Jimquisition: When The Starscreams Kill Used Games

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
When The Starscreams Kill Used Games

The Xbox One will kill used games and control second-hand sales, and some people think that's great. Jim Sterling is not among them.

Watch Video

themilo504

May 9, 2010
If used games where to die, I would probably stop buying console games, since I can simply get games far cheaper for the pc.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Not only that but Valve realised that dropping prices down meant a HUGE increase in sales and overall profits. Companies like Microsoft and EA are only looking at the short term gains. They're basically The Once-ler from The Lorax, cutting down the Truffula trees to make a tidy buck right up until the last tree is felled.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
I actually never buy used games at all, but I love having my consoles games in physical form and actually owned by me. Steam is acceptable on PC, same system on a console = GTFO. Console is supposed to be a dedicated gaming machine. No drm and activation shit.
Also, xbone will be region locked. And my favorite games from recent years (PS3, Vita) were ALL imported. And never came out in the west.

Sugarman101

Jan 8, 2011
We only have to look at the most recent Steam Sales to show that even fan favourite Valve stopped doing the biggest sales once they gained such a dominant position in the marketplace. The cheapest place to get Steam games these days usually isn't on Steam.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Title should have read "PS4 and Xbox One might possibly have killed used games and controlled second-hand sales (refuted by both companies but who really listens to Microsoft or Sony?) and some people are upset because they feel like being upset and don't want to wait for all the facts."

The most recent info is that MS has worked out a way that used game retailers can sell for whatever they want and everybody gets a cut. Sony has enabled the PS4 to block used content but is putting the onus on the publishers so a similar arrangement may be reached.

Oh and obviously MS requires the firstborn of every consumer because they're MS. Though seriously, the firstborn is like the trial kid where you make all your mistakes anyways.

Marohen

Jun 30, 2009
I think there is some fairness in arguing that the absence of used games doesn't harm a platform, since PC is doing fine without it; however, removing used games from consoles merely reinforces the trend of "consoles as shit PCs", and all that sentiment entails.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Thank you, Jim.

I read that same article when it was posted & my jaw literally dropped

Thank you again for an impressive & important counterpoint

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
Publishers will always try to exploit everything, no matter how nice the consumer is.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
I can't even remember the last game I rented... :(
You can still rent games?

(This comment was meant as a joke to emphasize what you said.)

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
...wow. I live in the UK, I go to GAME regularly, and I actually bought a PS3 from them a while back. Luckily, that one was second hand, and I also bought a game and a spare controller for it, so I walk away with a bargin and GAME got a fat bit of cash, but still... they only get 1% of a new sale? That's freaking unreal!

And yes, THANK GOD FOR YOU!

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Chessrook44 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I can't even remember the last game I rented... :(
You can still rent games?

(This comment was meant as a joke to emphasize what you said.)
Actually, I don't think I've EVER rented a game, or even seen a place that still does rental...

MichaelMaverick

Jan 28, 2009
Marohen said:
I think there is some fairness in arguing that the absence of used games doesn't harm a platform, since PC is doing fine without it;
Not exactly fine due to all the very real piracy, but the PC isn't the target of these companies' attempts at total domination, the consoles are.

Marohen

Jun 30, 2009
MichaelMaverick said:
Marohen said:
I think there is some fairness in arguing that the absence of used games doesn't harm a platform, since PC is doing fine without it;
Not exactly fine due to all the very real piracy, but the PC isn't the target of these companies' attempts at total domination, the consoles are.
Could you quantify the scale of piracy and its effect on game sales?

You kinda missed the point of my statement; if I can't buy a game used why don't I just wait until a steam sale and buy the game on there? The sentiment is that consoles have very little that's unique to offer and the removal of used games is just one less thing.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Oh don't worry about being positive Jim. The Xbox One reveal was so bad I think it might be responsible for a brand new form of post traumatic stress disorder.

panosbouk

Feb 28, 2011
If it wasn't for rentals and used games, I would have never bought every final fantasy, (except X-2 and XIII-2 cause yeah for those two you don't deserve my money). I would never bought Soul Reaver trilogy. Grand Turismo, Zelda Ocarina of Time, and the list can go on and on.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Gearhead mk2 said:
Actually, I don't think I've EVER rented a game, or even seen a place that still does rental...
If you've ever seen a Red Box machine, you've seen a game rental place.