Jimquisition: Xbox One No DRM Emergency Special!

mbarker

Nov 12, 2008
This reminds me of the saying "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". DRM gone? how long does it take them to bring DRM back. I'm not going to be yanked around by this company's console and I'm not going to buy into their "we care about the consumers, even-though we really don't" crap either. I'll never buy another XBox.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
MichaelPalin said:
People, people, this is the perfect time to force Valve (Steam) and EA (Origin) to do the same. You, journalists, take the telephone right now and ask those companies why we cannot sell and lend our disc-based games on PC!? And people, for Christ sake, stop buying from those companies until they remove DRM from disc-based games!
Did you miss the news? Somebody found a new string of code in Steam since the last patch that includes this:
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicense_Title" "Shared game library"
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_OwnerText" "Just so you know, your games are currently in use by %borrower%. Playing now will send %borrower% a notice that it's time to quit."
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_BorrowerText" "This shared game is currently unavailable. Please try again later or buy this game for your own library."

Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125168-Rumor-Game-Sharing-Coming-To-Steam?utm_source=news&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all#VX0501WvOrzlIeIB.99
Also, if Microsoft can remove it in a few hours they can reestablish it in a few hours.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Too little too late I'm afraid.

Unlike the "new coke" debacle that resulted in increased sales after they did a 180. Microsoft has undoubtedly lost millions by pissing off loyal fans. Hell I've said it before I planned on getting one because developers can't stop suckling at Microsoft's money teat and pretty much convinced themselves that delaying DLC was alright so long as they got paid more to do so. Looking like my PS1-3 will have another sibling to join its ranks.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Seracen said:
I agree, however, that I will not forget what was done here. Just as I have sworn off buying EA and Capcom games unless used or on sale (due to their policies), I will not buy XBONE until they've proven to me that they won't go back on their word again.

To wit, that means a solid year of waiting, playing PS4 in the meanwhile (assuming I buy next gen at launch at all). By then, they'll have worked out the kinks and gotten a decent stable of games (and had plenty of opportunity to screw the consumer over again with some form of BS).
Same here, I was planning to wait a year before getting any console regardless, but the fact that Microsoft decided to even CONSIDER this DRM and 24 hour check in garbage, even if they turned around later like they have, not to mention actually put it in means that it'll be an easy wait.

I knew they were going to backpedal on this DRM crap so fast they'd pull a Superman and go back in time, and if they can do it so quickly they can easily go back and reverse that. Besides, it requires an internet connection to download the patch needed to remove this stuff, why couldn't they have had it factory installed?

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
Agreed to everything in the vid. This is good. Makes the X1 a possible gaming choice for me, and keeps Sony on a shorter leash by having MS not be as much the bad guy.

But they can reverse it.

I need a guarantee they won't.

And make Kinect optional.

Then I'm interested.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
I didn't realize how much I had been looking forward to this video until I noticed this thread. It's great to see changes being made to support the consumer, but part of me wanted to see the Xbox One stay as it was come launch; just to see if any of the ideas they were trying to push would suddenly make sense when the world had access to the console.

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
The whole thing reminds me of this:

Pretty funny (and grossly oversimplifying problems), but... yeah.

Also, Microsoft went on record for saying that the first Kinect was shit because it was an add-on piece of hardware thrown in as an afterthought, and this time around it'll be built for the console. Also, a spy-cam?

It's amazing how much rhetoric is still going around these days. Sony "slaying the green dragon" or whatever the hell people are talking about these days. But hey, let's all conjecture about how well the hardware works before anyone's really had the chance to even use it.

Chaos42

Feb 25, 2010
don't trust microsoft -they planned to pull this shit meaning their fully prepared to do this -i don't trust them not to do it -once its been bought whats to stop microsoft from implementing this kind of crap on consumes -nil and you have bought the system your stuck with it -if they make it toxic their will be no way to sell it and all they have to do is tell retailers not to accept returns because retailers can only do that if they can get a refund themselves from the company if they can't there is no way they will do it -plus all they have to do is wait to drop it wait 6 months or less and most people will be outside the return window -and then bag caught in the trap -i say we go with sony as they have said they have no intention of shafting us like this-and as long as we keep an eye on them i think they will stay honest -as long as we watch them =though this is a comforting sight as a company sees the wrath of its fan base it shows that when we move as one and show our rage we can actually make these bastards do what we tell them to -next project is getting the price of games at launch lowered to about 49.99 again. Seriously though i think thats the next major thing we need to get pissed off at

Banzaiman

Jun 7, 2013
Huh. So the DRM and digital requirements aren't crucial for the architecture to work or whatever. It's not necessary for this 'dream console' to work well.

Of course, we all knew that already. We saw through that bullshit excuse. Which was where the flak was coming from.

