Jimquisition: Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
mrc390 said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
mrc390 said:
If this is even true, you got COMPLETELY ripped off on that PC. Two years ago I built my PC for about ?650 (had to buy everything, couldn't recycle a monitor or a case or some ram. Also had to buy windows 7) and I'm running Skyrim on high settings, it works perfectly fine. Can also run Crysis on high, which is still one of the best looking games of this generation.
Your PC costs twice what the most expensive model of 360 cost 7 years ago when it launched.

Build me a PC using only tech from seven years ago, at the prices they would have cost you seven years ago. Spend only ?325.

Now make it run Skyrim.
I think you're forgetting the fact that on top of having cheaper games and being technically better in every way to its console brethren, it's also a fucking computer. If I hadn't spent the extra money on the graphics card and a fancier CPU it would have been about ?400-500 so when you think about it, I only spent about ?150-300 on my above average gaming rig.
Im sorry but Im gonna talk in USD for a moment because i dont know the exhange. So PC games on average are about $10 less than their console counterparts (assuming you arent talking about Wii games.) If the average gamer buys 10 high profile titles like Skyrim a year the PC gamer has saved about $100 a year.

Last I checked a high quality PC costs anywhere from $2000-3000 especially if you don't have the know how to build one on your own.

In 2005 The Xbox launched, and you could buy a core system for $300

In 2005 you buy a $1000 PC and buy a $300 Xbox. Seven years later you have saved $700 in cheaper PC games, HOWEVER there is no chance in hell that after 7 years with no upgrading, that your PC is going to run games properly with today's System requirements. My Xbox however is still providing a smooth and enjoyable gaming experience.

I understand that PC gamers get more freedom to play, but to say its cheaper is just ridiculous.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
The Hungry Samurai said:
mrc390 said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
mrc390 said:
If this is even true, you got COMPLETELY ripped off on that PC. Two years ago I built my PC for about ?650 (had to buy everything, couldn't recycle a monitor or a case or some ram. Also had to buy windows 7) and I'm running Skyrim on high settings, it works perfectly fine. Can also run Crysis on high, which is still one of the best looking games of this generation.
Your PC costs twice what the most expensive model of 360 cost 7 years ago when it launched.

Build me a PC using only tech from seven years ago, at the prices they would have cost you seven years ago. Spend only ?325.

Now make it run Skyrim.
I think you're forgetting the fact that on top of having cheaper games and being technically better in every way to its console brethren, it's also a fucking computer. If I hadn't spent the extra money on the graphics card and a fancier CPU it would have been about ?400-500 so when you think about it, I only spent about ?150-300 on my above average gaming rig.

Im sorry but Im gonna talk in USD for a moment because i dont know the exhange. So PC games on average are about $10 less than their console counterparts (assuming you arent talking about Wii games.) If the average gamer buys 10 high profile titles like Skyrim a year the PC gamer has saved about $100 a year.

Last I checked a high quality PC costs anywhere from $2000-3000 especially if you don't have the know how to build one on your own.

In 2005 The Xbox launched, and you could buy a core system for $300

In 2005 you buy a $1000 PC and buy a $300 Xbox. Seven years later you have saved $700 in cheaper PC games, HOWEVER there is no chance in hell that after 7 years with no upgrading, that your PC is going to run games properly with today's System requirements. My Xbox however is still providing a smooth and enjoyable gaming experience.

I understand that PC gamers get more freedom to play, but to say its cheaper is just ridiculous.

that comparison doesn't hold up though, since you can't compare a high end pc (and 2000-3000 usd is less "high and" and more "badshitting insanity" already btw) to the weaponized toasters that are consoles.

a six-seven year old pc will still run nowadays games. of course with graphics cranked way down and looking like crap. i.e., on xbox level. most games nowaday on consoles run on what is usually minimum settings in the pc version.

if you bought a pc in the 300-400 euro range when the xbox launched, you had a machine that could easily outperform it.
that was true in the beginning of it's life cycle already.(the GPU they are going to put in the new xbox was already just middle class a year back when it came out. in another year and half when it will be in the launched 720, it will be easily outperformed even by the cheapest pc's)
now later in a consoles life cycle this becomes more and more true. after a year or two you can already assemble a PC for the price of the console with many times it's power. current low-budged pc's for the price of a new retail xbox are about 10 or so times as fast.

the lack of know-how doesn't fly either, everyone who can read a web page and plug a square shaped thingie in a square shaped hole can do it. hell, i assembled my first pc without major issue when i was completely drunk (not even kidding, long story xD ) without any prior technical knowledge or help. it's THAT easy.

