Jimquisition: Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Waaghpowa said:
Also kudos for showing Tribes when you mentioned free online games. Have you given Blacklight Retribution a try? It's not bad.
I love Blacklight. Reviewed it for Destructoid, put it on par with the best this generation's shooters have to offer. It's pretty much my basis for realizing that the $60 + DLC model is going to be humiliated in a matter of years.
I played the beta, and had trouble getting into it at first. Then I started getting the hang of their strange recoil and started using HRV more. Game got so much better after that. My only complaint is their pricing. I don't want to buy an item for 1 or 3 days >_>.

I also need to remind myself to visit Destructoid more often.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Hazy992 said:
gphjr14 said:
If it wasn't for the cost of constantly upgrading the hardware I'd be more inclined to use my PC for gaming.
But you don't. Buy a mid range rig and it'll vastly outperform the current gen consoles
But seeing how I already have a console and computer it doesn't seem like its worth it right now. Plus it seems like the games I like are delayed for the PC.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Look, I enjoy PC gaming from time to time, but to say you can't think of anything that makes consoles better than PCs in any way? How about the fact that when I install a $50 game on my PC, it more often then not requires me to spend 1-3 hours getting the damn thing to run on my stupid PC because whatever they used doesn't conform to my sound/video/processor of choice.
Something is terribly wrong with your PC. I've never spent more then ten minutes to run any game that came out more then 5 years ago. Never. I've spent about 3 ours downloading and installing all Morrowind mods I wanted to have in-game and then setting up the graphics, but 90% of modern $50 titles are just installed and then launched in 10 minutes maximum.

Well, this is so if you use Windows. With Linux/Mac there may be rather hard procedures to run something if it has no Linux/Mac version.

But seeing how I already have a console and computer it doesn't seem like its worth it right now. Plus it seems like the games I like are delayed for the PC.
Only because consoles are primary for the developers cause publishers tend to think they'll get more money out of them.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Hazy992 said:
gphjr14 said:
If it wasn't for the cost of constantly upgrading the hardware I'd be more inclined to use my PC for gaming.
But you don't. Buy a mid range rig and it'll vastly outperform the current gen consoles
And it'll probably outperform the next gen at launch. or be VERY close. At launch. A console needs a life cycle of several years.
Exactly, and if it doesn't just turn down the settings a bit or upgrade and sell the old parts. Then you won't have to worry about it

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
In my experience console gaming is still easier than PC gaming. I don't have to deal with 20 minute updates since I don't have a PS3 and it's not really that often I find I have to enter a code for anything, and even when I do I don't find it too much trouble to do. But when I get a console game I'm safe in the knowledge that it will run properly. In that sense buying a PC game is always a bit of a gamble. I also just find it more comfortable to play on console, but that's just how I sit with my laptop vs. sitting watching my TV. Although I'll agree that apart from DRM (which isn't really that big a deal anyway) the anti-consumer shit that console game publishers force on us is far worse.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
gphjr14 said:
Hazy992 said:
gphjr14 said:
That's fair enough, but the idea you need to constantly need to upgrade simply isn't true

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Maybe they didn't start out as crap PCs once upon a time, but these days? Yeah, I have a feeling the next PS and Xbox will do the PC thing.

And I'm inclined to wonder why I even bother with consoles anymore.

Oh yeah, it's what my friends play. Most of them don't have gaming rigs.

That's it. Right now, that is the ONLY reason I have,
Well, there ARE some good exclusives on the consoles, I'll give 'em that.

CAPTCHA:

sky's the limit

GamerFromJump

Sep 28, 2009
More accurate would be to say that a PC is an overpriced console with no guarantee of functionality. How much do you have to spend to make it so that you don't have to turn off features to make the game function? And then there's the DRM...

HostileParadox

Apr 25, 2011
I'm kind of surprised the issue of resale was not even mentioned. The fact that you actually own and are free to resell your copy of games you do not play/like anymore.

LG Jargon

Feb 9, 2012
I love you, Jim.

