Jimquisition: Xbox One No DRM Emergency Special!

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
PatrickXD said:
The Xbone could have been a game changer. Microsoft has decided now to go where the money is, abandon it's backbone and chase after every ounce of hype and every last dollar. And now we will never know, at least not for another 8 years, if the Xbone's original system is in fact a great one.
The problem is that the implementation of each thing needs to be done at a per-game basis and must also do away with other "features" that are highly controversial. Always online doesn't work well enough, especially when the whole market is concerned. Microsoft jumped the gun and tried to do something that is probably well over twenty years too early.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Yeah, I say it all the time, but I'm going to keep saying it:
[h4] A company hears and understands ONLY two sounds, the creak of your wallet opening and the slap of your wallet closing. All other sounds are noise to be ignored.[/h4]

Well, there were a lot of slaps. A HELL of a LOT of SLAPS! Someone in a position of power (likely Balmer, who, I would suspect, absolutely ripped through Don's ass like a berserk cuisinart on steroids) finally heard and understood the message. Honestly, folks, our wallets is really the only voice and power we have against these companies, but it is a SUBSTANTIAL power that should not be taken lightly. Companies want our money more than we do, and all we have to do to send them into shit-fits of kowtowing is to say "NO". That's it. Nothing more. No need for rage and screaming. Just say "NO". With so many people closing their wallets before the damn console even hit the market, Microsoft would have proven itself the ultimate in stupidity and arrogance to ignore such a deliberate and forceful message, "We ain't buying your shit!".

ADDENDUM: Still not buying it, though. Pissed me off just a bit too much for me to throw money at two-faced shit like this.

Dec 16, 2009
to all the appologists who defended MS's anti-consumer policies...look what happens when we stick up for ourself. these companies need us, they need the customers. and look, you're still going to get your Xbone, no ones taking it away from you.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Yeah strangely enough I think it was Jimmy Fallon. Not so much that one guy himself, but the fact that the pure anti-consumerism was starting to leak out into the mainstream media and everyone who looked at it thought it was BS. A video game system being openly mocked on late-night television might have been the final kick in the pants they needed to know it wasn't just boilerplate nerdrage from a vocal minority.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Honestly, this is the most tedious "console war" (as in, when two consoles battle out for audience favour) since Sega vs Nintendo (you know, with boring crap like "we do what Nintendon't"). Rather than Sony and Microsoft trying to sell different ideas, they're selling the same things to the same people. The only difference is Microsoft just did the equivalent of getting drunk before an important speech, and then later had to apologise for said speech. This entire thing is dull, tiresome and lame. There's absolutely nothing interesting new being thrown about, just the same tired things (complete with Sony doing personal attacks on Microsoft, the tired "look, we can do used games" getting to the point of flaunting). I think the snapping point was when Jim pretty much made me realise something: Sony is being applauded for doing the same thing it's always been doing. We're applauding not because of improvements, but rather throwing rocks at those who change (which I'll admit, the changes are all for the worst). I've yet to get an inclining that PS4 or the X-Box One will actually really improve upon what I already have, just with the games now being made for the PS4 and the X-Box One.

I may be alone in this, but just out of curiosity: Is anyone as bored and tired as I am with how PS4 and X-Bone One is being promoted? Or even just filled with apathy over this change?

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Jim sure is fast getting these videos out. I run a bath, everything is normal, and when I'm finished Microsoft have pulled a 180 and there's already a video up.

This is definitely a step in the right direction. I was really worried the XBox would just crash and burn before, but now there's some hope. Though they are still on the back foot coming out of the gate as I bet there's a mad dash with programmers and devs to make changes to code, and Microsoft will have to run their PR in overdrive to make up for E3 before launch.

What does this mean for Sony though? Their job has just got tougher. While I don't agree 100% with the sentiment that their E3 presentation was just "doing the same" there is a grain of truth to it. They'll have to convince people that PS3 is the better console without focussing on DRM now. They have a PR head start so let's see if they capitalise on it.

