Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

SilentChief

Dec 27, 2010
Jim Sterling making stuff that isn't on destructoid? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
I completely agree with this video, and yes Heavy Rain does suck and as a writer David Cage is a hack.

Jules57

Jan 27, 2011
Ah yes the imfamous games not movies gambit, escapist right of passage perhaps,
yes we know, many people have said it, unfortunatly for this jim fellow there is already a pessimistic Brit on the escapist, who has already ripped on final fantasy over its "over zealous" cinimatics, that being said Do not approve

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Wow, it's like, if you own a camera and have internet connection, your opinion is suddenly more important than that of the other 6 billion people on earth and thus you must make a video in which you express your thoughts on various topis so that the mindless masses will not explode while pondering these issues because they forgot to breathe.

DeaDRabbiT

Sep 25, 2010
Pr1mus said:
ArBeater said:
Games being superior to movies?

ha! Don't make me laugh. The only genre that video games have conquered is action. I can't really see games (at least games in the next decade) overtaking the quality of films. Unfortunately, I feel it will be the interactive element of games that will forever hold them back.
I don't know man, some horror games scare me more than any "horror" movie could.

PS: I can't stand Jim Sterling. He's an insincere asshole that tries to hard. He's like that super nerd that you can't even have a conversation with, because he is so self-righteous and KNOWS EVERYTHING, that simply discussing topics you don't have 100% intimate knowledge of will lead to a public mockery of you, and your hobbies.

neohampster

May 1, 2011
Seriously, this guy is...annoying and downright wrong. No Jim YOU are the reason video games won't be accepted as a legitimate medium. You fail to realize that most movies started out as poorly developed smuck without colors or even sound that was basically just mindless comedy for people to pop in and watch some guy with a stupid mustache and hat get almost hit by 20 pies before falling down some stairs comically. That's not much of a better start in my opinion I mean the first movie wasn't a masterpiece just as the first games. I find it also exceptionally stupid that you say something like "movies aren't games" then continue on to compare them yourself, games AREN'T movies just like movies aren't PAINTINGS but that doesn't mean both cant be accepted as legitimate art forms. Yes games are games, tools of entertainment, but why can't they also be an art form? Why must they just be the toys of children? I can answer that with one quaint little example, and that example is you my friend, you short sighted fool with nothing new to add and nothing interesting to garner, please god go away and if the Escapist has ANY quality control (assuming you didn't bribe someone of course) they will cancel your show and make you go away because I for one will not be watching your mindless schlock any further.
P.S. I actually MADE an account for the sole purpose of saying this, it pissed me off SO much I felt myself physically FORCED to create this account and voice this opinion (however mirrored and already said) for fear that if I didn't the world would just end, right here, divide by 0 level destruction. Have a nice day you douchebag and please PLEASE do not come back!

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
neohampster said:
Seriously, this guy is...annoying and downright wrong. No Jim YOU are the reason video games won't be accepted as a legitimate medium. You fail to realize that most movies started out as poorly developed smuck without colors or even sound that was basically just mindless comedy for people to pop in and watch some guy with a stupid mustache and hat get almost hit by 20 pies before falling down some stairs comically. That's not much of a better start in my opinion.
You realise at the time these films were being produced, so too were films like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919). So that was a major generalization . So I think the development of games have been somewhat similar, maybe in another handful of years we'll see some fantastic stuff.

Jack Cheal

Aug 25, 2010
one word to summarise this: meh
his points don't seem valid enough, all forms of art have been judged in comparison to the form that came previous, hell that's why something is called an "art" because everything was originally judged in comparison to pretty pictures, its the reason the word "maestro" is synonymous with highly skilled artists and musicians, and the fact we are being compared to an art form is surely a good point? rather than just being labelled kids toys, hell if we care how good our games look we're comparing them to art, and if we care how well the games sound we compare them to music.
aside from that the points he DOES make are nothing major, and they seem to get jumbled a bit, up to a point where i didnt fully understand what the guy was talking about, the video itself is very lackluster, the jokes fall flat, and when your entire arsenal is just pictures of dicks and being condescending thats a difficult feat to pull off.
overall, it just doesn't appeal to me, especially when there is extra credits putting up much more important points in a more entertaining format, and if i want a brit with dick jokes I'll go to yahtzee, who again, more entertaining because he brings up points that are quite valid, and sometimes quite original.
basically what I'm saying is I probably won't be watching this, unless his points get a bit more interesting, and he starts becoming more entertaining than the background music.
also yes, "the steven spielberg of films", well done on the proof-reading.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
Why is this guy still here? I'm glad they didn't make another but can we at least take him off the movies page?

