Jimquisition: Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
I only have a few games on my 360 I play and some of them I also own on the N64 or they are xbox games what does that say about the use I am getting out of my 360? o_O

canadamus_prime said:
Congratulations Mr. Sterling. You've just made a video stating essentially what I've stated ON THIS FORUM several times since 2009. The only difference is that you've got your own webshow that takes inspiration from MovieBob and everyone listens to you and nobody listens to me. ...ever.

SSSSSSSSSSSSHHHH! Jim is talking about the PC and console issue thingy. Now I read what you said but I already forgot what I read so I agree with your point. :)

See that was better than just saying "huh?"....right?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
thesilentman said:
but there is no way that consoles are going to be profitable
I'm sorry,

Halo
Gears of War
Metal Gear Solid
Mario
Pokemon
Metroid

and many many console exclusive games would like to speak with you.

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
I personally feel that consoles main bargaining chip is their exclusives. Franchises that people have come to know and love is what keeps people coming back, regardless of how terribad the strings attached to them are. I think it's a little brash to say consoles are "crappy PCs", but it's not far off the mark.

Emergent System

Feb 27, 2010
The only reason I even own any consoles is because of exclusives.

SonOfVoorhees said:
PC gamers care more about graphics and physics than the actual game....these things are not important. Making the graphics better with a mod dont make the game better. The game is what it is, the story etc can not be changed. Each to their own i guess. Just buy the games you love to play and you will be fine.
'Cuz games like minecraft just blow everything else out of the water when it comes to pure graphical orgasmictude.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
I dunno about this one. I have an Xbox and a full-fledged gaming PC and I still prefer the console due to the sheer simplicity.

Guess I disagree.

Oh well.

Lykosia_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2010
Playstation and Xbox aren't only about gaming anymore. Both Sony and MS are clearly trying to make them entertainment centers of the living room. This has been clear from the start of the gen and people do buy consoles now for other reasons than just gaming, just like people buy PCs for different purposes.

And I think it is a good direction.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
GamerFromJump said:
More accurate would be to say that a PC is an overpriced console with no guarantee of functionality. How much do you have to spend to make it so that you don't have to turn off features to make the game function? And then there's the DRM...
My PC was $700 when I got it 2 years ago, it plays everything I have ever cared to buy on high, which includes far more features than a console game ever could. I can also run multiple games at the same time so I can switch between two games quickly (in case I am playing a multiplayer game with lots of down time, for example) I can run skype so I can have free high quality voice chat, fraps so I can record game play footage, and Itunes if I don't like the music in the normal game. I can do all this and easily more at the same time and I have no slowdown.

It is true that $700 is significantly more than a console, but you are going to buy a computer anyway and that computer is going to be around $400 at the least. The real cost of a gaming pc, if you plan ahead even a little, is around $200-$300 and it has far more functionality than consoles ever could, a much more extensive library of games, cheaper games, mods, free to play games, and much better graphics.

I have never had more than a minor problem getting a game to work or issues with DRM. I guess I don't buy games from crappy companies?

I used to be primarily a console gamer, and I still own all the consoles of this generation. I just find that consoles are so much less convenient and entertaining. The PC just has better, cheaper games available and is easier to use.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Knowing that I can play the game whenever I want will keep me coming back to the consoles. As soon as the console go bye bye, I will get a Tablet to play games on.

Sorry, but I use the PC to conduct my business. I need to keep them separate in my mind. I will not play anything more complicated than Facebook games on a PC.

Ira Pinera

Jul 9, 2012
I really have no idea where people get this idea of constantly upgrading your computer to play the latest games. The last time I upgraded my computer was in 2006 and I can still run games at max (the only exception being battlefield 3 and crysis of course).

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Emergent System said:
The only reason I even own any consoles is because of exclusives.

SonOfVoorhees said:
PC gamers care more about graphics and physics than the actual game....these things are not important. Making the graphics better with a mod dont make the game better. The game is what it is, the story etc can not be changed. Each to their own i guess. Just buy the games you love to play and you will be fine.
'Cuz games like minecraft just blow everything else out of the water when it comes to pure graphical orgasmictude.
First, He wasn't just talking about Graphics. Second, Minecraft is on Xbox too (YES I KNOW ITS NOT PC'D BUT AT LEAST ITS THERE)

There are times where I just like to sit down and enjoy the base game that the industry gave us. Consoles allow that option. PC's allow you to tweak it.