I, for one, can't wait to see the interviews with Microsoft guys after this. Especially after some of them so passionately stuck by their DRM policies just a couple days ago.

Yuuki said:
Confused as to whether MS planned this whole thing from the beginning as a publicity stunt (riding on the "no such thing as bad publicity" chestnut) OR whether they were genuinely behind this whole thing and then had a change of heart after seeing people's feedback.
I HIGHLY doubt it was the former. Granted Microsoft marketers aren't infallible, but I refuse to believe they'd think the "New Coke" gambit would ever work. It never works. It's just an absurd plan making them look, at first, bad, and after the change, like indecisive idiots. They'll have seen the awful negative reactions from the gaming public, press, and probably investors, and then realised they had made a terrible error.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Still not getting one, if it's this easy to remove, in a few years time, what's to stop them having a new agreement popup when you sign in and make you update the machine to have all the nasty stuff people didn't like installed.

They have shown their true colors and I will not trust them at all.
Yuuki said:
I love that, thank whoever made that. If it was you, thank you.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Big piece of humble pie for Microsoft. Thought I think the damage may be already done. It will take a lot to win back consumer good will now.
Considering they were shooting themselves in the foot up to the eleventh hour, the damage really should be done.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Jim, I think we should thank god for the "vocal minority of gamers" and Jimmy Fallon this time.
And thank god for you too.

Now... what about that Kinnect...

MichaelPalin

Oct 20, 2011
People, people, this is the perfect time to force Valve (Steam) and EA (Origin) to do the same. You, journalists, take the telephone right now and ask those companies why we cannot sell and lend our disc-based games on PC!? And people, for Christ sake, stop buying from those companies until they remove DRM from disc-based games!

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Wow. They did do it? I thought it was just a rumor.

Well, cool.

Sad for them to say it's too little too late. :p

Jim is right. They would have done it if it was up to them, and they could do it later if they really wanted too.

Thank God for you Jim.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
Smilomaniac said:
There's no remorse, no admission, no careful deliberation(that we've seen) or any other basic fucking common ground that they've met us on and I'd sooner put my money on someone who sticks to DRM because they believe in it, than people who'll have a change of heart so quickly, just to please the crowd momentarily.

My bet is that they'll reverse this in the future. You can bet your ass that they'll be legally covered in whatever "Press Button to Accept" terms you'll see on the xbone, to do so.
Absolutely the massive RED FLAG that this news has.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Entitled said:
Also a great new proof of the truth of the older "why complaining is more effective than boycotts" episode.

For everyone who was moaning about how people should just shut up on online forums and vote with their wallet, well, here is the result of not shutting up.
I'd say it was a combination of the two, gamers flipping them off at every chance with Sony only feeding the fire combined with the Xbone tanking in preorders while Sony's skyrocketed. I believe it was a one-two punch that pretty much forced their hands or face complete ruin.

This is still not going to change my mind about not getting one, but this is still a big victory for gamers and consumers rights. As Jim said we should never forget nor should we drop our guard, we still need to keep up the pressure if we want to keep them from trying to pull this shit again.

Be proud, be vigilant!

Wyvern65

May 29, 2013
A nuanced response to joyous news, Mr. Sterling. That you wrote, shot, and uploaded it this quickly, and that it lived up to your usual standard in spite of all that, deserves kudos as well.

As for the DRM reversal, I'm still angry at MS. Maybe that will change. If I do break down somewhere down the road and buy a XBone, at least I won't be supporting policies I loathed.

*insert obligatory 'thank god for you' here*

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Nice Kir-Bee shirt, Jim!

I'm still getting a PS4, though. Even though the DRM is erased, and even if the XbOne didn't hold onto Kinect for $100 more, none of their exclusives interest me very much. Also, the PS4 will have many more indie games, and the PS4 will have access to some PS3 games, and the PS4 has some bundles with discounts on Plus (albeit with either Killzone 4 or Battlefield 4).

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
As I said in another thread, color me surprised. Didn't think they'd ever do it, but they did.

Can't say I trust them, though. But then again, I don't have any plans for buying next-gen consoles anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.