Jimquisition: Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
meganmeave said:
Look, I enjoy PC gaming from time to time, but to say you can't think of anything that makes consoles better than PCs in any way? How about the fact that when I install a $50 game on my PC, it more often then not requires me to spend 1-3 hours getting the damn thing to run on my stupid PC because whatever they used doesn't conform to my sound/video/processor of choice.

Because of the boring conformity, at least I know my games will be compatible with my 360 or PS3. And yes, I love mods, but I can at least see this as being a benefit to boring old console gaming.
This'd be the main reason I love my consoles. I don't need to buy new bits and bobs for it every year. Cause guess what? Parts are expensive. :)

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
You know, I was going to respond to two of the more retarded posts on this topic, but I'm going to avoid it. I'll just assume they're trolls rather than assume they're just idiots.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
lord.jeff said:
The only thing that consoles still do better then PCs is local multiplayer.
Only if you like shooters. I think shooters are the only game type that still consistently include splitscreen coop. The most recent Burnout game didn't, which was rather frustrating.

As for the shitstorm: My Captcha is "take an umbrella" which seems to indicate it will happen.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
My brother and I got a PS3 when the price hit $250. I got to keep the Wii when we moved out and separated. During one point I got TF2 and some old PS2 games on my laptop. While I need the PS3 for more recent AAA games, I've been going along just fine with just my Wii and laptop, and with the WiiU coming out, I might not even need the PS3 anymore. And unless the PS4/Nextbox comes along and offers me free hookers and unlimited cheese fries, I don't see what benefit it'd give me over a simple WiiU/PC combo.

People say Nintendo is stupid or kiddy or gimmicky, but they seem to be the only console maker that is actually trying to make a console. MS and Sony saw the advantages of PC gaming and tried to have all the perks for the businessmen with none of the benefits to the consumer. And the two systems are showing their age.

PC Gaming still has a ton of problems, but yes, consoles are stating to catch up. The PS3's neverending firmware updates and Sony's war on backwards compatibility, and Microsoft's subscription for online, I don't feel any incentive to get their successors. The Wii has managed to at least justify its existence on my shelf with enough games (yes, they do in fact exist) and while it had some shortcomings, it was more a "I kinda wish I had that" shortcoming and not "WHY DO THEY HAVE THIS BULLSHIT?!" failure I've seen on the other consoles.

It's kinda sad that the Wii's greatest benefits are what the people using it don't have to put up with. And local multiplayer actually exists on the Wii. There's that as well. And backwards compatibility.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I've been saying for awhile that the only benefit that consoles have over the pc is the ability to resell games, I suppose a minor benefit is plug in and play but you can't really do that on the ps3 since everything seems to like to install.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
meganmeave said:
Look, I enjoy PC gaming from time to time, but to say you can't think of anything that makes consoles better than PCs in any way? How about the fact that when I install a $50 game on my PC, it more often then not requires me to spend 1-3 hours getting the damn thing to run on my stupid PC because whatever they used doesn't conform to my sound/video/processor of choice.

Because of the boring conformity, at least I know my games will be compatible with my 360 or PS3. And yes, I love mods, but I can at least see this as being a benefit to boring old console gaming.
Simply keeping your drivers up to date, installing the directx and etc updates that come with games, and assuming you have a pc with somewhat capable hardware, 90% of games should be install and play.

Most games i have problems with are games that are modded out the wazoo like skyrim and arma 2, mod or bugs in general.

But getting games to run even with my month old video driver and probably 3 or 4 month old audio driver, always got net framework installed since so much junk requires it, c+,c++,c+++ etc is usually already installed from other games, indy games might require java or flash updates, but really most of the times just doing a few things here and there is all you need for pc games.

Evilpigeon

Feb 24, 2011
Why does the comment about upgrades come up so much? It's not even true. If you started off with a good pc at the beginning of the xbox/ ps3 era you'd have needed to upgrade what, twice to keep ahead.