Even better, did anyone even think of MASS MARKET APPEAL?!? How would you like to see a commercial for say....Dead Space: Terrifying Nightmare Version and think "Oh wow, this will look fun on my xbox!" Then you find out that its available for PC only. Fair enough, you get it and find out your computer cannot handle the game since you have the same PC you've had since 2010. So now you bought a game you cannot use unless you spend more money to UPGRADE the PC.

Consoles allow flexibility. They allow the games that you buy to age well (Not graphically but in use). I still have my old N64 and sit down to enjoy Starfox 64 on there, I turn it on and there I am doing a barrel roll in less than 30 seconds.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
2fish said:
canadamus_prime said:
Congratulations Mr. Sterling. You've just made a video stating essentially what I've stated ON THIS FORUM several times since 2009. The only difference is that you've got your own webshow that takes inspiration from MovieBob and everyone listens to you and nobody listens to me. ...ever.

SSSSSSSSSSSSHHHH! Jim is talking about the PC and console issue thingy. Now I read what you said but I already forgot what I read so I agree with your point. :)

See that was better than just saying "huh?"....right?
¬__¬ Oh yeah, much better. /sarcasm

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
malestrithe said:
Knowing that I can play the game whenever I want will keep me coming back to the consoles. As soon as the console go bye bye, I will get a Tablet to play games on.

Sorry, but I use the PC to conduct my business. I need to keep them separate in my mind. I will not play anything more complicated than Facebook games on a PC.
...you could always use a laptop to conduct your business and a desktop to game, just keep those separate. Easy enough to keep a business machine with no games installed on it on the side. Also, you could use a more reliable OS than Windows on your business machine, unlike a gaming machine.

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
Well, in... erm... "developing" countries like Brazil it's impossible to have quality pc gaming because a good pc here costs almost 4 months salary for the average person. A console costs a bit less than one month so it's a lot more acessible, even though it's still freaking expensive.

JoeyMousepadd

Nov 18, 2009
I'm an exclusive PC gamer, and I can think of one think consoles have over PCs, and I'm very surprised Jim didn't mention it, considering his earlier videos on the topic.

Used games.

Many modern PC games are going to come with an activation code that you can use once or few times, or that you have to bind to a steam or b-net account, making them difficult or impossible to transfer ownership.

That being said, if used games isn't a priority for you then PC is the way to go. I've purchased so much junk off of Steam just for the convenience factor alone. With steam it downloads installed and playable. You don't even have to run a setup, when the last byte comes across the wire you can click play and off you go.

Anyone saying that they spend hours setting up video cards and whatnot are not speaking from recent experience, with a few rare exceptions, PC games in 2012 just work. The video, sound and input layers have been so standardized that your game doesn't care or even know what hardware or driver you're using in most cases.

Last time I bought a PC game at Game Stop the person habitually ask me if I wanted to buy disk insurance in case my disk got damaged. Umm no thanks, I'm going to bring this disk hope, use it once to install and then throw it in the garbage.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
Thanks Jim, at last someone says what i think for years.

But, all the truth you told is worth nothing. Consoles will allways outsell Gaming PC's, because of the "Apple-problem".

Apple-Problem:
People who are to stupid to use a real PC use Apple products.
Because the gated system, without all the choices, possabilitys and needed knowledge are the playground of people who have no idea how to operate a IT product.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Isn't it ironic? Jim Sterling basically said the exact opposite of what MovieBob said in The Big Picture. :p

Then again, that's not all he said that was the exact opposite...

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents as a gamer of both PC and consoles. First off I agree with Jim's assessment, consoles are starting to throw away its benefits that it had over the PC.

I'd like to put in my own personal experience to dispel the incorrect information people still hold onto from PC gaming.

1. constantly upgrading- This just isn't true anymore. Thanks to overly long console life-cycles, PC gaming rigs have become much more cost efficient over the past 5 years. I have my current gaming rig for 5 years and I can still play every PC game I own on high or ultra settings.

