Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
bells said:
Crono1973 said:
bells said:
Crono1973 said:
I would say that it's the people who bought the game who have the most right to complain. That's just common sense though isn't it, something the game industry is obviously exempt from in your mind? Would you complain about a TV you DIDN'T buy?
Not when you complain about something you already knew you were buying. At that point... common sense went out the window already.
Nope, you can buy something and not like everything about it.
And yet, buying something KNOWING of a feature and then COMPLAINING about that EXACTLY feature you KNEW was there WAY before you payed UP FRONT for it, is just plain stupid...
So, you are 100% satisfied with everything you ever bought?

Volkov

Dec 4, 2010
Jim is completely correct of course. But I don't think it will change Blizzard's position. Sadly enough, it may very well be the financially correct decision for the company, even if it DOES lose them some sales. Because sadly enough, making the servers do all the work (and contain almost all of the single player game) is potentially one of the only possible functional DRM mechanisms. Even though even this may not work 100%, because, of course, look at WoW...

But I will say this. Every time I see shit like this, I feel instantly thankful to CD Projekt. I also made sure to purchase the GOG version, precisely because it didn't have DRM.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
The online DRM is always a pain, that much is for sure.

But you knew it was there. If you didn't like it, why did you buy it?

Boom129

Apr 23, 2008
Tommy Lynch said:
On the Skyrim topic: I know more than a few people who would have done anything to get their hands on it asap so if it had been delayed it would have caused even more controversy. especially among console fanboys, had the ps3 version been delayed while xbox and pc versions were released, the fallout would have been awful. now i know this statement reeks of the eat shit and like it rant Jim gifted us with but id rather enjoy a somewhat laggy Skyrim (I was lucky and had virtually no problems in this regard, my game ran smooth but i'm aware that many suffered) than a late Skyrim. Therein lies the problem, people wait five to ten years for sequels the developer is aware of this and knows it can push the boundaries cos the fans wont even allow complaints to be heard nor will they be able to resist buying it even though they may be aware of severe faults. So until we gamers can restrain ourselves the publishers will never learn.
Also removing the always online feature (or not adding it in the first place) from D3 would not have taken any great effort from Blizzard. Skyrim came out 7 months ago and is STILL getting bug fixes.
Not to say that I condone Zenimax giving us a half-broken game at launch, just that the two circumstances were significantly different

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
I've never understood this 'always online' system they're trying to implement in order to keep from being pirated.

Do they honestly think that their fanbase will be so vindictive to them that they'd pirate this game that they've been waiting several years for? If it's gonna get pirated, it's probably by people that aren't their audience that are simply curious about the whole thing. I'm pretty damn sure that the entire Blizzard community is mature enough to give Blizzard their pay.

This is just ridiculous. Blizzard's just being paranoid due to recent 'piracy issues' that, imo, have been pretty hugely exaggerated in the past few months.

Yvressian1

Apr 4, 2010
One question: In ten years time, if Blizzard decide to take down the servers for Diablo 3 because they're costing them money and isn't making any, are we going to be able to play it? Is it possible that we will theoretically be able to play Diablo 1&2 for the next 100 years, but not 3, despite buying it fairly?

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
Crono1973 said:
bells said:
Crono1973 said:
I would say that it's the people who bought the game who have the most right to complain. That's just common sense though isn't it, something the game industry is obviously exempt from in your mind? Would you complain about a TV you DIDN'T buy?
Not when you complain about something you already knew you were buying. At that point... common sense went out the window already.
Where did they warn about it? It's not on the box, it's not in the trailer, it's not in the TV spot and it's probably not even on that huge ass user agreement that no one reads.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
DanHibiki said:
Crono1973 said:
bells said:
Crono1973 said:
Where did they warn about it? It's not on the box, it's not in the trailer, it's not in the TV spot and it's probably not even on that huge ass user agreement that no one reads.
It says on the front of the box in really small print "Internet Connection Required".

It should say "You must be connected to the internet at all times to play this game". Internet connection required could mean anything. It could mean to download patches, it could mean that there is online activation and it could mean you need an always on connection. I'll bet they choose to keep it vague for dishonest reasons. Why else wouldn't they be more specific?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
SILENTrampancy said:
There needs to be a 'Satisfaction' Guarantee. I work in a grocery store and if the slightest problem occurs with a persons order, they are allowed a refund, regardless of what that problem might be. So long as the item was from OUR store and the customer was KNOWN to have bought it, they can return it, no questions asked.

