Jimquisition: You Should Be Mad at Diablo III's Always Online DRM

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Since C&C4 I have a principle
If game needs constant internet connection for single player- FUCK THAT GAME!!!
Even if it is good/anticipated game, fuck that!
Not going to buy it.
Not going to pirate it.
Not going to touch it by any means.
Not going to be anywhere near it.
And will avoid of thinking about it.
Because I learned this the hard way.
(I wish I had pirated C&C4, instead of buying that shit- to be honest that game had more issues than constant online requirement, but that wasn't helping either)
I may be only one consumer, but this is my way of showing middle finger to developers/publishers who dare to pull this off.
Who knows, maybe if there will be more people who act similar, developers/publishers eventually will get the lesson.

I understand online validation during installation, but now even that isn't enough.
Now you need to have constant internet connection, and if it isn't stable, your game will be unplayable.
What next? To play a game we will need to implant transmitter in the neck that will check if we are playing our game copy? And if someone else tries to play it transmitter blows up?
I bet if they could, developers/publishers would request such measures.

P.S. I don't get it. What's with the old man photos?

captcha: beats me
(yes this DRM reminds beating)

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
krellen said:
The primary difference is how they are sold. WoW is sold as a service - subscribe to our service, get our servers. Diablo, however, is being sold as a product - buy our game, then you can play it.
D3 is just as much of a service (and product) as WoW. Instead of having a monthly subscription D3 has the RMAH. That's how the D3 service is being paid for. This means a ton of people will get a service without having to pay for it.

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
The ONLY aspect of Blizzard's setup that makes Diablo III a MMO is that every player is required to log into a server to play. But is D3 a true MMO? Absofuckinglutely not. It is in reality an online single player with a four person Co-Op option.

Blizzard's retarded decision to go online required for this even in single player is horrendous. They knew what kind of loads would be sploodged all over their servers at launch but completely failed to provide adequate coverage. Another thing that really pisses me off is their choice to arbitrarily shut the servers down on a whim to fix minor bugs that can wait for server maintenance.

All in all Blizzard screwed this one up, and badly.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
Walter Byers said:
krellen said:
The primary difference is how they are sold. WoW is sold as a service - subscribe to our service, get our servers. Diablo, however, is being sold as a product - buy our game, then you can play it.
D3 is just as much of a service (and product) as WoW. Instead of having a monthly subscription D3 has the RMAH. That's how the D3 service is being paid for. This means a ton of people will get a service without having to pay for it.
Without having to pay for it? It costs $60.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I'm just gonna throw [a href="http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-diablo-iii-represents-gamings-annoying-future/"]this[/a] out here because I think it describes the problem pretty damn well.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Walter Byers said:
Skyrim is a single player game because it can have at most one player. D3 is a multiplayer game because it can have more than one player. This is what it means to be single player and multiplayer.
Anything that has a single player mode is a single player game. If it only has single player, that simply means it's a single player only-game. Same with multiplayer: if it's got it, it's a multiplayer game. If the only option you have is multiplayer, it's multiplayer only. Very, very simple distinction.

And yes, that means Diablo 3 is both a single- and multiplayer game. Due to this, it's perfectly reasonable to buy the game and expect to be able to not play multiplayer, unlike WoW. The internet is currently raging about how they couldn't play single player due to the online only nature of the game. That's the whole basis for this discussion. Saying "yeah but it's not a single player game so you're all wrong" is bollocks, because it most certainly is.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Yeah, the forums are slow and ended up with posting my post twice. To make sure it's not all spam I'm going to post this lovely unrelated picture of a pumpkin:

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Soviet Heavy said:
I kept expecting the Facehugger to play into all that somehow.
I think the Facehugger is supposed to represent the concept of DRM.
If you look at the facehugger again it appears that it represents something else entirely. OT Jim couldn't be more right about this, there are countless posts over just about any forum that discusses games calling out anyone unhappy about this for being "entitled".

Obviously some of them are Blizzard fanbois and its easy to ignore it. What concerns me though is the non fanzoogled people posting it, if ignoring or accepting crap like this from developers is slowly becoming the standard we, as gamers are fucked.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
theultimateend said:
Anytime people say "entitlement" to shit on a person's arguments I write them off.

Entitlement is silly in a capitalist society, Businesses are insanely entitled, most lawsuits and demands are reeking of entitlement.

Yet it only counts when its a person.

But yeah they could have just had an unranked offline mode, not rocket science, dungeon defenders does it.
Entitlement is a misnomer anyway. It's not wrong to feel entitled to things you deserve. It's wrong to have a false sense of entitlement. For example, game companies who feel they are entitled to a cut of the used games market. That's a false sense of entitlement. And yet, as you say, they're not called on it.

And yeah, offline mode would be simple to implment. Allow people to play a different character that can't go online. They do it in other games.

krellen said:
These days, game companies try to play both sides of the line, a sort of product-service duality that means they claim whichever side is more convenient. However, there is no need for this to cover single player, even if it is a service.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
Naeras said:
Anything that has a single player mode is a single player game.
D3 doesn't have a single player mode. Every time you start a new game it's in multiplayer mode as in multiple players can be part of that game.

That's like calling a dungeon in WoW a single player dungeon because you zoned in by yourself.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I never thought this was an entitlement problem (I mean that in the negative), I mean, hell I paid for the damn thing so I expect it to work when I use it. If I buy a piece of gear for work I expect it to work how it should and how it was advertised to me, and I will be angry if it doesn't.

I just want Blizzard to fix this, that's all I want. I fucking love D3, but all this DRM crap just makes me think if I'm in the mood to dealing with the possible connection failure.

And Jim is right, I understand that D2 had a huge farming problem and I get that they want it to go away, but I don't see how it's my problem.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I was already complaining about all this crap you mentioned half a year ago to my WoW friends.
And they made dumb excuses, well.... when it was down they shed many tears... Dumb asses....

This DRM (it IS) sucks balls.
Can't even play this SINGLE PLAYER game on the train to work etc...

because of the REAL MONEY AUCTION HOUSE... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM 15 FUCKING PERCENT OF THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I got the collectors edition AND the special edition strategy guide that has NO MENTION of the cow level!!

ViewFinder

Jan 27, 2012
And this is why I'm waiting for Torchlight 2. It seems to have everything D3 doesn't and it only costs third of the price.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
in truth the whole DRM thing is the reason i still dont have this game, i would love to play it but i dont pay for broken goods so im torn