This is ultimately a good thing, but it kind of sickens me that after all that - after all of Don's smiling and appeasing and crappy claims - they're getting rid of the DRM. It's not sickening because it belongs there, it's sickening because they're not even trying to hide the fact that this was all bullshit and they were doing it for their own interests.

Reversing their shitty practices has done and will do more good than harm, but it's just a disgusting tell of both how self-centered MS is and how little integrity they actually have for their own supposed ideas.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
PatrickXD said:
I'm really disappointed with the reversal of opinion. What made the Xbone interesting to me - the always online connectivity, family sharing and mandatory Kinect - has been somewhat put down. I was looking forward to what exactly 'cloud computing' can do, I was interested in more games adopting systems like Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. You know, integrating the single and multiplayer experience? Game developers can no longer guarantee that every user has access to the internet, which could have been an interesting point to develop from. Now, well, we'll never know.
And that's what hurts about this. What the Xbone was doing was unprecedented. Don't get me wrong, I know that doesn't mean good, inherently. It's just, and bear with me here, nobody has to buy the Xbox One. The PS4 was always an option, and a cheaper one at that. If you don't have an internet connection, you have the option of - no, not the xbox 360 - the PS4. It's there. It's a choice. A safe choice. It's not changing anything. The Xbone? Previously we didn't know if it would be a safe choice. We didn't know if it was what we wanted. It certainly wasn't a rich dark roast. And that's what we want, isn't it? We all want a rich dark roast. We all sing together that we know what we want and what we want is a rich dark roast.

The Xbone could have been a game changer. Microsoft has decided now to go where the money is, abandon it's backbone and chase after every ounce of hype and every last dollar. And now we will never know, at least not for another 8 years, if the Xbone's original system is in fact a great one.

For posterity, I wholly support being able to just, you know, give people discs.

EDIT: I just thought I'd point out something that really irks me about this whole Xbone situation, as I feel it represents the gaming industry and culture as a whole.
People complain, day in and day out, about the lack of change in games. The repetition of the exact same systems and stories from past generations of game. And yet, when Microsoft tried something new with a console, everyone cried 'What's wrong with the way things are? Can't everything just be the same? Everything is fine here, we don't need change!'.
Food for thought.
I understand where your coming from and your right that some of the features are quite interesting and had promise, however, their PR showed they have little regard for their consumer. It's not the idea that's bad, it's the execution both with PR and the console. If they have those features as options, so people that want to use them, I have no issues with it. Theres no reason the game can't go into an offline mode, they wanted to force always online onto us which is a no go. You don't 'force' your consumer to accept illegal (in many countries) practices by locking out fair trading of games except at 'certain retailers'. That's called a monopoly, and a breach in free commerce.
Honestly I wish they could have had the nice features without being dicks and with a simple 'offline mode' for the licence holder, I can understand the family members/friends needing to be online to prevent people abusing the system, but the person with the disc should have had a simple offline mode that's verified by the disc itself.

Banzaiman

Jun 7, 2013
PatrickXD said:
EDIT: I just thought I'd point out something that really irks me about this whole Xbone situation, as I feel it represents the gaming industry and culture as a whole.
People complain, day in and day out, about the lack of change in games. The repetition of the exact same systems and stories from past generations of game. And yet, when Microsoft tried something new with a console, everyone cried 'What's wrong with the way things are? Can't everything just be the same? Everything is fine here, we don't need change!'.
Food for thought.
I'm sorry, this just doesn't sit well with me because it's a cry of hypocrisy when there really is none. In your own words, people complain about the lack of games and didn't like that Microsoft brought out a new console. That's not hypocrisy, that's liking the platforms that are in existence already and wanting something better to play on them. I know what you're getting at, and the fact that people are collectively crying for sameyness seems very off-putting, but I don't think it's the same thing as you're making it sound. I've never had an issue with my console - I just wish there was a wider variety of games on it than the slurry of shooters and comparatively small number of non-shooter titles.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Blue Ranger said:
Apparently you still need an internet connection for the first time set-up of the system? What the hell is with that garbage? What, it can't work right out of the box?
Well if for no other reason, than they are going to have to use a day one patch to strip out all of the DRM junk that they just promised us won't be there. I mean you know that any process or code that does that has been in no way tested yet, or even developed. They sat down in a high level meeting, asked an engineer can the DRM and always online be disabled? They answered yes, probably, and the execs ran with it to the nearest camera, leaving the engineers struggling to get out the pitfalls and problems.

Think of it this way troops. We won a battle today. But not yet the war. The Creepy Skynet Kinect box is still reuqired (Unless all of europe bans that sucker). And maybe getting them to beat their XBL Gold pricing down to PS+? Just as our little way of reminding them who's in charge now?