Valdus

Apr 7, 2011
Kathinka said:
a six-seven year old pc will still run nowadays games. of course with graphics cranked way down and looking like crap. i.e., on xbox level. most games nowaday on consoles run on what is usually minimum settings in the pc version.
No...no they won't. Mine is only 4 years old and despite updating a lot of stuff it won't run most games. The updates needed to make it run more games would cost me thousands of pounds (not dollars, so when I say thousands I'm talking a fair bit more than $1000). Telling me that a 7 year old one would fair better is just ridiculous. At the end of the day my Xbox 360 will still play an Xbox360 game regardless of when that game came out. I can't say the same for PC games.

Also aside from price there are other advantages of consoles. We don't have to put up with online only games. The fiasco that is Diablo 3 wouldn't happen on consoles.

DRM? Pfft no, the game has to work on the consoles so adding other crap to prevent that won't fly. They might add additional content for 1st hand sales or limit multiplayer to online only, but that's it really (though granted that can be a big thing if multiplayer is the game's main selling point, but there are plenty of games where it isn't).

What about not having to put up with shitty EULA's? Have you read Steam or Origin's EULA's? You would have thought we lost some kind of war with the crap they throw in. Because console games have to work as physical games they aren't able to do crap like that anywhere near as easily. However online games can easily be sold as "services" rather than a product, which allows for these kind of exploits.

Static Jak

Mar 15, 2011
Valdus said:
The updates needed to make it run more games would cost me thousands of pounds (not dollars, so when I say thousands I'm talking a fair bit more than $1000).
Wait, what? You are doing something horribly wrong if you think it'll cost you thousands of pounds to upgrade. Hell, building a PC from scratch to run current games shouldn't have to cost that much.

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
Static Jak said:
Valdus said:
The updates needed to make it run more games would cost me thousands of pounds (not dollars, so when I say thousands I'm talking a fair bit more than $1000).
Wait, what? You are doing something horribly wrong if you think it'll cost you thousands of pounds to upgrade. Hell, building a PC from scratch to run current games shouldn't have to cost that much.
100% correct! Where the hell are people getting this BS from that a decent gaming system is $1000 or over it. Also the exhange rate is 1-1 when it comes to commodities like pc electronics.
As a GPU in the states costing $450 will cost you £450 here.

I've posted this before but here it is again

The rest of that system's specs

System Specification
- Case: Antec 300 Gaming Case (default choice, options available)
- Power Supply: OCZ ZS 650w PSU
- CPU: AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 3.60GHz Processor
- Motherboard: AMD 760G Chipset (AM3+) Motherboard
- RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drives: 1TB HDD
- Graphics Card: AMD 760G Onboard + AMD HD 6850 OC 1GB
- Sound: 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
- Optical Drive: OcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black)
- CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler

Or for an extra £97 you can get an AMD HD 6970 OC 2GB card.
Even with that Upgrade its only £683.95 INC VAT (Currently on Special.)

Well under 1000 and it'll play any game out there at 1080P resolution.

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
I've watched the whole video now, but I am certain that despite Jim's utter brilliance and godlike oratory skills, there will still be wretched infidels who will insist on perpetuating their filthy lies and misinformation, like how you can't get viruses on a MAC, or have your Credit-Card stolen on a console ...because you have to enter it using an on-screen keyboard like in one of those old-school RPG's where you entered your hero's name.
Because, you know, hackers can't just read it off the database ...unless it's in F*CKING plaintext.

Yes, operating a PC is slightly more difficult than just playing on a console ...what with interminable install-times, serial-keys to enter, zero-day content updates and bug-fixes to download ...oh. What's that? Consoles have all those things too? AND you don't have a mouse and keyboard to help enter those keys?

I rest my case.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
If there's one thing I hate more that humanity itself, it the PC elitist douchnozzels who feel the need to trumpet their imagined superiority over everyone else.

PCs were in a rut until game consoles started inheriting all the worst aspects of PC gaming: install times, zero hour patches, etc.

I used to be a PC gamer, playing such classics as Starlancer and Tachyon: The Fringe on the old junker of a rig my father gave to us youngins'. And you know what? I never want to go back to those days.

Do you want to know why? Two words: System Requirements. With consoles, I know for a fact that if I pop a game into that slot, it's going to work. Every. Time.