2. Need to constantly update, configure, and tweak to work- This is again another old myth of PC gaming that you constantly have to install a game, look for fixes, then you can play 30 mins later. I own over 160 games on steam and only 2 games required me to go and look for a fix (fallout 3 and Civ 5). This could also be due to the fact that I research my parts before I buy to make sure many people who are gamers don't have driver problems etc.

I'd also like to point out on PC you can fix a problem and do not have to wait weeks for a developer to fix it so you can have a corrupted save file and start over. My cousin and I both played Fallout 3 at the same time and we both ran into a glitched that crashed the game at the liberty tower. I fixed the problem in 5 mins by looking at steam forums and he had to wait for an update and start all over.

3. PC gaming costs to much- This is true in the short term sense but not the long term. I payed 800 bucks for my gaming rig 5 years ago and bought 20 AAA games for 5 bucks on steam sales and 33 AAA games for 10 bucks. My cousin has a xbox 360 for 299 and about 27 AAA games he bought at 60 bucks.

I paid around 1250 bucks for my rig and 53 AAA games (tax free)
My cousin paid around 1740 bucks for 33 AAA(not including tax) and if tax was included where i live which is 8.75 percent, his total would be around 1900 bucks. This also doesn't include the 60 bucks a year from xbox live he had to pay to play online.

So yes PC gaming is more expensive in the hardware but you save money over the years through software sales.

4. PC gamers only care about graphics- I am sure quite a few enjoy better graphics and who wouldn't for the same exact game on the consoles? What I prefer is the fluidity of PC gaming and load times.

Skyrim: a game both my cousin and I own (me PC, him console of course) has drastic experiences in gameplay due to our platform choice.

My game runs extremely fluid and load screens take 3-5 seconds.
My cousins game runs moderately fluid but his load screens can take up to 1-2 minutes.

His character has over 200 hours of gametime and I wonder how much of it is in load screens compared to mine.

Now I have every console of this generation and I still play them from time to time. However, the console market is starting to alienate me more with all the BS they are pouring on that is not just a simple plug and play.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
That's what I've been saying too. Its funny cause I think that when consoles finally go all digital downloads, they will cease to exist. At that point there will literally be no reason to own a console since you can get a better service through steam. Exclusives will probably drop shortly after because they just won't be worth it. Imagine downloading God of War 3 on the shitty psn network. Kratos's right nipple alone will probably take you 5 minutes.

Plutar said:
Jim Sterling said:
Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

They were cheaper, easier to use, more convenient.
Last I checked, consoles were still cheaper than gaming PC's.
Not necessarily. This comp cost me $400 Canadian which while about 1.5x the cost of a ps3 or 360, it makes up for my having a lot more functionality and quite frankly if you look at the money I saved buying on steam vs console, I'd say they're about even. True that a top of the line gaming pc will cost you $800-$1000, but to compare a top of the line pc to a console is like comparing a new mercedes or bmw to an old ford. For reference I get console like graphics on this computer.

coderedge

Jan 9, 2009
But getting a controller and TV to work with my PC (a laptop) is a pain in the ass, and I am obliged by price point to prioritize my PC's capabilities according to my work, not my leisure time. PCs need to be cheaper if they're going to replace consoles, so that I can - for the same price point - get one customized with the correct functionality. [Blah blah you can build one yourself for blah blah dollars, no. My time is worth money; exchanging one for the other doesn't really improve matters.]

None of this means that Jim's wrong. The time may be coming. But I'd say that for me, and many like me, the time is not here ? yet.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
A pretty good episode, one that feels like it poses no good solution though.

Getting a reasonably priced PC for gaming at the same time as the new console generation hits the market would have roughly the same life span as the other. PC will be ahead 4 or 5 years later, with console holding it back to an extent, but at the same time you'd have to sink in money on either an upgraded or entirely new PC. I have a medium grade 2010 laptop and it is by no means better at playing modern games than a 360. Not that it's bad, but I'll just use it for interesting PC exclusives and old games.

I think the best thing, I guess would be to hold off on consoles if you bought a recent PC, but if you're getting sick of your 2008 or 2009 piece of crap set-up and don't feel the need to upgrade a console could be the right choice.

Of course, I'm approaching this as someone with no money.