Jimquisition: Xbox One No DRM Emergency Special!

jackdaniel0001

Jun 8, 2011
I am hugely disappointed at this reversal. MS should have stuck to their gun, waited to see the results. I don't agree with their DRM and game policy, but I can buy PS4 instead. There are plenty of people who do agree with MS policy, and I feel those people got robbed of an potentially interesting purchasing option.

We had 2 distinct consoles and 2 very different gaming models, now we have only one. I say to each his/her own, if people are willing to put up the DRM crap for a digital/cloud system, they should be able to have that option.

Before:
People who like cloud/digital medium - Xbox1
People who don't care - PS4

After
People who like cloud/digital medium - ???
Everyone else - PS4/Xbox1

This reversal isn't a victory, it's bad news.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
MinionJoe said:
Techno Squidgy said:
You're putting words in my mouth.
Sorry. I like putting things in places. :D
Careful now!
To continue with this increasingly silly metaphor, you'd be grateful that they stopped but you'd still keep an eye on him in case he started again.
Exactly! Give them a chance, but keep the shin guards on. But I (at least) wouldn't suddenly become their best friend and pre-order their console.
I'm not Sony's best friend by any means, but they've certainly done a grand job of selling the PS4 to me. It simply looks superior on all fronts, and apart from the fact that my PS3 is currently suffering from a YLoD, I've never had an issue with them.
What have Sony done that's been so terrible anyway? I can't think of anything, but clearly there's something, maybe many things, that I've forgotten or not thought about.
They created SecuROM. Granted, it was EA that used Sony's SecuROM that holed my previous PC, but Sony created the tool.
Sony created SecuROM? Well I'll be damned. What a nightmare that bastard was.
They sued customers for modifying the PS3. You don't license hardware and companies can't tell you not to make changes (so long as you're willing to invalidate your warranty). If you then use the modified hardware to do something illegal, that's a matter for law enforcement, not private companies.
Okay, yeah that's pretty shit. I bought the console, I can do whatever I damn well like with it. I could understand if they prevented them from accessing PSN from a modded console, but suing?
They regularly block YouTube content with even a hint of Sony content. Captain Sparklez still has a video locked because Sony (and Universal) thought it was too close to their content, even though it was a completely new and derivative work.
I'm probably going to put this down to lawyers being lawyers. All copyright legislation is bullshit anyway.
So, yes, Sony has a habit of kicking customers in the shins. Hard and repeatedly. This sudden turn-around with the PS4, while appreciated, does not mean I'm giving them a free pass.
No me neither, but that should go without saying. We should always be watching what the game industry is up to.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
I want to see that Jimmy Fallon clip about the DRM but I can't find anything other than him shilling demos for both the consoles.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Good but microsoft don't deserve to be thanked or applauded for this decision, remember the absence of abuse does not equal kindness. We still have the kinect, or affectionately HAL, the only time I would find this useful is if I needed a pacemaker and if my heart stopped the console will dial up emergency services, but since that isn't the case screw them, since I do not trust MS in the slightest and expect them to turn on these 'features' back on in a service update at some point, like the PS3 got rid of some services in updates. I was going to skip this generation of consoles but the PS4 is looking more and more attractive.

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
PatrickXD said:
I'm really disappointed with the reversal of opinion. What made the Xbone interesting to me - the always online connectivity, family sharing and mandatory Kinect - has been somewhat put down.
you're kidding right?

I take it you haven't been paying attention to diablo 3 or sim shitty? Hell, even WoW.

Always online can't be done. Secondly, what the hell man? Don't you have any desire for privacy? As well as the fact the xbone 180 will be doing things that you can get a smart tv to do, and the smart tv will do it better and cheaper.

It's supposed to be for gaming. Xbox gold membership requirements, average hardware, always on multitasking, forced kinect use. No, not even close to a decent gaming machine. If you want your connectivity so badly, get a pc. It'll do it better and cheaper.

