Jimquisition: Why An Always-On DRM Console Would Be Dumb Dumb Dumb

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Why An Always-On DRM Console Would Be Dumb Dumb Dumb

Just talking about an "always-on" Xbox is a really dumb idea.

Watch Video

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
How long until there's a shiny new jim sterling 'deal with it' gif? XD

lord pickle

Apr 9, 2009
I bought the Xbox when it first came out and I am on my third Xbox 360. If microsoft pulls this always on DRM shit I won't be buying their new console. I will go to the indies or the mobile market and tell microsoft to both deal with it and suck it.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Agreed. On every level.

I have a pretty poor internet connection where I am and I'm not exactly in the middle of nowhere, I'm in the south of England, not much more than 70 miles from London itself. Yet my internet probably wouldn't sustain a strong connection all the time. It drops considerably low between 5pm and midnight, which is my normal gaming time.

Needless to say, PS3 updates take FOREVER and most times I'll avoid using that particular console simply for that reason. If there's an always on DRM console released, you can be sure I won't buy it based simply on those grounds.

Invadergray

Oct 17, 2011
When will the publishers learn, if you make quality products, we will GIVE you our money. You don't have to keep trying to TAKE it from us! If you make worthwhile consoles and games to keep console gaming alive, you will ensure profits for years to comes. If you make restrictive consoles to wring the last pennies out of console gaming's pension fund before it croaks, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I think the reason they have that kind of attitude is because they are banking on sales from the kind of people who will buy the console because it's all shiny and new rather than for any other reason. There are some people who have to have the current generation, regardless of how good or bad it is.

I can't see why else they could have such a dismissive attitude towards their customers, especially considering that selling 3 million copies of a game is considered "below expectations". If games were still being made cheap, then perhaps they could get away with that kind of attitude, but considering how much money they are losing, even when games are selling well, you'd think trying to please people would be a much better idea than trying to siphon money off of them any way that you can.

As for the always online. I honestly cannot see the logic behind it. We are not yet in a world where reliable fast broadband is widespread enough for this kind of usage. In five to ten years, I'd imagine this idea could work, but right now we simply are not ready for it. So why are they so insistent? I cannot see the advantage for them.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
You know, I am a big fan of the Xbox. And I like Microsoft (or I guess, I have liked Microsoft). But if this comes to pass, I can not support it. I like playing Halo, but I don't like playing it that much. Forcing their Windows 8 based dashboard at me was bad enough. Going an online only route would be a nail in the coffin.

I honestly hope that when the next Xbox is announced that they show some foresight. And hopefully some self awareness that LIVE GOLD is no longer the value it once was. Staying the course isn't even the right way to go for the next Xbox, and taking it farther into stormy waters, to continue the metaphor, will likely sink that ship. And it's a ship I'd rather not see go down all things considered.

Hopefully these are just rumors and it'll turn out to be a silly internet conspiracy theory. Hopefully.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
WaitWHAT said:
Uratoh said:
How long until there's a shiny new jim sterling 'deal with it' gif? XD
NOT SOON ENOUUUGGGH!!

Someone make it NOW!!!!

OT: Good episode. Anyone else worried about what would happen to games released on an always-on console when they were ported to other formats? Would an XBOX 720 title ported to PC, WiiU and PS4 affect people playing on these platforms simply because the original game had always-online DRM? Food for thought....
If they make it so that you can´t login on your xbox profile, and therefore can´t acces the menues, when you are offline, then it wouldn´t affect the games.

I´m wondering what the benefits would be, what about this idea is supposed to make the consumers go: "That sounds great!". I have a nagging feeling that they just want to make everything worse for everybody, just so they can get even more control... If it happens, i´m not buying, just as i never buy any other game that requires an online connection. The thing is, if they did this, at some point there would be problems, there will always be problems with always online, but there won´t be any benefits... So why do it?

Personally i would prefer a conosle that was only capable of accesing a store online, the rest should be offline. I don´t want all kinds of silly social features in my gaming.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
If the rumor is true, Microsoft, I'm not buying your console. Deal with it.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I think I speak for all of us when I say,

Now we just need to learn to be proactive with our money. Right now.

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
That last minute was immaculate. The conceit we're being shown is unconscionable. I'm almost looking forward to some big crash (I'm getting too old for hardcore gaming anyways), and seeing what rises from the ashes.

QUINTIX

May 16, 2008
I'll disagree with Kevin Dent here too https://kevin-dent.squarespace.com/blog/2013/4/5/in-the-world-2929
however, I will agree with him & Manveer Heir that the Orth is not deserving the bile he's receiving.

From my bigoted perspective, this vitriol filled reaction to perceived threats (especially anti-feminist ones) is to be expected from our latchkey generation with many of its "young men" staying teenage boys into perpetuity.

keitarobg

Jan 19, 2009
It's about time to start suing developers for imposing always-on DRM and failing to sustain the conditions for it. It's an obvious breach of contract, because the obligee (ze publisher) is denying a service, for which the customer has paid. Imagine buying milk from the store, paying for it and getting just the plastic jug without milk in it, because the cows aren't able to produce milk right now. It's exactly the same.

What I'm trying to say is that it's a legal issue. This is not a debate. People need to turn to court otherwise this bullshit will continue in the future.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
MS needs to realise that it produces a luxury item. As much as gamers are willing to put up with shit to play their favourite games, we all realise that we don't really need to play them. These are things we fill our time with to entertain us. Comparing it to things like phones and vacuum cleaners is ridiculous. Those things are necessary items. We put up with problems with them because the need for them will not go away. If the electricity goes out or the mobile network doesn't cover wherever we happen to be, we wait until those services return and attempt again.

If crappy servers go down just that one time too many, we won't wait any more. We'll go buy a PS4 instead. Or maybe we'll get a PC, or even watch a movie or read a book. Whatever example you can think of. But if your luxury product doesn't work exactly when it is convenient for us, then don't expect our patience to last very long. You can't demand that we "deal with it", you need to deal with us. If you're not fulfilling our requirements, then we're not going to give you our money. Simple as that. You need to work around our demands, not the other way around.

The stupidest thing about all this is that our demands aren't even that complicated. We don't really care about all this fancy gimmicky shit. We just want a machines which has sufficient power to run games, and for those games to be fun. Maybe a few online features as well, like online play and download services. We'll gladly give you money for that. Instead you'd rather overcomplicate everything, treat us like criminals right from the word go, and try to squeeze as much money out of us at every single possible opportunity.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I do find it very hard to believe MS would cut out so much of their current users but then again, how much do they really make off gamers who just buy the console and never pay for the online service? If they were going to be total looters, they might not care about losing those customers.
The only question is are they overestimating how much their hardcore fans will put up with? These fans already have put up with a defective console, pay for online that went up in price, and loads of advertising to go with that. It's all these factors that have kept me from buying a 360 this whole gen and honestly it really shouldn't have sold as well as it did.