Job Recruiters Told Not to Hire WoW Players?

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
ckeymel said:
CoziestPigeon said:
It's entirely fair. If they are paying someone to do what they want, you will do exactly what they want, or they will find someone else who will. It is not your right to get a job with them, and if they don't like the fact that you play games like WoW, tough shit. Guess that's not the job for you.
So, you think it's ok for your boss to control everything you do in your life, if you want to keep your job? Ummm, no - your personal time should not be held against you if it is not affecting your work.
You don't like it, find a new job. He's paying you to do what he wants. You don't do what he wants, you don't get paid. There is no 'right' to be employed.

ZombieFace

Dec 16, 2008
I can see how the irregular sleep patterns and not giving your 100% focus are related to WoW, but on the other hand i have plenty of friends who play WoW in excess and theyre still very well groomed contributors to society.

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
ckeymel said:
CoziestPigeon said:
It's entirely fair. If they are paying someone to do what they want, you will do exactly what they want, or they will find someone else who will. It is not your right to get a job with them, and if they don't like the fact that you play games like WoW, tough shit. Guess that's not the job for you.
So, you think it's ok for your boss to control everything you do in your life, if you want to keep your job? Ummm, no - your personal time should not be held against you if it is not affecting your work.
Ummm yeah. He's paying you. This isn't negotiable, he doesn't HAVE to have you working for him under his paycheck. You do what he wants. End of the story.

Sailor Tweek

Oct 23, 2008
Why would anyone think it a great idea to put down their WoW management skills on their resume? Now, you cannot descriminate based on someone's outside hobby...it's the law. HOWEVER, if you are putting it down as a job skill tick...then you are just asking for trouble.

ZombieFace

Dec 16, 2008
Sailor Tweek said:
Why would anyone think it a great idea to put down their WoW management skills on their resume? Now, you cannot descriminate based on someone's outside hobby...it's the law. HOWEVER, if you are putting it down as a job skill tick...then you are just asking for trouble.
Well yeah that makes a whole lot of sense, why WOULD YOU put that down? But even if you do put that down, it is kind of wrong they profile you on that.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
CoziestPigeon said:
Ummm yeah. He's paying you. This isn't negotiable, he doesn't HAVE to have you working for him under his paycheck. You do what he wants. End of the story.
Um, no. That's not how it works, at least in civilised societies anyway. The boss owns my efforts when I'm on the clock, and I'm responsible for being there on time and in condition to work. Anything else is my business, not the boss's, and if my boss ever tried to tell me how to dress on my days off or what sports to watch at home I'd refuse in writing... and then take 'em to the Labour Board if I was "laid off" afterward.

ZombieFace said:
I can see how the irregular sleep patterns and not giving your 100% focus are related to WoW, but on the other hand i have plenty of friends who play WoW in excess and theyre still very well groomed contributors to society.
And there are plenty of ways other than WoW to end up tired and unfocused at work, many of which are perfectly legal and none of the boss's business either. The boss's reign ends at the bedroom door, thankyouverymuch.

-- Steve

Gitsnik

May 13, 2008
Whilst the people I used to work with would never admit to it, being racist and/or profiling against WoW players is ESSENTIAL to the job. If you're working with 20 male Indians and bring in a female Caucasian it's going to be detrimental (if for no other reason than the language barrier)*. WoW players tend to be addictive (which can be good) and scatter brained, as well as not being "socially acceptable" within a workplace environment** and to me I consider this entirely acceptable. Would we all be throwing our arms up if a man wasn't hired to work with 20 man-eating lesbians? I think not. Fit factor first, racism second.

* Everybody wave to my ex-coworker meena, whom I couldn't understand face to face but had EXCELLENT communications skills over MSN. She's a gem and I would hire her anywhere despite her thick Indian accent (so long as I didn't have to talk to her face to face).
** I'm generalising here. Severely.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Sailor Tweek said:
Now, you cannot descriminate based on someone's outside hobby...it's the law.
Samah said:
I'm pretty sure you could take this to equal opportunities and (possibly) win. Avoiding applicants is one thing, specifically stating "do not hire WoW players" is another.
Despite what you may believe, in the US the only things potential employers are not allowed to discriminate on are explicitly spelled out. Those are race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, and disabilities (if otherwise qualified). Sexual orientation isn't explicitly listed, but has been included by the courts.