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
PatrickXD said:
I'm really disappointed with the reversal of opinion. What made the Xbone interesting to me - the always online connectivity, family sharing and mandatory Kinect - has been somewhat put down. I was looking forward to what exactly 'cloud computing' can do, I was interested in more games adopting systems like Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. You know, integrating the single and multiplayer experience? Game developers can no longer guarantee that every user has access to the internet, which could have been an interesting point to develop from. Now, well, we'll never know.
And that's what hurts about this. What the Xbone was doing was unprecedented. Don't get me wrong, I know that doesn't mean good, inherently. It's just, and bear with me here, nobody has to buy the Xbox One. The PS4 was always an option, and a cheaper one at that. If you don't have an internet connection, you have the option of - no, not the xbox 360 - the PS4. It's there. It's a choice. A safe choice. It's not changing anything. The Xbone? Previously we didn't know if it would be a safe choice. We didn't know if it was what we wanted. It certainly wasn't a rich dark roast. And that's what we want, isn't it? We all want a rich dark roast. We all sing together that we know what we want and what we want is a rich dark roast.

The Xbone could have been a game changer. Microsoft has decided now to go where the money is, abandon it's backbone and chase after every ounce of hype and every last dollar. And now we will never know, at least not for another 8 years, if the Xbone's original system is in fact a great one.

For posterity, I wholly support being able to just, you know, give people discs.

Food for thought.
Sorry but I wholeheartedly disagree. Nothing Microsoft brought to the table with the Xbone improved the gaming experience for the customer in any way. All these new features did was take even more rights away from the consumer and allowed game publishers an avenue to do likewise. Instead of a more powerful console to play good games on they decided they needed to saddle their customers with something akin to an alien facehugger because apparently they don't care what the customer wants, but only what THEY want. If they'd stuck to their guns and launched the console as announced it would still have all the same shitty rehashed games we see every generation because that is a failing of the game makers not the console designers, only this time we'd have less freedom and versatility to play them. So please stop treating Microsoft as the victim. They made some stupid and arrogant design choices for their own benefit and this time the gaming public, their customer base they seemed to have ignored when dreaming up this monstrosity, told them to go fuck themselves.

Its a great day for freedom, Goliath? Meet David.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I understand how some people could feel a bit let-down by the retraction of some of the console's online features, but the problem isn't in the family sharing or the thirty days before-trade-authorized limitation. In and of itself, I doubt most people were honestly angry about the always-online connection, because the fact is, most of us are already always online.

The thing is, though; we like to be always online because we chose to be. We like the convenience of a persistent connection, but not the idea that someone else is using it to spy on us every twenty-four hours. We enjoy the accessibility being always online brings us, but we value our privacy. I never turn my router or my modem off and I'm technically always sending pings to my ISP ? but I value the idea of being able to pull the plug while remaining functional on some base-line level. Privacy's the main motivator, yes ? but there's also the fact that North America's Internet coverage is still extremely spotty. We're definitely not at the point where our infrastructure is so solid as to allow for an honestly and openly always-online system to work adequately. That goes without mentioning the issue of soldiers being abroad, who'd very much like to have access to some quality entertainment, but who'd be boned by any system that's seriously dependent on reliable broadband. If there's spots in the US where the most you can hope to get is 56K dialup access or ADSL-comparable satellite access, you can bet your ass there's going to be huge swaths of terrain, abroad, where the online offering will be even worse ? if not nonexistent.

Considering, Steam and Origin have Offline modes. Considering, several games still come in physical retail copies you can technically play without the Web needing to get involved. Finally, considering that inadequacy ? old games that predate DRM are suddenly appealing on the technical level.

The long and short of it is that if Microsoft wants to drag its consumer base into what it thinks is the technological model of the future ? it has to rethink its priorities. People want to swap discs between friends and relatives and shareholders want reassurance that sales won't slip through their fingers.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Either we give in and lose several decades' worth of acquired and expected consumer rights and eventually get past the shock to review the copyright and ownership culture from the ground up ? or they give in and realize that evolution always sees resistance. They'll have to bend past those things consumers aren't willing to let go of, rather than assume that ?educating? the user base will be sufficient.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Yuuki said:
I have to disagree. They were coy about their DRM at first and were quite vague until they were, basically, forced to clarify. It wasn't front and centre; only the press coverage focused on it.

Always online DRM has been building as a force for years now, and a lot of people expected one of the two consoles to have some form of used game restrictions for a long while before any of the reveals. It was really only a matter of time before one of the big players introduced something like that to curb the used game and pirate market. It would have gone over well with publishers and content providers who want secure controls over how their content is used.

Microsoft would have known it would have been a hard pill to swallow, but I don't think they realised exactly HOW hard. If this DOES work out ok for them in the end it won't be due to them "pretending" to have awful DRM. It will be despite it.