As for your dark souls thing.. er, dark souls did it, so i assume we will know. Otherwise the xbone 180 is a travesty and even the reverse from DRM barely makes it palatable.

(so we're clear this isn't bias, this is xbro betrayal anger)

weirdsoup

Jul 28, 2010
Sorry to pop the jubilation bubble, but this is not a victory. This is Microsoft at their money grubbing, self-interest serving best.

I fully expect this whole ugly saga to raise it's head once enough people have bought Xbones because they think that MS has backed down. Then like some video game version of the Borg, these Xbones will awaken and enslave us. Or at least remove our ability to trade in games and turn off the Kinnect.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
The thing about change, and ultimately justice, is that it has to be objective and fair.
Yes, DRM is removed... the voice of the people has been heard.

It does NO real good if there is not at least some reward for capitulating. Otherwise you haven't really taught a lesson, you just won a battle.

If you slap a child for doing wrong, you may stop them from performing a bad behavior, but without the positive reinforcement to show that punishment is not just arbitrary, no lesson is learned. They'll just find a different way and revisit it again when people go to sleep.

You want the company to learn a lesson... FINISH THE LESSON. They heard the complaints, realized they made a grievous error, and reversed course. The message was sent and received. The community was heard. Now the community must show them that there is a BENEFIT to adjusting your business to suit the customer, not just at the START but even later if the need arises. People should be buying Xbox One now simply because Microsoft did something few corporations are doing these days... ACTUALLY listening to the customer complaints.

How many examples can you provide of Sony doing this? And I don't mean their yet to be realized promises with the PS4.
If you sit back and think about it, Sony for certain takes hard line stances and at least MS has shown a willingness to humble itself even if they did so out of greed.
When Sony installed hidden malware and rootkits on people's systems, instead of learning from it and apologizing, they pretty much said we were too stupid to even know what a rootkit was so why should we get all uppity?

Like Jim said, Forgive but never forget.. but forgiveness in the world of business means SUPPORT of a product. Otherwise, your forgiveness is about as useless as a fart in a hurricane.

theaudioprophet

Jun 19, 2013
geizr said:
[h4] A company hears and understands ONLY two sounds, the creak of your wallet opening and the slap of your wallet closing. All other sounds are noise to be ignored.[/h4].
My thoughts exactly. I don't think/hope Don will be renewing his gold account after his utterly retarded mouthfarts

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Only thing bad about this is that the whole 3 fanboys MS had before will grow to 100 and I will still have to deal with them all.

Seriously, its like I'm the only guy who likes Nintendo and Sony where I live lol

NoaNeumann

Oct 23, 2009
They've hurt their consumers and while some of the abused will be crawling back, others will not, they shall look at this as a chance to break away. Oh what's that? You mean you had to wait for consumers and all of the media to basically throw a GIANT fit at you before you did anything? Oh yeah MS, congrats, you basically waited to do something decent when you basically had no choice BUT to. I'd of loved to of been a fly on the wall of that conversation 'b-but money!' lol, I shall not forgive them, they've been dicks for a long time now, though now that I have seen their 'true' face of what they are capable of, I know now that MS is only hiding behind an apologetic mask, probably waiting till we all lower our guard them BOOM DRM and everything else is back, 'ha ha you already bought one, so :p' goes MS.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Entitled said:
Also a great new proof of the truth of the older "why complaining is more effective than boycotts" episode.

For everyone who was moaning about how people should just shut up on online forums and vote with their wallet, well, here is the result of not shutting up.
Who are these people saying that because you boycott something, you should also shut up? Boycotting almost always goes hand-in-hand with complaining. You don't boycott something and shut up, you boycott and tell everyone why you are boycotting.

In this case, don't you think that the "boycott" aspect was part of it? PS4 pre-orders were going through the roof, while few were pre-ording Xbones. I think Microsoft saw that "Holy shit, it looks like our sales might suffer" as the more significant factor than the complaining. It was like a pre-boycott, with people indicating how they were planning to spend their money.