Anything else is fair game. Including hobbies.

Reference: http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html

Arionis

Oct 19, 2008
Isn't there something about equal employment opportunities that this goes against.....?

Amisbro

Nov 26, 2008
This is like when I went to a Sat Mat(Saturday Matinee) and asked a cashier there why they didn't hire anyone whom knew a lot about Anime because of their big section.

The reason: Because people who watch anime are "weird"!

OK let's get something right here. Not ALL people that watch Anime are going to go dress up as "Sailor Mercury" from Sailor Moon or Lady Une from Gundam Wing! If you have a section in your store devoted to a genre like that shouldn't the practice be to allow people whom are knowledgable on that subject?

Now back to the original argument..

If you ask me it should be treated on a case by case basis. Just because people play a game doesn't mean they aren't going to be good workers. That WoW player that you don't hire might be a good group leader at the job or have better problem solving skills than others that apply for the job.

In short: Its just stupid!

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
CoziestPigeon said:
Um, no. That's not how it works, at least in civilised societies anyway. The boss owns my efforts when I'm on the clock, and I'm responsible for being there on time and in condition to work. Anything else is my business, not the boss's, and if my boss ever tried to tell me how to dress on my days off or what sports to watch at home I'd refuse in writing... and then take 'em to the Labour Board if I was "laid off" afterward.
Exactly. Boss owns the efforts he wants to own while you are on the clock. HE HAS NO OBLIGATION TO HIRE YOU, IF FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN HE DOESN'T LIKE YOUR HOBBY. So no, he can't force you to stop playing, but he doesn't have to hire you if you do. Now if you are already working for said boss, then no, he missed his chance, he can't fire you. If he is considering you for a job, and plain old doesn't like you, he does NOT have to hire you. So if you think it's outrageous for a guy to not hire someone because he doesn't like the fact that the potential worker played WoW, you need to straighten your mind.

Nov 28, 2007
CoziestPigeon said:
Anton P. Nym said:
CoziestPigeon said:
Exactly. Boss owns the efforts he wants to own while you are on the clock. HE HAS NO OBLIGATION TO HIRE YOU, IF FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN HE DOESN'T LIKE YOUR HOBBY. So no, he can't force you to stop playing, but he doesn't have to hire you if you do. Now if you are already working for said boss, then no, he missed his chance, he can't fire you. If he is considering you for a job, and plain old doesn't like you, he does NOT have to hire you. So if you think it's outrageous for a guy to not hire someone because he doesn't like the fact that the potential worker played WoW, you need to straighten your mind.
I hope you are never interviewing me for a job. I might not get hired because I like to listen to metal music.

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
thebobmaster said:
CoziestPigeon said:
Anton P. Nym said:
CoziestPigeon said:
I hope you are never interviewing me for a job. I might not get hired because I like to listen to metal music.
I hope you are never applying for a job I'm offering. You might just sit around looking for excuses to not do what I ask all day.

Well, maybe not you. I don't hate metal music.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
So alot of wow players neglecting their health = a few dozen highly exagerated cases out of eleven fucking million normal people.

Statisticly it would be smarter to not hire people who have to drive to work because the odds of them killing themselves in a crash are greater then meeting a non productive wow player.

The only time i'm ever negatively affected by playing wow is when people stereotype against me.

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
Woo. Good thing I got the news in time, I was just about to send in my dozen applications with "casting shadowbolt" and "raining down fire on my enemies" written under my abilities and qualifications list.

Seriously, anyone that would put videogames down on anything other than an entry level job at a video game store/movie rental place is ill informed. While the somewhat computer savvy tech person isn't as unattractive as it used to be, it's still far from the ideal person in society's eyes.