Video games? Fuck, you pay for it, you never see your money back, unless you trade in a hard copy of a console game. PC gamers? Hell, so far, only Valve has given me money back when i asked for it, and that was for a broken game (Breach) and it was a paltry 10 bucks. If i had wanted to return my preoder of Dead Island (which i tried to do) I would have been scorned and shunned (which i was). It was probably because it was a store bought copy, but still; gamestop didn't give me my money back. Stardock didn't give me my money back.

So, i ask you this: Who the hell is accountable for customer satisfaction?

Cuz from here, it seems like they can push a completely broken product, and still never have to give money back to people who paid for it.
They can, the software industry in general is very abusive to customers because they know you have little recourse.

stiver

Oct 17, 2007
This guy is full of shit, and all the whiney self-entitled children are flat out wrong.

You are not paying for the right to play the game whenever you want. What you are paying for the ability to connect to the blizzard servers. That is it, and that is all it ever will be. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple.

This is not a situation where the rug was pulled out from under you. From the very beginning they laid out exactly how the game was going to be run. On their severs. They never gave you the impression it would be run locally. They never said their system would be infallible, handle 6 million connections, never have lag, etc. If you have a shit connection, that's your fault.

They designed the game the way they wanted too. You didn't have to purchase it, you don't get to complain about it. You don't like the way it is? Don't buy it. Simple, that is how capitalism works, that is how economics works, that is how quality control works.

That is all there is to it.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
The one thing I find truly despicable is that if any other company tried this they'd be raked over the coals and tarred and feathered. They would take a loss or barely break even, maybe if it was bad enough possibly (unlikely though it most likely would be) go under.

Not Blizzard, nope, they get to tell consumers what to do, when to do it, and they get paid to do so. They're going to make a mint off this it doesn't matter, and the implications for the industry will be detrimental. Blizzard might as well be snorting coke in front of a cop, while insulting your mom, and dropping a deuce in the brownie bowl for all the freaking impunity they tout.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
stiver said:
This guy is full of shit, and all the whiney self-entitled children are flat out wrong.

You are not paying for the right to play the game whenever you want. What you are paying for the ability to connect to the blizzard servers. That is it, and that is all it ever will be. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple.

This is not a situation where the rug was pulled out from under you. From the very beginning they laid out exactly how the game was going to be run. On their severs. They never gave you the impression it would be run locally. They never said their system would be infallible, handle 6 million connections, never have lag, etc. If you have a shit connection, that's your fault.

They designed the game the way they wanted too. You didn't have to purchase it, you don't get to complain about it. You don't like the way it is? Don't buy it. Simple, that is how capitalism works, that is how economics works, that is how quality control works.

That is all there is to it.
You are all heart, buddy.

Blizzard does not need your protection. The fact that Blizzard explained from the start how the game would work doesn't change or excuse the fact that what they did pull the rug from under many a gamer's feet. Not everyone can afford a connection that can match and work with the one that Blizzard's servers are supporting.

I am not paying to play the game whenever I like ? Umm, funny, that's how the concept of video gaming has been for the past 30 years or so. The ability to connect to Blizz's servers is via Battle.net accounts. If you like your wallet getting bent over, laggish dungeons, RMAH that next to noone asked for to begin with and are happy that Blizzard just made their problems yours, that's fine. Stop considering yourself supperior or harassing people due to their consumer choices cause you are one of the many that decided to cave in and fork over money.

And while on the subject, the DRM wasn't for quality control. Oh no, its' main purpose is to protect the real money auction house. The game has already been copied and anyone with a bolstered connection can play. So yeah, if DRM was indeed to help shield against pirates, it pretty much worked like crap. The game isn't cracked yet but when it will be via a server emulator, all of THIS, will have been for nothing.

And you just happen to know how a person thinks after waiting 10 years for this, am I right ? You sound like a people person. Let's see if you will think the same next time Blizzard decides to perform maintenance during your playtime. Or the time after that. Or the time after that.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
Crono1973 said:
DanHibiki said:
Crono1973 said:
bells said:
Crono1973 said:
It says on the front of the box in really small print "Internet Connection Required".

