Jimquisition: Xbox One No DRM Emergency Special!

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
nevarran said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
You mean like major publishers still try to pull on PC all-digital platforms?

Don't pretend companies would magically turn over a new leaf with the Xbox One.
Valve does. EA and Ubi are building their stuff as well, they just can't afford to anger the retailers.
GOG's killing it. The guys at CDPR are making their game, putting it on their own servers and selling it. They don't need a publisher, for this, let alone retailers.
X180's initial policy was destroying disc games, that would've been a big step towards digital only distribution.
Now back at square one.
They were trying to take step five before they took steps one, two, three, and four. Consoles need to do a lot more to justify moving toward a near-all digital format. They don't get to suddenly move into it without providing a lot more of what PC provides customers first.

grumpymooselion

May 5, 2011
"Maybe it's that I find it hard to forgive the follies and vices of others, or their offenses against me. My good opinion, once lost, is lost forever."

- Mr. Darcy

I am glad they reversed their decision, but like Jim, I will never forget what they tried to do. I will never forget any of the things companies have done, or tried to do, and I will still not be buying an Xbox One. Why? Because shame on me if I do. Knowing they could reverse this decision again, that the system is set up to go this route again at any time I cannot, and will not, in good conscience support a company that even 'tried' to do this. No matter that they reversed their decision, they tried to do this, and I respect that, but I cannot forget. I cannot forget that Microsoft employee after Microsoft employee treated people that thought their old policy was bod like freaks, and some even responded to criticism and question - just questions - with anger and annoyance. This is not the way a company I want to buy from treats critics and customers.

My good opinion, dear Microsoft, is indeed lost forever.

cieply

Oct 21, 2009
Microsoft does not listen to customers, no matter how many snarky critical videos would have been made, they just don't care. The only language such corporations speak is the business chart one. They did not back from anything after the reveal; E3 only cemented their misguided policies. However, miraculously, after a time that I assume would be enough to gather their firs preorder info, they had a change of heart. Let noone get fooled, this is the only kind of argument they understand. There probably is a lot of research done on how preorders translate into later purchases, it surely allows companies to do some accurate estimates. I can only guess that prepurchases that they saw now must have made them shit a metaphorical brick.

Microsoft did not reverse all the bad things it's doing. It merely tries to do damage control and then signify it with their massive PR money. It is still a console for which you have to pay 100$ more in order to get a device that will be a quite useless gimmick at best, and an easily hackable spying device at best. With the whole PRISM scandal, I would be extra careful about what devices such as this are capable of learning about me. It still is a 100$ more expensive piece of hardware with inferior specs.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
They were trying to take step five before they took steps one, two, three, and four. Consoles need to do a lot more to justify moving toward a near-all digital format. They don't get to suddenly move into it without providing a lot more of what PC provides customers first.
Oh, I agree. MS are a bunch of arrogant morons, and they are to blame for all this shit-storm.
Had they have been able to communicate their vision and plans with us, in a more understandable and consumer-friendly manner, even take a step back, if necessary, the change, I think needs to happen, would have.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Great news, now you can all go buy it on release date without guilt. ^^

Jenny Jones

Jun 10, 2013
Oh they've reviewed their DRM policy and other shitty stuff, ok I'll get one now...

NO! That kind of attitude is not good. M$ should be burned for even suggesting all this to begin with, they deserve to have a failed system and exit the console market. Buying something because they reversed their shitty policy does not excuse the behaviour especially when it's been so easy to do a 180 on it. If you think it will stop here you're laughing. They will keep pushing and pushing with new and insidious ways to skrew the consumer over. If ever there was a time to familiarise yourself with consumer rights with regards to shop and online purchases now is the time.

Jim is right, don't ever forget this and be vigilant.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
PatrickXD said:
I just thought I'd point out something that really irks me about this whole Xbone situation, as I feel it represents the gaming industry and culture as a whole.
People complain, day in and day out, about the lack of change in games. The repetition of the exact same systems and stories from past generations of game. And yet, when Microsoft tried something new with a console, everyone cried 'What's wrong with the way things are? Can't everything just be the same? Everything is fine here, we don't need change!'.
Food for thought.
No change is better than a bad change. Say every day, a man comes up and kicks you in the shins. You'd want change right? If that change were to be the man coming back with steel toe-caps, you'd think that perhaps this isn't the change you wanted.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I must say I'm surprised that this happened - but now the question is what'll happen next

I'm guessing that M$ will enable some kind of online registration of your Xbone games to enable the 'steam-like' feature for your disc-bought games, adding that doing so will lock it to your account, but then allow you to download it from other xbone's that you log on to

...and if you ever want to sell it, you just de-register the game online to 'free up' the disc so you can go and sell it

This is perfectly doable and enables both systems.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Xbox One drops its shitty DRM policies and the fastest Jimquisition on record?!?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Great, they brought two componenets up to par with what Sony was already doing. Now they just need to give us anything that is actually better than the alternative. Then they need to give us ENOUGH things that are better than the alternative because right now I'm still stinging from the slap they gave would-be consumers.

They saw all this as the future and simply tried to make it happen. Same with the Win8 GUI (that I happen to personally like) where they forced it instead of making it optional when they could have. Dumb.

