Jimquisition: Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
BloodRed Pixel said:
The ONLY GOOD CONSOLES where those independent from the internet.
the older i get, the more true this becomes, which kinda makes me sad :/
Me too.

And for the sake of my OCD can we please get rid of the obsession with making every game have achievements? :p

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Ken Sapp said:
Lunar Templar said:
BloodRed Pixel said:
The ONLY GOOD CONSOLES where those independent from the internet.
the older i get, the more true this becomes, which kinda makes me sad :/
Me too.

And for the sake of my OCD can we please get rid of the obsession with making every game have achievements? :p
I'll second that as well, hate achievements that don't do anything, which is pretty much all of them

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I Max95 said:
Crono1973 said:
I Max95 said:
the doom cannon said:
I Max95 said:
i can think of a benefit to console gaming, simplicity, every time i've ever played a game on PC i've had to tweak the settings, go through the installation process (which sometimes does not work for older titles) and hope to god it works.

the details for buying a new computer are endlessly complex same thing with graphics cards and if i play a game with incredibly toned down settings it's rendered unplayable not just through graphics but lag and frame rate.

plus all of my computers are pretty much piss poor, because i'm not at all well off with money. i work minimum wage and my parents don't have much in the way of disposable income, they bought me an xbox and a ps3 only because they were on sale at the time and i didn't already have either of them, but with computers if they were on sale i would'nt even know which computer to buy because of all the complicated details like graphical quality and processing power

and don't tell me my computer can handle it if i tone the setting down, no it fucking can't, i toned the graphics down COMEPLETELY for the free copy of Mass Effect 2 i got through some deal bioware had, and not only did it not work, it didn't even start, the game crashed before it made it to the main menu

with consoles you buy it and you know what it does, it plays games, you put a game in there and it WILL work, because that is specifically what the console was designed to do, there isn't a single chance it won't because all games created for it were designed with it's limitations in mind
You just validated Jim's point: that consoles are no longer JUST gaming devices, and are trying to become more like do-it-all computers and failing in the process.
i didn't say that at all, i was actually saying that the biggest benefit of console gaming is that it doesn't try very hard to be anything more than a gaming console, sure it has a DVD player in it but it never gets in the way of the gaming aspect of the technology

with computers, no, they have other functions than just gaming and odds are when a company makes a computer they don't entirely have gaming in mind and as such the gaming aspects of the rig suffer for it, there are gaming rigs but even those still have to deal with the keyboard, a device clearly not designed for gaming (the mouse works just fine, i just hate that i have to use the keyboard for everything else) and i haven't the slightest clue how to hook a controller up to my computer and i've been trying to for a while now

Maybe you have missed the 360 becoming an ad supported cable box? Maybe you missed the dashboard being changed to suit the ads and tv shows to the detriment of games?

I have to use the search function to find games on the Marketplace now but if I want to see an ad or watch something, that's easy to find.

LOL, this is a joke right? You hook a controller up via USB, the same way wired controllers work on the 360 and the same way the PS3 controllers work. I call BS on this, you know how to plug in a controller.
yeah well my xbox controllers are all wireless, and even if they weren't i see no reason why it would work with ANY game, maybe games made for the Xbox as well, but why would it be compatile with all of them.and even if it is that simple why should i care? my entire gaming setup is pretty much entirely console oriented for many reasons other than controller support

none of the ads bother me, and i have no trouble finding games, especially new releases for DLCs as those have ads on the dashboard right next to the video ads. and even if i have to use the search function, so what? it's typing something into a search bar, you've probably done it fifty times this week alone on your computer and tons of other devices, its a large game library, and a search function is as good a method of navigating it as any
You said you have been "trying for a while" to hook a controller up to your PC. That's BS because it's as simple as plugging in a USB cable and if you had truly been trying, you would have known that. What controller were you trying to plug in?

Many PC games are console ports and many just port their 360 controls right over, complete with graphic button prompts.

When I search on my computer, I have a keyboard. Much easier to search with a keyboard than with a controller but don't let facts get in the way of your bias. The ads SHOULD bother you, you are being monetized and if you pay for Live, you are paying to be monetized.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Fappy said:
The only thing consoles still have on PCs is, as you mentioned, the idea that you know your console will run the game. I have a decent PC, but not every game I own works well on it.
What games can your PC not run (assuming you have adequate hardware)?

Games made for earlier operating systems are just like games made for earlier consoles. You probably didn't complain that your Gamecube couldn't run your N64 carts. Why complain that Windows 7 64 bit won't run a game made for Windows XP 32 bit?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Crono1973 said:
Fappy said:
The only thing consoles still have on PCs is, as you mentioned, the idea that you know your console will run the game. I have a decent PC, but not every game I own works well on it.

