Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Jimothy Sterling said:
Is it considered gauche to respond to your own feedback here? I don't know. Ah well. Too late now.

Thank you all for the feedback thus far, even the negative stuff. It's obviously important to hear why you suck from people who will properly explain it to you. Having isolated the key criticisms, I will address them:

1) Obviousness of subject: Not every episode is going to be something hotly contested. Sometimes it's just stuff that pissed me off and hopefully people can feel cathartic in hearing it voiced by someone else. That said, future episodes will have more debatable and touchy topics to discuss, so it won't just be a fat man stating the obvious.

2) The visual presentation: One of the reasons I went with having me on the camera is the very fact that we have shows like Extra Credits and Zero Punctuation. I don't want to look like those. Future episodes will strive for more cut-away content and I will be getting better lighting up in this business as soon as I can. I'll be working hard to make it both different and interesting.

3) That line flub: Dunno how I let that slide. No, that was shit on my part.
If what I've seen so far is indicative of your attitude, then screw whatevers gauche. It's always nice to see the creators of these things get into the trenches and respond to our high and mighty commentary once and awhile. Now here's some high and mighty commentary. ;) I can't say you've made a good first impression on me, but you've addressed that in part one and two of your response. Someone in this thread posted your video on Bulletstorm and it got my attention much better. I look forward to more

As much as I love the insight from the extra credits crew and moviebob and the like, it's refreshing to see someone willing to take gaming off of it's pedestal once in awhile and remind us of the game part of our beloved media. I think we should treat games with respect as the view of them starts to mature, but sometimes things just get flat out silly. Kudos to you for playing the devils advocate in that aspect.

If I have only one complaint redundant though it may be, I hope your future videos have a little less penis in them. Like none. Personally I drive a school bus for a living and sometimes I watch these videos on my iPad on the bus while I load up, and while the headphones can keep my students from having their delicate ears melted from the NSFW language, I'd hate to lose my job because the kindergartener behind me told his parents about your latest ms paint masterpiece. Honestly I didn't even think that was kosher on this site (even Yahtzee blurs out his dick jokes)

All that aside... Welcome to the Escapist.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
I'm definitely not sold on this. 5 min and 40 sec spent on repeating the title of the video is not a promising start at all, especially seeing as the first video ought to display some of, if not the full range/potential of the series. I can't really imagine I'll bother to follow this guy at all.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
He sounds like Ricky Gervais, but he's as funny as cancer. The unfunny kind.

I quit about a couple minutes in when it became evident that he's not very smart either.

Ris

Mar 31, 2011
I liked it... in the sense that I already dislike him, but that's the point, right?

Maybe it needs more scripting/editing, though. I felt like his point could have been made in four minutes, and probably would have been funnier for it. Also there were some errors that should have been caught ("Hideo Kojima is the Steven Spielberg of film").

I completely disagree with those saying that he's just another Yahtzee (seriously, you can't lump the two together on such a weak basis as them both being sardonic and British. I'm a Brit; if I followed that line of thinking and dismissed all "wisecracking American" reviewers as the same, I would be skipping 80% of reviews on the internet). This guy has a very distinct style. Hopefully that will become more apparent to everyone as time goes on.

VenusInFurs

Nov 27, 2010
Thank you for sending me words I've already read, and guess what? I find nothing wrong. I guess I'm a misogynist too and I guess I treat every girl I dated with disrespect. Again, you prove nothing.

VenusInFurs

Nov 27, 2010
JackSparrowSucks said:
VenusInFurs said:
JackSparrowSucks said:
VenusInFurs said:
JackSparrowSucks said:
VenusInFurs said:
JackSparrowSucks said:
VenusInFurs said:
Hello, I came here over from Destructoid to support Jim, if it wasn't for that, I would have never step foot inside this elitist camp filled with nonsensical ramblings about a writer who has more talent then the pretentious Movie Bob or the tiring Yahtzee. Really, I wasn't going to leave a comment, but strolling down one page on this very comment section reminds me why I left The Escapist and never looked back.
Yeah, high standards suck.
No, wait, I meant:
hi-standerds suk.

Exactly, elitism rules this site. Disgusting.
Yeah, elitism does rule this site with an iron fist of snob; but we're not pretentious, we're not overbearing, we're not obnoxious; it's not like this elitism is detrimental. We don't look down on other gaming sites (I look down on Joystiq, though; those commenters are stupid-retarded, man.) and snob or circle jerk. We're actually all very debasing of the site, if you look close enough.

Thank you for sending me words I've already read, and guess what? I find nothing wrong. I guess I'm a misogynist too and I guess I treat every girl I dated with disrespect. Again, you prove nothing.
I don't want Jim "DA MISOGYNIST FROM WESTERN EUROPE, NIGGA" Sterling to go on here because of the people it'll attract. Moviebob's weird cult movie-show attract weird cult movie watchers, Yahtzee attracts people who hate everything about gaming today; what would this show attract?
The few Destructoid commenters that like him?
No, the type of disrespectful people who are like Jim.

Even if you like Jim, you can (YES, YOU CAN) come up with 2 volumes of criticism. Did I mention his misogyny yet?
You used the words "cult movie" and "Movie Bob" in the same sentence, psh, save me the romantics - he reviews nothing but mainstream movies.

