Jimquisition: Xbox One and the Death of Ownership

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
Ya know what's really sad?

Back when RE6 was released, Jim, you were citing the exact OPPOSITE problem. Back then, companies were trying to hard to please everyone at once.

Now, Microsoft and others don't care AT ALL about pleasing their customers.

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
Blue Ranger said:
HalfTangible said:
Ya know what's really sad?

Back when RE6 was released, Jim, you were citing the exact OPPOSITE problem. Back then, companies were trying to hard to please everyone at once.

Now, Microsoft and others don't care AT ALL about pleasing their customers.
Actually, I don't think they ever cared about pleasing everyone with their games. More like they just want to please the Call of Duty fanboys.
I always thought they did want to please as many people as they could, they just didn't know how to do it. RE6 was a perfect example simply because it tries to please too many different demographics at once. Since then, however, we have slid more and more towards a game industry that doesn't even care anymore. The "crowning glory", as Jim put it, of shameless pandering. And now we have the exact opposite: not giving one single licking FUCK about your customer's opinions.

Microsoft has, since the Xbone reveal, basically told their customers 'fuck you we do what we want'. If you'd told me a year ago that Microsoft would do something stupid? Yeah, I could believe that, but if you'd told me that they would literally tell their customers TO THEIR FACES to not buy their product, I would've told you to stop sniffing paint. I am honestly shocked that this is an actual thing that is happening.

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
sturryz said:
The Xbox Two will require you to wear an ankle brace that has to connect to the internet every 12 hours or the the ankle brace blows your leg off.
Good one!

If anything, this only confirms that I will be getting a PS4

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Kuilui said:
If only this video could be shown on screen at the E3 conference while Microsoft is up on stage trying to convince everyone that being treated like a criminal and not being allowed to own the things they buy is really super awesome we promise because ummm, TV!

A problem I don't think many people have really sunk their teeth into yet is the end game of the xbox one. What happens when the servers for the Xbox One inevitably are permanently taken offline? With no authentication servers I guess your Xbox one would be rendered useless and your games unplayable. Maybe you'd be forced to buy the Xbox Two in order to keep owning your...holy... their trying Zune again. Keep paying or all the stuff you bought is gone! Sure you don't need xbox live to play the games I assume(so the zune model isn't immediately obvious) but eventually you'll have to fork over more money to buy xbox two unless you want your expensive game collection to go bye bye. Well that's my theory anyway and with the frankly disturbing things Microsoft is doing, would what I said surprise anyone if it came true?
Exactly. I mean, seriously, there are games that are only about two years old that I can no longer play because the servers were taken down. What's going to happen when that affects not only a single game but an entire console and all of its content?

We can't be acting like there aren't a lot of us who are still playing the first games we ever played, or play one game for years to master it, and a lot of us are still doing that on the first consoles we ever owned. Even if Microsoft's plan is to stick with the Xbox One for twenty years or whatever, it's still not going to have the same theoretically unlimited longevity as a SNES or a PS2 because the service that's necessary for the Xbone console to run will still be shut down at some point, which can never happen to an offline console.

Maybe that won't be an issue until fifteen or twenty years down the road, but it's still an issue. I regularly play games older than that.

Althus

Sep 24, 2010
This image someone linked some here now makes perfect sense :

X-Box One vs a Brick :

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/7460_487168678026076_1390314665_n.jpg

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Althus said:
This image someone linked some here now makes perfect sense :

X-Box One vs a Brick :

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/7460_487168678026076_1390314665_n.jpg
Well played. Still that's a very expensive brick. Can you imagine building a house out of X-1's? None the less I'm still thinking there's hope for the console. Perhaps they'll see the error of their ways and patch those features everyone is against. But if sales reach a decent number chances are nothing will change.