John Carpenter Not a Fan of Skyrim, Thinks Borderlands 2 is the Best

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
John Carpenter Not a Fan of Skyrim, Thinks Borderlands 2 is the Best

Hollywood's legendary horror film director John Carpenter "loves" shooters, and thinks Borderlands 2 is the best game on earth.

While film director John Carpenter is more commonly known for helming movie classics such as Halloween, Escape from New York and The Thing, the legendary filmmaker has been outspoken regarding his love for the video game medium, too. Speaking to Esquire, [http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/john-carpenter-interview?click=feed&src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1456_57819839] Carpenter explains how he caught the "video game bug" from his son.

My son, growing up, got into video games and I got addicted along with him. He left and went off on his own and I kept playing. They're just so much fun. So I've kept abreast of everything over the years. I have four systems here in the house. The old Xbox and the new Xbox and the old PlayStation and the new one. So I play all the new games. I'm not a big fantasy gamer, like Skyrim kind of games where you have to buy stuff and talk to people. I don't know, I like to shoot things.

The interviewer then asks Carpenter if he's a "first-person shooter kind of guy," to which the 66-year old director replies with, "I love first-person shooters." When asked what his favorite FPS is, Carpenter mentions that it's "Borderlands 2," and how "There's no better game on the face of the earth." Certainly a bold claim but hey, a man's entitled to his own opinion.

Just last year, Carpenter named his top six video games of 2013, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130875-Halloween-Director-John-Carpenter-Names-His-Top-Six-Games-of-2013] and yes, Borderlands 2 is in the list with other notable "core" games. What do you make of Carpenter's genre preference? Are you surprised he likes the first-person shooters more than horror games?

Source: Esquire [http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/john-carpenter-interview?click=feed&src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1456_57819839]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That's probably the sentiment of a lot of older gamers. They don't have the time or energy to gather resources to build that one awesome sword and piece of armor and to do all that RPG stuff. Borderlands 2 is pretty much straightforward. Shoot stuff, get better equipment and shoot more stuff. And it is a really good game.
I just love the fact that he likes to play Assassin's Creed. Awesome guy.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Dear John Carpenter, start making video game music, please. The soundtrack was always a highlight of your movies.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol. good to hear he is a shooter fan. the thing is though, i personally didnt like the first borderlands at all and therefor didnt get part 2. in fact, i dont touch any games when gearbox has its name on it.
and i dont care how many say its awesome. the same thing was said about part 1 and i didnt like it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I'd almost agree...not sure Borderlands 2 is the best game on earth but its definitely up there as one of my favorites

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I wonder what he think of Metal Gear Solid...

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130521025650/metalgear/es/images/a/a8/Biggboss.jpg

http://www.storminforms.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Escape_from_New_York_1920x1080.jpg

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Well, makes sense. So many shooters, especially CoD, try to be blockbuster actions movies now and capture that cinematic feel. I'd rather crawl through a dungeon of pissed off skeletons than take another trip to brown-istan or whichever third world country the games take place it. That's just me. Borderlands 2 contained WAAAY too much pop culture references and meme humor for anything to be taken seriously. I get that's the point, but the cartoony aesthetic didn't do it for me either.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Wait, John Carpenter thought Remember Me was one of the top 6 games of last year? My man!

And yeah, I had more fun with Borderlands 2 than I did Skyrim. Best game on Earth might be a bit much though.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
So he likes terrible and shallow games? so basically anything like his awful movies. If I want a someone to critique on food I wouldn't ask he guy flipping burgers at McDonalds is all I'm saying.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Big trouble in little china needs to be made into a GTA style open world game....4 classes:

1. young, naive but enthusiastic martial artist
2. tough, world weary trucker with a heart of gold
3. intrepid investigative reporter
4. old wizend wuxian with fire, magic, all that good stuff

Make it happen Carpenter!

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
KaZuYa said:
So he likes terrible and shallow games? so basically anything like his awful movies. If I want a someone to critique on food I wouldn't ask he guy flipping burgers at McDonalds is all I'm saying.
And I wouldn't ask you for your opinion at all. Glad we can agree on things!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I wounder if the guy ever beat Crawmerax... seriously, f*ck that sh*it. Havn't faced off against 2's big bads but it's on my list.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Awesome guy. It's always good when high-profile people, especially from the pre-video game generation, talk about enjoying video games - and even better if they actually do enjoy them!

RA92 said:
I wonder what he think of Metal Gear Solid...
John Carpenter said:
I got excited about a game years ago called Metal Gear Solid. I thought that was terrific. The director of that game [Hideo Kojima] wrote me a letter and I praised it. Now [FEAR] is the first game that's come along that I thought was better than that. This game is exceptional.
Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/qanda-john-carpenter-on-his-greatest-fear/1100-6135370/

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
How about you take that love of video games and shooters and get a They Live game of the ground then, Carpenter.

Seriously, show Duke Nukem how it's done.

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
Metalrocks said:
lol. good to hear he is a shooter fan. the thing is though, i personally didnt like the first borderlands at all and therefor didnt get part 2. in fact, i dont touch any games when gearbox has its name on it.
and i dont care how many say its awesome. the same thing was said about part 1 and i didnt like it.
I tried Borderlands 2 and just couldn't get into it. Maybe its something that needs to be played with friends, but then again everything is better when friends are involved so I don't know. The "humor" falls flat, the story was all sorts of dumb, and the action itself quickly got repetitive with no context to put it in.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
This just in: A person has an opinion! He likes one thing more than another thing!

Next you'll be telling us he prefers Rocky Road Ice Cream to Strawberry!

We're on the cutting edge of breaking news up in here. <_<

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Kinda cool that at least the FPS he likes isn't bland military shooter 25. And he's quite polite about his opinion concerning Skyrim. It's not his cup of tea. You know who could learn from John Carpenter when it comes to not having an obnoxiously bloated opinion?

EVERY
SINGLE
PERSON
EVER.

Aug 1, 2010
KaZuYa said:
[spoiler/][img/]http://brandontrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/i-strongly-disagree.jpg?572032[/img][/spoiler]

OT:
A bit surprising I suppose. For a guy who was an expert at subtlety, his favorite game ever is the least subtle thing since the atomic bomb.

Still, I suppose sometimes people need the other side of things and holy shit does Borderlands deliver there.
I wonder what class he plays...