John Carpenter Working on F.E.A.R. 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
John Carpenter Working on F.E.A.R. 3

Warner Bros. has announced that acclaimed film director John Carpenter will be working on the newly-announced F.E.A.R. 3 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77634] - and that Monolith, the studio behind the first two games, won't.

It was a pretty good bet that we were going to get more F.E.A.R. sooner or later and after a WBIE [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98041-F-E-A-R-3-Details-Leaked-Online] has finally made it official: F.E.A.R. 3 is on the way. Players will step back into the boots of the Point Man, the hero of the original, in single-player mode, while his brother, the unusually hard-to-kill Paxton Fettel, will be playable in co-op multiplayer. The game will also see the return of Alma Wade, AKA mom, who's ready to give birth to the newest member of the family.

One family member who won't be returning, however, is Fracture [http://www.lith.com/] and the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 ports of the original F.E.A.R.

F.E.A.R. 3 will take the franchise back to the horror-focused gameplay of the first game and to help ensure "extreme terror," famed horror director 30 Days of Night [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000118/].

The game sounds like it has potential: Set months after the blast caused by Alma's escape, her "supernatural agony" continues to punish the city, while Armacham's notorious security forces and the remains of the F.E.A.R. team single-mindedly pursue their missions. Caught between his inexplicably devoted brother, his twisted, powerful mother and his F.E.A.R. teammates who are set on killing them both, the Point Man must decide once and for all where his loyalties lie.

Sounds cool. F.E.A.R. 3 is currently in development for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 and is scheduled for release in fall 2010.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Sold. Even though its not Monolith.

Fracture sucked, but was an innovative concept. The F.E.A.R ports were good, barring the odd mapping of "Lean" on the default controls. But the control option that put 'em on the shoulder buttons worked!

I adored all the F.E.A.R. games, from 1, to Files, to 2, to 2s DLC Campaign.

I beat them all without dying, too. *polishes achievements* Well, no achievement for doing it in 2, but I did it.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
But I liked Monolith's incredibly shitty writing in the FEAR games. It gave it a kind of Resident Evil vibe...

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
it looks like the first fear guy is back and fetil. i hope is like fear 1. fear 2 was so disapointing

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Gotta be the worst trailer I've ever seen. How is John Carpenter a selling point to a game? A guy that's spent lord knows how many decades churning out the same substandard rubbish.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I never really took much notice of the F.E.A.R. games, to be honest. However, in light of this new information, I'm thinking I should definitely hunt them down to get some of the backstory.

I know everybody has their idea of what the best horror movie of all time is, just giving you mine:

[HEADING=1]THE THING[/HEADING]​

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
uppitycracker said:
So long as they make it more like F.E.A.R., and less like F.E.A.R. 2, I'll be happy.
Same here. Fear 2 really did not do alot for me...unlike the prignal.

And John Carpenter? Thats epic! With his experience to assist them I see great things ahead for it!

Apr 28, 2008
As long as the supernatural encounters aren't quicktime events, I'll be happy.

You can't scare me when I can press x to kill ghosts.

You can scare me when I can't do shit to the ghosts, but they can do what they want to me...

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
The Great JT said:
Do not doubt the guy who made The Thing!
Even though that same guy was consulted over and heavily hyped that absolute child-rapist of a game based on the movie?

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
sweet... I hope he pulls ideas from his best movie...ghosts of mars http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228333/

and also he should definitely compose the soundtrack

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Ah but does Carpenter have a handle on the 'hair over the face,creepy silent girl with powers genre'?
Guess we'll see.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
F.E.A.R. 3 will take the franchise back to the horror-focused gameplay of the first game and to help ensure "extreme terror," famed horror director John Carpenter, whose work includes Halloween, The Thing and the woefully underrated Vampires, has been brought aboard
FUCK

YES

!!!

After the pure awesome that was the original FEAR and the abysmal shit that was Project Origin, it's about time they went back to how it should've been instead of continuing on with the boring-ass action shooter route. Words cannot express how overjoyed I am about this.

But bloody hell, they'd better do it right.

Wolfiesden

Mar 18, 2010
Apparently I am in the minority here. I liked FEAR but I REALLY liked FEAR2 better.

I swear, F2 was the first game that actually made me jump, physically, at a scene in the game. The lockers and ghosts in the FEAR2 demo actually had me saying (out loud) "What the hell was that!" and sent my 11yr old granddaughter that was in the darkened room scurrying for the lights. Not one game has EVER done that for me and I was immediately sold on F2.

With Carpenter on board, its gotta be a win but the studio better code and do the game right or it will be an epic fail. Having a good writer/director doesn't mean the studio will make the game such that it lives up to the reputation and the hype.

I hope it pans out and I am hoping that FEAR3 will be a hit.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Keep the map design team from the second game, and get back to the difficulty and tone of the first.

FEAR 2 wasnt fun nor good enough IMHO, but the maps were absolutely gorgeous. Oh, and leave the uber-layer-controled-mechas out of the game this time, they were pointless.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
I just hope this means Monolith will get back to doing something akin to "No One Lives Forever." We already have too many pseudo-horror military shooters out there, give me more spy/comedy action!

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Why is Fettel serving Alma? She was trying to kill Foxtrot 813 and I doubt he was happy with that so surely he'd be against her?