I upgrade because I like playing around with the machine and tinkering to get the most out of my pc but my last desktop, bought four years ago still runs everything. Maybe not on tip top settings anymore but it'll still outperform either console.

If you're willing to put in the small amount of time needed to keep everything up to date and working properly then you have a device that's just better.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Am I the only one who isn't bothered or really affected by all the humdrum things that annoy gamers? I've never been bothered by updates. I'm completely open to playing PC games (although not many of them interest me) and out of all the reasons to own different consoles I would think that exclusives would be one of them.

Can we pull out the perspective of the pauper gamer? I work at a computer store and most of the customers that come to get their pc's fixed are still using Windows Xp and many of them have bite sized harddrives. And the ones that are decent and new are family PCs. stuffed to the brim with random software that every family member installed, downloaded, or torrented from random places.

As far as I can see it. A gaming PC is a console because anyone that bothers to have a decked out computer to play the latest game isn't going to want it bogged down with adware you're mom downloaded in an attempt to get free coupons online.

This really sounds like a mainstream gaming problem. I don't buy two thirds the games people play and get excited about so this is like the issue that never was. Has anyone considered that perhaps that is the real problem? That despite all this groaning and fighting we are still pawns to the plans of others?

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Thank goodness Nintendo isn't all about "graphixxx" so all that mandatory update bullshit doesn't effect me.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Sure that's all true but to implement all those advantages you still have to be some sort of nerd to get it going. Consoles are still the easiest way to go. Give a ten year old all the necessary equipment to achieve what you described on the PC and they wouldn't know where to start. I don't know how to hook up my PC to a TV, connect a controller to a PC, or handle all the computer specs stuff. All that is another barrier.

I don't know what's it like on the PS3, but besides online passes, the Xbox 360 is still very straight forward buy the game and you play when you get home. Yes, mods are the holy grail, but navigating the computer system is still way harder than an Xbox.

Xbox has a simpler set up and attract more of the general population. Sure PC is a step up, but you would have to level up yourself to get there.

PCs are great, but there is a reason why all my friends have Xbox Live. Like Weed is Xbox 360 and Cocaine is PC. You start with Weed first and graduate if you are really trying to reach the clouds.

cornmancer

Dec 7, 2009
Roofstone said:
meganmeave said:

This'd be the main reason I love my consoles. I don't need to buy new bits and bobs for it every year. Cause guess what? Parts are expensive. :)
I own a halfway decent laptop from 2010, and it'll run Skyrim on high. It gets hot as hell, but it can do it. This shit about constant upgrades is false.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Roofstone said:
meganmeave said:

...built my gaming rig in 2007, last time I put a part in it was 2008, and that was a storage hard drive. It still plays brand new games, albeit at medium settings. If you build a midrange gaming rig every 5 to 6 years, you keep up fine.

As for advantages consoles still have... there is the barrier to entry that is knowledge about the machine. Consoles still do the "plug in and just work" thing better than PCs, though that may not be for too much longer. In either case if you break it (the software, anyway), you can fix it yourself with a little know-how, or you can get soaked for a ridiculous repair bill if you know nothing about it.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
Before I would have argued that consoles give me a simple guarantee of at least half a decade or so of gaming where I can play most of the modern games without needing to spare a thought on buying updates or juggling installs. While the security measures and such annoy me a little (I don't play online so I haven't had to do more than enter a product code on the Xbox for a game) it's the DLC that frustrates me now. Originally it seemed like it'd be a handy means of delivering hefty expansions for games that aren't necessarily ready for fully-blown sequels. Nowadays it's an excuse to sell us parts of our games. In a lot of cases it's not enough to buy a game at or near launch to own it in its entirety (Saints Row 3 for example), you have to buy the DLC for -all- of it. When I purchase a new game, I want to be able to access all aspects of its universe. I've really come to hate how parts of the story are held back from me in small but altogether costly DLC packs. It feels less like DLC allows for an eventual big expansion for each game and more like an annoying thief swiping parts of the story from me and then charging me to see them.

