John McAfee Says he Knows Who Hacked Sony, And It's Not North Korea

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Elfgore said:
Isn't that illegal? He's withholding evidence in what seems to be a pretty serious crime, can't the police just arrest and interrogate him?
Honestly this guy wouldn't care. After he uncovered the mass forgery and sale of US passports in Belize its government of tried to have him killed, twice, and he had to flee to Guatemala where he was arrested for illegally entering the country. This guys been through some crazy stuff, so much so that Warner Brothers bought the rights to make it into a movie, look it up.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
he's about as reliable as some one walking up to you and say 'Super Bowl 49 is gonna be Packers and Colts' tomorrow.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Elfgore said:
Isn't that illegal? He's withholding evidence in what seems to be a pretty serious crime, can't the police just arrest and interrogate him? I'm no expert on law and the like, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong.
No not really, it depends from legal system to legal system but in most countries with due process and without arbitrary law enforcement it wouldn't be. He has not made these statements under caution or as part of any official investigation or inquiry, even if the police or other security agency asked him to undergo a voluntary interview (highly unlikely he would be arrestable in most places) under caution he has the right not to implicate himself of any wrong doing and just give a "no comment" interview.

Giving false information under those circumstances would be a criminal offence, remaining silent and then using withheld information during a trial can go badly for the defendant and in some cases can also be a criminal offence as well as harming their own defence.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
Elfgore said:
Isn't that illegal? He's withholding evidence in what seems to be a pretty serious crime, can't the police just arrest and interrogate him? I'm no expert on law and the like, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong.
It is illegal. But no one will give a shit because there is no way in hell that the US government and the FBI will admit that they've made a mistake. Everyone with half a brain knows that NK didn't do this. FBI lied. The President went on national TV and said it was NK. It would be embarrassing for them to admit that they were wrong now. The government doesn't like to be embarrassed. This isn't about national security. It's about politics. And the last thing politicians care about is the truth.

Revolutionary said:
Because as we all know, John McAfee: Paragon of reliability and not at all a complete fucking lunatic.
He may be a paranoid lunatic, but the man knows computers. And everyone who knows computers is aware that NK is not behind this. Just look at this: http://gawker.com/a-lot-of-smart-people-think-north-korea-didnt-hack-sony-1672899940
Do you really think the US Goverment made a mistake in blaming NK? Come on man, of course they knew NK didn't do it. It just wasn't in their interest to tell the truth. We've all seen it way too many times before. Of course the government would use this event to further spin their agenda abroad. So in that sense you are right, it's indeed about politics.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Elfgore said:

Or more likely it's just a man past his fame shouting "Notice me, Senpai!" by saying stupid shit. Wouldn't be the first time.
I dont think you can really just up and arrest somone that was being prosecured right and wrong for decades.

Adam Jensen said:
Everyone with half a brain knows that NK didn't do this.
I love how everyone knows this yet noone manages to produce even an ounce of evidence of this.

And look, you just used Gawker as a source. Its almost cute.

Kameburger said:
If they were "civil libertarians" why would they try to make it seem like they were North Korea? Isn't the whole point of activism to draw attention to the cause in which you are acting on behalf of? Am I missing something? And now is he technically an accomplice? So many silly questions.
drawing cause may not be directional. for example you want to draw attention to enviromentalism. slip an oil tanker and blame oil company for it. you just rallied people to enviromentalism. by doing completely opposite.

Shiftygiant said:
Isn't he dead?
He is dissapointed to be dead: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127611-John-McAfees-Death-Disappoints-John-McAfee

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Maybe if we all be his friend he will tell us.

Kenjitsuka said:
And btw, it's "narc", not "nark"... Narc is slang shorthand for 'narcotics undercover agent', i.e. an infiltrator with the sole purpose of bringing down criminals from the start.
Narc is accepted slang for someone who informs on others.

Grimrider6

Aug 27, 2008
Strazdas said:
I love how everyone knows this yet noone manages to produce even an ounce of evidence of this.
The evidence on NK is pretty flimsy on its own. Like its been said in this thread already, the initial demands seemed to be straight up extortion. The Interview only got involved once the media circus began, and there's no way to know if the initial hackers even continued to be involved after that point. For all anybody knows, an entirely different individual or group could have stepped in and masqueraded as GoP. Maybe somebody was having a giggle. Maybe Sony faked everything post leak to try and make the best of a bad situation. Point being, there is almost no way to know how many people were involved, what their motives were, or at what point they started or stopped being involved. Anybody who tells you who the culprit is with any certainly is either a liar or an idiot.

BTW, non-Gawker sources...

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/12/27/tech/north-korea-expert-doubts-about-hack/index.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2887081/North-Korea-NOT-Sony-hack-according-multiple-security-experts-discredit-FBI-findings-reveal-insider-named-Lena-responsible.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/24/no-north-korea-didn-t-hack-sony.html?via=desktop&source=twitter

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2014/1222/Was-North-Korea-behind-the-Sony-hack-Not-all-experts-agree.-video

http://nypost.com/2014/12/30/new-evidence-sony-hack-was-inside-job-cyber-experts/

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
There is a general consensus that Sony's IT security is and has been terrible. So why is it so hard to believe that somebody with an axe to grind against Sony could find somebody else willing and able to successfully compromise their security?

