Jimquisition: Watch Dogs - Five Collector's Editions For One Game? What? F*$%ing WHAT?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Demonchaser27 said:
You don't find it weird at all that they would make a service exactly around the time of a first pokemon game on a new gen console? They wouldn't have done this for the purpose of making trading between games easier, because that would have lost them this money you think people have to spend in order to transfer their mons between games. Except they know that two people can just use each other's DS's or 3DS's in order to trade/transfer before. It wasn't guaranteed money. Pokemon Bank is guaranteed money. For people like you who don't have anyone else (I'm not intended to insult you if this is the case) to help you, I'm sure this is great, but for those of us who had it free before (because we had friends who we could just use their DS) its a rip off. That's why they should have given us the free alternative I spoke of.
Let me stop you there. Is this an opportunity that is there for everyone? Does EVERYONE have a friend nearby that would help him/her to trade Pokemon? If I were to tell you that the answer for this was no, would you refuse to believe that? Would you refuse to believe that not EVERYONE in the world has a friend who own a 3DS and would let them borrow it? It's 5 dollars. Easily saved me money at least considering I would have to hop on the train and sit there for 7 hours just to borrow my sister's DS to do unless I cave and buy a new DS (which would actually cost less than the train ride).

You can't actually use the service to transfer mons of old games to other old games, only to transfer mons of old games forward to X and Y. That clearly was intended to replace Pal Park. As I said before its not difficult to find a friend with a DS or 3DS, hell you could even use a friend online in another country if you wanted to. If anything with the number of people playing pokemon and the sheer number of DS's and 3DS's sold, I would argue that your example of people not being able to find someone/anyone else with a DS or 3DS would be the exception to the rule.
It's not difficult. For YOU to find a friend who's got a DS/3DS. Stop applying your own experiences like that to the entire world. As earlier stated I have to travel 7 hours. I don't have the time to do that. I don't have the money to do that. I can't do that whenever I want. Do you see the problem here? As I stated, I know someone who claims homeopathy works. This person is fully aware of that every trial that has shown possible improvement compared to placebo is false, but she still believes it. You will continue to maintain the stance that your personal experience is applicable to everyone so why should I even bother to discuss this any further?

However you keep insisting that this is a replacement of Pal Park and I want to question that as the last thing. How is this a replacement of Pal Park? Pal Park was only present in one game and only because this was the only game where the opportunity was there. A GBA cartridge and a DS cartridge on the same system. The unique opportunity to have 2 cartridges at the same time. That's the only reason it could be done. That is why it's not present in Black/White. You know what Black/White have? They have Poke Transfer. It's pretty much the same as Pal Park except you need two separate systems. Yes, you need 2 DSes to transfer ONE WAY ONLY from past generations to a future generation. This is the system they are replacing, not Pal Park. Pal Park was replaced by Poke transfer a long time ago. Pal Park is the exception, stop trying to say otherwise. I might be wrong here so if I am, next post either disregard this completely or show me exactly how you can transfer Pokemon from one generation to another using only one console in the other generations.

Don't get me wrong, your right that it's not the atrocity that I'm probably making it out to be, but I don't just magically accept new prices on things just because someone told me to, particularly endless fees. I consider how these things affect me and how I was able to do those things before. I'm still not buying any future Pokemon games. For me this wasn't saving money, it was taking money. And for a lot of others this was probably the case too. And to be honest, I don't differentiate by what's worse and what's not (microtransactions compared to this, for example), if its sleezy I'm calling it out, small or big.
Fair enough, people won't take you seriously if you do, but fair enough. However one question you seem to be dodging in all of your posts. Why is this the example on the tip of your tongue when there are so many worse ones to pick from? Please make an effort to explain this because I am genuinely curious. It's kinda like asking why people aren't complaining about the light drizzle when they have just survived a terrible hurricane.