Archany

Jun 16, 2010
didn't love it, I just don't think he's presenting it in a very good way, he's awkward and delivers weird, if it were an article or if he just covered it up with animation like Yahtzee I might like it better, but right now it's just meh

xFullmetalx

Feb 17, 2011
Not bad, a well put together argument and I can see where he's coming from. However I do feel he completely neglects that people don't think videogames are movies, they think they share similarities, which is completely true. I can see he is going to be very 'hit or miss' with people, I enjoyed the video nonetheless.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I've got to be honest, I didn't like this.
He made good points yes, but it was essentially just the same point over and over again told in different ways. It's also very uninteresting to just sit and watch a man in front of a camera for five minutes, juxtaposed with the occassional penis joke.
Extra Credits does serious game commentary better than Jim, and Yahtzee delivers better game humour than Jim, from what I've seen anyway.
Not wishing to insult the guy but honestly, I'm not impressed.

But hey it is just the first episode, maybe it'll pick up.

mananomas131

Feb 19, 2009
Don't disagree with him.
But entirely uninteresting. I'll check back in a few episodes. Maybe on a more interesting topic.
Also, ugh, "fuck fuck fuck fuck cufk kfuc" I'm not even really against swearing, but there's such a thing as "too crufking much". By then end of the episode, the word barely meant anything anymore. Try precision F-strikes as opposed to "sentence enhancers".

Needs work on delivery and topics that haven't already been beaten to death. There HAS to be a cult following for this already, or it wouldn't be up there, but don't expect me to give you more than a second chance to keep me interested.

sincerely,
one person. Just keeping it in perspective.

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
DeaDRabbiT said:
PS: I can't stand Jim Sterling. He's an insincere asshole that tries to hard. He's like that super nerd that you can't even have a conversation with, because he is so self-righteous and KNOWS EVERYTHING, that simply discussing topics you don't have 100% intimate knowledge of will lead to a public mockery of you, and your hobbies.
You mean... he fits right in at the Escapist?

assholes... Try to hard... Super nerds... Self-rightous...
Yup, seems like the average person here at the Escapist! Oops, forgot Arrogant.

Xpgamer7

Mar 30, 2011
I don't believe either is better. Contesting that comparing the two is wrong leads to the fact that A. Marketing believes casual gamers might not pick up story intensive games without a basic understanding of the product and B. GAMES AND MOVIES ARE DIFFERENT. One art form isn't better than the other, it's preference. In a world where games are beginning to be called art and movies already are, you can't say one art is better than the other as fact.

HighestGrade

Jan 7, 2011
Some good points, even if I did feel that some of his ideas were being rammed in my face whether I liked them or not. Yeah, video games aren't movies, fair enough, but the increasing comparison between the two mediums should excite us as gamers, because it only means that the genre of games permitted to include such cinematic storyline and content to draw such comparisons are doing so successfully, even Heavy Rain.

neohampster

May 1, 2011
Mr Somewhere said:
neohampster said:
Seriously, this guy is...annoying and downright wrong. No Jim YOU are the reason video games won't be accepted as a legitimate medium. You fail to realize that most movies started out as poorly developed smuck without colors or even sound that was basically just mindless comedy for people to pop in and watch some guy with a stupid mustache and hat get almost hit by 20 pies before falling down some stairs comically. That's not much of a better start in my opinion.
You realise at the time these films were being produced, so too were films like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919). So that was a major generalization . So I think the development of games have been somewhat similar, maybe in another handful of years we'll see some fantastic stuff.
Yes I do, and I am just saying that at the time of your story devoid or story inept things like 60% of the shooters nowadays there are a few examples anyone can point to as the "exceptions" to the rule...there ALWAYS are in anything. I mean today for example, in a bland world of gunmetal gray bloomfest FPS games Portal 2 was released but the mere existence of Portal 2 doesn't excuse ALL the other horrible examples of the genre ya know?