Jimquisition: Welcoming A Digital Future

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
My Steam library dwarfs my physical collection and cost me significantly less per game.

For me, the digital age is already here and it is good.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Digital distribution will be the biggest con ever. Even now with downloadable games, music and books they are still sold at a high cost. Even without the cost of packaging and sending copies to stores, the costs of a digital album is only a few pounds cheaper than physical copy and with popular albums/games/books will always be sold expensive digitally. Because they will sell.

Yes it will enable new artists or companies to release there own games are music independently straight to the consumer and return most of the profit. But overall it wont change prices for AAA titles.

Hopefully im wrong.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
J-meMalone said:
Anyone else starting to worry that, if thing go 100% digital, publishers are going to start blaming indie games/gamers for loss of sales rather than game stores? I wouldn't put such a leap in logic past some of them...
How would that be a problem? I imagine even they would have a hard time making it a felony to play or make indie games.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Zhukov said:
My Steam library dwarfs my physical collection and cost me significantly less per game.

Yeah, I've got to say I too have jumped of the physical bandwagon. I love the digital era.

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
Although I can't find any fault with the logic in this episode it does have the Jimquisition thing of being a tad one sided.

Digital distribution will take over and be better for the little guys as well as screwing the big bullyboy companies but it will also mean the end of the trade in market which. If handled poorly this will in turn seriously damage the market in the short term and potentially kill of the console market; if a developer has the option of putting a game on XBLA and jumping through Microsofts hoops or putting it on Steam (or their own website) and getting a hassle free distribution it doesn't take a genius to see where they are going to release it.

Now, whether the death of the console market and the rise of the PC to the position of the preeminent gaming platform is a bad thing, well that's a completely different discussion.

Aug 17, 2009
Irridium said:
vxicepickxv said:
Aircross said:
Dungeon Keeper's developer is not the only developer EA has ruined or is ruining at this moment.
I'm trying to figure out how many developers they're currently in the process of all but destroying.

Origin - Known for both the Wing Commander and Ultima series
EA Black Box(Formerly Black Box games) - Some Skate and Need for Speed games. This is very recent
Bullfrog - This is where Dungeon Keeper came from. They also unleashed Peter Molyneaux because of this.
Kesmai - Pretty much nothing anyone will remember, because they were owned and basically buried by AOL, then sold to EA, then closed off.
Pandemic - Destroy All Humans, Mercenaries, and a few other titles.

I'm sure with enough digging, we could probably find about 100 or so basically dead IPs for EA, and as many, if not more for Activision.
There's also Westwood. Makers of Command and Conquer. EA bought them, gutted them, kept their IP to profit off with shit like...

And if you want to go the Activision route... well there's this little number.

You know, I wonder if Jim started a Metal Arms rebirth the other week. If Psychonauts and Beyond Good & Evil can be brought back into the conversation, I hope Metal Arms can be, too.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
Digital distribution will be the biggest con ever. Even now with downloadable games, music and books they are still sold at a high cost. Even without the cost of packaging and sending copies to stores, the costs of a digital album is only a few pounds cheaper than physical copy and with popular albums/games/books will always be sold expensive digitally. Because they will sell.

Yes it will enable new artists or companies to release there own games are music independently straight to the consumer and return most of the profit. But overall it wont change prices for AAA titles.

Hopefully im wrong.
What you are missing is that more and more music artists won't be tied to a recording label that will dictate the price of an album. Instead we will see more things like the app store where a developer submits directly to Apple and sets terms and prices with it. Or music artists will release music directly from their own website, giving people sliding scale pricing: $x.xx for a standard MP3, $x more for a FLAC or whatever the du jour lossless format is and then a few dollars more to have a CD, or even vinyl, printed and shipped.

The age of the recording label is coming to an end and they will be less and less important as people realize they can create and publish without a middle man driving up costs and sucking up profits.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
SkarKrow said:
Issue: What about console sources? If the major hardware companies go digital only we will pretty much have prices dictated to you. Frankly, who the fuck wants to pay £55 for Bodycount because the publisher said so and SCEE don't give a fuck about us?

EDIT: Before I'm told to get a PC instead, I simply can't afford to get my PC up to snuff and won't be able to for a good 3 or 4 years. So yeah.
I see so many people say this "It's too expensive" yet they go pay £40-60 on some console game every month or so. Where as on PC, I scoff at the idea of paying £20 for a game, let alone £40. Seriously, in the long run you save so much, and you will get more out of your games because the communities tend to last longer on PC.

OT: Yea, I've been saying this for years, soon as I discovered steam, digital distribution is the only way forward. Sure people will whine about wanting hard copies to collect, but last time I checked you can still buy hard copy CDs for albums, even though they're also on iTunes.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Anything that increases the speed of obsolescence of big publishers is a good thing. In the internet era there no longer a need for parasitic middle men between creators and fans.

Every executive and I'll go as far as to say shareholder in a big publishing company is nothing but a leech on the creative process.

Indie, self published only for the win.

And thanks for giving Divine Cybermancy more screen time, that game deserves way more attention than it has gotten.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
esperandote said:
I don't understand something. Why developers can develope games on their own to be published digitally but cant develope a game on their own to be distributed physically by a publisher, pay them for that and keep the IP?
Because the manufacture and distribution of physical media is expensive.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Yopaz said:
Zhukov said:

Yeah, I've got to say I too have jumped of the physical bandwagon. I love the digital era.
Same here, plus digital distribution has been the only way to get some of my favorite games of recent.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
esperandote said:
I don't understand something. Why developers can develope games on their own to be published digitally but cant develope a game on their own to be distributed physically by a publisher, pay them for that and keep the IP?
They technically can, but the big publishers won't handle the distribution unless the developers also sell the IP.
That's why I'm rooting for the upcoming digital revolution. The day when the big publishers finally loose their longstanding domination and can no longer get away with strangling small guys for IP without putting forth any effort of their own.

Snipermanic

Mar 1, 2008
God, where is that pink guy with the bent nose and cigar from? That's going to keep me up all night unless I remember

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
DD is something I fear.
I LIKE having physical copies of MY games.

What happens of some DD service goes offline?
BAM!
There goes all my games and money.

No thanks Jim, I'd rather OWN something than have a 'promise' from some company.

Well, unless all these DD go the GOG route, then, MAYBE, I'll be cool with it.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
lord.jeff said:
Yopaz said:
Zhukov said:

Same here, plus digital distribution has been the only way to get some of my favorite games of recent.
+1

221 games in my Steam Library and still growing and I'm not even counting my GOG library. With that same money I've spent on digital purchases, in less than 3 years mind you, I'd probably buy a console and have less than 20 full priced games.