John McAfee Says he Knows Who Hacked Sony, And It's Not North Korea

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
John McAfee Says he Knows Who Hacked Sony, And It's Not North Korea

McAfee says he has been in contact with the group who hacked Sony Pictures, and confirms that they are not North Korean.

John McAfee, former anti-virus kingpin security experts are skeptical [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125178-John-McAfee-Snorts-Bath-Salts-Uninstalls-McAfee-Anti-Virus], and McAfee is among those skeptics. He says that the hackers definitely are not North Korean, but refuses to identify them any further than that.

"I can guarantee [The FBI] are wrong," McAfee told IBTimes UK [http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/john-mcafee-i-know-who-hacked-sony-pictures-it-wasnt-north-korea-1483581]. "It has to do with a group of hackers - I will not name them - who are civil libertarians and who hate the confinement the restrictions the music industry and the movie industry has placed on art and so they are behind it."

He added that "I don't want to name them - that would make me a nark," and said that "I don't mind that the North Koreans are blamed, I'm not particularly happy with what the North Koreans are doing." McAfee sympathizes with the hackers, stating that he also doesn't agree with Sony's policies.

"Maybe [North Korea] have been wrongly accused in this case, but they have not been accused in cases where they should have been accused," he mused.

The hack in question happened last year, and as well as revealing a boatload of sensitive information, such as inter-office emails and personal identification, led to the whole Kim Jong un-cancelled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20interview?os=the+interview]).

So it looks like McAfee knows something we don't. Or, maybe he's just talking out of his ass? I guess we'll never know.

Source: IBTimes UK [http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/john-mcafee-i-know-who-hacked-sony-pictures-it-wasnt-north-korea-1483581]

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
All this did was remind me of the old guy from Phelous' review of Pulse.

[http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/Lloyd250/media/tumblr_mnbah9xyvJ1rhc8i5o1_500.jpg.html]

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Isn't that illegal? He's withholding evidence in what seems to be a pretty serious crime, can't the police just arrest and interrogate him? I'm no expert on law and the like, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

Or more likely it's just a man past his fame shouting "Notice me, Senpai!" by saying stupid shit. Wouldn't be the first time.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Elfgore said:
Isn't that illegal? He's withholding evidence in what seems to be a pretty serious crime, can't the police just arrest and interrogate him? I'm no expert on law and the like, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong.
Probably somehow. But, at the same time, if no one cares, the odds of him being prosecuted are slim as hell.

But, yeah, funny how this mystery group of hackers just happen to have a political ideology that completely agrees with his. :\

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Elfgore said:

Or more likely it's just a man past his fame shouting "Notice me, Senpai!" by saying stupid shit. Wouldn't be the first time.
Nah its a lot more boring than that, its just drug induced paranoia.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Because as we all know, John McAfee: Paragon of reliability and not at all a complete fucking lunatic.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Elfgore said:
It is illegal. But no one will give a shit because there is no way in hell that the US government and the FBI will admit that they've made a mistake. Everyone with half a brain knows that NK didn't do this. FBI lied. The President went on national TV and said it was NK. It would be embarrassing for them to admit that they were wrong now. The government doesn't like to be embarrassed. This isn't about national security. It's about politics. And the last thing politicians care about is the truth.

Revolutionary said:
Because as we all know, John McAfee: Paragon of reliability and not at all a complete fucking lunatic.
He may be a paranoid lunatic, but the man knows computers. And everyone who knows computers is aware that NK is not behind this. Just look at this: http://gawker.com/a-lot-of-smart-people-think-north-korea-didnt-hack-sony-1672899940

Sateru

Jul 11, 2010
I trust him like I trust his products... McAfee is a horrible antivirus software, I got a year free with my computer, and uninstalled it within a month of usage due to the issues I encountered with it crashing my computer, severely lagging my computer when active (not counting when it scans or anything, just it existing). I went to Kaspersky, and I love that so much more in comparison. :3 So... yeah, I refuse to trust him, and feel like he's spewing shit like the Great Mighty Poo from Conker.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Sateru said:
I trust him like I trust his products... McAfee is a horrible antivirus software, I got a year free with my computer, and uninstalled it within a month of usage due to the issues I encountered with it crashing my computer, severely lagging my computer when active (not counting when it scans or anything, just it existing). I went to Kaspersky, and I love that so much more in comparison. :3 So... yeah, I refuse to trust him, and feel like he's spewing shit like the Great Mighty Poo from Conker.
yeah... John McAfee hasn't had anything to do with the company or its products since 1994...

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Lol annoyed about restrictions on art by music and movie studios then demand a movie, which I feel the need to say no matter how poor it may be, still being a form of artistic expression, not be released. You've solved another one Holmes!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Sateru said:
It's been about 20 years since he's had anything to do with McAfee anti-virus.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
I know, its the lizard people, or the new world order!, the banks? big busness? OH OH! The GMOS! maybe it was Israel, or maybe it was 9/11

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
So what? He just so happens to manage to track down a hacker group, presumably on his own, when 2 government-funded agencies could not? Or what? This hacker group tracked him down and told him all this information despite the fact that he is long past his time when it comes to him being a relevant figure?

I don't buy it. He is probably making it up as he goes along, or he came across some random group of people that claims to be the hackers.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012

I know something you don't know...

While I highly doubt it was the North Koreans I'm not going to use the word of some batshit crazy loon as proof of that.

Elmer Fudd might as well be telling us it was Bugs Bunny.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
FogHornG36 said:
I know, its the lizard people, or the new world order!, the banks? big busness? OH OH! The GMOS! maybe it was Israel, or maybe it was 9/11

PFFFFT it was the Illuminati. Those bastards manage to conspire so i had no milk for my cereal when i woke up this morning.

But on yeah, many independent experts are saying it was unlikely NK. China could still do with exercising some power over them.

Abomination said:
Elmer Fudd might as well be telling us it was Bugs Bunny.
The fact you think that Elmer Fudd is real is alarming.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
Elfgore said:
It is illegal. But no one will give a shit because there is no way in hell that the US government and the FBI will admit that they've made a mistake. Everyone with half a brain knows that NK didn't do this.
So, even though NK are the only people in the world with a motive to do this, they didn't do this...

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
If they were "civil libertarians" why would they try to make it seem like they were North Korea? Isn't the whole point of activism to draw attention to the cause in which you are acting on behalf of? Am I missing something? And now is he technically an accomplice? So many silly questions.