This still does not fix:

1. The console being weaker.
2. The console being more expensive.
3. The whole kinect debacle that watches you while you touch yourself any time the Xbone is on and is required for use.
4. The console likely requiring cloud computing to compete with the ps4 in a few years (because the ps4 is estimated to be around 50% more powerful and Sony also has cloud processing capabilities of their own). This will effectively require always on and be a logistics nightmare if they plan to double or triple the computing power while getting all that data across the network instantly to NOT lag your single player experience.
5. Their 2 games/month is still ending in December 2013. Meaning that their membership service is more expensive and less valuable.
6. The fact that they purposefully treated the consumer like crap. Literally telling reporters that consumers were too dumb to pay attention to details. I couldn't believe they actually said that their data showed that. They actually gave us insight into the negative way they view us as mindless money bags. There's nothing they can do to this short of admitting fault and basically groveling and even that may not do the trick here. If they do stuff like this when they think they have leverage and only undo it when it's clear they don't, then we can't have faith in them as a company in the future. Sure, future consoles should be backwards compatible if they exist, but will we want the next Xbox? Not if they stick to their guns then. The ps3 may have done some weird stuff, but that was cost and difficulty for developers. Not an outright war on consumers' rights and wants. If the message at Microsoft is that the consumer is always dumb and always wrong, then I can't justify giving them more money than I have to.

Comparing Microsoft with the PS4 still results in the PS4 having all positives or equivalent scores while giving Microsoft all negatives or equivalent scores. It's quite staggering that they dropped the ball this much and even such a bold move only brings them up to par.

mistahzig1

May 29, 2013
Microsoft should do a parody of Sony's "How to lend a game to a friend" video: the EXACT same thing, but with 2 guys with black eyes and missing teeth...

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Ladies, gentlemen, friends, Romans, countrymen, let it be known that today we won. However, don't get complacent. Any more of this DRM garbage or treating-the-customers-like-criminals-until-proven-otherwise-and-we're-in-a-good-mood bullshit comes from any company, not just Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, whoever, you say "we don't want that, we won't buy it," they'll take notice. The internet is your bullhorn, people. Get to shouting.

Viva la customer revolution.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
ritchards said:
OT: I'm still predicting that this was not planned, and they quickly patched code... which will break.
I have strong feeling that it was planned before E3, considering the DRM stuff wasn't mentioned at all during the conference and they canceled all interviews that were to take place after, that way they wouldn't get anymore questions about the DRM stuff.
The blunder happened when Angry Joe surprised Major Nelson with questions when Nelson was on his way between meetings.

I willing to bet that Nelson was under some-kind of no talk rule about the new changes until it got official announced, so he still had to act like the Xbox One was still going to have the DRM. Well, either that or with how slow Microsoft's PR department is and how it seems that their left hand doesn't know what the right is doing, Nelson might not have even known yet at E3 that the DRM was being revoked.

Edit: On the code thing, Microsoft has four months to get the stuff fixed, so at least they have some time.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
MinionJoe said:
Techno Squidgy said:
No change is better than a bad change. Say every day, a man comes up and kicks you in the shins. You'd want change right? If that change were to be the man coming back with steel toe-caps, you'd think that perhaps this isn't the change you wanted.
Whereas Sony has kicked customers in the shins for years and years, and then suddenly said that they're going to stop.

That promised change makes them awesome?
You're putting words in my mouth.

To continue with this increasingly silly metaphor, you'd be grateful that they stopped but you'd still keep an eye on him in case he started again.

What have Sony done that's been so terrible anyway? I can't think of anything, but clearly there's something, maybe many things, that I've forgotten or not thought about.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Well, this video exists now. Huzzah for NMATV!
http://youtu.be/tRJ97ZeK_BQ

Honestly, the flak Microsoft took is their own fault. If they were straight up with us from the get go, and didn't dodge questions and gave us information, and maybe prepared their spokeman Major Nelson with info, and spoilered their vision for the future a bit more, and, well, didn't expect buyers to jump in more or less blind with few solid facts, they might not have taken the heat they did.

They should've used some tact, and diplomacy to explain things better.

All in all, I think they ended up generating all the wrong impressions. All they really talked about in gaming was restrictions, restrictions, restrictions. What freedoms were given came tied to heavy handed restrictions.

They seemed to show little forethought. Especially towards the military, charities, and so forth that rely on gaming initially.

We're talking about the Xbone, but not in any sort of positive light.

Seriously, I don't think we're ready for a pure digital DRM PC styled console. Didn't the PSP try an all digital download method already?

Honestly, it's going to be a while before I get any new console. I need to see their libraries grow first off. It's time that Xbone can use to get their stuff straight with me.

Right now, I'm content to stick to my current consoles for a while. There's this gen games that'll content me.

And I agree with the sentiments of never forget!
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance!

And honestly, this game sharing thing? Last I heard you can't play the game you lent while it's lent. Last thing I need is someone pestering me that they wanna play the game while I'm trying to enjoy it. Then again, it's friends only, and if I'm selective about who I add to my list it shouldn't be a problem. I'm gunna need more than one game though for when I'm kicked off of the game I'm lending. Sounds like a mess to me.