Jimquisition: Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

RooksEye

Mar 17, 2009
As someone who only recently got a PC worth anything, I have to agree. PC is just the better deal. I mean, I can customize my rig in nearly infinite ways and getting games is a simple as logging into Steam/GOG/etc. Plus, 9 out of 10 times, games are cheaper on PC than on consoles. I will still keep my 360 and PS3, but I may not get the next generation on consoles and just upgrade my PC once every couple of years.

Aerograt

Jan 7, 2011
Honestly, the only reason I still play my 360 is because of Halo Reach, and soon to be Halo 4.

Sep 13, 2009
Bigsmith said:
thanatos388 said:
Um...pcs are expensive and require upgrades to the pc itself to play new games. They are still a bigger hassle. That outweighs anything a pc can do as most gamers wont spend 15000 dollars to have higher definition graphics that add fuck all to the game itself.
I WAS WAITING FOR THIS.

I have a very basic system, it's almost 6 years old. Was refurbished when it was bought for me (So we're probably looking onto about 8 now), I've spent about £30 on second hand hardware (Yes it does exist) and about £40 on some new Ram.

The computer was £200 to start with. Oh and last time I checked I was playing Mass effect 3 (It's just an example of a recent game) on medium graphical settings.

So what, it's cost me about £270 and I'm still a head of current gen consoles.

So I dare someone to run up to me and say that you need to spend thousands of pounds/ dollars to get a decent gaming computer.

Oh also, I completely agree with everything said in this video. :3
And everyone who owns a console is going to be able to find a PC at even a fraction of that value? Just a year ago I spent a couple of weeks looking on Newegg for a computer that could run most PC games and I could not find one that could run a Skyrim level game on lower settings for under $1200. Which, including warranty, taxes and everything else probably costs at least $1400. And that's on LOWER settings. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I don't think it's likely that anyone is dishing out enough $1500 computers at a $200 value for everyone who wants one to be able to buy one.

There's a couple big areas other than cost where I prefer consoles. First of all, having a controller with analog sticks, it makes a huge difference for me, especially in games where movement is very important. Dark Souls is a game that I would have so much issue playing with a mouse and keyboard. Unfortunately as many people have said this point is kind of moot, as you can buy controllers for computers.

However, one that still does hold up is local multiplayer, which is sadly an area of gaming that isn't getting nearly as much attention anymore. Online gaming is alright, but often when I have friends over, or am at a friends house I want to play a game with them face to face. Super Smash Bros, Gears of War, Halo, all games that I much prefer to play with people in the same room. You could argue that you can do that with computers, but that's counting on everyone not only owning a computer and the game, but also having lugged their set up over to your place. Which having tried to do several times in the past, usually ends up being a massive hassle that doesn't work out (I have several rather unreliable friends). And what happens when it doesn't work out? We plug in the one Wii and play Super Smash Bros

disappointed

Sep 14, 2011
Gotta put in a couple of standard responses here regarding the cost of PC vs. console.

Firstly, Windows costs $100. It just does, there's no legal way around it. That is the absolute minimum a PC can cost. The remaining hardware comes to at least $200. But that's not comparing like for like because someone who would buy a console would not build their own PC. Compare the cheapest gaming PC Dell sells with the best Xbox deal on, say, Amazon. That's your price comparison.

Secondly, we don't all have PCs any more. To be precise, we don't all have desktop PCs. Laptops are much more popular as home machines these days. A laptop is not a gaming PC, not for under $1000 anyway. The difference in price between a laptop and a gaming laptop is far more than the cost of a brand new console. Plus, smartphones and tablets can completely eliminate the need for a PC for a lot of people.

My point is that PC gaming can work out well financially but in general it doesn't.

Also, while consoles are more of a pain to use than they should be these days, PCs are still significantly worse, what with drivers, anti-virus, DRM, GFWL and so on.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
Plutar said:
Jim Sterling said:
Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

They were cheaper, easier to use, more convenient.
Last I checked, consoles were still cheaper than gaming PC's.
Not picking on you, only making this point because yours was the first comment i saw to make THAT argument...

Console gaming is not cheaper then pc gaming, that is an idea that is bread into the minds of people and i hate it...