Games made for earlier operating systems are just like games made for earlier consoles. You probably didn't complain that your Gamecube couldn't run your N64 carts. Why complain that Windows 7 64 bit won't run a game made for Windows XP 32 bit?
Its not that I can't run them, its that I can't run them very well or run into issues usually related to graphics card incompatibility, etc. For instance: I can't run Skyrim with Antialiasing or Anisotropic Filtering without getting a blinding graphics glitch when looking at light sources (bug introduced with latest patch related to certain graphics cards). Generally consoles don't have this kind of issue, though performance hasn't been very stable on many recent releases on consoles either. I have to use work-arounds just to get a stable framerate without sacrificing graphical quality.

Aug 1, 2010
clippen05 said:
MrDeckard said:
Poisoned Al said:
MrDeckard said:
1) The PS3 is the only console that isn't convenient. With my 360, I can pop in a game and be playing within seconds.

2) Consoles (at least in my experience) are far more reliable. No dicking around with settings. VERY few crashes. Will always run the game.
> 360, doesn't crash.

SEEMS LEGIT!

I have a 360. It's a crash happy pile of crap you lying fanboy scum!
I'm really not sure how to even respond to something like this...

First of all, I said that [i/][b/]IN MY EXPERIENCE.[/b][/i] This has nothing to do with [i/][b/]YOU'RE[/b][/i] experience.
Second, I NEVER said that my 360 "doesn't" crash. I said very few crashes.

Third, nice 4chan green text and 9gag meme response you got there.
Fourth........ really? Is even one iota of your post the least bit serious? Because if it is, I think you're on the wrong forum. And if it isn't serious..... You sir, need to lurk more.
In my experience, PC never crashes. In my experience, I'd say xbox crashes more often. It took me 4 days to get Assassins Creed Revelations running because my gamertag was corrupted on xbox. Doublestandard you have there; people can say can say whatever they want if they say "In my experience"
YES! THEY CAN! That is the entire POINT of having a personal experience! And it isn't any sort of double standard, as I never said that my PC crashing was anything but experience.

And, unless you are going purely on statistics, every opinion on reliability and such is just experience.

Sep 13, 2009
cyvaris said:
The Almighty Aardvark said:
That would be the case if the minimum system requirements for Skyrim didn't require a Dual Core 2.0 GHz processor. Unfortunately I'm not to savvy with graphics cards so I really don't have a good idea on how either of those would stack up. Also keep in mind that I was buying for a laptop (I'm sorry, I don't think I mentioned this in my first post) and I was buying it a year ago. The cheapest I could find then that could run it on minimum settings were in the $1200 range.
My system cost me a total of $800, monitor included, it was built two years ago, it runs Skyrim on Ultra at 60fps. Your argument is invalid.
*Sigh* No it isn't. I didn't say it wasn't possible, I said I wasn't able to. This was my first time buying a computer, as I mentioned before it was a laptop. And during the two week period I watched the site, Newegg didn't have ANY Laptops under $1200 that would be able to play it. If I was looking in the wrong places, which I doubt as I've heard people recommend Newegg quite often, then I guess that was my fault. It doesn't change the fact that I wasn't able to find one under that price last year.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Fappy said:
Crono1973 said:
Fappy said:

Its not that I can't run them, its that I can't run them very well or run into issues usually related to graphics card incompatibility, etc. For instance: I can't run Skyrim with Antialiasing or Anisotropic Filtering without getting a blinding graphics glitch when looking at light sources (bug introduced with latest patch related to certain graphics cards). Generally consoles don't have this kind of issue, though performance hasn't been very stable on many recent releases on consoles either. I have to use work-arounds just to get a stable framerate without sacrificing graphical quality.
I find that as long as I am running an NVidia card, I have few graphical problems as NVidia cards are always supported.

The PS3 version of Skyrim is an example of how powerless you are when a console game doesn't work properly.

