John Funk's Five Favorites 2010

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
John Funk's Five Favorites 2010

Games Editor John Funk chooses his five favorite games from the past year.

Read Full Article

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
This could very well be the strangest top 5 list I've seen in my life...

I have to wonder how the heck he finds time for WoW and SCII... and you know, that whole work thing.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Lagao said:
I'm sensing a blizzard lover? :p
Red Dead Redemption be on your list!
Didn't play it.

Dexter111 said:
Somehow I'd bet if Blizzard released 5 games this year they would all be on that list xD

And you considered Call of Doody: Black Ops... really... really?
The multiplayer, sure. I haven't even touched the singleplayer. Remember, this is our five *favorite* games, not the five best. And I had a ton of fun with the BlOps MP. I think you're letting your disdain for ATVI's business practices color your views of what's actually a very entertaining game.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
John Funk said:
Dexter111 said:
Somehow I'd bet if Blizzard released 5 games this year they would all be on that list xD

And you considered Call of Doody: Black Ops... really... really?
The multiplayer, sure. I haven't even touched the singleplayer. Remember, this is our five *favorite* games, not the five best. And I had a ton of fun with the BlOps MP.
It's only five hours. Try it.

It's fun.

Really.

OT: Alright, yeah, just about what I expected - Pokemon/WoW/StarCraft. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Eh, pretty much what I expected from you, though I think only Halo would make it to my top 5 out of you list, though I will say you list comes a little closer to mine than Russ's.

I was actually really letdown by Starcraft 2. I mean, the multiplayer pretty much went exactly the way I thought it would, I'd have about a week of actual fun games before everyone started learning how to actually play, than it would just become annoying. The campaign was okay, too. not what I expected, but fine. Really it's all the little things that made it a bit of a letdown for me...and to illustrate my point, a picture!

http://chzbobshouseofvideogames.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/starcraft-e1280514792591.png?w=500&h=620M

Honestly though, the whole reason it was so disappointing to me was because I couldn't play with all of my Steam friends, who all unfortunately live in the UK. Honestly, without the ability to play with friends, this game just got old, fast. If this problem occurs in Diablo 3, well I'll still get it, but I will be even more pissed!

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Nice list, Funk. It's very cool to see so many differing entries on the millions of GotY lists that have magically popped up all over the Internet.

But be wary. This being the Escapist, you are going to be slaughtered for those opinions. Just wait till the Bioware fanboys arrive... (and btw, I loved ME2, but can accept that other people have different opinions). Hell, on here, listing Halo: Reach in your top 5 is putting your life on the line.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
POKEMON, OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH A HEART SO TRUUuuuuuuUUUUE
OUR COURAGE WILL PULL US THROUGH
YOU TEACH ME AND ILL TEACH YOOOOOOUUU
POOOOOKKKKKKEMOOOOOON, GOTTA CATCH'EM'ALL, gotta catch'em'all
POKEMON

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh God I love me some mons... cant wait for Black and White, even if the legendaries do look about as good as hemeroid jam...

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
Nice list, Funk. It's very cool to see so many differing entries on the millions of GotY lists that have magically popped up all over the Internet.

But be wary. This being the Escapist, you are going to be slaughtered for those opinions. Just wait till the Bioware fanboys arrive... (and btw, I loved ME2, but can accept that other people have different opinions). Hell, on here, listing Halo: Reach in your top 5 is putting your life on the line.
Come on man, most the people I have met on the Escapist tend to be rational people, I personally dont like Halo for its story or characters (although what ive seen of Forge he seems alright) but the game play itself is preaty good. Not just the controls (its in the same family tree as Timesplitters so of course its good) but the set up, the extras like skulls and history reports, Halo Waypoints a very cool idea. Its all good guy, its aaaaaaall good.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
PunkRex said:
OhJohnNo said:

Come on man, most the people I have met on the Escapist tend to be rational people, I personally dont like Halo for its story or characters (although what ive seen of Forge he seems alright) but the game play itself is preaty good. Not just the controls (its in the same family tree as Timesplitters so of course its good) but the set up, the extras like skulls and history reports, Halo Waypoints a very cool idea. Its all good guy, its aaaaaaall good.
Opinions on the series aside, the fact remains that while the majority of people on the Escapist are reasonable, the minority are louder. Why do you think these forums have such a bad rep on the rest of the internet? Now I know as well as you do that there are great, intelligent people on these boards, but some of us can get fierce with our favourite series' sometimes. Look at the Gaming Discussion forum and how TIME and VGA were smashed into the dirt by many for not putting ME2 at the top, and even including Reach and Mario Galaxy on their bloody lists.

Unless this dies an ignominious death due to lack of people posting (which seems likely right about now) I fear something similar may happen to Mr. Funk's list.

Ringwraith

Absolutely Useless
Jan 15, 2009
Well, there's one game I own on that list.
Probably not too difficult to work out which one.
Though I would agree to it being such a wonderful sink for my time.
I think I have a habit of avoiding playing it for any length of time recently as I'll know I'll get sucked back into it again and that would be bad for the games I have piling up already.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Interesting list. I never jumped on the Pokemon wagon, and I've never played a Blizzard game, so I'm a bit lost here, but I respect your opinion, sir. Mario and Halo were both excellent entries this year.

I'm guessing Susan will put Fable 3 in her Top 5. That I will probably disagree with.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Some surprises to that list imo.. Not a single one of those would even reach top 10 on my list.

But its good that people have different taste, forces developers make a wider aspect of games and thats always good..

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
PunkRex said:
OhJohnNo said:

Opinions on the series aside, the fact remains that while the majority of people on the Escapist are reasonable, the minority are louder. Why do you think these forums have such a bad rep on the rest of the internet? Now I know as well as you do that there are great, intelligent people on these boards, but some of us can get fierce with our favourite series' sometimes. Look at the Gaming Discussion forum and how TIME and VGA were smashed into the dirt by many for not putting ME2 at the top, and even including Reach and Mario Galaxy on their bloody lists.

Unless this dies an ignominious death due to lack of people posting (which seems likely right about now) I fear something similar may happen to Mr. Funk's list.
"The minority are louder" I like that. I suppose thats true, I dont get haters, I mean im very critical of stuff (my brothers constantly having a go at me about it) but just let it be. I love Mass Effect but I think the more time you spend with something the more quilified you are to point out its flaws, just because you can point out its faults doesnt make you any less of a fan and raging at someone just completly destroys any argument you may have.

Haters gonna hate regardless I suppose. F erm.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
I got to say, WoW Cataclism was the only one that didn't come up as a surprise comming from you Mr. Funk.
Everything else was totally not what I had in mind.