As it seems you and I both have our reasons for our stances so I don't really see this as anything more than an impasse. I do appreciate you discussing it with me though and I can at least see better now a picture of it from someone else's perspective. I'll read any further points you have, but I've said what I have to say on the matter.
I wouldn't call what you have voiced reasons. All you've done is cried about Pal Park and refused any explanation of why Pal Park isn't in X/Y and ignored the fact that it's not present in R/B/Y/G/S/C/R/S/E/FR/LG/HG/SS/B/W/B2/W2, but if you want to call that reasons. Go ahead.

And I meant to touch on this before and forgot, but I actually don't appreciate that they make two versions required in order to get all the mons, yes that is a cash grab. I've gotten into that debate before a long time ago, just not here. I would love if they changed it so that all pokemon were in just one game each time, however I doubt they will. And I can at least get by that by not having to buy both versions because there are others I can go to, or find on reddit whom I can trade with. This costs neither of us any extra money to do also. Especially now with the awesome Wonder Trade thing its gotten loads easier to pair up for some new pokemon, although overtime I imagine it will lose its utility since its just random chance.
Yes, this have been progress. Why don't you whine about the fact that this feature wasn't there in Red or Blue?

The Pokemon Bank thing was just the most recent icing on the cake of my already large aggravation with pokemon. I don't want to really get into it, but their world and level design as well as plot progression choices (as in you don't get any choices about where to go, i.e. hand holding) have turned into garbage over the years, IMO. That and they refuse to make another game as large as Silver/Gold/Crystal (excluding the remake because they were forced to, otherwise fans would be pissed).
So what you're saying is that Pokemon Bank isn't the reason you quit the series. It's just the last straw. You are arguing at length about how Pokemon Bank is an awful cash grab while what you're really saying is that in coalition with your pre-existing ire Pokemon Bank just tipped you over the edge? That's something else entire from saying that Pokemon Bank is so horrible that it made you abandon the series. Then it's clear to me that people who don't share this ire would also be likely to accept Pokemon Bank which to all of us is time saving and to some of us money saving, but I doubt you'll ever see reason on this. You have shown no ability to do so before, you have shown no ability to accept evidence that contradicts you so I am sure you'll keep being blinded by your own opinions regardless of what I can tell you. Hate Pokemon all you want. Hate consumers for being stupid all you want. Just don't be surprised if you get called out on your opinions when you're wrong.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Azaraxzealot said:
No one knows just how hyped I was for this game when I first saw it at the surprise reveal all those years back. Now? After all this bullshit and delays? I give up. Great job Ubisoft, you took something that was supposed to bring joy into people's lives and turned it into yet more reasons to just stick with cynicism and never try to be happy...

I'm depressed now, and not just because I've been in the hospital...
It does now seem like a past life when we first heard of this game and it heralded as some shining beacon of originality, reading to cure all cases of franchise fatigue and such like in one go.

Hopefully, despite all this, the game will still be good, even if no one person is going to get all the content (unless they own both an XB1 and PS4 and buy all 5 versions). I'll just have to try to not let obligatory Uplay prompt ruin it. That, and hoping Ubisoft don't do an Assassin's Creed on us and start giving us yearly Watch Dogs installments.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Bullshit, this makes me loose any bit of interest I had left for WD. Ah Ubisoft, screwing over customers for quiet a while now.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134755-GameStop-Watch-Dogs-Breaks-Record-for-Most-Next-Gen-Preorders

This is why they keep doing this kind of shit. Because other people can't keep their god damn wallets closed. Or they're idiots. Most likely both.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I'm not entirely sure why I should get so excited about yet another Grand Theft Auto 3 clone anyway. Maybe Ubisoft feels the same way, "People are excited to buy Grand Theft Auto 3, again?! What else can we get them to buy?" Oh, but wait, Watch Dogs isn't Grand Theft Auto 3, it's Grand Theft Auto 3 with hacking and it's made by a AAA studio that's probably better at making games than RockStar is. Sure, that changes everything, right? Right?

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Aaaand there goes my hype for this game. I usually don't like waiting for GOTY editions, as I want to play a game I'm excited for as soon as possible, but this is just ridiculous. That and Ubisoft games being hit and miss on PC (Far Cry 3 crashing is still a problem) have gone to actually make me wait for the complete edition next year. Way go go games industry.