I don't have to spend a thousand dollars to buy a gaming rig that's going to be obsolete in a year, I don't have to fuck around with the settings just to get the damn thing to work, I don't have to worry about the game suddenly not working because of some bullshit copy protection, and I can rent any game I want through GameFly, which has saved me untold amounst of cash.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
PC gamers care more about graphics and physics than the actual game....these things are not important. Making the graphics better with a mod dont make the game better. The game is what it is, the story etc can not be changed. Each to their own i guess. Just buy the games you love to play and you will be fine.
and of course that is why The Binding of Isaac, Minecraft, Terraria, World of Goo, and all of the like are all so VERY popular on the consoles, while no real pc gamer would ever bother with such ugly things. Clearly PC gamers are far too obsessed with graphics,

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
Valdus said:
Kathinka said:
No...no they won't. Mine is only 4 years old and despite updating a lot of stuff it won't run most games. The updates needed to make it run more games would cost me thousands of pounds (not dollars, so when I say thousands I'm talking a fair bit more than $1000). Telling me that a 7 year old one would fair better is just ridiculous. At the end of the day my Xbox 360 will still play an Xbox360 game regardless of when that game came out. I can't say the same for PC games.

Also aside from price there are other advantages of consoles. We don't have to put up with online only games. The fiasco that is Diablo 3 wouldn't happen on consoles.

DRM? Pfft no, the game has to work on the consoles so adding other crap to prevent that won't fly. They might add additional content for 1st hand sales or limit multiplayer to online only, but that's it really (though granted that can be a big thing if multiplayer is the game's main selling point, but there are plenty of games where it isn't).

What about not having to put up with shitty EULA's? Have you read Steam or Origin's EULA's? You would have thought we lost some kind of war with the crap they throw in. Because console games have to work as physical games they aren't able to do crap like that anywhere near as easily. However online games can easily be sold as "services" rather than a product, which allows for these kind of exploits.
well, my friend built her pc six years ago with a budged of 400 euro, and she is playing skyrim and battlefield 3 with me, so i don't know what you did wrong. she doesn't even have to put settings in bf3 on minimum. and if you need 1000s of pounds to update your system, then your retailer is ripping you off. you can make a dop of the line system for less. so sorry if i don't take your pc-knowledge very serious.

i agree with the shitty drm and the other stuff. it isn't such a big deal for me personally since in my there is no legal problem with simply applying a fix to that. i do that with pretty much every game with annoying drm, especially that ubisoft bullshit and such.

similar thing about EULAs, outside of the u.s. they mean pretty much jackshit, legally.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
They are still easier to use and more convenient; I really don't see the point of this video at all. They attract children and a lot of other bad mannered people leaving a nicer environment on the PC. Now of course there are still a lot that get through but it's better than it would be if they didn't exist.

Kathinka said:
well, my friend built her pc six years ago with a budged of 400 euro, and she is playing skyrim and battlefield 3 with me, so i don't know what you did wrong. she doesn't even have to put settings in bf3 on minimum. and if you need 1000s of pounds to update your system, then your retailer is ripping you off. you can make a dop of the line system for less. so sorry if i don't take your pc-knowledge very serious.

i agree with the shitty drm and the other stuff. it isn't such a big deal for me personally since in my there is no legal problem with simply applying a fix to that. i do that with pretty much every game with annoying drm, especially that ubisoft bullshit and such.

similar thing about EULAs, outside of the u.s. they mean pretty much jackshit, legally.
The vast majority of PC's from 7 years ago had single core processors which can't even start a lot of games today like Dawn of War 2.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Phoenixlight said:
They are still easier to use and more convenient; I really don't see the point of this video at all. They attract children and a lot of other bad mannered people leaving a nicer environment on the PC. Now of course there are still a lot that get through but it's better than it would be if they didn't exist.

Kathinka said:

The vast majority of PC's from 7 years ago had single core processors which can't even start a lot of games today like Dawn of War 2.
Dawn of war 2 easily runs on a single core CPU. Today you can run ANY game on the market with a 2.4GHZ dual core CPU.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
Phoenixlight said:

Kathinka said:

and dawn of war isn't a console game either, it's a pc exclusive and hence it makes sense that it takes a bit more to run

Static Jak

Mar 15, 2011
Machine Man 1992 said:
I don't have to spend a thousand dollars to buy a gaming rig that's going to be obsolete in a year
Ugh...does anyone actually believe this crap? Even when told countless times and even shown that it isn't true, people still spread this bull.

