Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
Yeah, this guy should have written this down. I don't know about you, but when I see a guy who dresses like a pimp and drinks from a goblet, I tend to get on the defensive about whatever he might say, whether he's a gamer like me or not.

Plus, isn't this like old news? Perhaps I can have more objective criticism if I were to see him tackle an issue that was slightly more current. Just sayin'.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
He's right in everything he said, but...

1. He is ranting about something everyone thought of a couple years ago.
2. His style is irritating bordering on painful.
3. He seems to be trying very hard to have a distinct, eccentric personality when really there's nothing extraordinary about him.

Didn't enjoy the episode at all, unfortunately. Though it might have gotten better but I quite 3/4s the way in, Yahtzee style.

Tom Hill

Jun 28, 2010
Hated it from the start, he irritates the hell out of me. Trying to troll where nothing is to be trolled.
Heavy rain was just a different genre of game, the point was you chose the actions of a film, games have variety they arn't all action/adventure.

I don't like that man!

Iwana Humpalot

Jan 22, 2011
OH! I know this guy! I saw him on an Epic Battle Cry (awesome gaming podcast)
I'll be looking forward for more of his stuff.
And i like how he call's himself a "gaming's biggest douchebag"... Challenge accepted

And someone give him a damn chair!

Srdjan

Mar 12, 2010
Icehearted said:
Srdjan said:
Awww, boy, I really, really hope this isn't substitution for Lisa. I don't know your preferances but I prefer nice girls to fat guys.
Really, you find a woman slathered in makeup shoving her heaving bosom at viewers more appealing than a rotund man in a suit and tie? Pardon me while I die of shock.

A better idea; what if they exchanged scripts, think his work will be any less or any more appealing when delivered by a woman using sex appeal to sell herself to viewers?

Yeah....
Let me guess you are fat and you find my post offensive?

With that voice and appearance that guy could be telling a secret to magic land of sex and chocolate and I still couldn't listen to him. And he rants about stuff on internet, everybody does that and he doesn't even have cartoons. And HE-IS-NOT-FUNNY.

If that is some humor only fat people can understand I'm sorry, but I am entitled to an opinion.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Yeah, not really feeling the vib.

I won't be watching the future. I'll stick with EC, thank you.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
So sad to watch the quality of Escapist contributors spiraling downward. Is this really the best they can find?

Kavachi

Sep 18, 2009
I really want to go consturctive critisicm, but I just can't. This show is completely terrible in my opinion, and I'll be avoiding it like the plague. It isn't really something that you can fix IMO, it's just your entire attitude, trying to be though, your entire presentation, just standing infront of a camera with weird arm gestures and ofcourse the incredibly dumb subject.

Suppemand

Nov 29, 2009
Seems like he's just being a douchebag for the sake of being a douchebag... As in, it's just an act he puts on, and not a terribly good act at that :(

Pretty borring presentation too. As many people have said already: when compared to the very proffesional presentations of Extra Credits, Yahtzee and Movie Bob this just seems amateur'ish and compared Lisa Foile's Top-5 which is probably the closest The Escapist have had so far to this show (looks-wise I mean), he falls flat on his belly too, as Lisa Foiles has much more screen-pressence, variation and humor in her show (and no, it's not just because she's cuter to look at... Even though she is ;)

I personally think it looks like some random rant from a random youtube-guy. I would have expected more from a show on The Escapist tbh, but maybe I've just been spoiled with all the great shows previously mentioned.

His points are true, though a little easy, 'cause, well, duh, YES! movies and games aren't the same, but everyone reading this site already knows that I'm sure, so we don't need someone telling us... At least not if they can't do it in an entertaining and thought-provoking way (I'm sure Extra Credits could have taken the same subject and actually made it both entertaining AND given me something to think about, but Jim just managed to make me slightly annoyed with him)

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Me no likey!

I think the whole "movie like plot" thing is more a case of "we know films and we all like films, this game has a story like a movie" rather than "the plots in games are trying to be movie plots 'cos movie plots are better".

It's trying to draw people in rather than put a ceiling on games.

He is just a guy with an opinion, let him have it ... I wonder why he gets paid for his but I don't get paid for mine?

As for the vids? Never again.

EDIT: I think he exceeded the dick joke limit, yes I am counting the cartoon man with no pants on as a dick joke.

Skywatcher

Dec 25, 2009
Interesting content, but the production value is severely lacking. I won't be tuning in again unless something can be done to stylize this in a way that doesn't scream "I did this in a janitor's closet!"

This is definitely not up to the quality level that I'm used to seeing here.

Monstrion

Apr 27, 2010
Skywatcher said:
Interesting content....
Where? He rambled 5 minutes about something that every gamer knows.

And he is just trying too hard. That is how you can tell if someone is worth your attention almost every time.

Does he entertain with clever points, jokes or presentation?
Or does he try to hide lack of thereof by props...

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Brainst0rm said:
So...it's entertaining because he says "fuck" a lot?

'Cause, otherwise, I feel like I've missed the joke.
Maybe its the accent and they are hoping to replicate Yahtzee by having a foreign accent that is very similar to a British one scream at us for five minutes?

dtthelegend

Oct 19, 2008
Jimquisition:
this show is like the Spanish Inquisition.
unexcepted upon arrival and extremely painful and tedious for all parties involved.

Not a fan.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I didn't enjoy this one bit, sorry to say. All the advertisement to it made me watch it, but seriously, this was quite boring. The content is nothing that we haven't seen before. The Big Picture and Extra Credits have been doing a good job of everything. I thought this was kinda boring. Hopefully it will pick up, or just disappear. Well, no-one's forcing me to watch it so I guess I don't care one way or the other...

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
yea... So, not even half way through and I don't like him.

Also, Mr Sterling... learn to do a video without swearing. It makes you look like a pleb. If you can't construct a viable argument or point out your overly-objective view without adding in profanities, then don't bother with the videos at all.

All in all, glad I watched this first episode. I'll know not to waste my time watching another video.