Demonchaser27

Mar 20, 2014
Yopaz said:
Demonchaser27 said:
You don't find it weird at all that they would make a service exactly around the time of a first pokemon game on a new gen console? They wouldn't have done this for the purpose of making trading between games easier, because that would have lost them this money you think people have to spend in order to transfer their mons between games. Except they know that two people can just use each other's DS's or 3DS's in order to trade/transfer before. It wasn't guaranteed money. Pokemon Bank is guaranteed money. For people like you who don't have anyone else (I'm not intended to insult you if this is the case) to help you, I'm sure this is great, but for those of us who had it free before (because we had friends who we could just use their DS) its a rip off. That's why they should have given us the free alternative I spoke of.
Let me stop you there. Is this an opportunity that is there for everyone? Does EVERYONE have a friend nearby that would help him/her to trade Pokemon? If I were to tell you that the answer for this was no, would you refuse to believe that? Would you refuse to believe that not EVERYONE in the world has a friend who own a 3DS and would let them borrow it? It's 5 dollars. Easily saved me money at least considering I would have to hop on the train and sit there for 7 hours just to borrow my sister's DS to do unless I cave and buy a new DS (which would actually cost less than the train ride).

You can't actually use the service to transfer mons of old games to other old games, only to transfer mons of old games forward to X and Y. That clearly was intended to replace Pal Park. As I said before its not difficult to find a friend with a DS or 3DS, hell you could even use a friend online in another country if you wanted to. If anything with the number of people playing pokemon and the sheer number of DS's and 3DS's sold, I would argue that your example of people not being able to find someone/anyone else with a DS or 3DS would be the exception to the rule.
It's not difficult. For YOU to find a friend who's got a DS/3DS. Stop applying your own experiences like that to the entire world. As earlier stated I have to travel 7 hours. I don't have the time to do that. I don't have the money to do that. I can't do that whenever I want. Do you see the problem here? As I stated, I know someone who claims homeopathy works. This person is fully aware of that every trial that has shown possible improvement compared to placebo is false, but she still believes it. You will continue to maintain the stance that your personal experience is applicable to everyone so why should I even bother to discuss this any further?

However you keep insisting that this is a replacement of Pal Park and I want to question that as the last thing. How is this a replacement of Pal Park? Pal Park was only present in one game and only because this was the only game where the opportunity was there. A GBA cartridge and a DS cartridge on the same system. The unique opportunity to have 2 cartridges at the same time. That's the only reason it could be done. That is why it's not present in Black/White. You know what Black/White have? They have Poke Transfer. It's pretty much the same as Pal Park except you need two separate systems. Yes, you need 2 DSes to transfer ONE WAY ONLY from past generations to a future generation. This is the system they are replacing, not Pal Park. Pal Park was replaced by Poke transfer a long time ago. Pal Park is the exception, stop trying to say otherwise. I might be wrong here so if I am, next post either disregard this completely or show me exactly how you can transfer Pokemon from one generation to another using only one console in the other generations.

Don't get me wrong, your right that it's not the atrocity that I'm probably making it out to be, but I don't just magically accept new prices on things just because someone told me to, particularly endless fees. I consider how these things affect me and how I was able to do those things before. I'm still not buying any future Pokemon games. For me this wasn't saving money, it was taking money. And for a lot of others this was probably the case too. And to be honest, I don't differentiate by what's worse and what's not (microtransactions compared to this, for example), if its sleezy I'm calling it out, small or big.
Fair enough, people won't take you seriously if you do, but fair enough. However one question you seem to be dodging in all of your posts. Why is this the example on the tip of your tongue when there are so many worse ones to pick from? Please make an effort to explain this because I am genuinely curious. It's kinda like asking why people aren't complaining about the light drizzle when they have just survived a terrible hurricane.

