Jimquisition: Why the Wii U May Have Already "Won" Next-gen

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Why the Wii U May Have Already "Won" Next-gen

Reactions to the Wii U among hardcore gamers have been mixed at best, downright cynical at worst.

Watch Video

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Ah, the Expo. I think Jim posing as Jesus in the Last Supper posing is the most memorable part of it, besides Yatzee declaring his love for Silent Hill 2's psychological horror.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Holy shit, that spaz-out at the end was funnier than the one he did in the Operation Rainfall ep. I would've had no problem with Jim doing that for a full 5 minutes.....does that make me a horrible person?

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
I think this new challenge of smartTVs is also the reason Nintendo returned to the "core" market. Why would casual gamers buy a console when they can get their flash and facebook games over the TV now?

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Urh said:
Holy shit, that spaz-out at the end was funnier than the one he did in the Operation Rainfall ep. I would've had no problem with Jim doing that for a full 5 minutes.....does that make me a horrible person?
Not if you are enjoying it ironically, lol

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Personally i can´t see any reason to buy a Wiiu, Atleast not at launch. I normally don´t buy a console until there´s atleast 10-20 games i´d really like to play. At the moment i think Bayonetta 2 is the only game that is even remotely interesting to me, which isn´t already available or "soon to be" available on my ps3. Just don´t see much reason to throw my money at them.

It would get a bit more interesting if they announced downloadable GC games, and about 20 new ips. I´m just a bit concerned that it will end up being a Ps3/xbox360 with a smaller library of games...

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I am shocked and appalled. What a shameful waste of perfectly good tomato sauce :p

Oh and yeah the points on the Wii U are an interesting way of looking at the next gen.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Jim Sterling, first teaching people at the Expo how to drink properly, now teaching us what to do with ketchup. Thank God for Jim, indeed.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
T-T i didn't get to bask in the glow of Jim's awesome ....

yes the people whining about Bayonetta 2 being a WiiU exclusive are being silly given the alternative, which is not having the game at all.

as for the WiiU it self? its already the most interesting system of the three. why? at bare minimum i expect the PS4 to be a hardware upgrade, and the 720, meh, might as well not exist for all I'll care

Jeremy Monken

Jul 7, 2008
Smart TVs still aren't very close to providing a real hardcore gaming experience. They will, at most, have minigamey little app type games along the lines of Angry Birds or all the cheeseball Kinect games. That's the kind of gameplay the WiiU is likely to offer with a lot of its titles.

So how can the WiiU "win" when it's competing with the Smart TVs while the next entries from MS and Sony will be the hardcore traditional consoles we've come to know and love?

WiiU is trying to take on tablets, consoles and smart TVs all at once while doing nothing to appeal to someone that wants all three. Not to mention the buyers remorse it has to overcome with millions of dusty Wiis out there.

I'm betting on Microsoft in this round.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
I could have guessed Jim would think much of the outrage over Bayonetta 2, but I didn't think he'd condim ent so strongly.
You might say the whole thing has him seeing red.

beetrain

Nov 17, 2009
I'd never heard of smart TVs until now. I guess it's obvious thing, but that motion control looks awkward.

I don't really care about Bayonetta 2 or Wii U, but after thinking about it I guess it's a good idea.
Though I feel sorry for the fans who don't want to buy a Wii U and will now have to avoid spoilers online.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The thing is, Jim, Nintendo has done this same thing in the past. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't This doesn't sound like a canny and insightful move by Nintendo so much as the occasional stroke of luck by a bunch of people who more or less flail around randomly.

The tablet as a playing screen is a nice one though.

It's also worth noting the slow adoption of new technologies. Smart TVs are the new gimmick which may or may not catch on, but it will be a qhile before their ubiquity threatens Sony and Microsoft even if they do. This makes it highly unlikely that it will be a threat to the upcoming sequels to the PS3 and 360. Case in point, DVD is still the leading physical medium for video, and it took the artificial death of VHS to make it dominant (and then only several years after the fact did it happen). HDTVs, what the current gens from Sony and Microsoft were built around, are just now getting to a reasonable saturation point. New gadgets may not be enoough to push these TVs, especially with an embedded userbase of Sony and Microsoft fanboys and fangirls.

Not that I particularly want to defend Microsoft's practices of putting social media and stuff ahead of gaming, but these days anything released without that sort of thing gets crapped on. It's kind of like mu;tiplayer in video games. Even if a game is 50 hours of the best storytelling ever, it will probably lose some points for not having team death match. sure, it seems stupid, but really, it seems to be what people demand. Just like they freaked out over whether the current gen could play DVDs, though DVD had become so ubiquitous at the point of launch that most microwaves come with DVD functionality (and are moving to Netflix).

I'm kind of hoping they have to break from their subscription model, though.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Jeremy Monken said:
Smart TVs still aren't very close to providing a real hardcore gaming experience. They will, at most, have minigamey little app type games along the lines of Angry Birds or all the cheeseball Kinect games. That's the kind of gameplay the WiiU is likely to offer with a lot of its titles.

So how can the WiiU "win" when it's competing with the Smart TVs while the next entries from MS and Sony will be the hardcore traditional consoles we've come to know and love?

WiiU is trying to take on tablets, consoles and smart TVs all at once while doing nothing to appeal to someone that wants all three. Not to mention the buyers remorse it has to overcome with millions of dusty Wiis out there.

I'm betting on Microsoft in this round.
What.. the.. I don't even... what?

Firstly, didn't you miss the point that it's actually Sony and MS pushing into the all round arena, not Nintendo, secondly and I speak for a lot of Wii owners out there... what buyers remorse? Seriously, I dropped a small amount of money for a machine I whip out when friends are around or for playing games like No More Heroes and Red Steel 2. Like... seriously... I don't even... where do these assumptions about Hardcore gamers come from?

Can we have a new definition please? Something like.. I don't know... you're only truly hardcore if you remember your tape deck chewing your Commodore/Spectrum games? Just something that prevents the ravening mob pointing at something and screaming; GREEEWWAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH WHAT ABOUT THE HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!! THAT'S NOT FOR THE HARDCORE!!!!!111!!!!! WHY DO YOU HATE THE HARDCORE!!!!!!111!!!!!

Seriously... are you all like the Borg, some kind of hive mind who all instinctively know what all the "Hardcore" gamers think... cos seriously, as a hard core gamer, I ain't feeling part of the collective.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
wow... had no idea this argument was even out there!

thanks for the heads up jim.

Also, love the tomato on their face sympbolism

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
MrBaskerville said:
... snip...
It would get a bit more interesting if they announced downloadable GC games, and about 20 new ips. I´m just a bit concerned that it will end up being a Ps3/xbox360 with a smaller library of games...
announced almost a month ago, they have 5 already, and backwards compatibility to Wii means it already has a bigger library of games (that actually get more consistent high scores from reviewers, and players then PS3/Xbox360)

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
gardian06 said:
announced almost a month ago, they have 5 already, and backwards compatibility to Wii means it already has a bigger library of games (that actually get more consistent high scores from reviewers, and players then PS3/Xbox360)
Cool, i only heard it as a rumour somewhere, but cool :D. The wii thing is the other selling point to me, but since i already own a wii, i see no reason to purchase a Wiiu, until my machine breaks. Maybe at that point, it will have more games, i defineately hope that it ends up with a huge library af exclusive games. But i´m a bit sceptical as Nintendo has underwhelmed ever since N64, they say that they want to do better, but it would be nice to see confirmation that they have succeeded.