Really, while we're at it, PS3 has no games, 360 dies of RROD within days and there are no such thing as girl gamers...

Waddles

Mar 16, 2010
For me the main benefit to consoles was system link and split screen. Most console multiplayer games don't have this option anymore, or at least it's reduced.

Fredvdp

Apr 9, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
PC gamers care more about graphics and physics than the actual game....these things are not important. Making the graphics better with a mod dont make the game better. The game is what it is, the story etc can not be changed. Each to their own i guess. Just buy the games you love to play and you will be fine.
I don't buy good tech just to get better graphics. I buy it to get smoother framerates and load times so the game is more enjoyable. Once you go 60 fps, you never go back.

I think by now many people have quoted you to comment on your BS so I'll just keep it short. I love great graphics, but gameplay always comes first. I feel PC offers me the best gameplay because I can choose which form of input I will use, and the smooth framerate actually makes the game easier to control. Advanced tech offers more than fancy visuals alone.

If PC gamers cared more about graphics than the the actual game, then Minecraft wouldn't be one of the most popular games this generation.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Static Jak said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
I don't have to spend a thousand dollars to buy a gaming rig that's going to be obsolete in a year
Ugh...does anyone actually believe this crap? Even when told countless times and even shown that it isn't true, people still spread this bull.
Yes. It is true. I've seen it. It's cheaper to stick to consoles. you're the one spreading misinformation.

Captcha: pay the ferryman. My computer wants me dead.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Machine Man 1992 said:
If there's one thing I hate more that humanity itself, it the PC elitist douchnozzels who feel the need to trumpet their imagined superiority over everyone else.

PCs were in a rut until game consoles started inheriting all the worst aspects of PC gaming: install times, zero hour patches, etc.

I used to be a PC gamer, playing such classics as Starlancer and Tachyon: The Fringe on the old junker of a rig my father gave to us youngins'. And you know what? I never want to go back to those days.

Do you want to know why? Two words: System Requirements. With consoles, I know for a fact that if I pop a game into that slot, it's going to work. Every. Time.

I don't have to spend a thousand dollars to buy a gaming rig that's going to be obsolete in a year, I don't have to fuck around with the settings just to get the damn thing to work, I don't have to worry about the game suddenly not working because of some bullshit copy protection, and I can rent any game I want through GameFly, which has saved me untold amounst of cash.
Can you explain to me how you believe PC was in a rut... it doesn't make any sense to me considering how we've had steady graphical improvement solid exclusives and the Steam come since this console generation began

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Machine Man 1992 said:
Static Jak said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Yes. It is true. I've seen it. It's cheaper to stick to consoles. you're the one spreading misinformation.

Captcha: pay the ferryman. My computer wants me dead.
Many people have posted possible builds and specs that prove you wrong, while you provide nothing. While yes, the people purporting $200 gaming PCs lied, the others spoke the truth with facts and you back up your argument with nothing

I don't know how to quote 2 people properly, as I'm relatively new to this forum, but heres specs posted on the same page that prove you wrong
System Specification
- Case: Antec 300 Gaming Case (default choice, options available)
- Power Supply: OCZ ZS 650w PSU
- CPU: AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 3.60GHz Processor
- Motherboard: AMD 760G Chipset (AM3+) Motherboard
- RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drives: 1TB HDD
- Graphics Card: AMD 760G Onboard + AMD HD 6850 OC 1GB
- Sound: 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
- Optical Drive: OcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black)
- CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler

Or for an extra £97 you can get an AMD HD 6970 OC 2GB card.
Even with that Upgrade its only £683.95 INC VAT (Currently on Special.)

Well under 1000 and it'll play any game out there at 1080P resolution.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
I give up. The PC elitists here are delusional if they really think they could have bought a PC 7 years ago for less than $1000 that will run Skyrim as good as a 360.

Yes I get it, I can buy a gaming rig that plays everything high quality for 600 dollars.....for the next 2-3 years. Its never going to be cheaper.

There is no superior gaming medium. It's a cycle. The console launches and for awhile it's innovative and high powered, they get old and the constantly updating tech of PC's overtake them, then a new gen of consoles comes out and provides another set of high end features at a low cost for PC's to catch up to and overtake again.

Watch a few years from now all this hubris is going to be replaced with envy at the specs of the next gen. (Wii U doesn't count. Nintendo seems to think they can just stop trying and collect checks. They may be right)