As it seems you and I both have our reasons for our stances so I don't really see this as anything more than an impasse. I do appreciate you discussing it with me though and I can at least see better now a picture of it from someone else's perspective. I'll read any further points you have, but I've said what I have to say on the matter.
I wouldn't call what you have voiced reasons. All you've done is cried about Pal Park and refused any explanation of why Pal Park isn't in X/Y and ignored the fact that it's not present in R/B/Y/G/S/C/R/S/E/FR/LG/HG/SS/B/W/B2/W2, but if you want to call that reasons. Go ahead.

And I meant to touch on this before and forgot, but I actually don't appreciate that they make two versions required in order to get all the mons, yes that is a cash grab. I've gotten into that debate before a long time ago, just not here. I would love if they changed it so that all pokemon were in just one game each time, however I doubt they will. And I can at least get by that by not having to buy both versions because there are others I can go to, or find on reddit whom I can trade with. This costs neither of us any extra money to do also. Especially now with the awesome Wonder Trade thing its gotten loads easier to pair up for some new pokemon, although overtime I imagine it will lose its utility since its just random chance.
Yes, this have been progress. Why don't you whine about the fact that this feature wasn't there in Red or Blue?

The Pokemon Bank thing was just the most recent icing on the cake of my already large aggravation with pokemon. I don't want to really get into it, but their world and level design as well as plot progression choices (as in you don't get any choices about where to go, i.e. hand holding) have turned into garbage over the years, IMO. That and they refuse to make another game as large as Silver/Gold/Crystal (excluding the remake because they were forced to, otherwise fans would be pissed).
So what you're saying is that Pokemon Bank isn't the reason you quit the series. It's just the last straw. You are arguing at length about how Pokemon Bank is an awful cash grab while what you're really saying is that in coalition with your pre-existing ire Pokemon Bank just tipped you over the edge? That's something else entire from saying that Pokemon Bank is so horrible that it made you abandon the series. Then it's clear to me that people who don't share this ire would also be likely to accept Pokemon Bank which to all of us is time saving and to some of us money saving, but I doubt you'll ever see reason on this. You have shown no ability to do so before, you have shown no ability to accept evidence that contradicts you so I am sure you'll keep being blinded by your own opinions regardless of what I can tell you. Hate Pokemon all you want. Hate consumers for being stupid all you want. Just don't be surprised if you get called out on your opinions when you're wrong.
Your doing just the same thing you claim I was doing. In this response your lumping your condition to everyone else. I literally said, "As it seems you and I both have our reasons for our stances so I don't really see this as anything more than an impasse." I'm upset because pal park existed before now and they refused to do better than that this time. I never imposed my aggravation with it onto you. I've said that for people like me, not ALL people, this was a rip off. If you refuse to understand that, then nothing I say is going to help you. I gave you how it worked against all players and how it could have been done better, but that's not enough for you. Just let it go. Just because you disagree with me doesn't make my anger with it incorrect.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Demonchaser27 said:
Your doing just the same thing you claim I was doing. In this response your lumping your condition to everyone else. I literally said, "As it seems you and I both have our reasons for our stances so I don't really see this as anything more than an impasse." I'm upset because pal park existed before now and they refused to do better than that this time. I never imposed my aggravation with it onto you. I've said that for people like me, not ALL people, this was a rip off. If you refuse to understand that, then nothing I say is going to help you. I gave you how it worked against all players and how it could have been done better, but that's not enough for you. Just let it go. Just because you disagree with me doesn't make my anger with it incorrect.
I'm not lumping everyone together. I said not everyone has the opportunity to trade with a friend. I didn't say no-one has the opportunity. You said it wasn't difficult to find a friend to trade with. I said for some people it is difficult.
Do you see the distinction? I say that there are some people (not everyone) who actually have difficulties transferring their Pokemon to a new game. You said it's not difficult, while meaning it's not difficult for you.

Look, you are ignoring most of what I am saying and you refuse to answer my questions. If you don't have any answers for that then I can safely get to my conclusion that you are overreacting and that you may or may not be aware of it.

Edit: OK, let's just end this. My major claim is that you're overreacting. You said you react like this to everything, big or small. That is the very definition of overreacting so you did kinda confirm my claim a long time ago.