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
Crono1973 said:
I Max95 said:
Crono1973 said:
I Max95 said:
the doom cannon said:
I Max95 said:
i can think of a benefit to console gaming, simplicity, every time i've ever played a game on PC i've had to tweak the settings, go through the installation process (which sometimes does not work for older titles) and hope to god it works.

the details for buying a new computer are endlessly complex same thing with graphics cards and if i play a game with incredibly toned down settings it's rendered unplayable not just through graphics but lag and frame rate.

plus all of my computers are pretty much piss poor, because i'm not at all well off with money. i work minimum wage and my parents don't have much in the way of disposable income, they bought me an xbox and a ps3 only because they were on sale at the time and i didn't already have either of them, but with computers if they were on sale i would'nt even know which computer to buy because of all the complicated details like graphical quality and processing power

and don't tell me my computer can handle it if i tone the setting down, no it fucking can't, i toned the graphics down COMEPLETELY for the free copy of Mass Effect 2 i got through some deal bioware had, and not only did it not work, it didn't even start, the game crashed before it made it to the main menu

with consoles you buy it and you know what it does, it plays games, you put a game in there and it WILL work, because that is specifically what the console was designed to do, there isn't a single chance it won't because all games created for it were designed with it's limitations in mind
You just validated Jim's point: that consoles are no longer JUST gaming devices, and are trying to become more like do-it-all computers and failing in the process.
i didn't say that at all, i was actually saying that the biggest benefit of console gaming is that it doesn't try very hard to be anything more than a gaming console, sure it has a DVD player in it but it never gets in the way of the gaming aspect of the technology

with computers, no, they have other functions than just gaming and odds are when a company makes a computer they don't entirely have gaming in mind and as such the gaming aspects of the rig suffer for it, there are gaming rigs but even those still have to deal with the keyboard, a device clearly not designed for gaming (the mouse works just fine, i just hate that i have to use the keyboard for everything else) and i haven't the slightest clue how to hook a controller up to my computer and i've been trying to for a while now

Maybe you have missed the 360 becoming an ad supported cable box? Maybe you missed the dashboard being changed to suit the ads and tv shows to the detriment of games?

I have to use the search function to find games on the Marketplace now but if I want to see an ad or watch something, that's easy to find.

LOL, this is a joke right? You hook a controller up via USB, the same way wired controllers work on the 360 and the same way the PS3 controllers work. I call BS on this, you know how to plug in a controller.
yeah well my xbox controllers are all wireless, and even if they weren't i see no reason why it would work with ANY game, maybe games made for the Xbox as well, but why would it be compatile with all of them.and even if it is that simple why should i care? my entire gaming setup is pretty much entirely console oriented for many reasons other than controller support

none of the ads bother me, and i have no trouble finding games, especially new releases for DLCs as those have ads on the dashboard right next to the video ads. and even if i have to use the search function, so what? it's typing something into a search bar, you've probably done it fifty times this week alone on your computer and tons of other devices, its a large game library, and a search function is as good a method of navigating it as any
You said you have been "trying for a while" to hook a controller up to your PC. That's BS because it's as simple as plugging in a USB cable and if you had truly been trying, you would have known that. What controller were you trying to plug in?

Many PC games are console ports and many just port their 360 controls right over, complete with graphic button prompts.

When I search on my computer, I have a keyboard. Much easier to search with a keyboard than with a controller but don't let facts get in the way of your bias. The ads SHOULD bother you, you are being monetized and if you pay for Live, you are paying to be monetized.
yeah, i prefer searching with a keyboard but is it really that important that your search go by quickly. like i said it's a big game library, older and not particularly popular titles just aren't going to be available straight from the dashboard, this is the same with EVERYTHING from games, to music to tv shows. if they didn't have a search function then finding the game you want would take even longer

i'll admit i did not know that you could simply plug an xbox controller in and be done with it, i thought you needed a special controller, so i got a special controller, and it didn't work no matter what i tried, so yes i've been trying to get a controller to work with a PC for a while now

so wait...let me get this straight, you are saying that i should make a conscious decision to be iritated with something that is in no way an inconvenience to me and does not do anything detrimental to MY gaming experience. how does that make sense?

you seem to be answering only to my less important points, how about the fact that my computer doesn't work for shit with recently released titles or particularly old ones. or the fact that upgrading or replacing computers is a pain in the ass and requires technical savy i just don't have. even if you convince me that ads are inconvenient or Xbox controllers work
for PC i'd still have plenty of reasons to prefer Consoles

SnowBurst

Jul 2, 2012
seriously its taken what 7 years to figure out consoles are only smaller and less powerfull pc's? wow... and their only worse because you cant upgrade them but they only do games so they dont need to be updated 3200 times a year so "worse" is up for debate to what you want tbh

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
I know someone's probably already said it, but so basically, the Wii is the last real console?

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
I love Morrowind, on the xbox it was hard to get into, very hard. But the game was awesome. I love it. On PC, you mod it to death and it loses what it is. Its to easy to click god mode and the game is ruined. Not saying we would all do this, just if you replayed the same part of a game 5 times, you would click god mood just to get past that area and continue with the story. My time with Morrowind on xbox was awesome, Morrowind on the PC wasnt as interesting at all.
That's simply not true. Yes, there are mods that change the game a lot but nobody said you have to download them. There are modifications that simply improve what the game was trying to do and did it in a very bad way. It makes the game the way it was meant to be in the start, but couldn't due to the technical limitations at the time.

