...k...

I don't get it. Why do we need more videos people rambling into a microphone and calling it "commentary"? We have Yahtzee, Movie Bob (twice a week), and Extra Credits.
Pretty much exactly what I wanted to say - who is this guy and why should I be interested in his rants?!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
That was pretty good. Liked the music more than anything to be honest but mainly because I've heard about Kojima being confused about his job (ie: game maker not film director) and, Heavy Rain...well, simply negative things about Heavy Rain...It just seemed like a weak start. Then again, many great shows have had worse starts.

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
What's the point of making a video if he just stands there. This could've been an audio file, like ZP or even better; an article. Him standing in front of a camera wearing a pair of hideous glasses and flapping his left hand about doesn't add any value whatsoever.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Jumplion said:
Heavy Rain is just a different style of game, nothing more nothing less. I am sick of people going "It's a movie/visual novel/one long QTE" because it's still a game.
It isn't, however a very good one. It's not a type of game which moves the industry forward, it's a new Phantasmagoria, a shitty interactive movie that trades on this "mature" narrative but doesn't actually make a compelling play experience. And that is why it fails, it doesn't do what games do, it just retreads old mistakes that most of the rest of the industry grew out of along with digitised video.

Gaming does not only evolve by "removing the boundaries" or giving more interaction to the world. That is merely one aspect of the evolution of games. If you genuinely think that (which I'm pretty sure you don't), then you're more restricting to the medium than Cage is.
Interactivity is the thing which seperates games from other media, it's the one thing that games can do that nothing else can. When you take that interactivity out you destroy what made the medium worth a damn in the first place.

Heavy Rain might have a "mature" narrative, but as a game it isn't worth World 1-1 of Super Mario Bros.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Personally, it just feels like The Escapist is trying to tap into the "troll dollar" with this show.

He's obviously just flamebaiting us. Which is funny because The Escapist recently went on some mad quest to make everyone behave nicely to each other. (Unless you have a camera, then you can be a big elitist prick as much as you like it seems)

Whether you agree with them or not you'll have watched the show and made them money, and it feels that's all they care about with this show.

Ca3zar416

Sep 8, 2010
His voice irritated me to the point I couldn't continue watching. The recording device quality is probably part way to blame but still it was hard to listen to.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Cavouku said:
Alright, first off, I wanna' say, I like this guy's character, or at least, it's fun to watch.

But he doesn't belong in front of a screen like that, holding his microphone, preaching to the choir. He needs to be this kind of reckless, crazy person that's throwing eggs at big development buildings, and demanding an interview with their CEOs while the police take him away.

He needs to go and poll the populous, hold a press rally, and have a little towel to wipe his brow, like Louis Armstrong, just because that works with him.

I want to see this guy outside, getting in people's faces. Because this is the right man to do it.
My god man that's brilliant! Then he could be like the illigitimate love child of Yahtzee and Michael Moore! As is he already seems to be the illigitimate love child of Yahtzee and Movie Bob. Ugh. The schtick is already there, you can find your way to the escapist by following the collumns of smoke left by the f-bomb abuse, do we seriously need another foul mouthed, opinionated critic??

I think this slot is already filled and this topic been hashed out on this site ALmost as much as "what is your opinion on morality systems" or "you've been caught doing something embarassing and sexual what do you do now?" Welcome one and all to Camp Schtick! Clown suits and cleavage to follow....

Purplecoyote

Feb 10, 2010
Good lord this was annoying to listen to/look at. I agree with the handful of people in this thread suggesting that this would have been better as an article, with less swearing, because swearing a lot doesn't automatically make you funny or convincing. Now to sit and look foreward to Extra Credits and Zero Punctuation later this week.