It's entirely probable that McAfee communicated with someone claiming that they were responsible for the hack, but that has no bearing on whether the those people were actually telling the truth.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
havoc33 said:
Do you really think the US Goverment made a mistake in blaming NK? Come on man, of course they knew NK didn't do it. It just wasn't in their interest to tell the truth. We've all seen it way too many times before. Of course the government would use this event to further spin their agenda abroad. So in that sense you are right, it's indeed about politics.
I'm not really up to date on the US foreign policy and stuff but why would they want for people to think it's North Korea? I was under the impression they'd rather just pretend NK doesn't exist.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
And btw, it's "narc", not "nark"... Narc is slang shorthand for 'narcotics undercover agent', i.e. an infiltrator with the sole purpose of bringing down criminals from the start.

So his use of the term here is incorrect; he has not been sent in to find out more information by the government, after all...
Just like all the other things he's saying, anyway. *rolls eyes*.
I thought so too, but apparently the word "nark" predates the slang "narc" by about a century, according to Merrianm-Webster, [http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nark] Oxford [http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/nark] and Word Origins [http://www.wordorigins.org/index.php/more/425/]. So not only is the article's spelling correct, its usage of the word is more correct than if the alternative spelling had been used.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Elfgore said:

Or more likely it's just a man past his fame shouting "Notice me, Senpai!" by saying stupid shit. Wouldn't be the first time.
Last I heard, he lived in a country that does not extradite and doesn't give a shit about America, Korea, or Sony. So he can run his mouth all he wants. Now if he did live in a civilized place, if he said he has information but refused to share it, that would be illegal unless he could be protected by the 5th amendment or something like that.

But it really comes down to if he actually knows something or just looking for attention.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
That lunatic is on the short list of nations, people and organizations I believe less than US security agencies. If he had anything useful to say about this he still hasn't so I see no reason to believe him. Something useful, would be names, evidence or a trail to follow. But this is nothing but conspiracy theorist fodder until something substantial shows up. His anti-virus option has always been junk, he's nuttier than a Christmas fruitcake and a conspiracy theorist. I might as well invest in a tinfoil producer if I was to think he should be taken seriously.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Grimrider6 said:
Sources 1, 2 and 5 are using what Norse Security said for its proof. Norse basically saw a disgruntled Sony former Employee air his disgruntlement on forums online and made a logical leap of him helping hackers get in. so hardly any proof of it being inside job. Escapist themselves reported on this as well back then.

3rd and 4th story is the tale of Def Con worker tracing back ips to thier server hops. whoopy do, its not like hackers intentionaly lead those across the world to hide their tracks or anything. once again, no proof, only speculation.

I do agree that evidence on NK is flimsy (though FBI claims to not reveal it all during investigation, obviuosly). However to state that "Everyone knows it wasnt NK" is very brave considering there is no evidence for this.

And yeah, i pretty much agree with you on your later part of the post. it would be extremely hard to know for sure who did what at what point in this circus. Luckily it is not my job to know this or id be seriously worried.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I've seen a couple of articles about the skeptics about the origin of the hacks. Frankly I thought it was a little curious that the FBI was so quick to finger point NK as the culprit. That's a little unusual to honest. but the articles i read on the doubters were no more cogent in their disagreement than the FBI was in their accusation. The most rational of the doubters said that there were similarities between the attack on Sony and other attacks launched by NK but it was no smoking gun. That's fine if you are in a law court trying to meet a legal standard of beyond a reasonable doubt but as NK will never be hauled in front of a court for any of it's numerous sillynesses it's really moot.

The US, especially under Obama, has nothing to gain from falsely accusing the worlds favorite insane dictatorship for this. So if it is a false flag as very many people in the internet have suggested, the question becomes "why?" followed by "who?" Some have suggested it was Sony which is laughable. the hack was extremely damaging to them far beyond the possible loss of funds from this silly Seth Rogan flick flopping. There are people in the entertainment world who will think twice about working with Sony ever again as a result of the very nasty correspondence that was leaked. The public at large thinks less of them too.

I guess that would leave either NK or as McAfee suggests some kind of anti-copyright hacktivist group slamming Sony for it's copyright behaviors. If it's the latter I would really like to know how the FBI could have gotten that so wrong that they were utterly certain enough about it being NK that they publicly accused them of it. Occam's Razor is telling that in the absence of better evidence it's more likely to be NK than random hackers.

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Elfgore said:
It is illegal. But no one will give a shit because there is no way in hell that the US government and the FBI will admit that they've made a mistake. Everyone with half a brain knows that NK didn't do this. FBI lied. The President went on national TV and said it was NK. It would be embarrassing for them to admit that they were wrong now. The government doesn't like to be embarrassed. This isn't about national security. It's about politics. And the last thing politicians care about is the truth.
Totally agree. The same country went to war against a certain middle eastern country when the CIA 100% certain that country had WMDs. A very much all or nothing attitude

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
The white parts of his hair and beard- It's cocaine, isn't it? Or maybe more of those "bath salts".
Revolutionary said:
Because as we all know, John McAfee: Paragon of reliability and not at all a complete fucking lunatic.
Because you have Kreiger from Archer as your avatar, I read that in his voice, and it was glorious.