JK Rowling's new book - A detective novel about a trans serial killer murdering women

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Also that, though that was also a weird form of dissociative personality disorder but with his mom? And I have no idea if that's even possible.
I remember the book describes Buffalo Bill as someone who thinks is trans, but isn't.

The Tooth Fairy in Red Dragon had some kind of personality disorder with his grandmother.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I will never regret growing up Evangelical solely because it means I didn’t read Harry Potter.
The Harry Potter books mostly hold up fine. I can't disavow them, simply because the author has gone off the deep end. They are decent stories, they have some good morals, I don't blame anyone for holding them in high regard.

I have no idea where Rowling's obsessive hatred for trans people, and weirdly specifically, male to female trans people, is coming from. It's weird that a mostly well respected, mostly uncontroversial, personality like her would choose that hill to die on, that late into her career.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Good, poison her legacy. Maybe people will stop taking their politics from Harry Potter.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
The Harry Potter books mostly hold up fine. I can't disavow them, simply because the author has gone off the deep end. They are decent stories, they have some good morals, I don't blame anyone for holding them in high regard.

I have no idea where Rowling's obsessive hatred for trans people, and weirdly specifically, male to female trans people, is coming from. It's weird that a mostly well respected, mostly uncontroversial, personality like her would choose that hill to die on, that late into her career.
I am not sure it is a " hatred" of trans ,given her history, but instead rather a deep misunderstanding of what Trans is. Let's start with some of her history:

1) She was forced to hide the fact that she was a woman to even be able to get Harry Potter published:

"She used the initials J.K. on Harry Potter books because publishers initially demanded it. They were worried that young boys — who they thought would make up her entire readership — wouldn't read the series if they knew it was written by a woman... In other words, one of the bestselling, most respected, wealthiest female authors in living memory has concealed her gender on every book she's ever written. "

2)She was a victim of domestic abuse and sexual assault. She later had to get a restraining order against her ex-husband after she left him, she suffered in poverty as a single mother and was diagnosed with Clinical Depression who contemplated suicide. So she likely has some pretty serious trust issues in regards to men in general as is common with victims of abuse and sexual assault.

3) When you read what she said here:

“If sex isn’t real, the lived reality of women globally is erased. I know and love trans people, but erasing the concept of sex removes the ability of many to meaningfully discuss their lives.”

She says she loves trans people. So I don't think she actually hates them. I think she thinks that by calling transwomen " women" you are erasing what it actually means to be a woman from the perspective of woman who was born biologically sexed female. From her perspective, she sees biologically sexed males replacing biologically sexed females as being women as being just one more thing that biologically sexed males take away from biologically sexed females. I don't think that is hate, I see that as her wondering "If you call a biologically sexed male with a female spirit a " woman", than what am I because that description does not fit me?" and honestly a lot of women understandably think this very thing. I do not see that as " transphobic" in itself. Now where she and I disagree, I believe, is that she thinks they just have a mental disorder because that is what she and many others were taught. Wanting descriptive words to better address our life experiences rather than just lumping everyone together is one thing, but thinking there is something "wrong" with them that needs to be fixed is different, nut I don't think her belief in this is related to hatred, but rather a misunderstanding of what having a female gender actually is.

I admittedly, as a biologically sexed female, too find this use of the term " women" to be confusing and awkward, especially when I am now asked if I have a vagina, like it is now somehow optional to have a vagina now in order to be considered a woman. That is weird to me as well, as in my culture we don't actually consider female gendered biologically sexed men to be women, they are two spirits and have their own female experience that is different from that of a man or a woman. When transwomen are born into those cultures that have a place for them, they never are made to feel out of place in the first place. I think trying to have everyone pigeonholed into only two genders and having those same words also mean the biological sex and trying to make people have to discuss penises or vaginas specifically in order to be able to discuss their experience at all is honestly a clusterfuck. It makes more sense, as is done in other cultures, to have a category for male , female , male to female , and female to male. Some tribes even have more categories that better describe their experience of different levels of the gender spectrum.

Just calling a transwoman a woman though is confusing though because to women from the point in time we are born we are taught that means we have a vagina, and all the issues that come along with that so it is pretty much given. Most women do not separate their gender by default from their sex, and now we are suddenly expected to change how we identify and define ourselves making things complicated rather than just expand our gender spectrum to include all the genders that exist on that spectrum as other cultures have done for a very long time now. For many women, I don't think they want to " exclude" Transwomen, and are more than willing to accept them as having a female gender/spirit, they just want an expanded gender spectrum that better describes their experience instead of making everything complicated and confusing the already existing terms forcing them to have to now explain whether or not they were born with a vagina or if they can get pregnant, or if they had to deal with complications that only biologically sexed females deal with that are separate from female gender.

