Jimquisition: Xbox One No DRM Emergency Special!

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
It says "stream not found" when I try to load the video. Was the thread created while the video was still being uploaded, or is there a genuine error with the video?

Got me really excited, this is going to be sooooo embarrassing for MS and I suspect you're going to tear them another one :D

edit: Video is up and working now. Yeah, I guess it's a positive thing and gamers win in the end. Can't really complain about that.

My thoughts about this, copied from the other thread:

I'm very confused at the moment.

Confused as to whether MS planned this whole thing from the beginning as a publicity stunt (riding on the "no such thing as bad publicity" chestnut) OR whether they were genuinely behind this whole thing and then had a change of heart after seeing people's feedback.

On one hand, the hosts and devs who enthusiastically talked about XBox One's "features" looked COMPLETELY into it, they looked like they truly believed in it deep down that this was the way to go, that gamers would thank MS for these features down the road. It's hard to believe that MS had planned on hitting the reverse gear from the start, because the devs spoke like they didn't even have a shadow of a doubt. You could see it on their faces and hear it in their words, they were standing behind it with resolve.

On the other hand, literally EVERY SINGLE NEGATIVE ASPECT of the XBox One (except for the price, but who knows they might cut that down too at this rate) is being reversed. All in one swoop. That's where I start thinking that they planned this whole thing from the beginning, it looks way too easy and way too convenient to have pulled such a thing off so easily.

Either way Microsoft are still colossally thick idiots. Every single MS employee who preached things about the XBox One during the unveil and E3 is going to have jokes and memes made about them for a long time. Whether they already knew or not, it's utterly embarrassing...nothing changes that part.

Also I'm looking forward to future interviews with MS and how the interviewers will be silently laughing under their breath as MS try to answer the same endlessly-asked questions again and again:
1) "Why did you even think this would be positively received in the first place?"
2) "Why did you have a change of heart, do you believe first impressions have caused lasting damage?"
3) "Does this all come off as terribly embarrassing for your company and your employees, especially the presenters?"

(to so many who asked, yes it's a microphone on the right guy's face)

Dec 14, 2009
Man, they back-peddled quicker than an Elder Scrolls archer :D

Still not buying one though.

Not unless all my favourite things happen.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Exactly my thoughts, Jim.

I'm delighted that they've backtracked for whatever the reason they chose to do so, and may now actually buy an Xbox One, but because of this I will definitely be wary of Microsoft in the future.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Very well put, Jim; forgive, but don't forget.

Seeing as how the PS4 seemed to be doing alright (although let's be honest here, we all remember the 'mneh' feeling we got after the first reveal; it really got this far because of MS), it would've been a bad thing for Microsoft to screw everything up and give them a monopoly over the console market.

I am glad we have two options now, but I am still somewhat disappointed by both.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I liked the intro, very funny indeed. I expect suitable poetry from you and Yahtzee on this next week. It is far too good to miss.

I still don't want one.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I agree that it is good that they have done a 180 but I will still not buy one. Like Jim, I will not forget what they tried to do. It is to late to take it back.

Anyway even without the DRM and used games stuff it still comes with big brother kinect. So I will stick with my PC this gen. Maybe get a PS4 after some time has passed.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
Unfortunately with Microsoft's habit of changing their console after release (dashboard and advertising)I don't think this decision will stay. I won't be buying an Xbox One simply because of this threat. I'll stick with a PS4 this generation, but I am a bit happier to see them actually changing their policies as a result. In order to get me back, they'll have to prove that they can be consumer friendly for awhile and rebuild a track record they've destroyed over the past few years and ultimately dropped a nuke on at E3.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
WOooooooOOooooOOooOo!

Now if they can prove to me how XBL Gold will be valuable this time 'round instead of a subscription service to video adverts & early CoD maps I don't care about, and that kinect can me POWERED off,

I'd be happy enough to buy One80.

Salieri82

Mar 3, 2010
To mangle Winston Churchill: You can always count on Microsoft to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm glad. In part because I was getting angry enough to start writing letters to the editor in about four months to say, "Hey, people who still read newspapers, don't buy your game-playing kids an XBox One for Christmas, here's why."

Yes, seriously.

Microsoft has made the smart move here, but I think they may still find it hard to make up for lost ground. In part because people like me were more than willing to evangelize against the world Microsoft saw for the future and thought was its to claim, but don't feel quite the same pressure to laud Microsoft to the heavens for grudgingly doing what it should have done in the first place.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I won't buy one because I'll be damned if a quick change of heart will be enough to make me forget - but this *is* absolutely wonderful news. If only this spells the end of Microsoft's recent policy of shafting its own userbase and telling them "Like it, you fucking monkeys, IT'S THE FUTURE!", then I'll remain absolutely jubilant over this.

As, you know, Windows 8 pretty much did exactly that.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Well, Microsoft is still a bit too late (pre-ordered PS4, $100 less, better hardware, upgradable hard drive, etc.), but this IS a good thing.

Granted, I'm not going to THANK them for this. You don't say thank you to someone for NOT kicking you in the balls when they wanted to.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Still not getting one (to be fair, never planned to), but yeah, good news. Both because of consumer power and because it means healthy competition in the console market. Still, Microsoft has been twisting and turning and blatantly lying for quite a while now, so my best wishes to people still seriously considering an Xbox One.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Wow, you got this episode out quick Jimmy boy.

They've still made this decision too late for me, but I was always set on a PS4 anyway. Microsoft lost my vote in the console market waaaay before the One80 was even in drawn up in blueprints.

Mar 30, 2010
Well, this is good news. Ok, one step in the right direction is only an improvement if you hadn't previously taken five in the wrong direction, but at least Microsoft are listening. As you point out Jim, they're more likely listening to developers and investors rather than the gaming community, but they at least deserve some applause for this if for no other reason than if their reversal of policy regains none of the goodwill they've recently lost then they may begin to U-turn on the U-turn.

So well done Microsoft - you have finally done what you should have been doing from the beginning.

>genuine nod of appreciation accompanied with sarcastic slow clapping<

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
What they need to do now (if they want to have the future that they want) is to make digital-only download games $10-$15 cheaper than physical discs. Imagine the ripple effect that would have.

Also, XBox 180 seems like a hilarious alternative over XBone now.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Salieri82 said:
To mangle Winston Churchill: You can always count on Microsoft to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else.
As a history enthusiast I found that most amusing.
Also OT: Thanks god for Jim.