"No homo?"

ALL THE HOMOS!

Captcha: face the music....Hmm...Wonder what it meant by that.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
I'm a consold gamer but he's right. If I had the money I'd use my pc. My one saving grace is gamefly. Once the game go all digital I'll most likly ditch the consold. Sad fact is consold use to be put in and play.

I also have to admit skyrim seems more fun on consold there are some cool mods out there and pc fix have pretty much fix ever bug in the game.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
meganmeave said:
Because of the boring conformity, at least I know my games will be compatible with my 360 or PS3. And yes, I love mods, but I can at least see this as being a benefit to boring old console gaming.
But that's not even the case anymore. Have you ever tried playing a Bethesda game on the ps3 at any point near launch? They're usually unplayable for at least a few months and there's nothing you can do about it. At least with a PC, you can do some research and fix it yourself.

I've been saying this for a while: that consoles have adapted all of the annoyances of PC gaming without any of the benefits. And for all of the reasons stated in the video, I'm probably just going to skip the next gen of consoles. It's kind of become pointless.

And also look at the effort MS & Sony put into their consoles; we got one with great firmware support but hardware that was defective for most of this console cycle and a rising fee to play online, and you got a machine that's well built but receives the worst firmware and 3rd party support.

Really the only benefit to console gaming is that there are slightly (only slightly) more titles with split-screen but most developers are doing away with the feature so by next gen I'm betting that any game on the consoles with split-screen will probably also have it on the pc version.

nintendo414

Wakaman
Mar 16, 2010
I go where the jrpgs go. In that case, consoles win. Other than the occasion f2p mmo, I just don't play anything on my computer. I don't have to worry that my console has the right specs to play or how to install a new part or anything like that. I only have a little laptop that can't handle all the fancy graphics or run anything too big and I'm unemployed so I can't afford a new pc or parts to mod it. I'll stick to consoles until they stop making games I enjoy. As for pc games I'll stick with visual novels and a few other things. One last thing, In the argument of drm and things like I just don't buy games that offer this (luckily the games I play don't have drm so far) I have no problem waiting for a ps3 game to patch, and as for modding, I don't have to worry about messing something up.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
I thought this stuff was common knowledge already?

Oh well.

Great job on representing your points, Jim!

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
HostileParadox said:
I'm kind of surprised the issue of resale was not even mentioned. The fact that you actually own and are free to resell your copy of games you do not play/like anymore.
That only matters if you're not already paying a ton more for the game. If you're nabbing things 50% off or better on Steam/GOG consistently, it more than makes up for the inability to resell the games later.

As an added bonus, older games actually get cheaper over time. Nintendo is really the only big offender here, but it's somewhat annoying to see three year old games stubbornly clinging to a $30 or greater price tag. For PC most hit $20 within a year or so, and Steam tends to run deals for $10 or less on most major games within two years of release.

The only big offender I can think of for the PC here is Blizzard. I'm sorry Blizzard, but if I wanted to pay $60 for Starcraft II I would have done so two years ago. If I wanted to pay $40 for Warcraft III I would have done so a DECADE ago.

Ultimace

Apr 3, 2010
The Just Cause 2 multiplayer mod had open beta this past weekend. Had over 600 people on one server partly for stress testing, amazingly the game ran rather well. One of the few multiplayer experiences where I've had a constant smile on my face, so much fun. Long live PC gaming.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Congratulations Mr. Sterling. You've just made a video stating essentially what I've stated ON THIS FORUM several times since 2009. The only difference is that you've got your own webshow that takes inspiration from MovieBob and everyone listens to you and nobody listens to me. ...ever.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
The only thing that consoles still do better then PCs is local multiplayer but that seems a dying genre, which is a shame.

cornmancer

Dec 7, 2009
Other than consoles never having to deal with being able to run a game or not, I too can see no reason.
Oh wait, Demon's Souls.

edit: ^And that. Local multiplayer = best multiplayer. Though I've never tried LAN, so who knows.