A decent gaming rig like mine will set you back about £500-£600 (assuming your going to use your tv as a monitor like you do your xbox / ps3) My pc is now 4 going on 5 years old now and still plays anything out on par if not better then the console counter part. Lets say you own an xbox 360... again i can only use myself as example... ive had my current xbox for 3 years that cost me £250 at the time, my first one cost me £120 that died so off the bat that's £370 on the console its self. 4 years of xbox live (yes im aware this does not apply to ps3 users) at around £35 on average in the uk = £140 then lets take into account the extra £15 on average console games cost more then the pc version... at the moment i have 13 xbox games (ive had more but got rid of them) so that's 13 games that cost me £195 more in total then they would have on the pc... all in all that's £705 ive spent on my console over its 4 going on 5 year cycle... consoles are a cheaper short term solution but in the long run there damn expensive -__-

of course my argument does not apply for the kids who's parents spend money on all their games / xbox subscriptions, im only assuming were grown ups here that and of course you own a 360... but even taking off the subscription, its still a lot of money for what is a shit pc

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Wait a minute, that crap about 30 min updates on consoles is real?
I thought that it was just some isolated cases not happening constantly.
So they took away the only advantage of consoles (that you can simply plug and play them) and gave nothing in return?
AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Good that my last experience with consoles ended with Sega Genesis :D
Since then nothing but PC.

P.S. And before someone starts talking about consoles being cheaper, remember that world isn't limited to US. Here PS3-80Gb and X360-Elite costs 450-500$ and I can build decent gaming rig that overpowers consoles by all parameters spending the same amount of money :p

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
saintdane05 said:
Calibanbutcher said:
A shitstorm is coming.
I smell a bunch of assholes yelling at us for our taste coming. They will come at me soon.

Please... I like the Wii... don't kill me...
Why would anyone kill you. If I buy a game on the console I don't want to have to patch it. I don't recall patching and games on the wii. I have had no game breaking bugs on wii games. They might be out there but I haven't gotten one. Now Xbox games. I have played constantly needing patched xbox games. And for that I need to move my xbox somewhere to get internet to it. Or buy parts for it. Thats the point where I like PC games. If I know its ganna need a patch or internet. Super mario galaxy didn't need a patch. Neither did smash brothers but I think they did anyway...

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
While yes, a PS3 and 360 are $250 systems, do you remember their launch prices for the best version (versions that look silly today)? Those things set you back $400-$600. The only reason I've been a console gamer is because the ease of use, but as Jim has pointed out, that concept is slowly going out the window. With the next set of consoles over the horizon the cost of those systems will probably be just as bad as the 360/PS3 launch.

That is why when the next set of consoles are finally out, I will be looking at building my first PC rig for gaming as well as getting a WiiU somewhere down the line. Why? Because console games do look good, but I have seen 5 year old PC mods that blow consoles out of the water. I have never been that interested in either PS3/360 exclusive titles and noticed that all of the games I'm interested in have also seen PC releases.

And why the WiiU? because the WiiU is offering me something the PC can't (or hasn't done well). I can't get a bunch of buddies of mine to sit around my computer. That is the other problem I have: consoles have pretty much given up on same system multiplayer. That is one of the things that made consoles not PCs and at this point Nintendo is the only one pointing in that direction.

Yes, the start price to get into the console race is going to be about $700 for a decent rig, That is pretty much what I'm expecting PS4 and Nextbox to be releasing at. And what will I do for watching movies with other people? I still got my PS3, so I can still do 3D Bluray which is looking to be the epitome of media.

When I want to play multiplayer games, I'll play on my WiiU. If I want to play single player games, I'll play on my Personal Computer.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Bigsmith said:
thanatos388 said:
Um...pcs are expensive and require upgrades to the pc itself to play new games. They are still a bigger hassle. That outweighs anything a pc can do as most gamers wont spend 15000 dollars to have higher definition graphics that add fuck all to the game itself.
I WAS WAITING FOR THIS.

I have a very basic system, it's almost 6 years old. Was refurbished when it was bought for me (So we're probably looking onto about 8 now), I've spent about £30 on second hand hardware (Yes it does exist) and about £40 on some new Ram.

The computer was £200 to start with. Oh and last time I checked I was playing Mass effect 3 (It's just an example of a recent game) on medium graphical settings.

So what, it's cost me about £270 and I'm still a head of current gen consoles.

So I dare someone to run up to me and say that you need to spend thousands of pounds/ dollars to get a decent gaming computer.

Oh also, I completely agree with everything said in this video. :3
Yeah.

You must've gotten lucky cos my computer can't run stuff that was released just a couple of years after it. Even stuff around the same time it struggles with, and it's not like it was a cheap piece of shit.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I don't agree with what he said about not being able to play a game that was released a few years ago on a PC. You can find out how to run an old game on the first results page of a Google search.
If fact, what I see as one of the many advantages of PC Gaming, is that while I have to buy a new PC every 5 years or so, every PC game that I ever played (My first PC had a 486 CPU), is playable either by a fix for old Windows games or DOSBox for old DOS games.

In the previous generation of consoles, I understood why some preferred consoles because it's very convenient to just insert the disc and play (Although loading times are a *****) without having to patch and configure the game beforehand. On this generation, this isn't the case.

ForensicYOYO

Jun 12, 2010
If I want to play all my PC games with a controller do I have to set the button controls every time?