NinthPlanet86

Feb 10, 2012
Poisoned Al said:
Yes, well done console owners for perpetuating the stereotype for being clearly too fucking stupid or lazy to read. If you had stopped gumming your controller for five minutes to read even a part of this thread, you would have realised that the "constant upgrade" argument has been brought up then slapped down time and again.
I apologise for not reading the whole thread before posting. I don't believe that quite justifies your post's combative tone, however.

How often do you upgrade your PC? Do you buy the highest spec PC available and make it last? Me personally, I purchase a mid-range laptop/PC and accept that it won't be up to much gaming. Then again, I'm a very casual gamer and often play them on the easiest difficulty...

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
juyunseen said:
I know someone's probably already said it, but so basically, the Wii is the last real console?
Exactly, which is ironically why the Wii U will end up a reasonable success. Xbox, Ps3 and PCs are all competing together and PC is obviously better, especially since the other two are squandering any advantages they might have to be more like it. Nintendo's stuff have carved out a niche, in the Wii U thread a while ago plenty of PC enthusiasts vouched they'd be getting the Wii U simply for its uniqueness and that it wasn't a crappy pc.

So yeah the Wii is the last console and Nintendo better smarten up and take advantage of it.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Not all PC games let you use a controller.

Hell I bought Mass Effect 2 and 3 for the PS3, when my computer is much more powerful, simply because Bioware is an ass that doesn't let you use a controller on the PC. And odds are I'm going to have to play Dragon Age 3 on my PS3 for the very same reason.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
the fanboys are assembled......i do like being able to trade games, but they like bleed the money from us with there 10 doller online pass, but thats not with all developers (but it will grow though)...when was the last pc exclusive game..other then ''error 37''... hard reset?

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Kmadden2004 said:
I fully expect an animated GIF of Jim's exercise regime to be somebody's forum avatar by the end of the week...
Not like that's bad. It just means the forums are about to get a little bit sexier.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Maxtro said:

Hell I bought Mass Effect 2 and 3 for the PS3, when my computer is much more powerful, simply because Bioware is an ass that doesn't let you use a controller on the PC. And odds are I'm going to have to play Dragon Age 3 on my PS3 for the very same reason.
Well, the reason for that isn't lack of support, its the interface in the game. I've got all three ME games on PC and Xbox360, trust me, the difference in the interface layout is like night and day. Same goes for Dragon Age II.

Jigero

Apr 15, 2011
xshadowscreamx said:
the fanboys are assembled......i do like being able to trade games, but they like bleed the money from us with there 10 doller online pass, but thats not with all developers (but it will grow though)...when was the last pc exclusive game..other then ''error 37''... hard reset?
PC's usually has more exclusives then consoles do. PC had almost 3 times the amount of exclusives then the 360 and about as much as the PS3 last year.

cyvaris said:
That would be the case if the minimum system requirements for Skyrim didn't require a Dual Core 2.0 GHz processor. Unfortunately I'm not to savvy with graphics cards so I really don't have a good idea on how either of those would stack up. Also keep in mind that I was buying for a laptop (I'm sorry, I don't think I mentioned this in my first post) and I was buying it a year ago. The cheapest I could find then that could run it on minimum settings were in the $1200 range.
My system cost me a total of $800, monitor included, it was built two years ago, it runs Skyrim on Ultra at 60fps. Your argument is invalid.
*Sigh* No it isn't. I didn't say it wasn't possible, I said I wasn't able to. This was my first time buying a computer, as I mentioned before it was a laptop. And during the two week period I watched the site, Newegg didn't have ANY Laptops under $1200 that would be able to play it. If I was looking in the wrong places, which I doubt as I've heard people recommend Newegg quite often, then I guess that was my fault. It doesn't change the fact that I wasn't able to find one under that price last year.
That because you where trying to buy a gaming laptop. Never buy pre built computers especially gaming laptops.

And no putting a computer together your self is not hard, If you have enough brains to assemble a lego kit you can assemble a PC.

seriously why does it seem the only people against PC gaming, are the people who absolutely know nothing about PC gaming.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Maxtro said:

The larger problem evident here, is that you keep giving money to EA for some reason.

OT: I know for a fact my PC will last longer than a console generation and still kick ass. Sure, it cost a shitload more than RRODbox or the other singularly useless device, but you do end up getting what you pay for.

Oh also I can run Skyrim on surround with ultra settings without my rig having a seizure.