Job Recruiters Told Not to Hire WoW Players?

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
Amnestic said:
As someone who put 'Raid Leader' on their university application and got into one of the top 10 uni's in the UK, I scoff at this one year old article which has been necro'd on-and-off since then.

Of course I didn't write "I'm a raid leader in WoW" I made up a bunch of bullshit about macro and micromanagement to complete goal-oriented tasks using primarily voice and text communication...in a game setting.
That sounds pretty much like the right way of doing it, mentioning gaming-related skills and getting only pluses for it..Then again, I wouldn't try that if I were fighting for one job spot in a company unrelated to the gaming business where hundreds of others would apply for the same spot.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
It's common sense* that you wouldn't put playing games on your resume unless you were going for a job in that industry. On your resume your potential boss wants to see nothing but professionalism, anything less could easily been interpreted that you don't take the job seriously.

I don't think games like WoW foster anti social behaviour, but if you are the only (known) player in your place of work, then your co-workers might not feel inclined to socially interact with you.

* Common sense seems to be less common these days.

crypt-creature

May 12, 2009
CoziestPigeon said:
ckeymel said:
CoziestPigeon said:
It's entirely fair. If they are paying someone to do what they want, you will do exactly what they want, or they will find someone else who will. It is not your right to get a job with them, and if they don't like the fact that you play games like WoW, tough shit. Guess that's not the job for you.
So, you think it's ok for your boss to control everything you do in your life, if you want to keep your job? Ummm, no - your personal time should not be held against you if it is not affecting your work.
You don't like it, find a new job. He's paying you to do what he wants. You don't do what he wants, you don't get paid. There is no 'right' to be employed.
That doesn't mean they have the right to treat you like a convict or hold every aspect of your personal life accountable for your performance, when they don't even know for sure if it is impacting your performance or not.

Workers and employees do have civil rights, just because 'the man' gave you a job does not mean he can be a prick to you.
They probably will be since they have a team of lawyers on their speed-dial, but if they take that attitude too far it will affect their workers more than the workers personal hobbies.

EDIT: Had no idea how old this article was, sorry all.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
pfft that guy was lucky that he got told why they didn't want him, usually end up having to guess on your own.
though i would never mention how much time i spend on games in an interview. actually i don't tell that to anyone.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Well theres a reason I don't put 'WoW Raider' on my resume, but... giving someone the cold shoulder simply because it's a hobby? Thats a bit...harsh.

When asked that, I usually just put 'I play video games' ...and thats ONLY if I'm asked about hobbies, I don't elaborate on it, I just stick it in there with reading, drawing and throwing things at neighborhood kids.

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
Ha thats just mad I mean its a game, you can't judge some one because of what they play lol.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
What's funny is I keep hearing claims from people who believe that WoW players are more likely to have above-average time management and leadership skills, and this is something people should mention in job interviews. Seems like recruiters are hearing it a little too much from candidates and getting a lot of the uh... other type of player instead.