It should say "You must be connected to the internet at all times to play this game". Internet connection required could mean anything. It could mean to download patches, it could mean that there is online activation and it could mean you need an always on connection. I'll bet they choose to keep it vague for dishonest reasons. Why else wouldn't they be more specific?
yeah, I've been flipping over some of the boxes I have at work and it really doesn't make any mention of 'permanent' Internet connection required, unlike say Ubisofts Splinter Cell of Assassins creed 2.

Even the Amazon page doesn't even mention that it needs to connection at all.

That's not shady as all fuck, is it?

sleekie

Aug 14, 2008
I'm not mad about it. I expect bullshit and piss-taking from businesses.

I just didn't buy it. There are always other options, Blizzard, a couple of which are due to release soon, as it happens.

WitherVoice

Sep 17, 2008
The login problems were damn annoying. Blizzard could do what every new launch might be wise to do.

Servers are expensive. You don't want to spec for peak load or you'll be bleeding money, SIGNIFICANT money, at normal load. To handle peak load, rent server space. It's out there, LOADS of it, and you can afford it. The goodwill and astonishment a successful, non-bogged launch provides alone is worth it, not to mention the money you saved on not speccing for peak load.

But there's complaining and there's complaining. Blizz not providing the service we paid for is completely and totally complain-worthy, but the decision to make the game always-online removes a much larger amount of complexity from the system as a whole than most people realize. On the sadder yet unfortunately still relevant other side of the argument, it hits a lot of money-words for the people who put dollar signs on everything, and having those people nervous makes very bad work environments happen for the creative people.

Tl;dr: I don't mind always-on requirement, but I require that the service be available for me.

I'd like to bring up another point that MAY have been mentioned in the thread already: I fear for the future of this generation of games. I mean, I love blowing the dust off an old console and play one of my good old games that I used to love. Sometimes the nostalgia trip dies horribly, but often I have a grand time. THIS generation of games will in large part not be playable in 10-15 years, because servers the game hits up in order to play will no longer be around. SOME companies might free their games from these restrictions, but many will not. I recently played Duke Nukem 3D again, and it was a fun time to frag a friend for a while. I also remember playing Bad Company 2, I think it was... can you multiplay that at all anymore? If you still can... sooner or later you won't be able to. The game, with whatever good and bad it ever offered, is essentially dead forever. At the very least the upgrade systems and shit will no longer apply, as no server records your progress and gives you new toys. Will this generation's games, at least a fairly large part of them, be lost to the ages?

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
It is simply astounding how many people are ready to jump to blizzards defense. I guess the taste of guano has special meaning for these people.

"You knew what you were paying for, dont complain" ...yeah thats right, it says right there on D3's box art "This game will not be playble at launch and gameplay in general will be shit because our servers are powered by a handicapped hamster"

Seriously are these guys getting paid by Blizzard or are they just that deep in denial? You pay money, you get what you were descriped having in exchange for your money. Especially since PC gaming these days means you wont get refunds unless the game is completely broken. How is this difficult?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
ThunderCavalier said:
I've never understood this 'always online' system they're trying to implement in order to keep from being pirated.

Do they honestly think that their fanbase will be so vindictive to them that they'd pirate this game that they've been waiting several years for? If it's gonna get pirated, it's probably by people that aren't their audience that are simply curious about the whole thing. I'm pretty damn sure that the entire Blizzard community is mature enough to give Blizzard their pay.

This is just ridiculous. Blizzard's just being paranoid due to recent 'piracy issues' that, imo, have been pretty hugely exaggerated in the past few months.
The always online thing is mostly to protect their newest source of income, the Real Money Auction House.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
TitsMcGee1804 said:
You're comparing a game that came out three years ago on a pretty short development time with no budget to one that's been in development for what? Eight years and had All the Money?

Lets wait to see Torchlight 2 before we talk about levels of polish between games. You know, the one that measures up far better to D3.
what the hell does it matter how long its been in development for? If the game lacks polish i dont care if its a AAA publisher with 10 years to make or an indie studio with 2...

stop making excuses for sub standard games!