Jimquisition: Xbox One No DRM Emergency Special!

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Jim said it right "Forgive, but not forget". I'm really worried that now everyone will just forget about all that DRM bullshit and gleefuly jump back to MS train. There should be some consequences for their actions.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Well, my worry is now which company will be the first to reverse the policies and institute DRM?

As a more important question, since I seem to be way behind on game trailers, what was the game with stopping time during an explosion or whatever? That looked interesting.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Also a great new proof of the truth of the older "why complaining is more effective than boycotts" episode.

For everyone who was moaning about how people should just shut up on online forums and vote with their wallet, well, here is the result of not shutting up.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
It's still not enough for me to want to get an Xbox ONe. It's still 100 bucks more and comes with a camera I dont' want. but good on Microsoft for actually hearing the outcry instead of shoving your fingers in your ears. though I have to wonder if this sets their production back at all seeing as now they have to remove shit from their console. Actually waht if that made it cheaper. This generation won't look so one sided anymore. though I am still for the PS4.

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
I'm still not getting one. They have been forced into this reversal by over weeks worth of condemnation from every gaming website and few larger news outlets too. They're still miles behind Sony and Nintendo when it comes to respecting their customers.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Still not buying it. Damage is already done as they've shown their true 'controlling' color.

This is not action of kindness. It just took them this long that it would affect their sales.

shadowstriker86 said:
Yuuki said:
the guy in grey, what the hell is that on his cheek? is that a piece of captain crunch cereal? was joe yelling at the guy so much food was flying out of his mouth?
Microphone

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
bojac6 said:
As a more important question, since I seem to be way behind on game trailers, what was the game with stopping time during an explosion or whatever? That looked interesting.
Quantum Break.

OT: I'm still predicting that this was not planned, and they quickly patched code... which will break.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Freyar said:
Unfortunately with Microsoft's habit of changing their console after release (dashboard and advertising)I don't think this decision will stay. I won't be buying an Xbox One simply because of this threat. I'll stick with a PS4 this generation, but I am a bit happier to see them actually changing their policies as a result. In order to get me back, they'll have to prove that they can be consumer friendly for awhile and rebuild a track record they've destroyed over the past few years and ultimately dropped a nuke on at E3.
I agree it is unwise to trust microsoft due to their changes to the xbox 360 dashboard alone. Sure they might give a slight pass to the always on DRM stuff for now, but next year they will have a brand new strategy and name to try and force people back into it.

And once they have already invested in the Xbox one, people will be more willing to overlook getting abused like they do now with the xbox 360.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Big piece of humble pie for Microsoft. Thought I think the damage may be already done. It will take a lot to win back consumer good will now.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I'm really disappointed with the reversal of opinion. What made the Xbone interesting to me - the always online connectivity, family sharing and mandatory Kinect - has been somewhat put down. I was looking forward to what exactly 'cloud computing' can do, I was interested in more games adopting systems like Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. You know, integrating the single and multiplayer experience? Game developers can no longer guarantee that every user has access to the internet, which could have been an interesting point to develop from. Now, well, we'll never know.
And that's what hurts about this. What the Xbone was doing was unprecedented. Don't get me wrong, I know that doesn't mean good, inherently. It's just, and bear with me here, nobody has to buy the Xbox One. The PS4 was always an option, and a cheaper one at that. If you don't have an internet connection, you have the option of - no, not the xbox 360 - the PS4. It's there. It's a choice. A safe choice. It's not changing anything. The Xbone? Previously we didn't know if it would be a safe choice. We didn't know if it was what we wanted. It certainly wasn't a rich dark roast. And that's what we want, isn't it? We all want a rich dark roast. We all sing together that we know what we want and what we want is a rich dark roast.

The Xbone could have been a game changer. Microsoft has decided now to go where the money is, abandon it's backbone and chase after every ounce of hype and every last dollar. And now we will never know, at least not for another 8 years, if the Xbone's original system is in fact a great one.

For posterity, I wholly support being able to just, you know, give people discs.

EDIT: I just thought I'd point out something that really irks me about this whole Xbone situation, as I feel it represents the gaming industry and culture as a whole.
People complain, day in and day out, about the lack of change in games. The repetition of the exact same systems and stories from past generations of game. And yet, when Microsoft tried something new with a console, everyone cried 'What's wrong with the way things are? Can't everything just be the same? Everything is fine here, we don't need change!'.
Food for thought.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Holy Crap lol came out of a raid to find that the whole internet has exploded. Well this is better but probably still getting a PS4 cos of the price.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Aw, isn't that nice. Still ain't getting one. The level of douchenozzlery (that's a word now) Microsoft has shown during this whole debacle has pretty much killed the slight chance that I would have gotten one.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Sweet baby Jesus, we did it. We managed to force a company to do something with mass complaining. And for something great and not just the ending to a video game. For the first time ever the internet actually did something good for once!