Without that impetus, I don't think their policies would have changed before release.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Honestly, I'm still not convinced at all this. Sure, they've dropped one method, but they're keeping the compulsory Kinect, the Cloud system and other methods of controlling you and disk checking. And I'm betting after this, Microsoft isn't going to talk publicly about these methods either...

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
Yuuki said:
I read a very convincing argument from a friend on Facebook on why he thinks this was all part of the plan:

Markus Palm said:
Take a company like Microsoft, a multi-billion dollar corporation. It's in their utmost interest to be at the top when it comes to the console race to acquire revenue. They spent years researching the market and their consumer base. These corporations don't make "mistakes", especially not in this magnitude...
Sorry, that's not convincing at all. Big companies make huge mistakes all the time. And many of those mistakes are made because they are so big. Particularly in Microsoft's case, a sprawling, incoherent company comprised of many divisions with different agendas competing with one another (and an incompetent CEO).

These companies are run by multi-millionaires and billionaires surrounded by yes-men. People who have completely lost touch with the reality of the ordinary citizen's life. As for "market research" - if you've ever seen how that usually works, it's pretty much BS designed to get the answers the company wants.

In the wake of an era where we've seen the collapse of massive financial institutions, environmental disasters cause by huge companies' errors, and so forth, how can you take the "big corporations know exactly what they are doing" argument seriously? If Microsoft were so competent and all-knowing, then how did they let the entire mobile computing market be stolen from under them by a near-bankrupt underdog like Apple? How did they release Windows 8 to near-universal disdain?

The only plan this was part of, was part of executives' wet dream to have all consumers under their total control. It was never intended as an ironic marketing campaign. It's just that the executives thought that people wouldn't notice.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
unless they also reverse the limited release (not releasing it worldwide) this means fuck all for me since i cant get the damned thing even if i want to, so fuck you microsoft!

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
mdqp said:
\Yeah, but you don't have a single e-book format (not all e-books have DRM), and you can read e-books on all sorts of platforms, while Xbox One games are obviously only for the Xbox One, which means the digital market will almost assuredly be a monopoly (and they would have all had to stay under one big DRM umbrella), handled by Microsoft.
That's not what "monopoly" means. Yes, Xbone games will only work with the Xbone. But if the Xbone doesn't have a controlling position in the video game market, that isn't a monopoly.

On the other side of the coin, Kindle readers being available on multiple platforms does not mean that Amazon doesn't have a monopoly. Quite the contrary - if Amazon has a controlling position in eBooks, then it has a monopoly, even if its software is available on all platforms. In fact, having the software on all platforms could actually be considered even more monopolistic, if the main source of eBooks is Amazon, to the detriment of other suppliers.

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
They were trying to take step five before they took steps one, two, three, and four. Consoles need to do a lot more to justify moving toward a near-all digital format. They don't get to suddenly move into it without providing a lot more of what PC provides customers first.
Jim, it's sad to see you perpetuating this misuse of the word "digital."

How are any of the games we have used in the last three decades been anything but "all-digital"? The very basis of computing and video games is digital. Those games you buy on a disc? Those are all-digital. There is no analog component. The only non-digital computer games were obscure experiments in the 50s and 60s.

It's incredibly bizarre that people somehow think that only downloaded games are "digital" but games on a disc aren't. Remember the whole deal about Compact Discs? It was revolutionary because it was digital audio (and still is), compared to magnetic tape and phonographs. We've been living in a digital world for a long time. It's strange that people somehow confuse distribution models with fundamental technologies. I thought you would have known better than to buy into this nonsense, Jim.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
PatrickXD said:
I was looking forward to what exactly 'cloud computing' can do,
Sadly, I'm not sure that this whole cloud computing thing was actually real (as in it was making a huge difference, of course it technically exists), otherwise they wouldn't of been able to 180 so quickly. They were making it out to be some huge game-changer that without games would not be the same, and then they get rid of it and not a word is mentioned?