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Diegolomac said:
Well, in... erm... "developing" countries like Brazil it's impossible to have quality pc gaming because a good pc here costs almost 4 months salary for the average person. A console costs a bit less than one month so it's a lot more acessible, even though it's still freaking expensive.
Not really, a PS3 costs around R$1000, for this price or a little more you can build a good gaming PC (without the monitor). However, you'll probably need to have a PC anyway, so the real price is what is needed to upgrade a common PC to run games (which usually means a graphics card and maybe a new power source), which costs much less than a console.

Also, even if you spend a little more building the PC, you'll get the difference back and more just by buying games much cheaper. Console games are becoming less expensive here in Brazil, but it's still much better to buy AAA games in Steam sales than buying the console version.

I bought Assassin's Creed I for 6 dollars, ACII for around 10 dollars. Mass Effect 2: 12 dollars, Bioshock, 6 dollars, and so on. The cheaper you'll find the console versions of these old games on stores here is about R$50, which is about 4 times more expensive than I paid for the PC versions. And even newer games come down in price in just a few months, compared with the pricing of games in stores here which is crazy (Dragon Age 2 is old and it's still priced around R$200 in most places, unfortunately it's not available on Steam anymore but even on Origin it costs about R$50).

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Slightly disappointed by the first page and lack of mudslinging therein.
I haven't read the last few pages though...

In any case I have got to agree with Jim. At the start of this console generation it was all a lot better it seemed, but slowly I have started using my consoles a lot less for all the reasons Jim mentioned and more. Not to mention that if a game is on console an on PC, the game is a lot cheaper on PC.
A few years ago we hooked up a fairly powerful PC to the TV along with our consoles and it gets used more than the consoles do now.

The only downside I have noticed from this practice is that few PC games offer local multiplayer. There are a bunch that do, but not nearly as many as on console.
It's been years since PC games started supporting controllers. Right about the time when devs stopped making actual PC titles and just started porting over the console titles.
So I guess that was one upside to a downside. In fact I don't know any mates who don't own a controller for their PC if they play games.

Though all of this just makes me even angrier at that stupid Phil Fish for not releasing Fez on PC because "the game is meant to be played on a couch" (I can't write that without faceplaming myself). I use my PC on a couch. What now mofo?

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
It does surprise me that console gamers are actually willing to defend the fact they get screwed over.

There aren't many PC gamers that like what happens with the consoles, that's part of the reason they choose to opt out of it and play PC games instead. It baffles me as to why people directly affected by these issues (The consoles gamers themselves) don't care more about these issues.

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
gphjr14 said:
If it wasn't for the cost of constantly upgrading the hardware I'd be more inclined to use my PC for gaming.
I love when this old chestnut gets rolled out. Because most PC games are held back to be compatible with the seven year old box of shit under your TV, upgrades have slowed to a crawl. You can now go three or four years now without touching the inside of your PC (tho you should clean it now and then you know) and still play the newest games. When you do have to upgrade, you usually don't have to buy the newest cards. Actually it's best not to because older cards are smaller, cooler and less power hungry was well as cheaper as the tech is less bleeding edge.

So the biggest and most tired argument rolled out by a console-tard has been rendered moot their own geriatric machines.

Besides, the money you save on games more then covers the cost of even a powerful PC over time. Remember, a lot of games now are free to play (and not pay to win, they HAVE learned that) or stupidly cheap if you wait a few months.

I have a 360. It plays Netflix and DVDs. That's it. There's a Wii somewhere around here too but fuck knows where that has gone (I think my brother has it), not that I care.

I have a so-so gaming rig (good but not a ninja machine) that I do my work on, play games and have hooked up to my TV. I even got a wireless 360 pad (an extra one I bought for the actual 360 and was never used) so I can play all the 3rd person games I like. If you avoid Ubisoft games (seriously, fuck you you French fucks) DRM is rarely a problem now if you get your games from digital download sites.

With Microsoft and Sony clearly sitting on their hands and the Wii U looking like the DreamCast 2, PC gaming seems the safer bet for the next few years IMO.

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
MonkeyPunch said:
The only downside I have noticed from this practice is that few PC games offer local multiplayer. There are a bunch that do, but not nearly as many as on console.
By "console" you mean "The Wii." I mentioned before I bought a second 360 controller and never used it. I can't think of any of my 360 games that used split screen, hell, or even LAN. Just the screeching monkey house that is Xbox Live. You had to give MS money for Xbox Live or you get to eat shit, even if your friend was sitting next to you.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
daxterx2005 said:
Thank goodness Nintendo isn't all about "graphixxx" so all that mandatory update bullshit doesn't effect me.
Yes you just have to live with it when Nintendo releases a game with game-breaking bugs. Or maybe you can mail them your entire console and have them mail it back to you. Truly Nintendo are as gods!
I was actually talking about my NES....
Someone needs a chill pill, or to grow up :)