Jimquisition: Who "Won" The Next-Gen Launch?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Who "Won" The Next-Gen Launch?

The next phase of the console war has begun, but with the PS4 and Xbox One now out in the wild, the first battle is over. So who won? Jimquisition looks at the contenders, and crowns an early victor.

Watch Video

Big_Isaac

May 24, 2012
Does anyone else think handhelds are being unfairly excluded from this console war shenanigans?
'cause I'm pretty sure the 3DS has the best library out of the current gen systems right now.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Big_Isaac said:
Does anyone else think handhelds are being unfairly excluded from this console war shenanigans?
'cause I'm pretty sure the 3DS has the best library out of the current gen systems right now.
Where you say "unfairly excluded" I say "mercifully spared."

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
...Did not see *that* coming. Entertaining video, though I'm in no position to make the kind of evaluation that you did, Jim. I regard these console wars from the PC-gaming sidelines. :)

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
First off Jim, I'm liking the new icon.

Secondly Seeing that you have an Ouya I am quite curious about what your opinions on the system is. I think it's great for an upstart, inexperienced console. But a lot of people say otherwise.

Third, I'm quite surprised by your choice. I will reserve my own comments since I'm not to giddy on getting into multiple disagreements with people.

Freshness is often synonymous with "gimmicks" and there is no sense arguing over that.

I will just sit here and watch.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
And meanwhile the PC shall continue plodding along at its standard pace, like it has been doing for decades upon decades.

All honesty, when the WiiU was announced I didn't even realize it was a new console entirely. I thought it was just a new add-on or something, like the wheel or the gun or that pad thing or whatever. I mean new consoles weren't due for a year, right? It took me months to realize it was an actual CONSOLE.

For me though, from what I've heard and know of the four options, if I had to choose I'd pick PS4. I've had the XBox and 360 in the past, and while there were occasionally games for the PS consoles that interested me, I was fine with the XBox. And Nintendo's consoles? None of the games I ever saw seemed for me. PS4 though... eh. Maybe some stuff might catch my interest. I dunno.

Due to finances though, I'm gonna have to stick with PC. Besides, Watch_Dogs comes out on PC too and that's the main game I'm looking forward to.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Well, most of the current generation has begun for you guys at least.
Australia ... and I think Europe have a release date of the 29th for the PS4.

It both sucks and yet not suck since that day is my birthday. Yet EbGames (Gamestop to the US) are willing to place my order back and I am going back there and kick someones teeth in if they want to ruin my birthday.
Cause I'm a selfish jerk like that ...

... well when it comes to my birthday at least. :D

Other then that, I do agree with you, yet I have hope for this new current generation.'

EDIT: And that ending ... I'm just tempted to say "OUYA OKAY!?" Okay that was bad and I feel bad.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Big_Isaac said:
The last thing handhelds needs is to be involved in half the stupid arguments that consoles are often in.

I still don't know why resolution wars are still going on.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I agree, the Wii U does deserve a bit of recognition. But then again it shouldn't go too far, after all the fact that it has a better library than the PS4 and the XB1 should be the least we can expect from it, seeing how it came out a year before them.

Other than that? Really looking forward to see what the Steambox is gonna be all about. It should at the very least be... different.

Mosesj

Sep 19, 2010
I got to admit, even though I am still not buying any of the new consoles, the ps4 looked pretty exciting. Xbone is, well, it was handled so poorly that I am amazed people were willing to give it a second chance

Frankly, I thought Ryse looks really boring. Sure, the executions look cool and game looks amazing, but after doing the same execution 5 million times, it loses its appeal.

this is the same problem I had with god of war.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Big_Isaac said:
The 3ds as of right now IS the handheld market. The vita(I own one i'm proud to say it) is not doing well at all. Without a series to help it like the monster hunter series did for the psp, it's not reaching it's potential.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
This whole "who won" thing is just childish. As long as your enjoying the console you chose why would it matter who sold the most? Granted id like my chosen console to sell enough so there is enough consumers to warrant a developer to make games for it. Personally i have zero interest in Nintendo games, just never appealed to me. But the PS4/XB1 dont have any games worth buying a new system for so maybe next year. Though it does make me really interested in next years E3.

ars731

Nov 10, 2006
You know Jim, you shouldn't lick strange consoles, you dont know where they been or how much lead they have in the paint

=Doc=

Jan 18, 2011
Let that be a lesson for y'all toad lovers out there: Do NOT lick yer ouya! Cuz it will make ya OUYA!

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I have a PS4 sitting on my shelf, but I am playing Super Mario 3D world right now instead of Battlefield. Hhhmm, amazing how that works. I love my PS4, but I know I am just going to be playing what I got on Playstation 3 on it all over again, just prettier. That's great, but when I think of the possibility the wiiU holds, I do get more excited. mainly because Nintendo wasn't knee deep in BS when gen 7 ended, but Xbox and Sony were. It's not encouraging to see nothing has changed. The wiiU pad is also surprisingly comfortable, true. I've yet to find a reason to buy a pro-controller because the pad fees so damn comfy in my hands.

But I think the biggest positive here is the fact that everyone who buys an Xbox One and PS4 has to worry they're getting one of the duds, then if they do they have to pack their crap up and wait a while to get their new console. If there is a failure rate for wiiUs, it's probably so miniscule it's barley even relevant. I certainly don't expect a Nintendo console to be DOA out of the box, but I was terrified the moment I opened my PS4. That's not the feeling getting a new console should give.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Ha! Vindicated by the Jim. While everyone's been freaking out about the PS4 and Xone I have been saying that the Wii U is by far the more interesting console at the moment. I even put my money where my mouth is and went and got one and haven't regretted it for a second.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
I really like the Wii U gamepad and the exclusive titles are pretty darn great. Nintendo is always putting out great games, no matter if they are repetitive. Also I feel more trust giving my money to Nintendo than either Sony or Microsoft, who tend to push out more shitty DLC, Microtransactions and Season Passes, while Nintendo gives us stuff like New Super Luigi U.

Also, I have a gaming computer so the only games I miss out are console exclusive games and that is bound to be less common this gen, considering the boost in Steam ports and the PS4 and Xbone being specialized PCs.

When Jim pulled out the Ouya I thought it was a speaker or something, how that thing bombed, oh well.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I've been really considering buying a WiiU recently. Maybe in a few months time, gotta get my budget in order.

Also, Jim you look like you've lost a lot of weight. You're looking good, man! Keep it up, I know it's not easy :)
You might have to get a new suit soon!

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I both expected the Wii U and didn't expect it.

Expected it because well it's pretty obvious that you go for the odd man out when the big two engage in happy slap fights. Unexpected because the Wii U had reasonable launch sales, a good game but it didn't really have a big impact when it was released.

It feels weird to think that the 7th Gen is "last gen" now, lasting exactly 8 years and 0 days.