I also understand that Transwomen just want to be accepted as being female, and due to how western culture has treated them, they do not even feel comfortable in their own skin. They just want to be a " normal" woman like everyone else. Even having to define all of this trans and cis stuff at all for them just makes it harder for them to fit in. What I think would help this better than anything else however, is removing the negative feelings associated with being " trans" to where it is something they can be proud of and love themselves and their bodies for. Most transwomen hate their bodies and have terrible self esteem issues and as a society, the people who are not trans are the ones who have to change this as well. The celebration of two spirits in the communities they live in is why they also felt comfortable being who they are and did not hate their bodies and have a low self image. They were able to feel normal in who they are because they were never made to feel they were not normal. This is important to being able to change this long term, as no one ever deserves to feel as though they are "less than" others due to how they are born. They are not, and the sooner the culture as a whole recognizes that the sooner trans will will already feel like they fit in and will be able to instead just happily live their life without having to worry about any of this.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
People take politics from Harry Potter? * just tries to figure out what that entails*
There's plenty of political and social allagory in Harry Potter. The pureblood/mudblood thing is an analogy for racism (or potentially classism). The Death Eaters are pretty much wizard Nazis, and in book 7, "mudbloods" are portrayed as being akin to Jews in literature being sent out. Some have interpreted lycanthropy as being a metaphor for AIDS, house elves as being chattel slaves, etc. It's also kind of a running theme that wizarding society (at least in Britain) is run by incompetents, and it takes the efforts of a younger generation to sort things out.

Now, there's a lot of critique that people foist on HP that come from outside soures (e.g. the Dumbledore sexuality controversy), but the books have no shortage of allagory. Certainly a lot more than most other books in their age group. If anything, it helps explain their appeal.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
There's plenty of political and social allagory in Harry Potter. The pureblood/mudblood thing is an analogy for racism (or potentially classism). The Death Eaters are pretty much wizard Nazis, and in book 7, "mudbloods" are portrayed as being akin to Jews in literature being sent out. Some have interpreted lycanthropy as being a metaphor for AIDS, house elves as being chattel slaves, etc. It's also kind of a running theme that wizarding society (at least in Britain) is run by incompetents, and it takes the efforts of a younger generation to sort things out.

Now, there's a lot of critique that people foist on HP that come from outside soures (e.g. the Dumbledore sexuality controversy), but the books have no shortage of allagory. Certainly a lot more than most other books in their age group. If anything, it helps explain their appeal.
Oh so just essentially putting negative associations with Nazi's slavery, classism, racism ect.. which doesn't even necessarily seem like a bad thing, but no ACTUAL policy or political party.. I was starting to get worried we would have like actual Slytherin vs Ravenclaw political parties rising up or some other madness. LOL

Just thinking bad things are bad or better understanding WHY people dislike Nazis, racism, classism ect doesn;t seem all that bad. LOL

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
Just thinking bad things are bad or better understanding WHY people dislike Nazis, racism, classism ect doesn;t seem all that bad. LOL

Overgrown obnoxious manchildren that cannot grow beyond the simplistic politics of their precious children's book and have an incessant need to draw analogies between real life current events and fantastical wizards and witches is. It's okay for a children's book to do it. It's not okay if an adult does.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Overgrown obnoxious manchildren that cannot grow beyond the simplistic politics of their precious children's book and have an incessant need to draw analogies between real life current events and fantastical wizards and witches is. It's okay for a children's book to do it. It's not okay if an adult does.
Yea, I was thinking about it more from a child's perspective of being able to relate to what they learn. As for adults trying to apply this to predator drones.. well see above.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
LMAO! That doesn't even make sense. I tried to wrap my head around that one and .. I got nothing. It is just more ridiculous than a spider on roller skates
Memes aside, there was this one time Rowling herself got into an argument over whether or not Jeremy Corbyn is Dumbledore (she says he's not), and another where she was talking about how a Brazilian fan was taking strength from HP by thinking of Bolsonaro as Voldermort and his cronies as Deatheaters, because in the books the deatheaters lose.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'll take my retroactive good guy points now for never having given a shit about Harry Potter or having spent a dime on it.

What else is there to say about Rowling. People know now what a fucking harmful twit she is, but seeing as she has all the money in the world she really doesn't need to care at all. Even if she gets "cancelled" right now, she still has enough cash and royalties coming in to live like a queen for the next 200 years.

It would be nice if young kids who love her books could be kept away from her toxic behaviour, but that's unfortunately not going to happen.
Oh so just essentially putting negative associations with Nazi's slavery, classism, racism ect.. which doesn't even necessarily seem like a bad thing, but no ACTUAL policy or political party.. I was starting to get worried we would have like actual Slytherin vs Ravenclaw political parties rising up or some other madness. LOL

Yet aren't the werewolves predominantly evil and wanting to infect as many people as they can? And aren't the house elves totally fine being slaves? Not that I'm well versed on this lore at all, but I have heard people ruminate on this. And if that's the case... yikes. And also not too surprising considering her opinion on trans people.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
She did that on purpose! haha what a madlad. I bet it'll sell as much as the book she released under a pseudonym