To preempt anyone, I understand that a lot of DLC is technically new and isn't necessarily developed as part of the 'core game', but it's my preference that the core game should be sold as a complete experience. I'd prefer it if companies expanded the core game in big and substantial DLC like DA:Awakening or Shivering Isles, where they're entirely new experiences and games in their own rights, not just small but pricy extras that make the core game feel like an incomplete experience. The Morrigan DLC in DA:O is an example of how annoying this can be. My character romanced Morrigan, so reaching closure with her would be an important part of my experience of the story. Instead of this being part of the 'core game', it was moved into a pricy, brief and essentially dull download. I had to pay money to access a tiny but important moment of the story (Not to say the moment was good either). Not buying it felt like holding myself back from finishing the game in its entirety. Now, I wouldn't be as annoyed if finding Morrigan was part of a fully fleshed out expansion that felt like its own game, but it wasn't. It was a small but important part of the story that could've been in the core game that I had to pay extra for. It's not simple, it's not convenient, it's not budget friendly and if you love experiencing game stories like I do (including their small details), it can be a real nightmare.

That being said, despite my many problems with consoles as long as they make couch co-op available so I can play with my partner and friends I'll likely be buying at least one every generation. My best gaming experiences are had that way and that's really something I'm not willing to give up.

Edit: To clarify I'm aware that PC gaming also has this problem. It's just that I miss not having to feel like I was missing out on small parts of the story because I don't want to pay for pricy DLC, a problem I never used to have with consoles.

cornmancer

Dec 7, 2009
UsefulPlayer 1 said:
Sure that's all true but to implement all those advantages you still have to be some sort of nerd to get it going. Consoles are still the easiest way to go. Give a ten year old all the necessary equipment to achieve what you described on the PC and they wouldn't know where to start. I don't know how to hook up my PC to a TV, connect a controller to a PC, or handle all the computer specs stuff. All that is another barrier.

I don't know what's it like on the PS3, but besides online passes, the Xbox 360 is still very straight forward buy the game and you play when you get home. Yes, mods are the holy grail, but navigating the computer system is still way harder than an Xbox.

Xbox has a simpler set up and attract more of the general population. Sure PC is a step up, but you would have to level up yourself to get there.

PCs are great, but there is a reason why all my friends have Xbox Live. Like Weed is Xbox 360 and Cocaine is PC. You start with Weed first and graduate if you are really trying to reach the clouds.
To hook a PC up to the TV you put one end of the HDMI cord in the computer, and the other into the PC.
To hook a controller up to the PC, you put one end of the charger cord in the USB port on your computer, and one in the controller.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Calibanbutcher said:
A shitstorm is coming.
I blew $300 on my Xbox....how the fuck is that not a good investment?

The reason I get a console is for simplicity in gaming, to simply pop in a game and play it on my couch. PC's don't allow the same thing a console does.

MrRaggaedeman

Nov 18, 2009
Can someone answer me one Question? What was that Hard Reset footage in the Video? I have played the game several times on various difficulties but the stuff in the video is completly unknown to me

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
cornmancer said:
UsefulPlayer 1 said:

To hook a PC up to the TV you put one end of the HDMI cord in the computer, and the other into the PC.
To hook a controller up to the PC, you put one end of the charger cord in the USB port on your computer, and one in the controller.
Thats not his point at all. His point is about accessibilty. Consoles allow the straight forward ability to play games first. PC's have gaming ability and then alot more which can be distracting when trying to advertise a game.

Yes mods are god-like, but I much prefer the quick and easy access of my Xbox than my PC.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
cornmancer said:
UsefulPlayer 1 said:

It isn't as cut and dry as you think for controllers. Xbox yes because of windows but to hook up my ps3 controller I had to download 2 different softwares and edit them.