If you think Jim is a misogynist, then I feel sorry you, you completely don't "get" him. Maybe if you get off your high horse then things will change, but I don't find that likely.
VenusInFurs said:
Oh, no, he usually likes the movies EVERYONE HATES and have a huge "cult appeal". He LOVED Suckerpunch, apparently. He also LOOOOOVED "Paul" despite that it was hugely ignored.

HE ISN'T A MISOGYNIST? REALLY? HOW NOT, YOU CRAZY PERSON FROM OUTER SPACE?
Hahaha, really? Please, enlighten me! What has he done/said that make him an misogynist. I know plenty of - women- who would gladly disagree with you. Jeez, what planet do you live on?
http://gamersareembarrassing.wordpress.com/ (Just chock full of his wackiness.)
http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=4298
http://www.destructoid.com/defending-virtual-rape-not-the-same-as-condoning-it-143025.phtml

Yeah, you get the drift.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
Venereus said:
oneshotfinchy said:
Christ, some of you won't even give Jim a second chance. Maybe Jim should have had blond hair, a short skirt and a top 5 list to gain your instant approval.
(not hating on Lisa Foiles, just trying to make a point)
You forgot Poland! And the boobs, and the fact that she's a blonde no longer.
... and the fact that her videos are good.
(By which I mean that they're fun, occasionally innovative, and quite often give me tips about games I didn't know about...)

theshadavid

Nerrrrrrrd
Aug 10, 2009
This is the WORST thing I have ever watched in my two years as a member here. This guy does come off as intelligent OR funny, so why would I want to watch a plain douchebag rant on about something we all agree about for 5 minutes? Give him the axe escapist.

Slick Samurai

Jul 3, 2009
Good points, pretty much why I don't watch Extra Credits anymore, they're trying to call gamers to arms to get the medium to be more like movies.

However, the execution did come across as a bit sloppy, the video itself was a bit boring but I appreciate he didn't go for yet another slideshow supplement.

webby

Sep 13, 2010
oneshotfinchy said:
Christ, some of you won't even give Jim a second chance. Maybe Jim should have had blond hair, a short skirt and a top 5 list to gain your instant approval.

(not hating on Lisa Foiles, just trying to make a point)
Lisa Foiles got taken apart after her first few videos so I'm not sure what you're getting at. The ban hammer came down hard on a lot of people due to the abuse she got.

People have different tastes, this show doesn't look like it's going to be for me since it's not a "new" show so there will be no growth (or not as much as is needed to make me like it). I gave "I hit it with my axe" a few weeks though sd I will give this the same chance, who knows, it might impress me.

VenusInFurs said:
Jim isn't a nobody. He's rather popular. Jeez, do you guys live under a rock?
His popularity has nothing to do with the quality of his videos from a strictly subjective stand point. Different audiences, different expectations, different senses of humour, they will all lead to different opinions. Claim it as elitism if you must, but it's a sweeping generalisation just as me claiming that everyone who enjoys his videos is a Ritalin addicted 12 year old who only plays CoD.

Although this does have a hint of playing death metal at a spice girls concert and expecting people to mosh...

VenusInFurs

Nov 27, 2010
JustinRodriguez said:
Dude shut the fuck up. Seriously way to try to discern video-games for trying to legitamize itself as a medium. Trying to become a movie only inhances the non-playtime aspects of a game i.e. writing, storytelling, acting. Screw you, fucking Yahtzee wannabe. I hope ZP, EC, and Movie Bob all tear you a new fat asshole.
Do you really needed to spill a response like that? Plus, your grammar is horrible.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Is it considered gauche to respond to your own feedback here? I don't know. Ah well. Too late now.

Thank you all for the feedback thus far, even the negative stuff. It's obviously important to hear why you suck from people who will properly explain it to you. Having isolated the key criticisms, I will address them:

1) Obviousness of subject: Not every episode is going to be something hotly contested. Sometimes it's just stuff that pissed me off and hopefully people can feel cathartic in hearing it voiced by someone else. That said, future episodes will have more debatable and touchy topics to discuss, so it won't just be a fat man stating the obvious.

2) The visual presentation: One of the reasons I went with having me on the camera is the very fact that we have shows like Extra Credits and Zero Punctuation. I don't want to look like those. Future episodes will strive for more cut-away content and I will be getting better lighting up in this business as soon as I can. I'll be working hard to make it both different and interesting.

3) That line flub: Dunno how I let that slide. No, that was shit on my part.
You could keep it how it has been and I'd be pleased. I've been wondering why you haven't made more of these on Destructoid lately. Welcome to the Escapist.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Another angry voice on the Escapist- I wonder if this marks the beginning of gaming going on the offensive...

Either way, I enjoyed the video a hell of a lot more than I thought I would, and I agree with everything he's said bar one- I'm not sure I'd call him a douche.

Anyway, welcome Jim!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Hmmmm. Not bad. Certainly not good, but definitely not bad either. This reminded me a lot of Charlie Brooker and David Mitchell on 10 o'Clock Live, but not funny (apart from one or two points where I did laugh out loud). Nevertheless, it was certainly interesting, and some decent points made, regardless of whether I agree as a whole (for the record, I do for the most part, though not entirely). Either way, I'll keep an open mind and watch a few more to see if it gets better (as so many other videos on here have done, such as Game Dogs, Rebecca Mayes, and Lisa Foiles). It has great potential though, I'll give him that. And who knows, I may possibly ask a few questions myself through Twitter... :D